Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TBeats posted:

London police are calling that van attack a "major incident."

lol....

I'm curious if it's because they're still trying to process everything, or if it's more a function of hoarding their intel/news and not giving it to other reporters/countries.

There could be a throughline between us leaking poo poo all over the place in the previous incident and the Brits not leaking a goddamn thing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

I'm curious if it's because they're still trying to process everything, or if it's more a function of hoarding their intel/news and not giving it to other reporters/countries.

There could be a throughline between us leaking poo poo all over the place in the previous incident and the Brits not leaking a goddamn thing right now.

i'm mostly coming from the point of view of what it would be called if the race's/religions were reversed.

one person i know said "yeah man that sucks, but the muslims really need to start policing their own because turnabout is fair play."

like what the gently caress dude.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TBeats posted:

i'm mostly coming from the point of view of what it would be called if the race's/religions were reversed.

one person i know said "yeah man that sucks, but the muslims really need to start policing their own because turnabout is fair play."

like what the gently caress dude.

Ram a baseball bat in his rear end and tell him the same thing

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Odds any of this gets mentioned by you-know-who tomorrow?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shyduck posted:

Odds any of this gets mentioned by you-know-who tomorrow?

Two people got killed in Oregon defending a Muslim from a racist and some staffer had to use the @POTUS account to tweet support a few days later.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Edit: apparently the Megyn Kelly interview of Alex Jones actually turned out good. Whether it was due to original intent or heavy editing, the people that were yelling at Kelly earlier are now singing her praises post-interview.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/18/megyn-kelly-pantses-alex-jones-215279

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 19, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TBeats posted:

AFAIK, the official line from the Met is always something along the lines of "a major incident has occured" until they feel ready to talk. Mothra could be vaporizing the Houses of Parliament and they would probably release a statement that "officers are responding to a serious disturbance near Westminster Bridge. Citizens are advised to keep doors and windows locked and avoid contact with the pollen drifting from the mighty wings of giant alien insects."

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I think they're calling it a terrorist event now. I guess some right wing papers were smearing that mosque before the attack happened? Rupert Murdoch needs to just die already

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The worst part is they are unwilling so far to call the Muslim girl beat to death a hate crime.....

...I can't think of anything more likely to be a hate crime.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think they're calling it a terrorist event now. I guess some right wing papers were smearing that mosque before the attack happened? Rupert Murdoch needs to just die already

IIRC, Finsbury Park Mosque was pretty radical for a number of years. Richard Reid and Zacarias Moussaoui both attended services there. Place eventually became every right-winger's go-to example of how Muslims would never be able to integrate and would always remain a danger. I think MI5 eventually busted the old board for money laundering or something and the new people have been working on unfucking the place.

Featured prominently in gutter press scaremongering for years, which is why it was attacked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The worst part is they are unwilling so far to call the Muslim girl beat to death a hate crime.....

Abductions and murders like that are pretty common in NoVA. There's plenty of would-be serial killers because it's a suburban hellscape, so it's possible it wasn't​ a hate crime.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Abductions and murders like that are pretty common in NoVA. There's plenty of would-be serial killers because it's a suburban hellscape, so it's possible it wasn't​ a hate crime.

They already arrested the guy, and all indications are he specifically targeted Muslims, going so far as to follow a group of them from their Mosque.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Russia warns US after downing of Syrian jet: https://apnews.com/35ea1dae18c94c52ac8bf54e1c5fa8a5

Moscow announcing that any US or US allied aircraft that flies west of the Euphrates is a target.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

Russia warns US after downing of Syrian jet: https://apnews.com/35ea1dae18c94c52ac8bf54e1c5fa8a5

Moscow announcing that any US or US allied aircraft that flies west of the Euphrates is a target.

Good luck with that, Russia.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
The worst part is they are unwilling so far to call the Muslim plane shoot down a hate crime.....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

The worst part is they are unwilling so far to call the Muslim plane shoot down a hate crime.....

:un:

You could at least try with your hot takes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Good luck with that, Russia.

?

They can do it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

?

They can do it.

Light up people with radar, yes. They won't actually shoot anyone down. This isn't Turkey they are talking about targeting.

They already backed down too:

https://twitter.com/airwars/status/876793527887429632

Putin isn't stupid, he helped a reactionary idiot win the presidency.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How come the conclusion of Top Gun didn't start WW3? Or is that the sequel? I know it's not a current event but it does seem familiar, albeit different shoes, other feet etc.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

TBeats posted:

How come the conclusion of Top Gun didn't start WW3? Or is that the sequel?

