Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

redreader posted:

I am playing mass effect 3 and I am supposed to gather party supplies. I have wandered the silver strip for 20 minutes and I haven't seen a single loving party supply. Also I have friends IRL and don't care about video game parties. Can I skip to the end? how do I avoid all of this personal/friend/party poo poo and advance the plot?

edit: if I can't do that how can I buy the bare minimum supplies for a poo poo party to advance the plot?

Uh that is all optional stuff in a side DLC, if you really don't want to do it just do the main quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh that is all optional stuff in a side DLC, if you really don't want to do it just do the main quest

I'm throwing the party now. I literally don't know how to advance the main quest.
edit: how do I end the loving party
edit 2: my computer just crashed, the party I don't want, will never end.
edit 3: ok it's done. That wasn't a fun time

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 19, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The mass effect 3 DLC is pretty much if mass effect was an anime and had a beach episode. Joker is the only good thing about mass effect 3 so please enjoy him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tekken 7 story mode is a pretty timely game to finish on Father's Day

Edit: It was incredibly dumb and yet

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 19, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

While there are things you can do to mitigate it, I think the structure of team-based competition itself will just always make it easier and very convenient to displace blame onto others, usually strangers on the internet that you don't care about. I think this manifests in the overall tone and discussion of the game itself even, if you compare the way FG/RTS players talk about themselves to say a MOBA community. There's a certain learned humility that comes from getting beat down in 1v1 over and over again.

i mean team sports are also filled with whiny assholes so i dont see how this problem is unique to gaming

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

that's a nice picture but a terrible dad!

lisa dad tried his best

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

Joker is the only good thing about mass effect 3 so please enjoy him.
It's actually Javik. Take him and Liara everywhere = win.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I never got whatever DLC this Javik character was in, so I choose to believe he was not good or important at all

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mass Erect, a mass effect fanfic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never got whatever DLC this Javik character was in, so I choose to believe he was not good or important at all
He's cool because they use his outsider perspective to point out every stupid thing in the game that everybody else lets slide including "so hey, why is the ship AI a sexbot now?". He's also pretty brutal in correcting Liara's idyllic illusions about Protheans over and over again which is why I mentioned taking them both as companions, they have a lot of hilarious dialogue together.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

babypolis posted:

i mean team sports are also filled with whiny assholes so i dont see how this problem is unique to gaming

It's not, but the ease at which you can be an rear end in a top hat to some disembodied voice over the internet doesn't help.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you want to have one of your characters stand around and criticize your story, instead you should probably: A) not include such a character; or B) write a better story

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Javik was a good character and it's criminal that he was relegated to DLC because he played a critical role in underpinning a lot of ME3's themes, such as they were.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That era when significant story components of a story-heavy RPG were gated behind DLC paywalls on day one of release was a very dark time.

I guess Final Fantasy 15 just did it but Square is always 5 years behind so it still lines up

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
ME3's party members are good, which leads to problems like not taking James around simply because the other choices are more interesting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That era when significant story components of a story-heavy RPG were gated behind DLC paywalls on day one of release was a very dark time.

I guess Final Fantasy 15 just did it but Square is always 5 years behind so it still lines up

Pre-order the deluxe edition to receive our Inciting Incident pack complete with the destruction of your childhood village. Standard version users get a title card and screen wash.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
G O O D D O G S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBss-kzWG2A

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Any interested in winning some things: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824211

Help me and create a wonderful new avatar! :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is therea way to download GOG games without using GOG Galaxy. THe whole point of this service was gently caress Steam! and now they have the same thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Never mind I found it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The mass effect 3 DLC is pretty much if mass effect was an anime and had a beach episode. Joker is the only good thing about mass effect 3 so please enjoy him.

The Citadel thing is fun but it was also overhyped to gently caress by people disappointed by people that were still mad about the ending. It is the opposite of the ending but not necessarily in a good way. While the ending was this huge epic production that was also the product of the developer not caring about their base, the citadel is a dinky little scooby doo caper that is fan-servicey to an embarrassing degree. Don't get me wrong, the citadel is still better than the ending by a mile, but it still is not "what the ending should have been" or anything even close to that.

VideoGames posted:

Any interested in winning some things: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824211

Help me and create a wonderful new avatar! :D

I know if I was a mod, the main effect would be me changing my avatar like every week. I'd contribute to your thread here but the limits of my avatar making tend to be "take a video clip and make it loop in a way I don't hate".

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 19, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Swat 4 is cool as hell.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

I know if I was a mod, the main effect would be me changing my avatar like every week. I'd contribute to your thread here but the limits of my avatar making tend to be "take a video clip and make it loop in a way I don't hate".

