Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

No matter how hard I try I can't use armor other than Ursine. It just looks so drat good.

I really like Manticore for nostalgia factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Someone mentioned a mod a while back that let you change the appearance of your armor. I looked for it on nexus and didn't see anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I misremembering?

Manticore looks so cool but I'm not a big fan of bombs. I'd like to take my Cat and make it look like Manticore.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Appearances Menu Mod? The setup looks pretty involved and I was running so much else I didn't give it a shot, but if you want to look badass at any and all opportunities this seems to be the mod in question.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/780/

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Holy poo poo, the amount of detail packed in to this game is amazing. After close to 300 hours I'm still finding new things. I just did the Reardon manor quest and I found the basement and body that indicates Dolores brother was killed by the husband. I never realized this quest was pretty fleshed out even if it's not a Letho springboard.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I like my Cat Armor bonus. I have a shitload of quick attack-critical in my build. I can't stop wearing Assassin gloves though because they're +10% crit chance.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I like my Cat Armor bonus. I have a shitload of quick attack-critical in my build. I can't stop wearing Assassin gloves though because they're +10% crit chance.

as long as it's got better numbers you shouldn't feel guilty about wearing it, it's just that once you upgrade the cat armor a tier or two they're going to just have better numbers than almost anything you can find lying around.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

as long as it's got better numbers you shouldn't feel guilty about wearing it, it's just that once you upgrade the cat armor a tier or two they're going to just have better numbers than almost anything you can find lying around.

How's the Wolf Armor? I picked up the regular diagrams today but haven't had time to make it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How's the Wolf Armor? I picked up the regular diagrams today but haven't had time to make it

it's got a nice even split between combat boosting bonuses and sign boosting bonuses, but the unique trait you get for upgrading it all the way (which is a pretty tall order itself so it might not make or break your decision) is completely useless.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just beat Hearts of Stone and am starting Blood and Wine. I like that Gaunter O'Dimm was essentially the devil at the crossroads. I let him have Olgierd in exchange for a sick saddle.

These knights-errant from Toussaint are so charming!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Just beat Hearts of Stone and am starting Blood and Wine. I like that Gaunter O'Dimm was essentially the devil at the crossroads. I let him have Olgierd in exchange for a sick saddle.

These knights-errant from Toussaint are so charming!

They are but they sucked me into a quest automatically when I was walking by 15 levels early and got me murdered repeatedly until I loaded an earlier save.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like that the drawings of the Beast of Touissant are actually relatively accurate, now that I've finished the DLC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They are but they sucked me into a quest automatically when I was walking by 15 levels early and got me murdered repeatedly until I loaded an earlier save.

You can tell them to forget about the bandits and also that you'll meet them later.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Which reminds me, the stuff I've seen about how Detlaff was totally innocent and Syanna really deserves to die, that bitch really made me wonder about the capacity of people to feel sorry for women. Yeah, she totally murdered guys by proxy. But her story and her situation were FAR, FAR more pitiable than Mr Anger Issues who should never have been allowed to be anywhere near humans. Oh, sure, a potential curse along with abuse for her whole childhood culminating in an attempt to kill her by exposure, totally not an understandable cause for rage. But dat bitch hurt his feelings! He was sad, so he had to kill hundreds! She basically killed all those people in the city, really!

loving hell.

On that same note, this gem from the Hunger Game sidequest:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Which reminds me, the stuff I've seen about how Detlaff was totally innocent and Syanna really deserves to die, that bitch really made me wonder about the capacity of people to feel sorry for women. Yeah, she totally murdered guys by proxy. But her story and her situation were FAR, FAR more pitiable than Mr Anger Issues who should never have been allowed to be anywhere near humans. Oh, sure, a potential curse along with abuse for her whole childhood culminating in an attempt to kill her by exposure, totally not an understandable cause for rage. But dat bitch hurt his feelings! He was sad, so he had to kill hundreds! She basically killed all those people in the city, really!

loving hell.

tbh I think B&W has a very weak main plot compared to the base game zones and HoS, but the settings and environment are stellar

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Midnight Voyager posted:

loving hell.

