Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That little street is such a bastard. The previous bonfire is just far away enough that dying close to the swamp end of the street feels so awful, but it's just close enough that it doesn't warrant putting another one closer. I managed to get through it while fighting everything in my way on my blind stream but I'm definitely not doing that again on future playthroughs of the DLC.

edit: Also that pointless hallway full of dudes that inexplicably do a curse AOE can eat poo poo. What were they even thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I finally managed to save up enough ears to get DMB.
I've got enough Sunlight Medals to max out that covenant, and I'm sitting around 25 Vertibra Shackles. The real bitch is going to be grinding that wolfgrass. Fuuuuuck.

The quest for Platinum continues.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, add Consumed King onto the pile of "Oh good, I beat him on the first try for once. But he's still a bag of dicks".

Come on man, I'm here to fight a dragon. Not watch one backpeadal halfway up the wall or halfway throug pillars so hard my greatsword bounces off because you're more level geometry than man. I'm a loving casual, I shouldn't be asking you to put more effort into trying to kill me than run away like a bitch here :argh:

Stuff like this is why my wildly spiraling skill curve looks forward to getting punched in the dick by Champ Gumby in the near future, while dreading the true final boss of the untended graves. Black Knights swinging their swords through eachother.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 19, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pretty sure it's easy to avoid aggroing more than one night

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
PvE boss killing is kinda bleed's singular feather in its cap as well... There's a lot more scenarios to consider.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just kill enemies till they're dead

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
DS1NDRU:

Died VERY stupidly to Super Ornstein. :argh:

Happy with my route/build so far. Been watching Lobos no-death run. He went Dex/Uchi. An interesting choice. I'm not getting any use out of Pyro, so I may switch up my starting class to get me to Zwei faster. Had been using fireballs to pull enemies, but that's just as easy with a bow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I recently got the game, and I'm rolling a quality build with low magic stats and high everything else. I'm about halfway through Irithyll, and I've got 20 in everything except Attunement, Intelligence, and Faith, which are at 10. My loadout is a full set of Knight Armour, a Knight Shield, a Refined Longsword, and the Black Bow of Pharris (which turned out to be surprisingly useful against the Old Demon King - goddamn, that dude is just not meant to be fought up close). Any suggestions on what sort of stuff I should be trading up to as my stats advance?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Darth Walrus posted:

So I recently got the game, and I'm rolling a quality build with low magic stats and high everything else. I'm about halfway through Irithyll, and I've got 20 in everything except Attunement, Intelligence, and Faith, which are at 10. My loadout is a full set of Knight Armour, a Knight Shield, a Refined Longsword, and the Black Bow of Pharris (which turned out to be surprisingly useful against the Old Demon King - goddamn, that dude is just not meant to be fought up close). Any suggestions on what sort of stuff I should be trading up to as my stats advance?

Nothing. That stuff is all completely fine to beat the game with.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

If you have 20s in everything and like the black bow, AND are already down in the demon ruins? Dragonrider Bow (19 STR/15 DEX)is pretty sweet for "Will actually deal damage when I shoot people with it" in a grab bag PvE build. Though it also requires scales to upgrade, which is a downer if you were planning on using boss weapons before you could grind for scales.

20's in everything also means you could use a dragonslayer bow if you liked the sound of that, and paying for all those specialty arrows. I like being able to actually move while aiming in PvE though :v:

If you like your shield, a Lothric knight shield is basically a straight upgrade outside of it weighing slightly more than a knight's shield (And has some of the highest lightning block in the game). Black Knight shield has higher stability, and accesses weapon arts rather than parry, but it needs twinkling.

12 Faith lets you cast the not poo poo heal, or use the status clear miracle for if you don't want to bring a dozen blooming purple moss clumps to deal with toxic (It does gently caress all about curse though).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 19, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

Nothing. That stuff is all completely fine to beat the game with.

