Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Inside ‘The Mummy’s’ Troubles: Tom Cruise Had Excessive Control

Universal, according to sources familiar with the matter, contractually guaranteed Cruise control of most aspects of the project, from script approval to post-production decisions. He also had a great deal of input on the film’s marketing and release strategy, these sources said, advocating for a June debut in a prime summer period.

There were other ways that “The Mummy” was transformed from a scary summer popcorn movie into a standard-issue Tom Cruise vehicle. The actor personally commissioned two other writers along with McQuarrie to crank out a new script. Two of the film’s three credited screenwriters, McQuarrie and Dylan Kussman, an actor-writer who played small roles in “The Mummy” and “Jack Reacher,” were close allies of Cruise’s. The script envisioned Nick Morton as an earnest Tom Cruise archetype, who is laughably described as a “young man” at one point.

His writers beefed up his part. In the original script, Morton and the Mummy (played by Sofia Boutella) had nearly equal screen time. The writers also added a twist that saw Cruise’s character become possessed, to give him more of a dramatic arc. Even though Universal executives weren’t thrilled about the story — which feels disjointed and includes Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll — they went along with Cruise’s vision.

Once the film was done, Cruise brought in his longtime editor Andrew Mondshein to piece together the final picture. (The film’s credits also list Gina and Paul Hirsch as editors.) He spent time in the editing suite overseeing the cutting, which everybody agreed wasn’t working. On the lot, there were differences of opinions about whether Cruise’s directions were improving a picture that had been troubled from its inception or whether they were turning a horror film into a Cruise infomercial. Some believed that Cruise had no choice but to assert himself. Given Kurtzman’s inexperience directing tentpoles, Cruise, who has carried heavily choreographed action movies all his life, had to try to rally the troops or risk having the production fall behind schedule.

Universal knew that if it wanted “The Mummy” to compete against the likes of “Wonder Woman” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” it needed every ounce of Cruise’s waning star power. As the studio scrambled to deal with weak tracking, it released a portrait in late May of Cruise with other actors from the Dark Universe franchise, including Depp and Javier Bardem (who will play Frankenstein). Yet the studio couldn’t even assemble all the actors in the room at the same time, and the image had to be Photoshopped. The Internet reaction to the last-ditch marketing effort was tepid at best. It was another reminder that the big names that once ruled Hollywood are inspiring a lot less love from audiences.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-meltdown-tom-cruise-1202465742/

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cruise should probably have made McQuarrie take over the director's chair too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

Wesley Snipes defeats the aliens by refusing to pay his taxes.

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/781228661101895680

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wesley Snipes is one hundred percent unironically a national treasure.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
He calls himself the Daywalker.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm hoping The Mummy doesn't tank the Dark Universe franchise. A dumbfun action-horror movie to look forward to on a regular basis could be fun. Or at least interesting.

Wesley seems to forget, or thinks everone else did, that he intentionally cheated on his taxes and tried to use Sovcit bullshit when he got caught.

davidspackage posted:

He was signing notes to the director of Blade III as Blade. Why notes? Because he was refusing to talk to him or even leave his trailer. He probably should have played things a bit nicer. At that point he was already in a lot of DTV poo poo and Blade was the only thing he had going for him.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 19, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

they might as well give this article the headline "Universal Throws Tom Cruise Under Bus Because Everyone Is One Bad Movie Away From Hating Him Anyways"

edit: Tom Cruise did not hire Kurtzman to direct, nor did he decide to turn a standard-issue Universal Horror Reboot into the loving Dark Universe. Tom Cruise is a big loving movie star who does this sort of thing with basically every movie he is in, and that is known right when you hire him, and Universal is pissed that unlike with something like Edge of Tomorrow or Jack Reacher it backfired on them. gently caress Universal.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 19, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

they might as well give this article the headline "Universal Throws Tom Cruise Under Bus Because Everyone Is One Bad Movie Away From Hating Him Anyways"

edit: Tom Cruise did not hire Kurtzman to direct, nor did he decide to turn a standard-issue Universal Horror Reboot into the loving Dark Universe. Tom Cruise is a big loving movie star who does this sort of thing with basically every movie he is in, and that is known right when you hire him, and Universal is pissed that unlike with something like Edge of Tomorrow or Jack Reacher it backfired on them. gently caress Universal.

