Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Brother Entropy posted:

was it really just the quips or what

what does your heart tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Equeen posted:

what does your heart tell you

to love the snyder haters unconditionally like my boy supes would've wanted

but also yes the quips thing

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been seeing posts on the internet about a script for WW written by Joss Whedon, is that real?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Toady posted:

Diana, whose name is similar to Adonai, initially appears to represent a neo Old Testament war god. As Yahweh and Zeus were storm gods, Diana inherits lightning powers. In the final battle, she embraces the New Testament view that love will save everyone, and she forms an electric cross in the sky, yet her actions are hypocritically full of bloodshed. Her superhero uniform is battle armor. Her link with humanity is a dead man whose imagery she cherishes. She leads humanity in modern-day wars for alleged humanitarian reasons. She shrugs her shoulders and accepts that mankind will do whatever it wants instead of educating humanity through character refinement (Da'at Torah). The film effectively acts as a Jewish critique of Christianity.
But wasn't the Jesus's whole point to educate provide an example of how people should live? The parables and "my greatest commandment is to love one another as I have loved you" and all that. Unless you're saying that modern Christianity in practice is not necessarily the love and peace philosophy it claims to be? Maybe I'm just obtuse and am missing the point you're making.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been seeing posts on the internet about a script for WW written by Joss Whedon, is that real?

real lovely, yeah

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Equeen posted:

real lovely, yeah
"Its like Christmas!"

Speaking of the script, one of the things I liked about WW was how even though she was naive and innocent to the real world she wasn't portrayed as being dumb. I find that naive characters can sometimes being annoying because their naïveté becomes stupidity and weakness. I guess that's why I like the "fish out of water" description a bit more and it doesn't carry the same implications to me when someone is described as naive or innocent.

Another thing I liked was how quickly Steve stepped back and realized his role was to support Diana. There was none of the usual tropes of "I'm not going to be lead by a woman" from anyone on the team. They all quickly realized that she was an absolute badass and could handle things herself. The "terrified and aroused" line was dumb though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
There's not much Christian about Wonder Woman. There's a split second where she's in the sky with her arms apart, but it's much more a 'god gently descending from the heavens' pose than a crucifixion - which makes sense, since she's just obliterated Ares with divine might.

Broadly, Wonder Woman in this movie serves as a mirror to Batman in BvS. Where Batman was so cynical that he'd kill a man because he thinks they're God, she's so idealistic she'd kill a man because she thinks they're God. The difference lies in why killing God is such a good idea.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
WW had a spectacular 3rd weekend, only dropping 30%.

Domestic is now 274 million, Global total 570 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4300&p=.htm

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ungulateman posted:

There's not much Christian about Wonder Woman. There's a split second where she's in the sky with her arms apart, but it's much more a 'god gently descending from the heavens' pose than a crucifixion - which makes sense, since she's just obliterated Ares with divine might.

Broadly, Wonder Woman in this movie serves as a mirror to Batman in BvS. Where Batman was so cynical that he'd kill a man because he thinks they're God, she's so idealistic she'd kill a man because she thinks they're God. The difference lies in why killing God is such a good idea.

I think I should bring up the scene where she body checks a steeple, toppling it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

But snipers would often hide in church steeples and destroying the steeple or entire church was sometimes the only way to stop them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
And that sniper...was Jesus Christ

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

404notfound posted:

The movie almost doesn't even pass the Bechdel test, once we get out of Themyscira. There was the brief "trying on outfits" scene between Diana and the secretary, but after that we don't even have female characters interacting with one another.

Stop bringing up the Bechdel test as some authority on a film's feminism. It's an especially strange film to use it as a criticism on, since the film unambiguously passes it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Okay it passes the Bechdel Test, but on a scale of 1-5, did it just technically pass or totally ace the test?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I always preferred the lamp test, invented by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

Replace the female lead with a sexy lamp. Does the film change?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can it be the leg lamp from A Christmas Story?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Apollo posted:

But snipers would often hide in church steeples and destroying the steeple or entire church was sometimes the only way to stop them.

