Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Crain posted:

While not wrong: He's already been fired. There's nothing to impeach.

And that tweet is from 7 Nov 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wow, listening to Kushner's voice? No wonder he goes to such lengths not to speak in public.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SurgicalOntologist posted:

It would be nice if they could publish that data in a way that allows you to look up your own information (e.g. by confirming your email or phone). It would be cool to see what they figured out about me with sentiment analysis.

The stuff about scraping /r/fatpeoplehate is interesting too. The explanation in the article, that they maybe were trying to analyze what appealed to Trump voters, seems kind of stupid since these aren't the people they needed to appeal to--they were already onboard the Trump train. Maybe I'm missing something though. A Louise Mensch-type explanation could be that they were trying to train their bots...

The real answer looks to be less interesting.

They were checking popular Reddit subreddits and cross-referencing people who posted in them with other subreddits to see if large blocks of people were active in the same subreddits.

So, if a ton of the same people posted in the guns subreddit and the BMX subreddit (made up example), then they could guess that advertising on BMX-related programming could be a cost-efficient way to reach voters they want. Or that taking a stance on BMX issues could solidify people who care a lot about guns, but aren't regular Republican voters.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The stuff about scraping /r/fatpeoplehate is interesting too. The explanation in the article, that they maybe were trying to analyze what appealed to Trump voters, seems kind of stupid since these aren't the people they needed to appeal to--they were already onboard the Trump train. Maybe I'm missing something though. A Louise Mensch-type explanation could be that they were trying to train their bots...

I imagine it wasn't a person that typed in "lets study fat people hate" or something, it was an algorithm. Some other article showed that that was the most popular sub for the_donald subscribers once you removed the universally popular subs and default subs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everytime I see Karen Handel I think I'm looking at a young Hyacinth Bucket, and I want to go hang out with her so I can hopefully meet and become friends with Onslo.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Senate, yes. The House never changes. House terms are 2 years long.
Just because every seat in the House is up for grabs, it's still lovely for Democrats due to years of gerrymandering, Trump-hate not translating into Republican-hate very consistently, and Republicans being very loyal voters.

In fact, every election is lovely for Democrats.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Fatpeoplehate predated the Trump campaign. That's the point: the targeting worked.

I think.

But it's just such a small group of people, electorally speaking. Did they really formulate a strategy of, let's see what appeals best to these fringe subreddits? I guess that would be a good strategy if the goal was to create a fanbase for launching Trump TV, but it seems strange as an electoral strategy.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Gee, I'd sure like to actually see that data these assholes are collecting on me. Seems like we should have more right to see it than they do.

Also, don't engage with cravius, report him instead. He's horrendously racist and should have been banned years ago.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

farraday posted:

And that tweet is from 7 Nov 2016.

:downs: Derp.

I need to learn to read the whole of the tweet when these things are posted.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

But it's just such a small group of people, electorally speaking. Did they really formulate a strategy of, let's see what appeals best to these fringe subreddits? I guess that would be a good strategy if the goal was to create a fanbase for launching Trump TV, but it seems strange as an electoral strategy.

I would love to know the influence a group of people had on the election relative to their side.

Like I think the_donald could in all honesty fill a small auditorium but my god did they get a lot of coverage.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just because every seat in the House is up for grabs, it's still lovely for Democrats due to years of gerrymandering, Trump-hate not translating into Republican-hate very consistently, and Republicans being very loyal voters.

In fact, every election is lovely for Democrats.

The swing toward democrats in special elections so far is basically showing that the house is within the range of doable. If the Trump presidency gets worse it gets even better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It would be nice if they could publish that data in a way that allows you to look up your own information (e.g. by confirming your email or phone). It would be cool to see what they figured out about me with sentiment analysis.

It could show up on Have I Been Pwned but it may take them a while to ingest 1TB+ of leak (and I don't know if they intend to in the first place).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pumpinglemma posted:

This is literally impossible, 2018 is an extra-lovely map in both House and Senate.

hmmm....better trust the opinion of the person who doesn't know how the house works

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Night10194 posted:

Wow, listening to Kushner's voice? No wonder he goes to such lengths not to speak in public.

