Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

From the public accounts it sounds like DC truly saved the ship, so good work dude. The worst I ever had to deal with was a couple smallish fires (which I mean, sucked, but were very low probably of losing the ship over).

The initial seconds are what matters the most in an incident, and regardless of why the collision happened, saving the ship is all that mattered then. Great job running a tight ship.

If you can't answer then obviously, don't, but if you were asleep I am curious why you were the one setting GQ and not someone from the bridge. I was a bridge weenie for my shipboard tour and I know the first thing one of us did during anything was start piping, it would have been very bizarre for someone off the bridge to set GE/GQ/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm guessing by that he means he called the bridge and told them to set it unless he was staying in the at-sea cabin walked around the corner to hit it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm guessing by that he means he called the bridge and told them to set it unless he was staying in the at-sea cabin walked around the corner to hit it.

We could pipe from any phone, mainly for stuff like medical emergencies that is what I assumed he did, but still the bridge shouldn't have to wait for the DCA to call to set it. That's under ideal conditions, and having just crashed is obviously not ideal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If the bridge watch team was on the ball he would have been woke up by the collision alarm first before the crash. There's a way to get on the 1MC via the phone system but i can't recall if you can actually turn on the GQ alarm through it.

You can set it from CCS as well, but he said he did it before he went back aft.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Again I am assuming here, that he piped via the phone the worded pipe for GC and someone on the bridge hit the alarm after the fact but I am way out on a limb here.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Would anyone mind breaking down the acronyms/meanings above for general readers?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeris posted:

Would anyone mind breaking down the acronyms/meanings above for general readers?

General Quarters - aka battle stations
Damage Control Assistant - directly in charge of damage control
Central Control Station - where all engineering and related functions can be directed from
1MC - general shipboard address circuit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DCA = damage control assistant - the damage control officer for the ship. Second tour divo (O2-O3) on small ships

CCS - central control station - engineering HQ

GQ - general quarters - entire ship to designated battle stations for combat/damage control

1MC - shipwide announce system

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I used the term GE which is General Emergency which is different for some ships since it's strictly damage control without manning the guns, so to speak. I don't know if the navy uses it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

OOD - officer of the deck - dude in the pilothouse designated in writing by skipper to run the ship.

CRUDES - cruisers/destroyers

Are there any we missed?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Valley Stared, please remember that if you think you need or want to talk with someone as this settles out that you take the opportunity to do so, buy you did good man

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 18, 2017

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
And this is where I don't know how much detail I can get into because JAG and the investigations have just begun. I had the 1MC from CCS when I passed the word to set general quarters. But by that point the collision had happened.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/fitzgerald-crew-saved-navy-ship-from-sinking-after-collision

The above article (sorry if I didn't link it right. I haven't slept well over the past few days) has it right. The CO of the Sammy B. Roberts says that we likely had little warning, and he is right about that.

Right now that article is one of the more accurate that I've seen regarding the time we had to react and talking about the flooding. Guys, if your DCPO ever bitches at you for not respecting the water tight doors, loving listen to them. Water tight integrity works. It works better than you can imagine.

And yes, the CO is lucky he is alive. His room is completely gone, and his office is just crushed. If you know the layout of a destroyer you can see that from the pictures, but looking at it from inside Forward O country is something else.

Right now we have other ships standing our watches in port, and the base has been amazing at providing us the support we need. One of the Chaps we have in the Desron is a former DCA (as I found out talking with him on Saturday night) so I have him to talk to. I also have a very good friend that was a DCA on another destroyer and my mentor was the ADCA on the Big E, so I can talk with them.

I happened to have family visiting the country, so they're back with me and talking with them helps.

My DCC is telling all of R-Div to talk to people. He has experience with PTSD, so he knows what he's talking about.

The funny thing is, back in December, the CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific told my CO at the time and my XO (now CO) that he didn't trust in my ability to control damage on the ship. We were going through LOA at the time. Both my CO and XO said that I had their trust and that I was going to remain the DCA.

I've been incredibly lucky in that I have had people believe in me when others didn't think I should continue. The CO I had for my first deployment gave up on me and was never going to pin me. But that XO took over and the new XO we had did believe in me and allowed me to show them that I had earned their trust.

CO Benson has been the same way. He's huge on DC as it is, but I'd like to think that R-DIV and the rest of the ship earned his trust when we save the ship and kept flooding contained.

I apologize for rambling and not really providing you guys a lot of detail. I'm keeping in mind OPSEC and the investigations (again, thank you to those that pointed that out) so other than pointing out that everyone has the time wrong and a few other things, I'm keeping it as limited as possible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dude I appreciate all you've shared so far. I had wondered if you set GQ from the CCS alarm panel.

Holy poo poo was the OOD off loving the conn and the ship running on auto pilot or something while boats and the helmsman took a nap?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm an IT reservist and got sent to a Watertight door and scuttle school right after my system Admin c school. I spent my AT on the Port Orchard inspecting and repairing doors.
This really puts it into perspective for me how important it was even though at the time it felt pretty random.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That's loving amazing. Serious respect for you and your crew.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Holy poo poo was the OOD off loving the conn and the ship running on auto pilot or something while boats and the helmsman took a nap?

This is one of those questions that I would also love to know, but is also the kind of thing TVS absolutely can't answer right now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also if the watches were just asleep. Like even without night vision how do you not see a big rear end boat coming right at you?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
As a prior DCA, I'll tell you again, you and your Sailors have done the DC mafia proud.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have so many questions that I want answered right now...