Diana is the God Killer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I always preferred the lamp test, invented by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

Replace the female lead with a sexy lamp. Does the film change?
I'ma be honest, I never understood how that test is supposed to work. Are these some sort of...sentient sexy lamps that can move from place to place and carry a conversation? Do leading men like Tom Cruise and Christian Bale know that they're speaking to faceless lamp creatures from some hellish dimension and kissing them and loving them, Clive Barker-style? 'Cuz right now I'm imagining an island filled with nothing but sexy lamps who train and ride horses and are ruled by the Lamp Queen who hosed Zeus and begat a precocious Lamp Princess.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I'ma be honest, I never understood how that test is supposed to work. Are these some sort of...sentient sexy lamps that can move from place to place and carry a conversation? Do leading men like Tom Cruise and Christian Bale know that they're speaking to faceless lamp creatures from some hellish dimension and kissing them and loving them, Clive Barker-style? 'Cuz right now I'm imagining an island filled with nothing but sexy lamps who train and ride horses and are ruled by the Lamp Queen who hosed Zeus and begat a precocious Lamp Princess.

Well, that's the point. The amazonians do things. A lamp does not. A half assed lady character does not. It merely exists and is moved around at the behest of other characters.

Princess Leia couldn't be a lamp, since a lamp could not rescue the heroes moments after herself being rescued. The complete non entity of a female lead in Jurassic World could totally be swapped with a lamp, and the only change would be that it would need help smearing itself in dino poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean I thought the woman in Jurassic World was a little one-dimensional but I'm pretty sure her nephews and Chris Pratt would notice if they were interacting with a lamp all this time.

It's possible I'm thinking of this too literally. :buddy:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Schwarzwald posted:

Diana is the God Killer.
I know and I understand what you're getting at but it seems like almost every war movie has a scene with a sniper in a bell tower where the tower or church end up getting shelled and destroyed. I guess I just see it as too common of a war movie scene to read too much into it.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 19, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BrianWilly posted:

I mean I thought the woman in Jurassic World was a little one-dimensional but I'm pretty sure her nephews and Chris Pratt would notice if they were interacting with a lamp all this time.

It's possible I'm thinking of this too literally. :buddy:
Maybe that's the joke but the way I view it is "does the female character's dialogue and actions significantly advance the plot forward?"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Schwarzwald posted:

Diana is the God Killer.

You know, she did give Doomsday the blade that killed Superman...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's looking like it'll overtake BvS sooner than I expected ...

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...ad/Man-of-Steel

It ain't slowing down :stare:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's looking like it'll overtake BvS sooner than I expected ...

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...ad/Man-of-Steel

It ain't slowing down :stare:

This is amazong :allears:

[edit] I was going to correct that typo, but nah.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a solid movie, but more than that, it's a case of right place, right time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

This is amazong :allears:

It'll also overtake Deadpool pretty soon and it's closing in on Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 pretty fast. After that we'll see if it can catch Spider-Man, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3, which would make it the 5th most successful superhero film in the domestic front with only Avengers, The Dark Knight, Avengers: Age of Ultron and The Dark Knight Rises ahead of it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how overtaking BvS is treated like an actual goal.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tenzarin posted:

If you're talking about movies making money then why wouldn't it be?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

The goal of a film, any tentpole/blockbuster film, is not only to be critically successful but also commercially successful. That's the movie business. So, yeah. Wonder Woman clearly is a success among fans and critics, so why wouldn't overtaking another film's box office returns, especially one in its own franchise/series, be an actual goal?

