Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ayn Marx posted:

SRM what's your recipe for realistic black skin? I want to include some black marines in my bigly army

I've been bouncing around doing different techniques but the latest I like is Doombull Brown > Purple wash > Doombull Brown leaving the wash in the recesses > Bugman's Glow highlight.

I got my first game of 8th in, I liked it a lot. I didn't do a battle report since we were still just learning the game, but here's the battle:

And here's some of his Tinboyz he just finished; somebody was posting about Tinboyz in the old thread and I thought the timing was good:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Super super space marines got me back after 14 years away. I have 2x Primaris core sets coming.

What have I done?!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I saw vaylund Cal's rules, they made him boring.

He's basically just a T6 techmarine with an iron halo, an S10 hammer with 3 attacks, and the generic chapter master rerolls they all get. He's still A3 like a normal techmarine, and he has little reason to ever use his two servo arms. He's also not Iron Hands now, he's explicitly Sons of Medusa.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SRM posted:

I've been bouncing around doing different techniques but the latest I like is Doombull Brown > Purple wash > Doombull Brown leaving the wash in the recesses > Bugman's Glow highlight.

Thanks for this. I will have to try it out.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The models look great and the paint job is incredible but I still maintain that cult armies (and Tau T'au) don't remotely fit into 40k and instead look like they just came out of some new release of Mantic's Warpath game (which is rad and I would totally play if I could drag my friends into it)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I understand I can do that. It doesn't solve the problem at all. My assault range is still lower than it was previously. Particularly with Ork Trukks.

I'm glad there's extra tactical flexibility and all that, and it's good to be able to use Rhinos with assault troops. But for armies that were already well equipped to assault out of their transports, you lose at least 3" off of your expected charge range.

Just bring Battlewagons.

Wagon rolls up, boyz can shoot. Next turn boyz jump out, and everybody assaults with the wagon going in first to soak the Overwatch. Win/win.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my takeaway from the last battle:

Heavy bolter devastators did a lot more than I expected them to, thanks to the signum and the cherub.

Terminators performed pretty well. I think they'd do better vs an army that can't trivially make a string of 4 point models across the battlefield to deny deep striking.

Having more bolters and investing in plasma cannons did a ton to help my volume of fire issues. Once they got into my kill zone the 3 tac squads tore tyranids apart.

Chaplains are loving amazing. He took tac marines from being okay in melee, to killing 7 gaunts a turn per squad with those rerolls.

It was my first game with tactical objectives in 8th and I got totally hosed by them. Was pretty rough.

Having a jump pack captain around that can suicide into a character seems pretty useful. Killing that broodlord led to the whole flank collapsing from lack of synapse. If he wasn't my warlord though he wouldn't have gotten the kill, he needed that +1 attack.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 19, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

goose willis posted:

The models look great and the paint job is incredible but I still maintain that cult armies (and Tau T'au) don't remotely fit into 40k and instead look like they just came out of some new release of Mantic's Warpath game (which is rad and I would totally play if I could drag my friends into it)

GSC look like updated versions of the old rogue trader models and they're cool and good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

chutche2 posted:

So my takeaway from the last battle:

Heavy bolter devastators did a lot more than I expected them to, thanks to the signum and the cherub.

Terminators performed pretty well. I think they'd do better vs an army that can't trivially make a string of 4 point models across the battlefield to deny deep striking.

Having more bolters and investing in plasma cannons did a ton to help my volume of fire issues. Once they got into my kill zone the 3 tac squads tore tyranids apart.

Chaplains are loving amazing. He took tac marines from being okay in melee, to killing 7 gaunts a turn per squad with those rerolls.

It was my first game with tactical objectives in 8th and I got totally hosed by them. Was pretty rough.

Having a jump pack captain around that can suicide into a character seems pretty useful. Killing that broodlord led to the whole flank collapsing from lack of synapse. If he wasn't my warlord though he wouldn't have gotten the kill, he needed that +1 attack.

Sounds like hordes aren't impossible to defeat after all!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JBP posted:

Sounds like hordes aren't impossible to defeat after all!

You're sure right! I'm glad we're in agreement, since no one else in this thread has suggested they are impossible to defeat!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SRM posted:

I got my first game of 8th in, I liked it a lot. I didn't do a battle report since we were still just learning the game, but here's the battle:

And here's some of his Tinboyz he just finished; somebody was posting about Tinboyz in the old thread and I thought the timing was good:

:allears:

If you would have said this was a game of 2nd Edition I'd have believed you.

Please say you're making a bunch of retro colored bigmars.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

I hope not. There are no 2nd ed biglys. :colbert:

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

"Finished" this thing tonight. Real happy with it. May clean up some of the edge highlighting tomorrow. =\

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alokgen posted:

"Finished" this thing tonight. Real happy with it. May clean up some of the edge highlighting tomorrow. =\

Looks great dude. I have never finished a model.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Alokgen posted:

This is done. Remove the quotes from finished. Work on the next model. You win this one.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AndyElusive posted:

:allears:

If you would have said this was a game of 2nd Edition I'd have believed you.

I was thinking about it but my Primaris bros are gonna be more modern. I have a wild hair to get someone to sculpt me a retro-appropriate Guilliman but that'd be a lot of money to get done.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Thanks to who suggested agrax earthshade btw, it makes my bronzes look way better.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Rules query I want to check out. You can't move within 1 inch of an enemy model. The FLY keyword allows you to move across terrain and models as if they were not there. Does this mean that you can fly over enemy models? What about when you charge?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wavering...