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

So all the casualties were from combat systems or admin.
That was berthing 1 on my DDG. Friend of mine said this is why Combat berthings are becoming a thing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gecnan posted:

So all the casualties were from combat systems or admin.
That was berthing 1 on my DDG. Friend of mine said this is why Combat berthings are becoming a thing.

Yeah, I mean this is the case for distributed berthing on ships.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That has to make whomever does the birthing roster have a major headache. Seniority + quals + dick sucking points + combat needs? Jesus.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Valley Stared posted:

The funny thing is, back in December, the CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific told my CO at the time and my XO (now CO) that he didn't trust in my ability to control damage on the ship. We were going through LOA at the time. Both my CO and XO said that I had their trust and that I was going to remain the DCA.

I've been incredibly lucky in that I have had people believe in me when others didn't think I should continue. The CO I had for my first deployment gave up on me and was never going to pin me. But that XO took over and the new XO we had did believe in me and allowed me to show them that I had earned their trust.

In the future, you're going to face the most difficult challenge of your life. You may meet this CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific and you will be forced to resist the overwhelming urge to slap that individual in the face with your dick. Stay strong.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Some of the news articles indicate the crew thought they were under attack; had been "hit" by a missle... so they spun up to their guns, etc...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/18/world/asia/navy-uss-fitzgerald-japan.html?_r=0

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A.o.D. posted:

In the future, you're going to face the most difficult challenge of your life. You may meet this CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific and you will be forced to resist the overwhelming urge to slap that individual in the face with your dick. Stay strong.

lmbo

The dude should be getting a god damned LoM at minimum for this.

Also gently caress that inspector.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There's probably a lot of people who are deserving of awards after this.

Some day, long after it matters, a personal, hand-written, and pointed letter of 'gently caress you' should be satisfying

Don't do that, it's just a fuhn thought. The guy was clearly wrong

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
TVS, I am just a former STG who always tried to take DC seriously. All I can think to say is BZ to you and the FTZ. I used to work on your ship quite a bit up until a year ago and I can't imagine what all this must be like.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not sure if old news but the Navy released the names of the seven sailors

lioncat84
Mar 26, 2007
Lurker of the Deep

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not sure if old news but the Navy released the names of the seven sailors

I was reading them for a news video. My voiceover for that part will probably not be used and we'll just put the names up as captions over pictures of them, but at least I tried to decipher the Vietnamese name. Incidentally, "Ngoc" is pronounced "Nowp." Vietnamese is weird.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
TVS, Ihope you come out of this okay. I don't mean the legalities of the investigation, but mentally. You have a tough road ahead of you and I hope you know people are there to help. I was glad to see your comment about your DCC talking to people about talking to people, that's a good thing.

You and your people did an amazing job. Regardless of what investigators say during the course of the investigation (I've been through a few as legal LCPO before I retired) and whatthe airmchair CO's say, you did your job and did it well. The ship stayed above water and made it home. You kicked rear end.

Not to sound all Joe Navy, but Bravo Zulu, Sir. Bravo Zulu.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What repair yard are they likely to send her to?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

What repair yard are they likely to send her to?

Most likely patch her up so she can sail on her own to San Diego in a Yoko drydock and finish repairs CONUS. If not, they'll load her up like they did the Cole and Samuel B Roberts. I doubt they do full repairs in Japan.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Logistically speaking, if the ship is going to be out of comission for a while, will they PCS people or at least TDY them? I assume a ship being floated to the US for drydock doesn't need a full crew.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most likely patch her up so she can sail on her own to San Diego in a Yoko drydock and finish repairs CONUS. If not, they'll load her up like they did the Cole and Samuel B Roberts. I doubt they do full repairs in Japan.

A couple years ago they pulled the engine out of the starboard side of a DDG and rebuilt it before putting her back together - the shipyard is very capable and the Japanese workers/American yard could likely handle the job. It's going to come down to money and time and the drydock schedule. There's only two (since the carrier needs it's big one available on schedule) and they're usually occupied.

I'm wondering who will replace her in Japan.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elendil004 posted:

Logistically speaking, if the ship is going to be out of comission for a while, will they PCS people or at least TDY them? I assume a ship being floated to the US for drydock doesn't need a full crew.

No. The crew does PMS (maintenance) that has scheduling for any time a ship goes into drydock. Along with a lot of other things like training. Some of the crew can go TDY (temp duty) to other ships for things like a deployment if they are not needed at all (unlikely) or need it for qualifications (very likely). The Navy puts people to work. Sometimes poorly but it finds a use for everyone.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

E: On second thought, removed.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 20, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is this a publicly released picture or did you get it from some inside baseball?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Is this a publicly released picture or did you get it from some inside baseball?

I have inside baseball information, but that is not part of it no.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I took it down just to be safe, though I'm sure it will make the rounds eventually.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
To be clear, I wasn't asking because I thought you were in the wrong. I know you know what's kosher and what isn't. Just didn't want to share with my co-workers without having a better idea of the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poopkitty posted:

A couple years ago they pulled the engine out of the starboard side of a DDG and rebuilt it before putting her back together - the shipyard is very capable and the Japanese workers/American yard could likely handle the job. It's going to come down to money and time and the drydock schedule. There's only two (since the carrier needs it's big one available on schedule) and they're usually occupied.

I'm wondering who will replace her in Japan.

I know the quality of the yokosuka shipyard. I went through a drydock and an insurv out there. It's night and day compared to the Hawaii yard. Money is why it'll probably go to san diego.

A controlled cut and removal of engine is a hell of a lot less complex than the damage they're going to have to repair here.