[edit] There are exceptions though. Like Transformers. Their goal is to be complete poo poo but still have large box office returns.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 19, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He thinks because he didn't like Beavis and it got slammed by critics that it didn't make a lot of money. However, it did

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wonder Woman was never expected to outperform Batman v Superman, especially by WB. Its budget was $100 million lower than BvS and there's practically zero merchandise out there compared to the tidal wave of toys and branded snack products they rolled out for BvS. They backed BvS way way way harder than they backed WW.

I was in one of the bigger department stores in my local CBD last week and they have a huge toy department and they still had aisles and aisles of BvS toys and still had lifesize Batfleck and Superman statues as part of their display:

Someone in the toy department had tried to set up a Wonder Woman display up the back of the store and only managed to fill 2/3 of a shelf with WW toys. Most of them were from DC's generic range and the only DCEU WW figure they had was from BvS. They had zero toys specific to the Wonder Woman film.

For some reason WB just didn't bother trying to cash in on WW. I know they released action figures and toys for the film but I never saw any, whereas there was no avoiding the BvS toys.

teagone posted:

The goal of a film, any tentpole/blockbuster film

Wonder Woman isn't a tentpole film. BvS and Justice League are the tentpoles in the franchise, they had much bigger budgets and masses and masses of tie in merchandise. WW is the hammock between the tentpoles which means they expected the popularity of the bigger films to carry it along.

DeimosRising posted:

He thinks because he didn't like Beavis and it got slammed by critics that it didn't make a lot of money. However, it did

No one said that BvS didn't make a lot of money

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 19, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

No one said that BvS didn't make a lot of money

Then why wouldn't Wonder Woman overtaking it be an "actual goal"?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Then why wouldn't Wonder Woman overtaking it be an "actual goal"?

Because it's a wonderful surprise, not what the film set out to do.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MrJacobs posted:

Because it's a wonderful surprise, not what the film set out to do.

Sure, if that's what you believe Tenzarin meant.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wonder Woman isn't a tentpole film. BvS and Justice League are the tentpoles in the franchise, they had much bigger budgets and masses and masses of tie in merchandise. WW is the hammock between the tentpoles which means they expected the popularity of the bigger films to carry it along.

Uhh, what? Every DCEU film is a tentpole film for WB. WW is one of their Summer tentpoles, along with Dunkirk.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

Sure, if that's what you believe Tenzarin meant.

I'm not exactly sure what Tenzarin meant ....

I was trying to use the box office numbers as an indicator of popularity as measured by how many people turned up to watch the movie. I think it's pretty funny that Batman + Superman + Wonder Woman = a truckload of tickets sold but if you subtract Batman and Superman from the equation then you apparently end up selling even more tickets. :v:

teagone posted:

Uhh, what? Every DCEU film is a tentpole film for WB. It's one of their Summer tentpoles, along with Dunkirk.

I was going by the technical definitions of 'tentpole' and 'hammock'. The amount of merchandise the film is expected to sell is usually a big part of what makes a films a tentpole these days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent-pole_(entertainment)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 19, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For some reason WB just didn't bother trying to cash in on WW.
:ssh: Ah yes for some reason she's a female character, very mysterious she's a female character, what could it possibly be SHE'S A

(actually, Ike Perlmutter doesn't run the WB so I dunno what their stance on such things would be lol)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was going by the technical definitions of 'tentpole' and 'hammock'. The amount of merchandise the film is expected to sell is usually a big part of what makes a films a tentpole these days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent-pole_(entertainment)

Except every news outlet has described Wonder Woman as a summer tentpole film, because it is. I've seen plenty of WW merchandise out there. Maybe not as much as BvS, but it has its share. And, sort of relevant, if you read Uproxx's article about WB not promoting WW enough, Vanity Fair debunked that:

quote:

“You Aren’t Imagining It, ‘Wonder Woman’ Really Isn’t Being Well Promoted” reads a headline for a Donna Dickens piece on Uproxx comparing the number of trailers and promotional videos for Wonder Woman relative to last summer’s Suicide Squad and next fall’s Justice League. “The lack of marketing worries me,” writes Shana O’Neil at SyfyWire. “It worries a lot of people who are invested in the success of female superheroes in film and television.”

