Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

How do you get renaissance in the Americas before the colonizers come--do you just keep developing a province or is there something else to it?

Yeah, for non-Europeans it's often a good idea to develop the poo poo out of a province to seed the institution there. Renaissance, Printing Press both are slow to spread to non-Euros and it's often a good idea to "buy" them with development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Printing Press is especially annoying for a FCFS run because by the time it fires you're gonna have 2000+ development anyway. Even once you've seeded it in one province it takes forever to embrace because your states are so widely distributed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

How do you get renaissance in the Americas before the colonizers come--do you just keep developing a province or is there something else to it?

You don't. You cannot get Rennaisance until you reform your government, and this can't be done until any country with Feudalism borders you.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

^that's probably a good idea. It's generally higher dev too I think, so with the age bonus you'll end up getting some pretty decent states to have as the core of your nation. Fighting around the Amazon wasteland is also a colossal pain in the rear end. I put extra movement speed into my ideas which helps a bit though.

Can't you guys just disband the excess normal cav you have so you can use the banner cav? After I had a bunch of banners active I recomposed my armies with that in mind. Plus I put the +15% cavalry ratio into my ideas, so extra cavalry are working fine for me. Since the hard parts of this run take place in the early game, you want as much cav as you can get.

I just tried it out quickly and I do think starting in NA is better than starting in the Panama area.

Starting in Panama, your early Siberian Frontier expansion is a bit restricted by geography and especially if you're going for Ideas Guy (only one 3-dev starting province) your expansion through the isthmus is incredibly slow. Also, most of your provinces will be expensive to develop in which means seeding the Renaissance is quite expensive.

Starting on the East Coast of NA, you can expand much more rapidly as there's simply more room for Frontiers. It's also much cheaper to develop provinces.

Panama does get provinces on two continents instantly meaning a faster unlock of +1 all dev for completed colonies, but I think in the long term it's better to have explosive early game growth and cheaper institution spread than a couple decades of extra development.

Note: there are a couple temperate grassland provinces in Peru which probably work too

skasion posted:

Printing Press is especially annoying for a FCFS run because by the time it fires you're gonna have 2000+ development anyway. Even once you've seeded it in one province it takes forever to embrace because your states are so widely distributed.

Yeah, again, I think an advantage toward starting in Eastern NA. You can focus your states and development there much more cheaply.

e: you could totally do the Gulf Coast or there are a couple farmland provinces in the Midwest too

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 18, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dang this was where i was at in the 1540s

but i went whole hog with my start

which is a non-ideas guy start obviously but bornholm ideas guy is the most fun anyway

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna try an east coast start as soon as I get the achievement on this run (only a couple provinces in BC/Alaska to go, plus tedious hellwars with Castile, Portugal, and France for their various lovely islands) but I feel like the disadvantage from not having the Two Continents bonus from the start would be really harsh. It's a gigantic help to rushing 800 splendor, the age bonus for better colonies adds an absolutely enormous amount of development and while I'm sure you could figure out a way to get the splendor otherwise I wouldn't want it to have taken twenty or even ten years longer to get.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

skasion posted:

I'm gonna try an east coast start as soon as I get the achievement on this run (only a couple provinces in BC/Alaska to go, plus tedious hellwars with Castile, Portugal, and France for their various lovely islands) but I feel like the disadvantage from not having the Two Continents bonus from the start would be really harsh. It's a gigantic help to rushing 800 splendor, the age bonus for better colonies adds an absolutely enormous amount of development and while I'm sure you could figure out a way to get the splendor otherwise I wouldn't want it to have taken twenty or even ten years longer to get.

I just checked and it's possible to place your capital as far north as South Carolina and still be in range to place a second province in South America, which would give you the two continent bonus on day one (if you're not going for one of the achievements that require a single-province start) - the two provinces that worked for me were Waccamaw and Guajira but anything closer together would also work.

With those split provinces it'd also be possible to do the "flip your capital back and forth between continents" strategy that someone mentioned earlier, but I don't know how practical it'd be to drain admin points like that

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baconomics posted:

I just checked and it's possible to place your capital as far north as South Carolina and still be in range to place a second province in South America, which would give you the two continent bonus on day one (if you're not going for one of the achievements that require a single-province start) - the two provinces that worked for me were Waccamaw and Guajira but anything closer together would also work.

With those split provinces it'd also be possible to do the "flip your capital back and forth between continents" strategy that someone mentioned earlier, but I don't know how practical it'd be to drain admin points like that

you want to tunnel through the Aztecs and Mayans ASAP so you can connect the continents and spam Siberian Frontiers everywhere

also, the new Russian stuff is cool and all but Ming having tributaries up to the Urals makes the mid-game really stupid and boring

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

dang this was where i was at in the 1540s

but i went whole hog with my start

Well poo poo, no wonder you started off so fast - I started with two provinces hahaha

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well that's no excuse

It sounds like you got unlucky with your starts, maybe try again with your capital in the US and your second province down in South America like people were saying.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
God drat I somehow reverted to a primitive again, despite managing to embrace renaissance this time. There's something going on here.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm growing increasingly unhappy with the EU4 DLC model.

