Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Milky Moor posted:

Then he has no conception of numbers,

This is true and somewhere out there is a quote of him saying exactly that; difficulty with scaling and working out the rough numbers etc.

Which makes it even odder that he decided to hang on to the weird Endbringer durability numbers he threw out somewhere. Better for him to have let that go and not specify it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

A Spherical Sponge posted:

Also I don't think people with a semi-medieval outlook on life who've only ever heard folk music would enjoy that sort of stuff to the point of everybody who hears the music thinking it's movingly beautiful and an entire city basically dancing to it. I don't know it just feels like a very fanfictiony sort of thing to happen.

It's a Skill thing. They don't just hear her voice when she sings, they can hear the music as she heard it, and there may even be an emotional component as well.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Worm and Pact, but have yet to be able to make it past the first post of Twig. Someone give me some arbitrary cutoff line to read towards, tia.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

jon joe posted:

I enjoyed Worm and Pact, but have yet to be able to make it past the first post of Twig. Someone give me some arbitrary cutoff line to read towards, tia.

You've hit it.

e: wait, I misread. I thought you were talking about not being able to get into Pact. Oops, um,

Read until after they go to investigate the prep school, which is like 3-ish arcs in, I think. The group dynamic really changes for the better.

blastron fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

blastron posted:

You've hit it.

e: wait, I misread. I thought you were talking about not being able to get into Pact. Oops, um,

Read until after they go to investigate the prep school, which is like 3-ish arcs in, I think. The group dynamic really changes for the better.

I thought about recommending this but it's literally through the first arc. :v:

Which on the plus side makes it short enough to easily power through.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

I've been binging The Wandering Inn for the past ~week, it's really good. It mostly follows a girl who gets sucked into a fantasy world and becomes an innkeeper, with some side character perspectives to add more depth to the world. Lots and lots of adorable, heartwarming moments mixed with the occasional bit of bleak despair and tragedy.

It's really good, and it updates pretty frequently too.

I like this. The author is on the cusp of being able to quit her job with the Patreon money, which is cool.

I wish Mother of Learning updated this much.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
On mobile that link just redirects to a bunch of spam/scam sites. Proceed with caution.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's just a bog-standard Wordpress-hosted blog. There aren't even ads on it. I dunno. Are you sure it's the site and not something on your mobile?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
It's a patched iOS. It's probably a shady ad network on the mobile site, which does have ads. So be wary if you're trying to read from a mobile device I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I've been binging The Wandering Inn for the past ~week, it's really good. It mostly follows a girl who gets sucked into a fantasy world and becomes an innkeeper, with some side character perspectives to add more depth to the world. Lots and lots of adorable, heartwarming moments mixed with the occasional bit of bleak despair and tragedy.

It's really good, and it updates pretty frequently too.

Which Wordpress theme is this? Isn't it the same one Worm used?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

On mobile that link just redirects to a bunch of spam/scam sites. Proceed with caution.

I get this a lot on WordPress on iOS in chrome. But only in incognito mode, which is weird. In normal mode it's fine.

And the Wandering Inn is excellent, despite the RPG tropes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Which Wordpress theme is this? Isn't it the same one Worm used?

I believe so, yes.

Megazver posted:

I like this. The author is on the cusp of being able to quit her job with the Patreon money, which is cool.

I wish Mother of Learning updated this much.

I wish I had the disposable income to pay these web serial authors more. There's like a dozen Patreons I want to be able to throw my wallet at.

I'll have to check out MoL too, I've heard good things.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I wish I had the disposable income to pay these web serial authors more. There's like a dozen Patreons I want to be able to throw my wallet at.

I'll have to check out MoL too, I've heard good things.

I usually give them, like, what I'd pay for the equivalent amount of text in ebooks, then stop paying. And MoL is great.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's a patched iOS. It's probably a shady ad network on the mobile site, which does have ads. So be wary if you're trying to read from a mobile device I guess.
Are you using an adblocker? Might help, if you don't mind taking away tiny income streams from starving authors etc.

Not sure what the current best ios adblocker is, though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Same thing happens to me in Chrome on Android. I just close the tab and reopen the page from History and hope I don't get it again.

Also when I read Practical Guide sometimes the page freezes up for seconds at a time, refreshing usually takes care of it.

Never had a problem with Twig though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just finished Bonesaw's interlude before the Slaughterhouse 9000 stuff in my Worm reread, and I'm wondering why she didn't just kill all of them while they were in stasis. She seems to have become solidly against them at least several months before releasing them, and it seems a lot more straightforward than letting them out and then hoping to have an opportunity to betray them later.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So I just finished Bonesaw's interlude before the Slaughterhouse 9000 stuff in my Worm reread, and I'm wondering why she didn't just kill all of them while they were in stasis. She seems to have become solidly against them at least several months before releasing them, and it seems a lot more straightforward than letting them out and then hoping to have an opportunity to betray them later.

