Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

3 SEA seems like one slot too many but I guess I can't think where else I would allocate it.

Give SA a 2nd slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
re: ig, valve seems to operate on a points system where you get points for placing well but no penalty for placing badly (basically same as if you didn't attend at all), which is how it should be honestly because it encourages teams to attend as many events as possible

so ig had some big lan wins and that's all that matters

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like a CIS vs SA playoff would be a fun use of that slot, but that's just me.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Majuju posted:

nahaz eating crow over all his TI invite predictions would be the funniest thing

nahaz was... right?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
EU has way too many invites

E: feel like take away one from eu and give it to CIS or something

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just realised that this is the first TI without the previous year's winner returning (at least in team name).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kild posted:

Give SA a 2nd slot.

Gross. Give them 0 slots.

Ragingsheep posted:

Wildcard slot.

Well since we're going to 16-->18 and losing 2 before moving to KeyArena, they've pretty much included the Wildcard into the Group Stage at this point.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
SA totally deserves their own quals this time, SG showed that they're good enough on LAN, and they shouldn't be lumped in with NA and deal with massive ping disadvantage.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I was being facetious. SA def deserves a slot but more than one is a waste given that the scene struggles to have a reasonable amount of teams between shuffling and bans.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Being facetious in a dota thread, I feel betrayed. Also im dumb.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

I was being facetious. SA def deserves a slot but more than one is a waste given that the scene struggles to have a reasonable amount of teams between shuffling and bans.

Then they get offed in wildcards or they stomp Secret and go on to 8th place.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crell posted:

nahaz was... right?

He is still wrong as hell

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
No big name teams in open qualifiers this year?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
yeah he was jacking himself raw during galaxy battles about planet odd deserving an invite but as said, NP probably would deserve one just as much

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Liquid got in because they won Dotapit not because they are 'the best early game team in Dota 2' or something

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Team Odd absolutely dont deserve an invite this year but I thought they might get one anyway based on last year and Wings disbanding. They're in NA for some reason so they probably get in anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/Meracleeeeee/status/876660727687241728

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Liquid got in because they won Dotapit not because they are 'the best early game team in Dota 2' or something

Epicenter.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
based on the invited teams for the qualifiers, they'd (Planet Odd) probably have an easier time in Europe where the only real competition is Secret and possibly Mouz

In NA, I think NP, DC, and PO are all contenders, with TF and Col having upset potential. Of course, they had no way of knowing this is how things would work out

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 19, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The REAL Goobusters posted:

EU has way too many invites

Four is too many?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
About 4x more than they deserve yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Between OG Liquid and Secret I disagree

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Plant odd is gonna have a tough time in the quals I think. I think NP gets in for sure but it's gonna be between D.C. And odd unless some insane upset happens.

Also looking at the EU teams in the qual, the only team that even looks remotely good is Secret. I don't know why EU gets 2 invites from the quals but whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Plant odd is gonna have a tough time in the quals I think. I think NP gets in for sure but it's gonna be between D.C. And odd unless some insane upset happens.

Also looking at the EU teams in the qual, the only team that even looks remotely good is Secret. I don't know why EU gets 2 invites from the quals but whatever.

EU qualifiers have been pretty high quality in the past while NA quals have traditionally been a trash fire.

The EU quals do look really dire this year though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CIS isn't really any better though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

EU qualifiers have been pretty high quality in the past while NA quals have traditionally been a trash fire.

The EU quals do look really dire this year though.

May I remind you that the two teams from the NA quals last year made it to top 3 ti.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

May I remind you that the two teams from the NA quals last year made it to top 3 ti.

So? The rest of it was still a trash fire so no need to have more slots.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

So? The rest of it was still a trash fire so no need to have more slots.

They should take a slot away from EU, because they always choke at TI, the good teams were already invited and the only other team that even deserves a shot is team secret.

Give the other slot to NA/SA or even CIS which looks like a stronger region if you don't count Secret.

What I'm trying to say is NA > EU every goddamn day.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

They should take a slot away from EU, because they always choke at TI, the good teams were already invited and the only other team that even deserves a shot is team secret.

Give the other slot to NA/SA or even CIS which looks like a stronger region if you don't count Secret.

What I'm trying to say is NA > EU every goddamn day.

Having two slots for an area that is traditionally been strong in the dota scene is just common sense.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also you have to have that second qual slot for the syndstack

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
EU west basically looks like the old NA qualifiers. Half of the teams are complete nobodies

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

EU west basically looks like the old NA qualifiers. Half of the teams are complete nobodies

which is why I said it looks dire this year.

Honestly, they should have made the runner-ups of the CIS and Europe quals play for the spot.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

you EU haters are going to look like idiots when alliance minus loda crashes out of open quals and team four protect five wins the aegis

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

lol if you think anyone but EG will win it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

lol if you think anyone but EG will win it

lol if you think that a team with RTZ is winning a Valve event

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

3 SEA seems like one slot too many but I guess I can't think where else I would allocate it.
India

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Captain No-mates posted:

you EU haters are going to look like idiots when alliance minus loda crashes out of open quals and team four protect five wins the aegis

Oh yeah, they're in open quals this year. They're gonna get bounced by nobodies. :unsmigghh:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

A team with a Canadian, a russian, a Dane, a Macedonian and a Romanian, sponsored by a Norwegian company, is qualifying from NA :yum:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
they spent most of the year here and also prefer the us get destroyed eurailures :smaug:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

IcePhoenix posted:

Between OG Liquid and Secret I disagree

if secret so good why didn't they get an invite or beat vp at the summit???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I don't think Secret would've gotten the invite even if they won the summit. Newbee and TL are the only teams with multiple lan wins between Kiev and now that weren't top4 at the major so they were basically guaranteed. But they basically have an invite, the EU qualifier is unbelievably free for them.

However teams that do good at the Summit typically do good at TI. If you look at the pre-TI summits, one of the teams in the grand finals always places top 3 at the following TI. I'm willing to bet that'll happen this year too.

• Locked thread