I'm pretty sure everyone can figure out who screwed the pooch here for themselves

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Everyone in the general public is going to forget about how lame The Mummy was in a few months when that movie starring Cruise as a drug smuggler in the 80's comes out and everyone remembers that Tom Cruise is a stellar loving actor in addition to being a world-class movie star.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd like to nominate Blade to join the Dark Universe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leavemywife posted:

Well the MCU doesn't seem to want him so I guess he's free. :sigh:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Leavemywife posted:

just cast wesley snipes as van helsing, retcon him into being half-vampire, give him a leather jacket and sunglasses and dare Marvel to stop them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Cruise decided to become a dictator on The Mummy when he's always been really collaborative. That story's definitely some kind of spin.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The weird part is, it's already at just shy of 300 million worldwide. It's not going to be super profitable, but it's not going to lose money either.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They probably should have realized something was wrong when they had to rework their Mummy design after X-Men Apocalypse.

The idea of the Mummy being a betrayed princess or whatever could have been good, but whenever I think of this film I just feel like watching FraserMummy instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

The weird part is, it's already at just shy of 300 million worldwide. It's not going to be super profitable, but it's not going to lose money either.

It's doing really badly on the domestic front and markets like Australia, Germany, Mexico and the UK where big budgets action films usually do really well so it looks like it'll be making most of its money in China. It'll probably limp home to a profit after the bean counters finish tallying everything up.

But it might be the reviews that hurt it the most, Universal must have been pretty embarrassed by all that and that article blaming Cruise for all their problems sounds like some early damage control. They'd already announced a release date for Bride of Frankenstein (Valentine's Day 2019, LOL) so it'll be interesting to see if they start quietly moving that around or even giving it the dreaded TBA release date or whether they stick to their guns and push ahead.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
plus like even if u take it as 100% true the article's excuse for Universal is that, "Universal knew that if it wanted “The Mummy” to compete against the likes of “Wonder Woman” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” it needed every ounce of Cruise’s waning star power" .
Which is like...they could also make a movie that doesn't require Punished Tom Cruise 2 be given all the power to be successful, they could release it on...a different day mayhaps???

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hat Thoughts posted:

plus like even if u take it as 100% true the article's excuse for Universal is that, "Universal knew that if it wanted “The Mummy” to compete against the likes of “Wonder Woman” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” it needed every ounce of Cruise’s waning star power" .
Which is like...they could also make a movie that doesn't require Punished Tom Cruise 2 be given all the power to be successful, they could release it on...a different day mayhaps???

Releasing it then was a bad attempt at a power play working off of the assumption that Wonder Woman wasn't going to perform very well. If this movie had come out in, say, April (in that dead period between Fast 8 and Guardians 2, it might have made the same amount opening weekend, and probably wouldn't have been quite so disappointing. Instead it's just another June blockbuster in a month with Wonder Woman, a new Transformers, Cars 3 and at the very end, Despicable Me 3 which is going to make more money than god.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think the main thing that gets me is the idea that Universal's hands were tied & they had to cast Tom Cruise to make the movie successful when we see, clearly, the movie wasn't successful

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, the whole Dark Universe poo poo is a Kurtzman/Orci project and universe-building was by far the worst part of the movie.
Mission: Impossible is in iron grasp of Cruise and those movies are incredibly entertaining, Jack Reacher is his big-series project, they are competently made as well.

The only thing I would believe as a result of Cruise messing things is the intentional pushing-off of the female villain in many ways. Aging dudes do feel threatened by someone overshadowing them on the screen, as evidenced by Johnny Depp refusing to have a female antagonist in the last Pirates movie

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DC Murderverse posted:

Despicable Me 3 which is going to make more money than god.

Brother you are right about that. Those little fuckin minions are an historical treasure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, the whole Dark Universe poo poo is a Kurtzman/Orci project and universe-building was by far the worst part of the movie.
Mission: Impossible is in iron grasp of Cruise and those movies are incredibly entertaining

The only reason I had hopes for The Mummy was because I thought "oh, Cruise is going to Mission: Impossible this mofo". Too bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

They probably should have realized something was wrong when they had to rework their Mummy design after X-Men Apocalypse.

The idea of the Mummy being a betrayed princess or whatever could have been good, but whenever I think of this film I just feel like watching FraserMummy instead.

FraserMummy is like the perfect summer popcorn flick thankfully.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'd prefer FrasierMummy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

davidspackage posted:

I love it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you use Twitter at all Snipes is legit funny as hell, super positive and definitely worth following.

I'm so fascinated by this Mummy movie now, from what people are saying maybe they should have released it without audio after all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wesley Snipes also lays some pretty brutal burns on people who try to mess with him.