Because of Jack's shard?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I hate to say this, but it's 100% because Cauldron wanted the clones and wanted Jack to survive to set off the end, and Contessa did her thing to make that happen. Everything else is just rationalization.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

I hate to say this, but it's 100% because Cauldron wanted the clones and wanted Jack to survive to set off the end, and Contessa did her thing to make that happen. Everything else is just rationalization.

What was Bonesaw's internal justification for not killing all the rest of the S9 in their sleep, then? I can understand that Contessa took the precise actions to lead to an outcome where Bonesaw would betray them while still allowing the clones to be created, but Bonesaw seemed to have pretty solidly decided she didn't want to stay with them before they woke up*, so it's not like she was internally debating the issue anymore.

Cauldron wants Jack to survive and set off the end because there would be fewer parahumans around to fight Scion in 14 years (presumably due to repreated Endbringer attacks), right?

edit: Also, I'm wondering how the gently caress Golem and the Chicago Wards (and whoever else was with them) managed to beat 3 Shatterbirds, 3 Burnscars, 2 Winters, 1 Skinslip, and 1 Psychosoma.

*Not that she had a choice, since staying with the S9 stopped being an option from the moment she started to have doubts (since Jack would end up noticing at some point)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 21, 2017

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The answer I want to believe: Because a major theme of Worm is people taking part day-to-day in the operations of evil enterprises by convincing themselves that they're secretly good and are just optimizing utility by waiting for a future opportunity that will be the "best" time for betrayal.

The answer I should believe: Because S9000 is a bad arc in every aspect from conception to execution.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Also, I'm wondering how the gently caress Golem and the Chicago Wards (and whoever else was with them) managed to beat 3 Shatterbirds, 3 Burnscars, 2 Winters, 1 Skinslip, and 1 Psychosoma.
I'm pretty sure Jack was just sort of throwing out poo poo at that point instead of putting effort into being tricky, but it also feels like it's supposed to be that Taylor pretty much turned that wards team into an effective kill squad who had fewer hangups about actually putting an opponent down rather then just playing along with the cops and robbers system. The militarization (maybe not militarization but hardening?) of the Protectorate under Chevalier may also be a factor, where he pushed away from the PRT oversight of trying to keep the heroes as approachable and fluffy as possible.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

q_k posted:

I'm pretty sure Jack was just sort of throwing out poo poo at that point instead of putting effort into being tricky, but it also feels like it's supposed to be that Taylor pretty much turned that wards team into an effective kill squad who had fewer hangups about actually putting an opponent down rather then just playing along with the cops and robbers system. The militarization (maybe not militarization but hardening?) of the Protectorate under Chevalier may also be a factor, where he pushed away from the PRT oversight of trying to keep the heroes as approachable and fluffy as possible.

Is that accurate? I thought Chevalier was all about making the Protectorate more approachable and accountable.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Is that accurate? I thought Chevalier was all about making the Protectorate more approachable and accountable.

It could be my memory of it being shot, he was big on accountability and restoring the public trust in the protectorate, but didn't he also push for more lethal options with the harder hitting dragon suits and dragon teeth being created and deployed? And a big memory of the end of the story was that he got some red and black color scheme which was not friendly at all, but maybe it was just him saying gently caress it at that point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

q_k posted:

It could be my memory of it being shot, he was big on accountability and restoring the public trust in the protectorate, but didn't he also push for more lethal options with the harder hitting dragon suits and dragon teeth being created and deployed? And a big memory of the end of the story was that he got some red and black color scheme which was not friendly at all, but maybe it was just him saying gently caress it at that point.

I'd think Dragon's suits come under the Guild, who are separate to the Protectorate. IIRC, Dragon is mentioned as an honorary member of the Protectorate. Not sure where the Teeth fall, it always annoyed me that very little attention was paid to them. I don't know how much control Chevalier would have over them as I think the Guild is led by Narwhal and functions on its own sort of timetable.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I'd think Dragon's suits come under the Guild, who are separate to the Protectorate. IIRC, Dragon is mentioned as an honorary member of the Protectorate. Not sure where the Teeth fall, it always annoyed me that very little attention was paid to them. I don't know how much control Chevalier would have over them as I think the Guild is led by Narwhal and functions on its own sort of timetable.

I probably get the feel of the protectorate/prt being more in charge of the dragon suits because most of the exposure to them outside of s-class threats comes when they are deployed against the Undersiders. I wish the Guild was explored/explained more.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I checked out Wandering Inn from the recent mentions and ... I am out of chapters.
Help.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could back the Patreon for early updates, I suppose.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It's kind of striking how enormous the quality variance is in Top Web Fiction. You have readable and enjoyable stuff like Unsong and Wandering Inn, along with the usual Wildbow projects. Then you have stuff about Mimics gaining D&D levels with random sex scenes. It doesn't seem like there would be overlap between readers.