The Soviets realized they couldn't handle us on the volleyball court.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

How come the conclusion of Top Gun didn't start WW3?

IIRC they were either fighting exported MiGs or it was a case of "advisors" rather than fighting Russia straight up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redneck nazgul posted:

The Soviets realized they couldn't handle us on the volleyball court.

I suspect the homo-eroticism scared them off.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
woops

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/876799150846816256

https://www.upguard.com/breaches/the-rnc-files

Don't store sensitive poo poo on public amazon servers :cripes:

quote:

In what is the largest known data exposure of its kind, UpGuard’s Cyber Risk Team can now confirm that unsecured databases containing the sensitive personal details of over 198 million American voters was left exposed to the internet by a firm working on behalf of the Republican National Committee (RNC) in their efforts to elect Donald Trump. The data, which was stored in a publicly accessible cloud server owned by Republican data firm Deep Root Analytics, included 1.1 terabytes of entirely unsecured personal information compiled by DRA and at least two other Republican contractors, TargetPoint Consulting, Inc.and Data Trust. In total, the personal information of potentially near all of America’s 200 million registered voters was exposed, including names, dates of birth, home addresses, phone numbers, and voter registration details, as well as data described as “modeled” voter ethnicities and religions.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure this is going a bit overboard with the leaks, GOP.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
200 million is like... nearly every registered voter isn't it?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
but her emails

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect the homo-eroticism scared them off.

Googling for "Sexy Putin Images" has probably just put me on a watchlist.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm the lightly airbrushed traps, delts, triceps and biceps

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sorry Putin buddy but you are definitely NOT invited to the company beach volleyball game. But you still need to be there for mandatory fun.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

champs...

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jE1OgNyvIg

:lol:

SwampDonkey fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 19, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Don't store sensitive poo poo on public amazon servers :cripes:

AWS environments are almost certainly more secure than anything in-house that some organization that would put something like this on a machine exposed to public internet would have

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

AWS environments are almost certainly more secure than anything in-house that some organization that would put something like this on a machine exposed to public internet would have

I feel like this sort of data maybe shouldn't be on a public facing server at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hexyflexy posted:

Googling for "Sexy Putin Images" has probably just put me on a watchlist.

Its ironic considering how far Putin is pushing the anti-LGBT poo poo in Russia.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Another 'attack' in Paris, if you can call ramming a police car a terrorist attack.

If I remember history correctly, the next act of terrorism will be left-wing extremists almost killing Dustin Hoffman.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like this sort of data maybe shouldn't be on a public facing server at all.

yeah sure but the problem is that they've put it on something with access to public internet (an occurrence not unique to AWS), not that they used AWS

i should probably use the goonsay emote here for being a pedantic dork but it's an important distinction that people get wrong a lot

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yeah sure but the problem is that they've put it on something with access to public internet (an occurrence not unique to AWS), not that they used AWS

i should probably use the goonsay emote here for being a pedantic dork but it's an important distinction that people get wrong a lot

Can't you make an AWS instance that isn't public facing?

Being on AWS is an irrelevant detail that no one should really care about.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Big news in the Senate: democrats found the locked closet that stored their backbone.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/876820670906335234

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/876823255558086657

What this basically means is that the Senate is about to grind to a halt, even worse than normal. When the Senate doesn't have unanimous consent to even do basic stuff, absolutely nothing gets done. Therefore, the idea goes, healthcare can't get done.

Blockade will likely last until the mysterious Trumpcare bill sees the light of day.

Mitch McConnell (R-Turtle) can try to get around it, but to the best of my knowledge, there might be no way around it. I don't know of this procedural trick being used before.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Countdown until congressional republicans try to just change the rules begins now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The problem isn't that Russia is going to actively shoot down US planes on purpose, but that both the US and Russia are adding more idiot juice to this retard souffle and one day someone is accidentally gonna shoot the wrong person and welp

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Being on AWS is an irrelevant detail that no one should really care about.

yes, we are in agreement. that's what i'm trying and failing to communicate

and yeah you can have it so you connect to your instance over not-public internet but you also can and should restrict traffic types between your EC2 (your servers, basically) instances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Can't you make an AWS instance that isn't public facing?

You absolutely can, even S3 buckets. And it's not rocket science.

• Locked thread