Yeah, I'm sure it is, but there's usually some better version of a certain weapon or gear set that you can access as your stats increase. Like how the Drakekeeper's Ultra Greatsword was a straight-up better version of the Zweihander in Dark Souls 2, if you could handle the weight.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It was also the demon's hammer but lighter. Dark souls 2 internal weapon balance was a bit poo poo.
Even after its nerfs the Dark Sword is still a top end straight sword. It has the stomp weapon art if you want to try poising through things.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
finally inside Lothric Castle and those unkindled clerics can just toss my loving salad

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It was also the demon's hammer but lighter. Dark souls 2 internal weapon balance was a bit poo poo.
Even after its nerfs the Dark Sword is still a top end straight sword. It has the stomp weapon art if you want to try poising through things.

its literally garbage in pvp when compared to other straight swords.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Man I don't know. I'm on my fifth character and have only started using straight swords and their ilk. Irithyl straight sword 4 lyfe btw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Iretep posted:

its literally garbage in pvp when compared to other straight swords.

yeah but dark souls 3 pvp balance is rear end anyways so who cares

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

yeah but dark souls 3 pvp balance is rear end anyways so who cares

I used to care because "But it's not a stance art!" but given straight sword arts just get no-sold as you progress through the game anyways, that's not much of a slight against the Darksword in PvE past the high wall :sigh:

Though I do prefer the options of both a thrust, or a slash, on my straight sword R2s. So that lingering detail is why I still like Longswords more than Darkswords. Or even the ever popular Lothric knight sword, which is all thrusts all the time for it's R2 and then you realize how inconvenient that is gonna be for the Deacons.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't know if there's still an actual Dark Souls 1 thread but as I've been replaying that lately, can i just say gently caress Sen's stupid Fortress.

Yes!!! more of that dicky lightning from some hidden spot that knocks me off the 47,000th narrow walkway of swinging axes in a row! More!!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't know if there's still an actual Dark Souls 1 thread but as I've been replaying that lately, can i just say gently caress Sen's stupid Fortress.

Yes!!! more of that dicky lightning from some hidden spot that knocks me off the 47,000th narrow walkway of swinging axes in a row! More!!

Sen's was one of my favourite spots to invade people in DS1. I'd sit up high with the Dragonslayer Bow, and peg people running across the narrow ledges.

Good times were had by all*.

* me, mostly

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ether Frenzy posted:

Oh don't you worry

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sen's fortress is actually the best area in dark souls and the #1 place I think of when I think of the series

it's so "D&D dungeon" front to back. the only problem with it is that iron golem is a lame easy boss

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Best dark souls areas:

DS1: Anor Londo
DS2: Iron King DLC
DS3: Irithyll

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's funny how clunky the game felt moving straight from DS3 to it, but now that I've remembered how you can't run past everything like you can in DS2 and DS3 (and gotten used to the more deliberate/slower pace of the combat and requirement to block constantly) it's pretty fun how little of DS1 that I remember after 20 or so runs of DS2 and 5ish runs of DS3 since I last played it.

It's like a brand new Souls game! I vaguely recall bits and pieces, and after 15 humanity/30k lost souls, four hours, and about 20 tries I got through Sen's. But I didn't enjoy it!

It's also interesting remembering how DS1 gameplay takes some relearning despite my time in the other two, as I go along in this, each new character I make is competent two hours quicker than the last one, I did the Gravelord sword/rite of kindling run a couple times yesterday just to see how quickly you can get that to +3 with the various titanite demons loitering around that you can kill at level 20 or whatever and on the last run I did I had it all set up with the Mother Mask, Havel Ring, Grass Crest Shield, and the Firelink/Undead Burg/Andre bonfires all kindled to 20 Estus in under an hour.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

does anyone know if you can still trigger the miracles achievement if you're really dumb and accidentally sold the warrior of sunlight miracle? it turns on ng+ you can't get the covenant rewards again which is just loving peachy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, it's funny how clunky the game felt moving straight from DS3 to it, but now that I've remembered how you can't run past everything like you can in DS2 and DS3 (and gotten used to the more deliberate/slower pace of the combat and requirement to block constantly) it's pretty fun how little of DS1 that I remember after 20 or so runs of DS2 and 5ish runs of DS3 since I last played it.

It's like a brand new Souls game! I vaguely recall bits and pieces, and after 15 humanity/30k lost souls, four hours, and about 20 tries I got through Sen's. But I didn't enjoy it!