What is everyone talking about this patch? Goofy exploits with New World custom nations using the Siberian Frontiers idea.

Meanwhile, most of what the DLC affects (Muscovy/Russia) gets extremely dumb mid/late game because Ming tributaries are still unbalanced and reach to the Urals.

e: basically they haven't bothered to balance and tweak their last DLC release which has directly caused Third Rome to only be interesting because of exploits. Actually playing Russia is poo poo beyond the early game.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 19, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

God drat I somehow reverted to a primitive again, despite managing to embrace renaissance this time. There's something going on here.

Can you take some screenshots? It's hard to try and diagnose what's going on otherwise

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

That's my concern as well; having to wait an extra couple of decades (?) for the +3 dev colonial bonus could be a significant (10%?) drop in overall development across your empire, since most of your provinces come from low-dev colonies. Your only fast day-1 alternative is to humiliate a rival, which you should be doing anyway.

Being able to gobble up more low-dev provinces in the early game doesn't sound like it'll help your late game nearly as much as getting the consistent +3 development earlier on

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Can you take some screenshots? It's hard to try and diagnose what's going on otherwise

Think that shows that yes, I previously was not primitive, but now somehow am primitive, dunno what else would even help to figure out HOW that happened.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

That's my concern as well; having to wait an extra couple of decades (?) for the +3 dev colonial bonus could be a significant (10%?) drop in overall development across your empire, since most of your provinces come from low-dev colonies. Your only fast day-1 alternative is to humiliate a rival, which you should be doing anyway.

Being able to gobble up more low-dev provinces in the early game doesn't sound like it'll help your late game nearly as much as getting the consistent +3 development earlier on

Does your late game need help if you own all of NA by the early 1500s?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Does your late game need help if you own all of NA by the early 1500s?

I don't think that's relevant, we're just min/max theorizing here

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that's relevant, we're just min/max theorizing here

It's relevant if it lets you get the achievement quicker

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

It's relevant if it lets you get the achievement quicker

I mean yeah, if you literally just want to get as much area as possible as fast as possible then faster expansion earlier is better, sure. That wasn't the condition of the discussion though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 19, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So if banners are a bit funky, why is Manchu the recommended culture for abusing Siberian Frontiers in a First Come, First Served run?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

So if banners are a bit funky, why is Manchu the recommended culture for abusing Siberian Frontiers in a First Come, First Served run?

I don't think anyone was saying they're funky, someone was just wondering why they always got only cavalry (the answer is that you get whatever proportion of units gets you as close to your cavalry ratio as possible, which is probably 50% while you're probably only running like 5-20% normally). In the worst case you can get free, strictly-better cavalry that don't cost manpower to build or reinforce.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Russia is a loving monster in the new DLC btw. It's 1530, I'm already bordering Hungary, I'm the 1st Great Power in the world, and I don't think this country has seen an entire year of peace ever. If Ming wants tributaries in the Caucasus, :getin:

[edit] Now I've touched Outer Mongolia.

[edit2] It's not even 1540. I'm gonna loving get exploration as my 3rd idea and colonize the Americas as well.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 19, 2017

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

I just now realized the full scope of how hilariously broken New World Siberian Frontiers is.

The first image is the custom nation setup, the second image is four years into the game:

1. Snake your initial provinces through Mesoamerica, saving the trouble of having to conquer through it.

2. Place chains of starting provinces separated from each other by single empty provinces as far as you can in every direction. Colonizing the empty province gives it a land connection to your capital, allowing you to immediately use it to make more colonies which then connect even more provinces. Rinse and repeat until everything's connected, then expand exponentially in every direction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Baconomics posted:

I just now realized the full scope of how hilariously broken New World Siberian Frontiers is.

The first image is the custom nation setup, the second image is four years into the game:

1. Snake your initial provinces through Mesoamerica, saving the trouble of having to conquer through it.

2. Place chains of starting provinces separated from each other by single empty provinces as far as you can in every direction. Colonizing the empty province gives it a land connection to your capital, allowing you to immediately use it to make more colonies which then connect even more provinces. Rinse and repeat until everything's connected, then expand exponentially in every direction.

Jesus Christ lol. This game

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

What is everyone talking about this patch? Goofy exploits with New World custom nations using the Siberian Frontiers idea.

Meanwhile, most of what the DLC affects (Muscovy/Russia) gets extremely dumb mid/late game because Ming tributaries are still unbalanced and reach to the Urals.

e: basically they haven't bothered to balance and tweak their last DLC release which has directly caused Third Rome to only be interesting because of exploits. Actually playing Russia is poo poo beyond the early game.
Yeah, the EU4 DLC have been getting increasingly worse in my opinion. Rights of Man was kind of cool though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Too Poetic posted:

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, the EU4 DLC have been getting increasingly worse in my opinion. Rights of Man was kind of cool though.
I am glad that they are still supporting the game and it is my hope that they have realized that they could not continue to bloat the game with large-scale features and they will continue to support the game for another year or two by adding content patches like Third Rome every quarter (or something) that add content to one area of the game map. There are whales out there who will buy every DLC even if they dont play as those countries I bet, as well as the people who like achievement hunting that will buy DLCs that help them get achievements.