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 23, 2017

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Megazver posted:

Could back the Patreon for early updates, I suppose.

I did that before I even ran out of chapters.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Velius posted:

It's kind of striking how enormous the quality variance is in Top Web Fiction. You have readable and enjoyable stuff like Unsong and Wandering Inn, along with the usual Wildbow projects. Then you have stuff about Mimics gaining D&D levels with random sex scenes. It doesn't seem like there would be overlap between readers.

Oh god I started reading that. Everybody Loves Large Chests, right? It seemed like an interesting premise with the mimic being the main character until suddenly graphic vore and lots of awful sexism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, I like to think that Grue's silence around Taylor after the time-skip isn't so much due to awkwardness and is instead because, after so long apart, he realized in hindsight that Taylor is a huge tool and not a fun person to be around.

Also, I apparently had forgotten about the part where Taylor guns down Purity's baby for literally no reason.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I like to think that Grue's silence around Taylor after the time-skip isn't so much due to awkwardness and is instead because, after so long apart, he realized in hindsight that Taylor is a huge tool and not a fun person to be around.

It's still a bit scary how many fans seem to think Grue and Taylor had anything approaching a healthy relationship. How many good relationships were in Worm? Dragon/Defiant, Golem/Cuff, Assault/Battery, Tagg/Wife (probably), Legend/Husband, probably Grue/Cozen?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I apparently had forgotten about the part where Taylor guns down Purity's baby for literally no reason.

everyone's pretty okay with it afterwards. it was bizarre. while she had a professed reason which is rational (that the baby was likely to suffer far worse), it is very unlikely people around her would have just accepted it in such a blase fashion, if they were acting realistically.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Neurosis posted:

everyone's pretty okay with it afterwards. it was bizarre. while she had a professed reason which is rational (that the baby was likely to suffer far worse), it is very unlikely people around her would have just accepted it in such a blase fashion, if they were acting realistically.

The entire world knows of what the S9 does to people they get their hands on. That was a mercy kill. The fact it was not made into a big deal was that everyone understands it was a mercy kill.

There are many examples of a fate worse then death in this series, and almost ALL of them have been at the hands of a member of the S9.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kalas posted:

The entire world knows of what the S9 does to people they get their hands on. That was a mercy kill. The fact it was not made into a big deal was that everyone understands it was a mercy kill.

There are many examples of a fate worse then death in this series, and almost ALL of them have been at the hands of a member of the S9.

i understand the intellectual justification. i do not think everyone would react so casually to it. even if that is strictly rational, and even in the wormverse, where people are a little more used to the terrible, i think someone nailing a little girl between the eyes would get an emotional reaction from those around the shooter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought that she killed Purity's baby because she was worried the baby might manifest some quirk that ended up being the cause of the end of the world (which obviously ended up not being the case)?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Which was plausible given no foreknowledge: third-gen triggers happen even easier and earlier than second-gen triggers, and the earlier a trigger the more powerful.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Neurosis posted:

i understand the intellectual justification. i do not think everyone would react so casually to it. even if that is strictly rational, and even in the wormverse, where people are a little more used to the terrible, i think someone nailing a little girl between the eyes would get an emotional reaction from those around the shooter.

I think it was only Taylor who knew 100% that she was the one who killed Aster, as Foil and Revel both opened fire pretty soon after and probably shredded the disabled clones. For all we know the 2 dragons teeth who were dragged along are just talking back and forth about how these people are all crazy, that baby just loving exploded and no one cares, but the POV at that point is Golem and he's starring at a wall. Golem assigns the blame to her but the poo poo Kaiser and Weaver drilled into him keeps him from showing emotions as he doesn't want to appear weak, and at the same time fears that no one will even comfort him if he does. Pretty much the only thing keeping him together at that point is his hate for Jack, and Rachel going in with dog therapy. Was there ever a chapter where Theo is in with a therapist?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

q_k posted:

It's still a bit scary how many fans seem to think Grue and Taylor had anything approaching a healthy relationship. How many good relationships were in Worm? Dragon/Defiant, Golem/Cuff, Assault/Battery, Tagg/Wife (probably), Legend/Husband, probably Grue/Cozen?

Assault/Battery is questionable. From what we can see it seems to have worked out reasonably, but they got together by Assault badgering her until she gave up and stopped saying No, which really isn't okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, one minor gripe I always had with Taylor's "make bugs fill a person's nose and throat" strategy is that it seems like, in practice, a bunch of those bugs would get killed while the person struggled to cough them up, resulting in a high risk of choking/asphyxiation since Taylor would no longer be able to control the dead bugs.

I guess you could argue that she had nearby live bugs remove the dead ones, but it seems a bit of a stretch.

• Locked thread