It's also interesting remembering how DS1 gameplay takes some relearning despite my time in the other two, as I go along in this, each new character I make is competent two hours quicker than the last one, I did the Gravelord sword/rite of kindling run a couple times yesterday just to see how quickly you can get that to +3 with the various titanite demons loitering around that you can kill at level 20 or whatever and on the last run I did I had it all set up with the Mother Mask, Havel Ring, Grass Crest Shield, and the Firelink/Undead Burg/Andre bonfires all kindled to 20 Estus in under an hour.

You can still totally just run past everything in dark souls.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Not if you're unaware of how the encumberance breakdowns work and you don't realize you're still sorta-fatrolling at 15.1% weight. Which I did!

The little scrub garbage tier enemies in 1 also have a lot more ability to flail out and rotate in midair and hit you from 11 feet away as you sprint by and beat you down in a permastunlocked situation if you try to run past them instead of just standing there with your shield out and returning fire once they get blocked than they do in 2 or 3 so it took some relearning.. Also dogs, dogs are loving ridiculous if all you have is a broadsword that won't swing below 2 feet above the ground surface, and they keep teleporting around and making you miss on every swing.

Running with your shield out as the default option is just not something I ever did in 2 or 3, I'm a rolling and dodging kind of playstyle rather than sword & board.

I died about 20 times trying to just dammit RUN to the Capra Demon fog before growing some patience and just killing the garbage dogs on the way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Irithyl straight sword 4 lyfe btw

Welcome to the Cool Kids Club :cool:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

gently caress the champion's gravetender holy poo poo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
did you die to him?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Not if you're unaware of how the encumberance breakdowns work and you don't realize you're still sorta-fatrolling at 15.1% weight. Which I did!

The little scrub garbage tier enemies in 1 also have a lot more ability to flail out and rotate in midair and hit you from 11 feet away as you sprint by and beat you down in a permastunlocked situation if you try to run past them instead of just standing there with your shield out and returning fire once they get blocked than they do in 2 or 3 so it took some relearning.. Also dogs, dogs are loving ridiculous if all you have is a broadsword that won't swing below 2 feet above the ground surface, and they keep teleporting around and making you miss on every swing.

Running with your shield out as the default option is just not something I ever did in 2 or 3, I'm a rolling and dodging kind of playstyle rather than sword & board.

I died about 20 times trying to just dammit RUN to the Capra Demon fog before growing some patience and just killing the garbage dogs on the way.

Haha yeah, the shield usefulness is a pretty big difference in DS1 compared to the other ones. Also gently caress those initial hollow enemies. Never underestimate the wild flailing torch fuckers.

But still, you can pretty much run past everything! Just believe in yourself, and maybe watch a few speedruns.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

did you die to him?

A few times. The fight is boring but also really frustrating. I don't think the wolf dash has a well telegraphed hit box. Also it's a two person fight and there's rarely phantoms for when I get tired of that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not a two person fight if you just spam r1 at the guy and kill him before the wolf can do anything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

A few times. The fight is boring but also really frustrating. I don't think the wolf dash has a well telegraphed hit box. Also it's a two person fight and there's rarely phantoms for when I get tired of that

Um...the hitbox is his body? :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The hitbox is much larger than its body, as with most big-attacks-that-have-a-woosh-of-air-trailing-off-them in the game.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

enemies seem a lot more quick and unpredictable in this game for some reason. Could just be that I haven't played a souls game in almost 2 years.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just picked up one of the Jailer's branding irons. One of the effects in the description is that it prevents Estus use.
So do I have to hit with a special attack or something to get that effect? Because it seems too good otherwise, and I haven't seen anybody use it.
An Undead Hunter Charm stick that I can just smack people with? Yes please!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's actually one of the absolute worst weapons in the entire game. completely worthless moveset and poo poo damage

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
According to the wiki, the description is untrue, unfortunately. It just debuffs Estus healing to the point where it was at before Undead Bone Shard reinforcement. Gotta keep throwing charms.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Beat Champion Gundyr on my first try woooooooooooooo

IronicDongz posted:

it's not a two person fight if you just spam r1 at the guy and kill him before the wolf can do anything

The dude is blocking all the time. Spaming r1 doesn't really do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
until he presses a button and eats an attack. or just gets guard broken