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/826554911215144960

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/826538689144582144

(Wesley Snipes was in three comic book movies and Marvel owns Blade again so all of these posts are important and on topic).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/876864082329993218

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/876865156894138368

What a card

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wesley Snipes' game is so good he has to politely inform half the population that he is not available due to sexual preference.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snipes was replaced by a rapper who goes by the name Sticky Fingaz.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Casimir Radon posted:

Snipes was replaced by a rapper who goes by the name Sticky Fingaz.

He actually did ok. He's like...the MorningWalker. A thankless job, having to cover for an extremely charismatic actor in an iconic role.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tom cruise is a stellar loving actor hahaha

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just want to know who thought it was a good idea (if it wasn't Cruise himself) to cast him as a character that is clearly written to be 30ish. It's distracting at this point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In some ways the 1999 Mummy gave Universal the wrong idea. In that instance the filmmakers were able to draw on the parallels to Indiana Jones and the like to make a big dumb action adventure blockbuster thing, and they had a great cast and the right attitude and it worked. I think because of that Universal thought "Well, okay, we can get big tentpole movies out of ALL the classic monsters!", hence various attempts at turning Frankenstein and Dracula into action movies.

And there's something weird about the aesthetic of the recent attempts too- they all look cheaper than they probably were, because they're not quite gothic and not quite flashy action, so they just look muddy.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Maxwell Lord posted:

And there's something weird about the aesthetic of the recent attempts too- they all look cheaper than they probably were, because they're not quite gothic and not quite flashy action, so they just look muddy.

I think its a (continuing) side effect of a bunch of these movies wanting to be the Dark Knight without knowing how that movie worked.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Yes they skipped 4 -

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The twist is the shark has six heads

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Godzilla 2 began filming yesterday and we have the official synopsis

quote:

WARNER BROS. PICTURES' AND LEGENDARY PICTURES' MONSTERVERSE KICKS INTO GEAR AS THE NEXT GODZILLA FEATURE GETS UNDERWAY
(June 19, 2017 – Burbank, CA) – Following the global success of 2014’s “Godzilla” and this year’s “Kong: Skull Island,” comes the next chapter in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ cinematic MonsterVerse: an epic action adventure that pits Godzilla against some of the most popular monsters in pop culture history.
The film, which begins principal photography today, is being directed by Michael Dougherty (“Krampus”), and stars Oscar nominees Vera Farmiga (“Up in the Air,” “The Conjuring” films), and Ken Watanabe (“The Last Samurai”) and Sally Hawkins (“Blue Jasmine”), both reprising their “Godzilla” roles; Kyle Chandler (“The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Manchester by the Sea”); Millie Bobby Brown (“Stranger Things”) in her feature film debut; Bradley Whitford (“Get Out”); Thomas Middleditch (HBO’s “Silicon Valley”); Charles Dance (HBO’s “Game of Thrones”); O’Shea Jackson Jr. (“Straight Outta Compton”); Aisha Hinds (“Star Trek Into Darkness”); and Golden Globe nominee Zhang Ziyi (“Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”).

The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.

Dougherty directs from a script he wrote with Zach Shields. The film is being produced by Mary Parent, Alex Garcia, Brian Rogers and Thomas Tull, with Barry H. Waldman, Zach Shields, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira serving as executive producers and Alexandra Mendes co-producing for Legendary.

Behind the scenes, Dougherty’s creative team includes director of photography Lawrence Sher, whose past credits include “War Dogs” and “Godzilla,” for which he handled additional photography; production designer Scott Chambliss (“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” “Star Trek Into Darkness”); editor Roger Barton (“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” the “Transformers” films); costume designer Louise Migenbach (the “X-Men” and “Hangover” films); and Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Guillaume Rocheron (“Godzilla,” “Ghost in the Shell,” and part of the Oscar-winning team behind “Life of Pi ”).

Filming is taking place mainly in Atlanta, Georgia. A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, the film is currently scheduled for release in March 2019, and will be distributed in 3D and 2D and in select IMAX theaters by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd.

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/warner-bros-pictures-and-legendary-pictures-monsterverse-kicks-gear-next-godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Maxwell Lord posted:

In some ways the 1999 Mummy gave Universal the wrong idea. In that instance the filmmakers were able to draw on the parallels to Indiana Jones and the like to make a big dumb action adventure blockbuster thing, and they had a great cast and the right attitude and it worked. I think because of that Universal thought "Well, okay, we can get big tentpole movies out of ALL the classic monsters!", hence various attempts at turning Frankenstein and Dracula into action movies.

Van Helsing utterly sucked but it made $300,000,000.

• Locked thread