Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Concerned Citizen posted:

yes it would be awful if instead of spending money on a sign with the candidate's name on them, you instead endeavored to actually speak to that voter about your candidate

Wh... why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Wh... why not both?

if you have the ability to do everything you want to do, sure go put out some yard signs. if you are operating with a scarcity of time and resources, as most campaigns are, then yard signs are last on the list of things to do. except, of course, doing the minimum necessary in that category so people leave you alone about yard signs

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

if you have the ability to do everything you want to do, sure go put out some yard signs. if you are operating with a scarcity of time and resources, as most campaigns are, then yard signs are last on the list of things to do. except, of course, doing the minimum necessary in that category so people leave you alone about yard signs

Oh for sure, the Clinton Campaign was short on funds that was a great call

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oh for sure, the Clinton Campaign was short on funds that was a great call

yes well the clinton campaign probably should have had some signs, just so people would shut up about them. but it had no material impact on the election either way, it just antagonized annoying people who weren't going to be useful anyway. i usually find the people who complain the most about yard signs are also the ones who are always mysteriously too busy to help put them up

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

yes well the clinton campaign probably should have had some signs, just so people would shut up about them. but it had no material impact on the election either way, it just antagonized

Of course, the computer told them beep boop no impact

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Hmm I wonder if a Clinton lawn sign in a yard would indicate to a ground team they could skip that house and thus cover more ground liable to win them votes.

Nah, that is nonsense, the TRS-80 we hooked up says lawn signs are worthless

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Of course, the computer told them beep boop no impact

idk somehow i doubt the people of michigan were lacking on opportunities to see hillary clinton's logo

maybe she could have put it on a blimp? that's like a flying yard sign, if you think about it

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
"Time is not a finite resource" says bad dem campaigns

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Hmm I wonder if a Clinton lawn sign in a yard would indicate to a ground team they could skip that house and thus cover more ground liable to win them votes.

no, that's not how it works. and you'd even be surprised to learn that many people who put up yard signs fail to vote on election day

Serf
May 5, 2011

yard signs win elections

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

yard signs win elections

triggered

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

no, that's not how it works. and you'd even be surprised to learn that many people who put up yard signs fail to vote on election day

Oh but bothering them will make them vote?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oh but bothering them will make them vote?

yes, actually

Serf
May 5, 2011

hmm

problematic

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

oh okay

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Serf posted:

yard signs win elections

Should have run a yard sign, more charisma. Stands up straight and doesn't collapse too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the one paper that drove that particular campaign blunder said posted:

“[I]t appears that signs typically have a modest effect on advertising candidates’ vote shares — an effect that is probably greater than zero but unlikely to be large enough to alter the outcome of a contest that would otherwise be decided by more than a few percentage points.”

Good thing the race wasn't within a few percentage points in any key states

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

feel free to check out this book for a summary of some of the (older) public research that founded field practices used today by campaigns

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

where did you find a search engine that works

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

feel free to check out this book for a summary of some of the (older) public research that founded field practices used today by campaigns

cool i will check out this 13 year old book with hot modern strategies

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I want a yard sign about yard signs

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

ooh ooh do primary salt next

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Trabisnikof posted:

Good thing the race wasn't within a few percentage points in any key states

the best part is the bit of that paper that says the impact from the part of the experiment where they placed signs in yards ended up being zero.

there's actually no harm at all in putting up signs for races that are smaller and more likely to lack name recognition for a candidate, but in the case where recognition is universal it's not particularly useful

cool i will check out this 13 year old book with hot modern strategies

as it turns out, the book is still pretty accurate despite piles of additional research. they pretty much nailed it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

imagine if migf was allowed to post in the thread rn too

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

where did you find a search engine that works

the sa search function is actually pretty decent

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

as it turns out, the book is still pretty accurate despite piles of additional research. they pretty much nailed it.

Oh no doubt given the wave of victories ushered in by Dems

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oh no doubt given the wave of victories ushered in by Dems

well you wanted to know if door-to-door canvassing works ("bothering people"), and it turns out that in fact it does so :shrug:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ooh ooh do primary salt next

not quite at yard sign levels

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

paranoid randroid posted:

literally the most productive use of time in the hole war

fixed

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

well you wanted to know if door-to-door canvassing works ("bothering people"), and it turns out that in fact it does so :shrug:

For sure, the Trump ground game was just SO STRONG

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

"Time is not a finite resource" says bad dem campaigns

time is the fire in which we vote

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

gop depends pretty heavily on extraparty institutions like the NRA and rightwing evangelical churches. Movement Conservatism is its own ground game

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

got any sevens posted:

time is the fire in which we vote

Hillary Clinton struggling against Chekov "I want to go back! I want to go back! To before the election!"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

yes i don't think anyone claims field is a silver bullet that will win every election

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

yes i don't think anyone claims field is a silver bullet that will win every election

I wonder if many parts, working together would work?

Not lawn signs though, those are useless

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/876837278194315264

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

I wonder if many parts, working together would work?

Not lawn signs though, those are useless

agreed

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

goddamned freakaen obstructionists!!!111 :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm concerned citizen and unless you give senate dems unceasing bellyrubs/dark money funding for doing their jobs, they'll feel unappreciated and will allow healthcare to be stripped away from millions of citizens.

and maybe if they wanted their healthcare, they could have been several thousand voters in the rust belt.

• Locked thread