If I judged Detlaff as a human I'd agree. But he's explained as being pretty comparable to someone with extreme aspergers socially speaking so I thought his character was just as understandable as Syanna.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know everyone recommends completing the main game's quest before starting in on blood and wine, but it's really rubbing me the wrong way that i won't get to play around with freezing aard and aerondight before the big finale. i know that new game+ is a thing but considering i've sunk about 100 hours into this game just the first time around it's not a very attractive option, is it feasible to dive into blood and wine just long enough to pick those up before i cap out the main quest?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

chaosapiant posted:

If I judged Detlaff as a human I'd agree. But he's explained as being pretty comparable to someone with extreme aspergers socially speaking so I thought his character was just as understandable as Syanna.

Nice to know you don't judge those with extreme aspergers as human. :downs:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i know everyone recommends completing the main game's quest before starting in on blood and wine, but it's really rubbing me the wrong way that i won't get to play around with freezing aard and aerondight before the big finale. i know that new game+ is a thing but considering i've sunk about 100 hours into this game just the first time around it's not a very attractive option, is it feasible to dive into blood and wine just long enough to pick those up before i cap out the main quest?

Yes - you only need to do the very first bit of the main B&W questline to get access to Toussaint, which is a fight that can be cheesed at any level by shooting the giant in the eye with a crossbow bolt. Going into Beauclair will trigger the side quest that gives you access to the extra mutations. Getting Aerondight is harder because you'll have to do multiple side quests to meet the requirements for it, some of which are from the main questline.

Also don't dismiss NG+ - it's a far superior version of the base game because you'll go into it with all potions, skills, and witcher armours unlocked, which really makes you feel like the badass that Geralt is meant to be. It's also a chance to explore the quest choices you didn't do the first time round.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

My cousin on the spectrum cannot call down an army of vampires to murder hundreds when he is unhappy. Also he's never murdered anybody!

Detlaff barely managed to stop himself murdering a guy for cutting him in line, and that may well have been because his target was nice. His apology rings hilariously false when he turns around and kills way more. He goes straight from "I will kill everyone for you" to "I want to tear you to shreds and murder every man/woman/child in this city if I can't." And he had days to cool off! He's a danger to literally everyone around him. At best, he needs to be shoved into the anti-vampire cage until he gets some anger management into his head.

Syanna murdered four people who left her out in the cold to die, beat her, starved her, etc. You can talk her out of the fifth when she realizes that she did not actually have anything to do with it. I dislike people using people as much as anyone, but it's pretty harmless next to mass murder. And she definitely made a mistake using Detlaff to do it, seeing as how volatile he is, but her plan would have killed five people total if it succeeded. And she still volunteered to go to him to keep more people from dying on her own.

Pellisworth posted:

tbh I think B&W has a very weak main plot compared to the base game zones and HoS, but the settings and environment are stellar

I agree, I just saw a bunch of "killing the bitch is the real good ending" comments and I want to burn humanity down.

kim jong-illin posted:

Yes - you only need to do the very first bit of the main B&W questline to get access to Toussaint, which is a fight that can be cheesed at any level by shooting the giant in the eye with a crossbow bolt. Going into Beauclair will trigger the side quest that gives you access to the extra mutations. Getting Aerondight is harder because you'll have to do multiple side quests to meet the requirements for it, some of which are from the main questline.

The sidequest does have combat in it. I don't know how the levels there will help.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Most of the books have snippets of lore, and other times they just love to swing below the belt :mmmhmm::

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo! Almost 400 hours into this game and I JUST found Leo's grave!! :allears:

theres a quest to rebuild a sword his was making too, probably the most missed quest in the game

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nice to know you don't judge those with extreme aspergers as human. :downs:

Not exactly how I meant that, but I can admit when I've put my foot in my mouth; well played. :cheers:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, with 300/400 hours in the game being thrown around these days how long till somebody tells me he's 1000 hours in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Palpek posted:

drat, with 300/400 hours in the game being thrown around these days how long till somebody tells me he's 1000 hours in.

Well i def have well over 1,000 hours in the whole series. Just need some more time and I'll let you know when I'm there.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

theres a quest to rebuild a sword his was making too, probably the most missed quest in the game

That was Berengar. A different Witcher from Witcher 1.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Also don't dismiss NG+ - it's a far superior version of the base game because you'll go into it with all potions, skills, and witcher armours unlocked, which really makes you feel like the badass that Geralt is meant to be. It's also a chance to explore the quest choices you didn't do the first time round.

