Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It just meshes with some and not with others, I guess. I think the writing is very good and while it does the usual open world stuff, it is very polished and does them in fun ways (like how collectibles have in-game maps you can buy and don't count towards 100% completion, have good writing behind them, etc). I really loved the world, it's history, the protagonist and her personality, and the mechanics of hunting/fighting robots, as well as the difficulty/empowerment arc from beginning to end. The story is just very, very well done.

Then again there are those who disagree with most all of that and that's OK but I weep for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I mean these are all the standouts of 2017 so it's going to come down to a matter of opinion. But for me personally, Horizon is one twee teen subplot away from having every single thing I think is cool in one video game.

The twee teen stuff in Horizon rules a lot, actually.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It does but there's not enough.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fair enough, I haven't gotten to Meridien yet so maybe I just haven't reached the point where it'll become utterly amazing. I do really enjoy the game, it just mostly seems like a really polished version of open world games I've played before

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

It does but there's not enough.

OH! I misread that lol.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't play many open world games, which could be one reason why I am so utterly amazed by it.
I'm still so shocked by the graphical fidelity. I'm only on a PS4 slim, but heavens above it rivals my GTX970. Lady VG had to hear me keep saying "Look at her face! Look at the eyes!"

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I don't play many open world games, which could be one reason why I am so utterly amazed by it.
I'm still so shocked by the graphical fidelity. I'm only on a PS4 slim, but heavens above it rivals my GTX970. Lady VG had to hear me keep saying "Look at her face! Look at the eyes!"

I played on a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV with HDR, and I can't think of a PC game that competed visually except perhaps Rise of the Tomb Raider on a GeForce GTX 1080 with max settings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Pablo Gigante posted:

Fair enough, I haven't gotten to Meridien yet so maybe I just haven't reached the point where it'll become utterly amazing. I do really enjoy the game, it just mostly seems like a really polished version of open world games I've played before

I would say there's no identifiable point at which the game becomes awesome so much as the combined elements of the plot, setting and gameplay gradually unfold and come back together in a satisfying way that make you feel as if Aloy ends up in a different place from where she starts. Pretty standard heroic journey stuff, told competently with some plain old good sci-fi twists.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
One of these days. I will be able to experience the greatness of 4K and HDR but my current TV is a tough bastard that keeps living. 7 years strong now. No reason to replace it yet

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

HZD don't feel derivative to me. It feel fresh and with amazing production values.

But it feels derivative to some people. I know that and is the only thing that stop me from recommending it to everyone.

That and something is off with the game, but I can't put a finger on it. HZD is like a sexual joke made by Mother Teresa,... it lacks innuendo and has zero malize.

They need to hire Yoko Taro to help them write part of the story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I would say there's no identifiable point at which the game becomes awesome

There absolutely is, and it's Maker's End.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

told competently with some plain old good sci-fi twists.

I feel (storytelling device)Audio log, plot dump, exposition bunkers, soldered onto edges of video game open world could have been handled better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can't deny that it's one of the best-looking games I've ever played. When I left the Sacred Lands and entered the desert for the first time, it was dusk and everything was bathed in a reddish glow and it was gorgeous

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tei posted:

HZD don't feel derivative to me. It feel fresh and with amazing production values.

But it feels derivative to some people. I know that and is the only thing that stop me from recommending it to everyone.

That and something is off with the game, but I can't put a finger on it. HZD is like a sexual joke made by Mother Teresa,... it lacks innuendo and has zero malize.

They need to hire Yoko Taro to help them write part of the story.

Funny story, it's actually implied in Nier that they did the same zero-dawn project along with Project Gestalt to save the humans, because the old man in the Library says there was a point where there was nothing at all alive on the planet.

Lakbay posted:

I feel (storytelling device)Audio log, plot dump, exposition bunkers, soldered onto edges of video game open world could have been handled better

There's an actual point to it though in HZD. Most, if not all, the people leaving audiologs know that all of humanity (along with all life on Earth) is going to die just to stop the Faro Swarm and they want to make sure the new humans know what happened.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 19, 2017

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nex Machina tomorrow, reviews are happy, music is pants-off awesome.

e: It's got more environments than what has been shown until today and the embargo-lift, NEAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG6toH1uklc

e: on music "almost every track is a goddamn audio-ninja"

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Nex Machina tomorrow, reviews are happy, music is pants-off awesome.

Excellent. Haven't gotten a Housemarque title since Resogun.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lakbay posted:

This should have annoyed me more than it did but really enjoyed those lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
HZD is a textbook example of more than the sum of its parts, all the things it does it does competently and you can point to examples of other games doing them better but there are far fewer examples of other games that do all of them at once and all of them as well at once.