Go for it! You may make some lovely loops that other people could want to use! You never know, you may have a talent for good gifs!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In Training posted:

Swat 4 is cool as hell.
Have you reached the level with the serial killer in his mom's basement?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

turn your monitor on :twisetd:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I can't tell if Xenoblade is actually good or not or if everyone just plays it for the lovely british voice acting

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Nina posted:

I can't tell if Xenoblade is actually good or not or if everyone just plays it for the lovely british voice acting

We also play it for the :krad: music

But no, Xenoblade 1 is good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As someone almost to the end of replaying Xenogears, I imagine people were just happy to have a finished Xeno game for once.

Eh... I guess XS3 was pretty much there, but I don't think people were paying attention to it at that point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im playing it now and it would be awesome if not for the fact that you are constantly level checked. Like you cant even hit a monster if you are 5 levels under it. Im not really into meaningless side missions, and the characters move so slow i'm not really exploring as much as i could, so every boss requires some grinding to get up to a level where i can actually hurt him.

Theres all this potential strategic depth in the combat but none of it matters.

I just met a lvl 45 fire dragon boss in a pool of lava, so i worked up to lvl 42, lured him onto land and took him out, jogged to the next waypoint and ooops, its immediately a lvl 48 boss i cant hurt. Good game design.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 19, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nina posted:

the only things XCX has over the first Xenoblade are
--no fall damage
--a more complex if not convoluted combat and class system
--mechs, if you don't shoot yourself by the time you get them
--4-person party over 3-person

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

that's a nice picture but a terrible dad!

Brad is as good of a dad as you want him to be

until the game sequel retconned him into being a terrible dad, which was lame as gently caress >:[

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Help, help me.

https://twitter.com/commiesona/status/876665310878806016

I'm dying help.

We're at the point in this mess where upon Mario Odyssey releasing this fall, if during an interview someone asks the devs if there were any outfits they had thought about but hadn't included and they respond with "Well for like, a second we drew up this concept of Mario in tribal outfit buy we immediately said no way. (laughs)" this will be seen as self-censorship of the highest degree.

(For context this stemmed from an interview with Xenoblade's director a few days ago where he said, as anyone who thought about it for a good minute could surmise, that devs usually work with the international branches to make sure things go as smoothly as possible ahead of time now a days and are directly involved in the process of bringing titles to the West.)

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 19, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I am going to shot Cobain'd myself if people don't stop talking about gummergoot

Serf
May 5, 2011

self-censoring is the funniest thing. like these people have lived in a time and age where censorship is a thing that doesn't happen for so long that they have no idea what it is

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I could have sworn there was an informal "shut the gently caress up about GG you stupid assholes" rule in effect, but then again, I have been known to hallucinate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Help, help me.

https://twitter.com/commiesona/status/876665310878806016

I'm dying help.

We're at the point in this mess where upon Mario Odyssey releasing this fall, if during an interview someone asks the devs if there were any outfits they had thought about but hadn't included and they respond with "Well for like, a second we drew up this concept of Mario in tribal outfit buy we immediately said no way. (laughs)" this will be seen as self-censorship of the highest degree.

(For context this stemmed from an interview with Xenoblade's director a few days ago where he said, as anyone who thought about it for a good minute could surmise, that devs usually work with the international branches to make sure things go as smoothly as possible ahead of time now a days and are directly involved in the process of bringing titles to the West.)

Deception to avoid censorship did happen once that I know of, which was when they made D2 and Sega didn't want all the weird sex poo poo in it so they just hid the gold master containing that stuff from them until it was too late to change it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It also is how a number of episodes of Twin Peaks made it past clearance as they are. David Lynch just straight up didn't show the ratings board the episodes until it was too late, which resulted in the show almost getting canceled after a particularly grisly one early on in season 2.

Not relevant to video games I just feel like that's a funny bit of information to have

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think that was D1, not 2. But it's a cool story. They were purposely late on submitting final code so Kenji Eno had to submit the master in person to make production deadlines. On the flight over he swapped the clean disc for the one with all the grody cannibalistic FMV cutscenes they made and got it published that way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nina posted:

Xenoblade's good though a little overhyped in the way all games that only get localized following fan demand are.

Not as bad as something like FF Type-0 though, where there was some hubub about the fan-tl versus the official release, announced just as it was finishing up, but then the game was mediocre and everyone forgot about it.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

The only advantage team sports have is that generally you at least play with the same team over the course of a season, which sets certain social expectations and helps enforce a sense of camaraderie to some extent. You also don't have the same layer of anonymity.

Mobas are basically designed to facilitate poor sportsmanship, and when i played League it was funny seeing how much of Riot's time and energy was spent just trying to get the community to behave better.

• Locked thread