Super tempted to make him a Blood Angel or Blood Drinker.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Rules query I want to check out. You can't move within 1 inch of an enemy model. The FLY keyword allows you to move across terrain and models as if they were not there. Does this mean that you can fly over enemy models? What about when you charge?

You can move over them freely as long as your move doesn't finish within 1" of an enemy base. Same for charging.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

You can move over them freely as long as your move doesn't finish within 1" of an enemy base. Same for charging.

That's how I read and it and we played it yesterday, but wanted to be sure.

So in theory as you dont need LOS to charge, you could hide a flying unit behind a building, charge a unit on the other side of the building, and as you weren't in LOS at start of charge there's no overwatch?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Serotonin posted:

That's how I read and it and we played it yesterday, but wanted to be sure.

So in theory as you dont need LOS to charge, you could hide a flying unit behind a building, charge a unit on the other side of the building, and as you weren't in LOS at start of charge there's no overwatch?

yep.

Same as dropping a unit on the far side of a dedicated transport and charging a unit on the other side. No overwatch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

chutche2 posted:

I have no problem with gaunts, I think Genestealers are over powered but also necessary for tyranids to work currently, and I think anti infantry guns aren't good enough. I don't know why you're trying to turn this into some kind of meme.

You are a meme.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Now, now, there's plenty of room for a cupola memes around here.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for the skin painting advice guys both recipes look cool. I'll try and report back

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, now that I've got the forgeworld point values, here's what I'm doing for my next list:

Battalion detachment:
HQ:

Vaylund Cal (167)
Captain with jump pack, storm bolter, relic blade (116)

Troops:
2 tac squads, each with combi-plasma, plasmagun, plasma cannon (179 each)
Scout squad with sniper rifles (75)

Heavy support:
Devastator squad with storm bolter, cherub, 3 heavy bolters, missile launcher (127)
Relic deimos predator with plasma destroyer, 2 lascannons, storm bolter (209)

Dedicated transport:
Rhino with 2 storm bolters (74)
Razorback with 2 lascannons and storm bolter (117)

Vanguard detachment:
Terminator chaplain with storm bolter (117)
Contemptor with multimelta (167)
5 terminators with power sword, 4 power fists, 1 assault cannon (243)
5 Cataphractii with power sword, 2 chainfists, 2 double lightning claws (230)

ijyt posted:

You are a meme.

Remind me, when was the last time you posted anything with any redeeming value or merit?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 19, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Remind me, when was the last time you posted anything with any redeeming value or merit?

You could have made the gentle ribbing go away by just ignoring it but you just have to keep up the abrasive posts and weird obsessions

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Ayn Marx posted:

You could have made the gentle ribbing go away by just ignoring it but you just have to keep up the abrasive posts and weird obsessions

Yeah, I tried that for like a month. So gently caress it, why not respond?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GreenMarine posted:

Wavering...

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I really, really like this red.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Suppose I am an Australian that might be curious if I can avoid getting absolutely loving gouged by Games Workshop. Where's the cheapest place for me to get warhams these days?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

chutche2 posted:

Another fight vs my Tyranid opponent.

My list:

I think your problem is that there are only a coupla couplas.

AgentF posted:

Suppose I am an Australian that might be curious if I can avoid getting absolutely loving gouged by Games Workshop. Where's the cheapest place for me to get warhams these days?

As a Noozie lander our national post office offers a service called youshop where you can get things sent to an american/chinese/uk address that they then forward back home, for items from places that would otherwise be national postage only. Is there anything in Aussie similar to that?

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 19, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AgentF posted:

Emerald Games if they actually have anything in stock, The Combat Company, Mighty Ape, Bunker Games (if you don't mind waiting).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Now, now, there's plenty of room for a cupola memes around here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

Wavering...

I'm the scope that doesnt clear the iron sight

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I'm the skull that'll give you a big fright!

Remember folks, drill your sights! :derp:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

For those of you who play Deathwatch, how do you usually equip your squads?

I'd like to stay pretty fluffy and use what comes on the sprue (lots of power swords, etc) so I don't have to kitbash, while still maintaining some semblance of effectiveness.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, I tried that for like a month. So gently caress it, why not respond?

Because it makes you look foolish. If you want something to go away you never respond to it. You ignore the comment, regardless of how tempting it is to defend yourself, and focus on what you want to talk about. Every time you respond to someone you are validating that person. Your reply is a clear indication that they got to you and that whatever they posted is important to you. I'm doing the same thing right now by posting this very message, because frankly I'm tired of how easily the thread gets derailed when people get under your skin.

Please keep posting battle reports. Those are great.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Endman posted:

For those of you who play Deathwatch, how do you usually equip your squads?

I'd like to stay pretty fluffy and use what comes on the sprue (lots of power swords, etc) so I don't have to kitbash, while still maintaining some semblance of effectiveness.

All Frag Cannons all the time.

Don't so what the studio does and mix your squads, keep them focused. Bolter squads with Frag Cannons for general murder, Shotgun squads for close assault, Stalker squads for removing characters. Chuck in a single Termi/Bike/Jetpack for the bonus.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

How'd you do the shoulder emblem?

I'm thinking of using instant mold to quick cast one of my resin pads and use that as a mold for green stuff emblems on the primaris. I actually cut one of the pads off of an intercessor and replaced it with a sculpted pad but no way I'm doing that for all of them.

Shapeways sells a bunch. Specifically the Pop! Goes the Monkey store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Moola posted:

People comment on that a lot, but you can actually put surprising amounts of stuff in front of a scope before it's noticable. Optics are weird.
:goonsay: