Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It would be one thing if BE was a truly bad game but everything about it just seems competent but boring. The worst possible combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vermin posted:

You ever want to play a game you've only heard terrible things about?

Yeah but, like, a 2 hour movie, not a huge epic 4X game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

vermin posted:

Could somebody talk me down from buying Civilization Beyond Earth? I don't want the buyer's remorse

Buy Endless Legend/Space 2 instead.

Civ 6 is also more enjoyable than BE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got off the plateau in Breath of the Wild.

It seems all right so far. I discovered the jump attack, which is cool. The weapon break/inventory system still seems dumb though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing a bad game isn't like watching a bad movie where you can laugh at it for 90 minutes and be done, most of the time they're also horrible mechanically or just plain boring for hours upon hours. I can't think of a single bad game that ever encouraged me to keep playing. Well, besides Deadly Premonition.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

vermin posted:

Could somebody talk me down from buying Civilization Beyond Earth? I don't want the buyer's remorse

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

One Dollar Forty-Nine Cents

That is like 6 gumballs, or 1/5th of a cup of Starbucks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It seems all right so far. I discovered the jump attack, which is cool. The weapon break/inventory system still seems dumb though

Post hype the game holds up well but yeah it has a bunch of dumb things that make for good "fan boys will defend this as purposeful and good" forums arguments.

For me its more a game about making your own fun as the actual content of a main quest is weak for a zelda, but with all the physics and simulations theres a ton of fun to be had.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have enjoyed playing truly terrible, but notable games but only pirating them bc I knew I would only play them for like 15 minutes anyway

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whether you like or dislike the durability system (personally I think it was implemented pretty well) it becomes almost entirely forgettable within 4-5 hours of starting the game. They throw so much gear at you, you wont be wanting for weapons. The only time I found myself getting annoyed by it was for a particular set of quests that require you to chop a ton of wood. The axes break pretty easily so I ended up having to go axe-hunting every 15 minutes or so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Zelda is the first game I've played in a long time that really made me feel like I was exploring and discovering instead of going down a checklist someone else assembled of preplaced stuff. I mean, I know that was what I was doing, but Zelda disguised it much better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The only time I found myself getting annoyed by it was for a particular set of quests that require you to chop a ton of wood. The axes break pretty easily so I ended up having to go axe-hunting every 15 minutes or so.

Use bombs

haveblue posted:

Zelda is the first game I've played in a long time that really made me feel like I was exploring and discovering instead of going down a checklist someone else assembled of preplaced stuff. I mean, I know that was what I was doing, but Zelda disguised it much better.

BOTW is literally the only game ever that made me feel like that. It's one my favorite games ever for a reason. I'm usually not very big on open world games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am starting to like the Switch as a platform, though. It just feels cool and novel to take a whole console around and play wherever. I still don't think I would take it to any rooftop parties, though.

PantsBandit posted:

Whether you like or dislike the durability system (personally I think it was implemented pretty well) it becomes almost entirely forgettable within 4-5 hours of starting the game. They throw so much gear at you, you wont be wanting for weapons. The only time I found myself getting annoyed by it was for a particular set of quests that require you to chop a ton of wood. The axes break pretty easily so I ended up having to go axe-hunting every 15 minutes or so.

It's not so much the durability as "Oh, your inventory is full" and then I have to go into the menu and drop stuff just to pick up a better thing, which will inevitably break in two fights down the road? Does your carrying capacity go up?

In Training posted:

I have enjoyed playing truly terrible, but notable games but only pirating them bc I knew I would only play them for like 15 minutes anyway

Terrible games are best enjoyed by watching other people play through them and complain

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

vermin posted:

You ever just like buying things and throwing them in a dumpster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3VG1o_4bn0

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Thanks everybody. I'll take a look at Endless Legend/Space 2 later on. I think I was getting hype flashbacks. I remember getting really hyped for it when they started revealing the factions back in the day and that feeling came back all of a sudden.

Gotta reinstall this ASAP and smash some non-Believers

What factions do you guys play?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember to throw your weapons when they're about the break, and don't get stuck on just your favorite weapon type! You get super durable weapons later on and can expand your weapon inventory very shortly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I played Horizon right after Zelda and it made me realize how little top of the line graphics do for me anymore. Zelda has a great art style but it also absolutely nails the feeling of discovery and curiosity. It reminded me of playing Morrowind for the first time.

In Horizon, I'd discover a gigantic new city but it felt totally empty because all it really was was a hub for some more quests and gear.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's not so much the durability as "Oh, your inventory is full" and then I have to go into the menu and drop stuff just to pick up a better thing, which will inevitably break in two fights down the road? Does your carrying capacity go up?

