Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I noticed in the scene where BadCoop is making his phone call, all the CCTV shots watching his call look very similar to the CCTV shots in FWWM when Phillip Jeffferies comes back. I was also thinking that since the weird device that the woman with theme music sends a message to, and BadCoop calls in that scene is in Argentina, that it's disappearance/folding-into-itself is a signal to Phillip to contact the man in the office with the big red square to send Ike on his murder quest. Maybe another backup to getting rid of Dougie if all else fails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

n4 posted:

That was my first thought but there was nothing physically that resembled that guy that I could see.

He looked exactly the same to me, and very reminiscent of Philip Gerard showing up in the original Pilot.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The idea of Gordon Cole whistling Rammstein's Engel is very, very funny to me. I choose to believe he's almost deaf because he listened to way too much metal.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

n4 posted:

That was my first thought but there was nothing physically that resembled that guy that I could see.

TheMaestroso posted:

He looked exactly the same to me, and very reminiscent of Philip Gerard showing up in the original Pilot.

I mean, it was a long shot, but everything about him looked like the guy in the cell that floated away. And the shots in the hall and him passing the doorway were very similar to Gerard scenes in the hospital. But who the hell is he? (Edit: Not to mention that the ominous humming starts the second he shows up in the shot and follows him to the last bit.)

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The burnt man is Phillip Jeffries.

Calling it now :colbert:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

YancyQ posted:

The burnt man is Phillip Jeffries.

Calling it now :colbert:

I really like that, but I don't think that Lynch would recast Bowie like that.

He much more resembles a character from the Jefferies scene in FWWM that I think was played by Jurgen Prochnow and credited as "Woodsman".
(Edit: Maybe "Woodsman" was the spirit occupying Jefferies?)

(Edit2: This guy)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdmYsbW-cY&t=106s

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 19, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Panamaniac posted:

that wasn't the float-away guy that was in the cell near matthew lillard early on, was it?

The guy who floated away was thinner, if I remember correctly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The "burnt man" is clearly the Raincoat Killer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's really understandable to conflate the two mystery dudes because they're both disheveled men with scraggly beards and dark clothes appearing ominously somewhere it seems like they shouldn't be within the same plotline, but they're for real not the same guy if you go back and check.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Section 9 posted:

He much more resembles a character from the Jefferies scene in FWWM that I think was played by Jurgen Prochnow and credited as "Woodsman".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How is this show so loving good every week? Even the sweeping scene was great and it was literally just a dude sweeping :stare:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

drat, well thank you for doing the comparison photos so I don't need to bother. Not sure what to think from this though. I mean, I suppose lodge spirits can shave, but...hmmm. (Edit: There's a little lapel or something on the left shoulder of both the Woodsman and the guy in the cell that look similar. But I'm probably reaching.)

Jerusalem posted:

How is this show so loving good every week? Even the sweeping scene was great and it was literally just a dude sweeping :stare:

I loved that his first reaction was to push Janey-E out of harms way.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 19, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Am I the only one that thinks Janey-E and Sonny Jim are weird rear end fake sounding names?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Section 9 posted:

drat, well thank you for doing the comparison photos so I don't need to bother. Not sure what to think from this though. I mean, I suppose lodge spirits can shave, but...hmmm.

To be honest, I have no idea if that's supposed to be a real connection. I'm just keeping it in mind considering FWWM is supposed to be - and has been thus far - very important to the new season.

quote:

I loved that his first reaction was to push Janey-E out of harms way.

Yeah, totally. Especially since everything he did seemed to be pure instinctual reaction, like that's just what Cooper HAS to do in that situation.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Janey-E and Sonny Jim are weird rear end fake sounding names?

Allow me to point you to discussion from a month ago.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

TheMaestroso posted:

Yeah, totally. Especially since everything he did seemed to be pure instinctual reaction, like that's just what Cooper HAS to do in that situation.

I think he "remembered" what to do seeing the boxing poster behind his boss's desk.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I'm watching the first episode of season one. It makes me sad that harry s Truman won't be in this season. He and coop had such great chemistry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheMaestroso posted:

If anything, I'm even more confused about what the rules are for how Dougie operates now because he goes from being childlike to being quick on his feet well-trained FBI agent back to being childlike again.

I'm glad we got to see Coop reappearing to protect Janey, but how does he just turn it on and off like that since it stops as soon as the threat's over? He seems like he's learning everything else for the first time, like he retained almost nothing from Coop, but how did he retain this and nothing else?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

nopants posted:

I'm watching the first episode of season one. It makes me sad that harry s Truman won't be in this season. He and coop had such great chemistry.