I can vouch for this. I was hesitant to try NG+ as opposed to NG and glad I did. I enjoy not having to deal with the systems the game doesn't handle well (loot, crafting, leveling) and instead focus on what it does great (the rest).

Turning off POIs in the main map has also been a blessing. Less OCD urge to clear things, more time to actually play the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Syanna's retelling of events is aparently contradicted by some in game notes? She's obviously the lesser evil still and Detlaf is too dangerous to be left alive, but whether she's a victim and justified in getting revenge or just telling a sob story to manipulate softie Geralt is deliberately left ambigious..

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I bought the Blood and Wine expansion in the GOG sale, and they have given me the Enhanced, Upgraded, GOTY or whatever edition as a different download. Is there any reason to use that one over the one I have installed?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
No.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fat Samurai posted:

I bought the Blood and Wine expansion in the GOG sale, and they have given me the Enhanced, Upgraded, GOTY or whatever edition as a different download. Is there any reason to use that one over the one I have installed?

GotY just includes all the free DLCs instead of needing to download them yourself.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Perfect, thanks.

Now to actually finish the base game and Hearts of Stone :suicide:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Syanna's retelling of events is aparently contradicted by some in game notes? She's obviously the lesser evil still and Detlaf is too dangerous to be left alive, but whether she's a victim and justified in getting revenge or just telling a sob story to manipulate softie Geralt is deliberately left ambigious..

The ending where you reunite the sisters by telling them that they were just stupid children doesn't look like she's manipulating anyone. It looks like a straight-up happy ending without reservation.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

The ending where you reunite the sisters by telling them that they were just stupid children doesn't look like she's manipulating anyone. It looks like a straight-up happy ending without reservation.

Syanna and Detlaf spoilers Mainly I'm reffering to how you can learn the actual reason she got banished is that she was doing things like tricking some guy to murder his brother, and not just for harmless pranks. She was a genuinelly bad and cruel person, and you are supposed to wonder whether that is by nature or nurture.

Her change of heart is at the last minute so everything she tells you up to that point is suspect.

As for Detlaf, while he needed to die, if we go with him being mentally ill that does make it a bit more tragic, like it puts to question how responsible he was for his actions, if he even realized it's wrong. Maybe he belongs in a psychiatric ward instead but that's obviously not a valid option.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fat Samurai posted:

Perfect, thanks.

Now to actually finish the base game and Hearts of Stone :suicide:

Hearts of stone is the best series of quests in the game imo so enjoy!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Detlaff's not a mentally ill person though is he. He's a stupendously powerful alien thing whose mind does not work like humans'

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Also the only reason to Spare Detlaff is because your bro to end all bros explains how Detlaff is not subject to normal human emotions. However Regis also willingly kills him, so in the end I think the kill Detlaff option is the correct one.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

No argument there, it's the best outcome for sure, just think it has some shades to it in that Detlaf might be technically innocent (but still needs to die) and Syanna does just gets away with a lot of genuinelly bad stuff because of nepotism.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 19, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

No argument there, it's the best outcome for sure, just think it has some shades to it.

I definitely wasn't saying Syanna was a lovely angel of a person who was just misunderstood and got exiled for no reason. It's very similar to the A Lesser Evil short story (where another "cursed" woman appears) and I think Geralt even says that you can never be sure whether these people are actually cursed or just become that way because everyone treats them like outcasts and murderers anyway.
At the end of the day it's up to you (and Anarietta in the story) to decide whether she can be forgiven.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also the only reason to Spare Detlaff is because your bro to end all bros explains how Detlaff is not subject to normal human emotions. However Regis also willingly kills him, so in the end I think the kill Detlaff option is the correct one.

I really got the impression like Regis was in denial of just how insane Detlaff went, but that might just be my own opinion coloring the interaction. Who knows, maybe it is indeed normal for vampires to snap like that and still become civilized afterwards.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm at a 4:1 ratio for fall damage: combat deaths in this game.

We really need a tuck n roll potion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm at a 4:1 ratio for fall damage: combat deaths in this game.

We really need a tuck n roll potion.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/352/

I think my favorite fall damage I ever took was when I loaded up a save that was just on the verge of a drop into a cave opening that had a Witcher Hunt quest associated with it (guy in Toussaint who's trying to stall killing a monster for his fiancee). I walked one step forward, the cutscene of the quest triggered, but while it was loading up I also died from falling down into the cave mouth, so it went load screen => You are Dead.