So… is Warner’s really burying Wonder Woman? Five weeks is a long way out in movie-marketing land. Especially during the crowded popcorn season we’re entering. Let’s look at some data: according to iSpot, which tracks TV advertising, W.B. has spent $3,043,212 so far on ads for Wonder Woman. At five weeks out, the studio had spent $2,645,643 on ads for Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman ads aired during the Kids Choice Awards and the N.C.A.A. finals, and there were promotions for the film at South by Southwest and Wondercon. On Thursday—perhaps hearing the call from fans—the studio dropped two new trailers for the film, one heavy with action and another with wit. So far, at least, Warner Bros. seems to be giving Wonder Woman a fair deal. But if the studio falters in its release, it’s clear there will be an army of braceleted fists shaking about it.

[edit] Also relevant, Bloomberg had an article estimating Wonder Woman movie toy sales to bring in 100 million in revenue—less than many of the traditional male superhero tie-ins but still a significant amount of revenue. Article was published on June 5th https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-05/wonder-woman-s-secret-power-bridging-the-boy-girl-toy-gap Here's a choice quote:

quote:

At a Detroit area Walmart last week, Wonder Woman dolls and accessories outnumbered the collection of Spider-man stuff. Clothing items were displayed throughout the store and products even included ready-to-bake cookies from Pillsbury. Target, GAP, Kohl’s and Amazon.com will also carry Wonder Woman merchandise; globally, the product line will include themed underwear, camping gear and home décor.

Walmart led the merchandising blitz for WW by launching several toy lines in their stores back in March. And WB/DC also launched an online store specifically to sell Wonder Woman-centric merchandise online: https://wonderwomanshop.com

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

And, sort of relevant, if you read Uproxx's article about WB not promoting WW enough, Vanity Fair debunked that:

$3 million on TV ads for WW is a pittance. WB dropped $28m on TV ads for BvS and there were an additional $18m of ads paid for by sponsors like Dodge and General Mills and all the toy companies that brought the total ad budget for BvS to $46 million. Fox spent over $23m buying ads for Deadpool.

WB also didn't put that much $$$ behind advertising Suicide Squad compared to other movies, it was a cheap move for Vanity Fair to draw that comparison.

teagone posted:

quote:

At a Detroit area Walmart last week, Wonder Woman dolls and accessories outnumbered the collection of Spider-man stuff

For a start you'd expect a superhero movie that had just come out to have more merch on the shelves than a superhero movie that wasn't in theatres for another month yet, especially since Marvel has been downplaying Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men toys for the last few years. I'd be interested to know if there was more Wonder Woman toys than Batman or Superman toys in those stores, the article very carefully didn't mention that.

(The various stores I visited last week had a more Spider-Man: Homecoming toys than Wonder Woman movie toys but they had more BvS and Avengers toys than either.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

$3 million on TV ads for WW is a pittance. WB dropped $28m on TV ads for BvS and there were an additional $18m of ads paid for by sponsors like Dodge and General Mills and all the toy companies that brought the total ad budget for BvS to $46 million. Fox spent over $23m buying ads for Deadpool.

WB also didn't put that much $$$ behind advertising Suicide Squad compared to other movies, it was a cheap move for Vanity Fair to draw that comparison.

Those estimates were 5 weeks out of the film's release. AdAge reported that, again based on iSpot.tv estimates, the total amount WB has dropped on TV ads for WW to this point is about $24.8 million http://adage.com/article/media/s-a-critic/309360/

quote:

According to iSpot.tv estimates, the studio thus far has invested $24.8 million in national TV inventory, which is within shooting range of the initial outlay for Warner/DC's 2016 release, "Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice." The comparable TV spend for that film, which introduced Gal Gadot in the Wonder Woman role, was $29 million.

• Locked thread