While I do miss Harry, I feel like having Frank in that role is there to give us a glimpse at what Season1 and 2 would have been like if Robert Forster had been the original Harry. Lots of the cameos seem like bringing back actors from the original series for one last scene (Edit: with little importance to the plot), so it feels right that they would bring in the guy who almost would have been Harry to finish it off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheMaestroso posted:

Allow me to point you to discussion from a month ago.

I must have missed those pages. Never mind then.:ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

nopants posted:

The Cooper/Truman friendship from the original run was so great, I miss it too.

That episode in season 2 where Cooper asks Truman to find him a trustworthy man to go on a dangerous and unsanctioned mission with him, and then his reaction when he realizes who Truman has picked... :shobon:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Jerusalem posted:

The Cooper/Truman friendship from the original run was so great, I miss it too.

That episode in season 2 where Cooper asks Truman to find him a trustworthy man to go on a dangerous and unsanctioned mission with him, and then his reaction when he realizes who Truman has picked... :shobon:

Awww....now I'm going to be sad if Season 3 doesn't end with Harry recovering from whatever illness he has to give Cooper a hug in the last episode.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Section 9 posted:

I originally thought that he was a woodsman, but now I think that he's going to be a character instead of a prop and Jeffries is the only person that makes sense in this context.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm glad we got to see Coop reappearing to protect Janey, but how does he just turn it on and off like that since it stops as soon as the threat's over? He seems like he's learning everything else for the first time, like he retained almost nothing from Coop, but how did he retain this and nothing else?

Dougie/Coop is technically better than old Coop because he actually managed to save the girl!

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Are the balloons on the tent outside Dougie Corp procreating?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

YancyQ posted:

I originally thought that he was a woodsman, but now I think that he's going to be a character instead of a prop and Jeffries is the only person that makes sense in this context.

No, that does make some sense. Jeffries must play a role in this somewhere, and he's been working with BadCoop so who knows. As much as this episode tied up some questions, it opened up a lot more.

YancyQ posted:

Dougie/Coop is technically better than old Coop because he actually managed to save the girl!

Whoa!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

If anything, I'm even more confused about what the rules are for how Dougie operates now because he goes from being childlike to being quick on his feet well-trained FBI agent back to being childlike again.

I feel like it's much the same as "He's lying" from two episodes ago - brief surges of instinctual reaction, like the tip of the iceberg that is Coop's true self coming through momentarily.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I want to see a loop of Kyle Maclachlan throat-chopping an assassin every time I close my eyes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PantsBandit posted:

I want to see a loop of Kyle Maclachlan throat-chopping an assassin every time I close my eyes.

The stock sound effect made it even better.:lol:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

There have been a lot of moments that I have liked so far in the series, but that whole takedown scene was the first time I jumped out of my chair, did a bunch of fist pumps, and shouted "gently caress YEAH!".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Seems to me he may know and remember everything from his old life, he just lacks a sense of urgency and motivation most of the time. Possibly from sitting in a chair for 25 years, possibly because an evil entity has half his life-force.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 19, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think I am coming around to Dougie.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think I am coming around to Dougie.

WTF? How do I like a post in this horribly outdated forum system?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I don't think he's childlike, I think he's maladjusted because he spent 25 years just sitting in a chair speaking to incomprehensible people. This scene was just his FBI instincts.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Feels like maybe he retains instinct, but not conscious knowledge?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lycus posted:

I don't think he's childlike, I think he's maladjusted because he spent 25 years just sitting in a chair speaking to incomprehensible people. This scene was just his FBI instincts.
I mean yeah, he's maladjusted, but he also doesn't know how to do or say almost anything for himself. He's imitating what people do and say and he's fascinated by little trivial things.

Also, oh my god:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

So the airplane windows blink in and out of existence in a particular order and I can't imagine that being anything more than a gag.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Section 9 posted:

it's called emptyquoting

Fastened Portal Bart
Dec 16, 2004
Tally ho!
Anyone else find it odd that Ray was ...not scared for his life? He obviously knows Darya didn't carry out the hit, and now Danzig is breaking him out of prison in the middle of the night, and he seems totally fine with it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Section 9 posted:

Try using "words"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

That scene in the morgue corridor gave me some good old fashioned chills. I love how ominous it felt, even though from an objective view nothing actually happened.

drat fine episode there.