I actually liked how the main missions were giant dumps of exposition and collectibles, because it meant that nothing else was. For the most part you got some level of choice as to how much pixel hunting and audio log listening you wanted to do at any given time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

HZD is a textbook example of more than the sum of its parts, all the things it does it does competently and you can point to examples of other games doing them better but there are far fewer examples of other games that do all of them at once and all of them as well at once.

Not all of them. Subjectively I couldn't stand most of the main cast and especially Aloy herself, but I think it's less controversial to say that the loot/inventory/crafting system is a tedious mess.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

haveblue posted:

I mean, the core hunting combat is pretty original and I liked that a whole lot. I want co-op so bad.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Seedge posted:

Gwent. It's in Open Beta and it's so good.

When they will shut down the servers for Gwent does it become Ggone?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I'm not usually a trophy hunter, but I do like that almost all of HZD's trophies are able to be gotten during normal game play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I mean, the core hunting combat is pretty original and I liked that a whole lot. I want co-op so bad.

Something like the co-op Endurance Mode they have in Tomb Raider would rule.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

an actual dog posted:

This should have annoyed me more than it did but really enjoyed those lol.

It happens with some people. I know at least one or two made me very emotional.

Learning the implications of the proyect ZD. The drama of what happened. drat.. I remember thinking at the time "this story is good!".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

Not all of them. Subjectively I couldn't stand most of the main cast and especially Aloy herself, but I think it's less controversial to say that the loot/inventory/crafting system is a tedious mess.

Given the Green/Blue/Purple weapons and reward crates, it's pretty obvious at some point in development they had (and killed) a random loot drop system.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I found the loot and crafting to be forgettable at worst. I just never gave a lot of shits about grabbing that last fox brain or holding X to occasionally restock arrows. I got well through most of the game with Teb's (his name was Teb, right?) outfit and bought the purple stuff as soon as I found them and did just fine. v:shobon:v

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the Green/Blue/Purple weapons and reward crates, it's pretty obvious at some point in development they had (and killed) a random loot drop system.

Not only that but there were clearly designs for microtransactions at one point (those useless loot box vendors in Meridian and the sidequest rewards)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh new Tomb Raider game is gonna be called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd remove the upgrade crafting stuff and make them rewards for doing things in the world. Hunting regular animals for their skins/bones/whatever was the worst part of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They should have called it Hair of the Tomb Raider and spent all their resources lovingly rendering each strand of Lara's ponytail in glorious TressFX. Would have been a day one purchase for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They should have called it Dawn of the Tomb Raider and then made a 4th one named War for the Tomb Raider.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've had it with all these Tomb Raiders!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I'd remove the upgrade crafting stuff and make them rewards for doing things in the world. Hunting regular animals for their skins/bones/whatever was the worst part of the game.

I like that the game gives you a reason to hunt bunnies and pigs. Is not to hard. You can enter focus mode to tag them so they are easy to find and pretty often can be one shotted by blindly shooting in the grass in their general direction.

Is not absolutely necessary. but is nice to do if you are a pack rat or want to max your character. You can probably finish the entire game using only fire arrows.

Edit:
oops, I trough we where still talking about HZD

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Yeah this totally turned me off the second game. I loved the first one but there was SO much poo poo to collect and tick off in Rise.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

It's been known for quite some time. Supposedly, Eidos Montreal (Thief/Deus Ex) is making it with supervision from Crystal Dynamics.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've had it with all these Tomb Raiders!

I don't think TR has ever had a moment where somebody awkwardly shoehorns the title of the series into a line of dialogue, has it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sunning posted:

It's been known for quite some time. Supposedly, Eidos Montreal (Thief/Deus Ex) is making it with supervision from Crystal Dynamics.

It's been known since someone demonstrated poor opsec and got shoulder-surfed on the Montreal Metro.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tei posted:

I like that the game gives you a reason to hunt bunnies and pigs. Is not to hard. You can enter focus mode to tag them so they are easy to find and pretty often can be one shotted by blindly shooting in the grass in their general direction.

Is not absolutely necessary. but is nice to do if you are a pack rat or want to max your character. You can probably finish the entire game using only fire arrows.

Its the random drop that's bullshit. not the difficulty. And it in necessary on higher difficulties, you NEED that extra ammo. If it was 100% drop and I had to spend 5 minutes doing it whatever, that's still 5 minutes I dont want to spend but ok. But gating the ability to fight on higher difficulty with a time tax is a terrible thing.

You can still like/love/adore the game and acknowledge it has flaws.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sunning posted:

It got leaked early by accident because someone working on the game had their laptop out on the subway with the title in full view of other passengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think TR has ever had a moment where somebody awkwardly shoehorns the title of the series into a line of dialogue, has it.

Instead it could use a Bond-esque theme song where the title is sung. It's almost too easy to slot it into the tune of Goldfinger or Moonraker (though my personal, non-Bond choice would be to the tune of Dream Weaver "oooOOH Tooomb Raider / I believe you can find those arti-faAACTS").