It's like listening to a generic white guy Speak N' Spell.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The real answer looks to be less interesting.

They were checking popular Reddit subreddits and cross-referencing people who posted in them with other subreddits to see if large blocks of people were active in the same subreddits.

So, if a ton of the same people posted in the guns subreddit and the BMX subreddit (made up example), then they could guess that advertising on BMX-related programming could be a cost-efficient way to reach voters they want. Or that taking a stance on BMX issues could solidify people who care a lot about guns, but aren't regular Republican voters.

I believe that's the 538 study, there's no indication that's what Deep Root was doing, although it cetainly could be. I only read GizModo though, does WaPo or another source provide evidence that they were doing this? Even in the absence of evidence it's a reasonable explanation.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I imagine it wasn't a person that typed in "lets study fat people hate" or something, it was an algorithm. Some other article showed that that was the most popular sub for the_donald subscribers once you removed the universally popular subs and default subs.

Right, and my question is why are they studying the_donald subscribers. I guess there are plenty of good explanations of why they would target their own base. Maybe not to get their votes but to get their money. Or if they believed that there's a large segment of the population that would be on the_donald if only they were on reddit. In which case learning how to target the_donald subscribers would help them get those people. So yeah, probably not that interesting.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm really surprised more people aren't alarmed over the Syria escalation. This NYtimes story is pretty loving worrying.

quote:

Russia Warns U.S. After Downing of Syrian Warplane

MOSCOW — Russia on Monday condemned the American military’s downing of a Syrian warplane, suspending the use of a military hotline that Washington and Moscow have used to avoid collisions in Syrian airspace and threatening to target aircraft flown by the United States and its allies over Syria.

Its announcement came in response to an American F/A-18 jet’s shooting down a Syrian government warplane south of the town of Tabqah on Sunday, after the Syrian aircraft dropped bombs near local ground forces supported by the United States. It was the first time the American military had downed a Syrian plane since the civil war began in the country in 2011.

Read more.

Remember the "HILLARY WILL START WW3 IN SYRIA, TRUMP IS PEACEMAKER" faction? I hope those dumbasses never express an opinion again.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

It could show up on Have I Been Pwned but it may take them a while to ingest 1TB+ of leak (and I don't know if they intend to in the first place).

Yeah, the data would be to be released publicly, which is probably a bad idea. And if they do they will surely anonymize the interesting bits, so I would be able to see whether I was in the data but not what they actually inferred my positions to be.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

the black husserl posted:

I hope those dumbasses never express an opinion again.

I have news and you're not gonna like it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I believe that's the 538 study, there's no indication that's what Deep Root was doing, although it cetainly could be. I only read GizModo though, does WaPo or another source provide evidence that they were doing this? Even in the absence of evidence it's a reasonable explanation.

The NYT article says that they were "building profiles of voter interests and engagement" through social media and aggregation sites.

That seems to be what they were doing. They don't literally have detailed information on 200 million people, but if you had a Facebook profile that linked to a Reddit thread, then they could use your location, age, race, religion, and Reddit link cross-referenced with other Reddit subreddits (or Facebook likes) to build a profile of you.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

I laughed when I heard him start talking.

But lol if he thinks that moving government data to the cloud is a good idea. Sure, it might reduce costs but it raises a bunch of vulnerabilities. There better be some damned good redundancies in place for that data.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Crain posted:

I'll take "Idiots who don't know what impeachment means or who it applies to" for 800 Alex.

That's Trump's motherfucking lawyer!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Overwined posted:

That's Trump's motherfucking lawyer!

I believe you mean, who is Trump's motherfucking lawyer?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, hillary had a decent chance of getting us into a war too, she just would have done it on purpose

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Eeyo posted:

Does anyone have an article on this "blank bill"/"dummy bill" tactic? I haven't found a writeup of the senate GOP strategy to attempt passing this bill.