I just really loving hope they fix Ming.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

reignonyourparade posted:

Think that shows that yes, I previously was not primitive, but now somehow am primitive, dunno what else would even help to figure out HOW that happened.

This is the same thing that happened to me. It's a bummer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jester Mcgee posted:

This is the same thing that happened to me. It's a bummer.
Have you guys bug reported this?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Have you guys been releasing primitive nations as vassals? Apparently that causes it

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
What are the conditions for a collection of colonial provinces becoming their own nation, and do I want to avoid that or work towards it?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
If you don't want to start in Panama, you can start in a province next to Trinidad and Tonago. It is considered connected by land due to the strait, and is considered part of North America.

I did my First Come, First Served as a Polynesian. I'd really like to see a Immersion Pack for them. All the cultures are lumped into a blanket Polynesian which is part of the Malaysian group (alongside a broken "madagascaran"). All of those islands are basically worthless and boring. At least spindle some OPMS like Hawaii, Samoa, and Maori. This is the time period when Kamehameha united the Hawaiian islands, so there is potential for events.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Have you guys been releasing primitive nations as vassals? Apparently that causes it
This is good to know, thank you. Is there somewhere on the forums that we can get more information? Like if I let institutions spread to the province will they still release as a primitive?

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I did my First Come, First Served as a Polynesian. I'd really like to see a Immersion Pack for them. All the cultures are lumped into a blanket Polynesian which is part of the Malaysian group (alongside a broken "madagascaran"). All of those islands are basically worthless and boring. At least spindle some OPMS like Hawaii, Samoa, and Maori. This is the time period when Kamehameha united the Hawaiian islands, so there is potential for events.
I think all of those countries are on too small a scale to matter in EU4. None of them ever projected power anywhere else, built armies on the scale of even the smallest powers on the continents and never had ships bigger than catamarans.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think all of those countries are on too small a scale to matter in EU4. None of them ever projected power anywhere else, built armies on the scale of even the smallest powers on the continents and never had ships bigger than catamarans.

there was an entire mini-DLC dedicated to reviving a state that was doomed from the very start of EU4's time period

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If you don't want to start in Panama, you can start in a province next to Trinidad and Tonago. It is considered connected by land due to the strait, and is considered part of North America.

The thing that kind of damns that idea is that it's really tedious to deal with small islands in EU4 to the point where I usually just avoid ever taking them, and in order to change that you'd probably have to completely rework how the basics of combat work.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

I am glad that they are still supporting the game and it is my hope that they have realized that they could not continue to bloat the game with large-scale features and they will continue to support the game for another year or two by adding content patches like Third Rome every quarter (or something) that add content to one area of the game map. There are whales out there who will buy every DLC even if they dont play as those countries I bet, as well as the people who like achievement hunting that will buy DLCs that help them get achievements.

I just really loving hope they fix Ming.
I am too but is the amount of content in Third Rome really worth 10 dollars

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 19, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

there was an entire mini-DLC dedicated to reviving a state that was doomed from the very start of EU4's time period
Fair but that state is in every game at the start, has thousand upon thousand of fanboys, has a ton of history behind it, is fun to revive in the game, and actually fielded armies in the game's scale and whatnot.

Too Poetic posted:

I am too but is the amount of content in Third Rome really worth 10 dollars
Heh, very good question. No. I bought it to take advantage of the Siberian Frontier exploit.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fair but that state is in every game at the start, has thousand upon thousand of fanboys, has a ton of history behind it, is fun to revive in the game, and actually fielded armies in the game's scale and whatnot.

Heh, very good question. No. I bought it to take advantage of the Siberian Frontier exploit.

What did tidore and ternate do to project their power

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

apparently they didn't flag the new achievements to require No Custom Nations. so for the greek one you can give yourself all the provinces and form greece, or for the dithmarschen one you can custom nation denmark out of the game and free Holland too

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

What did tidore and ternate do to project their power
They produced spices (cloves I think?) and fought each other for control of the trade. They are each actually tiny rear end islands off the coast of Halmhera and not nearly the size that they are depicted in EU4, but they were heavily involved in the spice trade. I forget when they went Muslim but they were considered Sultanates if only because of their wealth and not necessarily the size of their countries. Though they did compete for control of other islands in the region.

edit: :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

What are the conditions for a collection of colonial provinces becoming their own nation, and do I want to avoid that or work towards it?

If you have at least five core (full or territorial) provinces in a single colonial region, and your capital is in the Old World, they will form a colonial nation. The only way to effectively avoid this is to move your capital to the New World, but you can only do that if your current capital is your only stated province in the Old World. It's generally not worth avoiding because colonial nations give you a lot of good advantages - most importantly, an extra merchant for each CN with at least 10 provinces.

• Locked thread