Andy Slavitt, former head of CMS, posted some evidence on Twitter that this is the GOP strategy. At least that's where I first saw it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Endorph posted:

i mean, hillary had a decent chance of getting us into a war too, she just would have done it on purpose

At least she would've had an anti war base she had to be responsive to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

They didn't really get to control that when they went looking for what forums were the most popular with the presidential candidate's subforum that it ended up being incredible nonsense. I imagine they clicked the button a bunch of times saying "this can't be right" until it turned out it was right. When they did the analysis they probably were hoping for something less weird and more directly useful.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

That's not as crazy as you think it is. The number of bots that were used in the 2016 cycle was unprecedented. Most have to be autonomous, with a smaller number ran by real individuals. the autonomous bots were likely using neural networks to formulate posts, and those things require a poo poo load of traning data to make them useful. The russians probably saw Microsoft's attempt to make a Twitter AI chat bot, and realised they could use the same idea to target voters.

Here's a link to the MS Twitter AI Project that failed spectacularly in case anyone doesn't know what I am talking about. https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist

The drat thing is pretty much what we see in Trump Twitter these days. I doubt I'm that far off the mark.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eeyo posted:

Does anyone have an article on this "blank bill"/"dummy bill" tactic? I haven't found a writeup of the senate GOP strategy to attempt passing this bill.

If you're looking for an explanation of what it is, then this is the super short summary:

- Bills have to available for a certain amount of time for amendments and debate.
- They submit a placeholder bill that goes into consideration and is open to debate/amendments several days before they want to pass AHCA.
- When the AHCA bill is ready for a vote, then Mitch McConnell introduces an amendment to the placeholder bill that has been there for a couple days.
- The amendment is a motion to amend the bill to add in the AHCA bill language.
- They get two hours of debate for the amendment instead of days.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Endorph posted:

No, she just would have done a bunch of undeclared bombing and killing and supporting local groups just like Obama did.

Open war goes against the Dem base, plausible deniability is fine

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's not as crazy as you think it is. The number of bots that were used in the 2016 cycle was unprecedented. Most have to be autonomous, with a smaller number ran by real individuals. the autonomous bots were likely using neural networks to formulate posts, and those things require a poo poo load of traning data to make them useful. The russians probably saw Microsoft's attempt to make a Twitter AI chat bot, and realised they could use the same idea to target voters.

Turns out, all bots left to their neural network learning eventually become Nazis. Weirdest thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we had to choose between two warmongers, I'm still gonna have to go with the one who isn't a gibbering idiot.

Not that it really matters at this point anyway.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lote posted:

Turns out, all bots left to their neural network learning eventually become Nazis. Weirdest thing.

if their sample data is twitter and reddit, yes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-lawyers-idUSKBN19A1CM

I can see this being a useful person to have with the set of potential witnesses available to mueller. I wonder how many he will get to turn on eachother.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Lote posted:

If they're exposed to enough Nazi spam, yes. ALICE/Chatterbot/whatever bots of the early 2000's would break whatever conversation they were having if you typed a line from Bohemian Rhapsody at them. This isn't new.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Erick Erickson thinks it's time to partition the United States because the left is ISIS and also we all need to be more careful with our language.

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/876855730149613568

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

redneck nazgul posted:

If they're exposed to enough Nazi spam, yes. ALICE/Chatterbot/whatever bots of the early 2000's would break whatever conversation they were having if you typed a line from Bohemian Rhapsody at them. This isn't new.

let's not think too much about why bots exposed to the internet are quickly overwhelmed with nazi spam

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sinteres posted:

Erick Erickson thinks it's time to partition the United States because the left is ISIS and also we all need to be more careful with our language.

I'd actually like to see his partition plan.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/876855917194752000

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kind of blows my mind that Mitch McConnell has been a serving senator since 1985. I mean, I know that is not uncommon for senators to serve decades in office, but he just sucks so much.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Would love to hear someone ask Spicer why they banned cameras from that gaggle, just to hear what bullshit answer he can come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I know I know The Other needs to be simultaneously impossibly strong and comically weak but I still like how he's arguing at the evil left is now dominant despite the right holding all offices of American political power.

• Locked thread