Oh yeah, it goes way up. Just be sure to collect as many korok seeds as you can wink wink

Andrast posted:

Use bombs

WHERE WERE YOU 2 MONTHS AGO :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

haveblue posted:

I played HZD after Zelda and I kept on heading for places off in the distance that looked cool, but had nothing to do once I got there :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

I'm calling the game police.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

As long as you delete them within 24 hours you're OK!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Playing a bad game isn't like watching a bad movie where you can laugh at it for 90 minutes and be done, most of the time they're also horrible mechanically or just plain boring for hours upon hours. I can't think of a single bad game that ever encouraged me to keep playing. Well, besides Deadly Premonition.

Last Of Us comes to mind because the gameplay portions, whether it was shooting or doing endless Push A Thing "puzzles," were not what I would call fun, but the narrative is what drives things forward. I enjoyed it overall but would never ever want to play it again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

vermin posted:

Thanks everybody. I'll take a look at Endless Legend/Space 2 later on. I think I was getting hype flashbacks. I remember getting really hyped for it when they started revealing the factions back in the day and that feeling came back all of a sudden.

Gotta reinstall this ASAP and smash some non-Believers

What factions do you guys play?

University. Get them free nodes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

I'm calling the game police.

No point, they aren't allowed to view the download page.

vvvvvvvvv I got kicked from the training mode by spending too long browsing the hero profiles.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 19, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm about done with Overwatch again, after like a week.

I got all excited to play again and bought a mic and everything. But no one uses voice chat, and I haven't had any luck finding ps4 goons to play with. There's no teamwork and no communication. I'm not very good, so it's mostly just dumb stuff, like never making coordinated pushed for the objective.

And rebinding controls is loving pain now that you can be kicked from the single player training map for being idle. I can ony rebind one button at a tine before I have to exit the menu and jump so I don't get kicked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DLC Inc posted:

Last Of Us comes to mind because the gameplay portions, whether it was shooting or doing endless Push A Thing "puzzles," were not what I would call fun, but the narrative is what drives things forward. I enjoyed it overall but would never ever want to play it again.

that's interesting, i have replayed TLoU like 5 or 6 times and it's pretty much exclusively for the gameplay at this point. there is something really amazing and empowering about getting through a whole hotel full of bad dudes without using any of the 5 bullets you have left

the puzzles are... eh, yeah, they're just a bit time-wasty, but also none of them take more than like, 2 literal minutes, so it's not a problem

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember a puzzle more complicated than "move one box", but its been awhile since I played.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'd never call TLOU bad even if I hated everything about the gameplay, the production values, writing and story are too high. It's not campy enough to take you out of the action unlike, again, Deadly Premonition.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I don't remember a puzzle more complicated than "move one box", but its been awhile since I played.

nah none of them are more than that, or "move 1 or 2 wooden planks". i wouldn't even call them puzzles since the thing you need is always right next to where you need to put it.

why isn't Overwatch F2P yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

nah none of them are more than that, or "move 1 or 2 wooden planks". i wouldn't even call them puzzles since the thing you need is always right next to where you need to put it.

Because it's been selling like gangbusters, duh.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

vermin posted:

You ever want to play a game you've only heard terrible things about? Even with lovely food you can find some kind of enjoyment out of it. I know it's going to be an unpolished watered down Alpha Centauri. Maybe I'm broken.

You ever just like buying things and throwing them in a dumpster?

the next time you have these urges just let me know and i'll link you my paypal, i promise the money will go toward much better ends (food, rent, actually good games)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

soon....soon you will understand the zelda thread title. and also part of why exploring the world is so fun and rewarding

DLC Inc posted:

it would've made a fantastic hbo miniseries tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

It's one of the best selling games ever and the most popular non-F2P multiplayer game in the world.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Overwatch has made over one billion dollars. We're not talking about Battleborn here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

because Blizzard games sell a lot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

overwatch is f2p. free to pass, that is. which i recommend doing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Overwatch is f2p in that you are free 2 purchase it for $40, which I would recommend because it's very good and easily worth that amount of money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

BOTW is literally the only game ever that made me feel like that.

I can think of two others:

Minecraft, where it's literally true since the entire world is procedurally generated.

Kerbal Space Program, where just getting to a new piece of terrain at all feels like a massive accomplishment. The peak of my playing also happened during a period when the game gave you zero guidance and just let you loose to build whatever and fly it wherever purely for your own entertainment.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Minecraft, where it's literally true since the entire world is procedurally generated.

That doesn't really for me. All it does is let me know that it's basically impossible for there to be anything interesting to discover since it's all just generated anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looper posted:

it would've made a fantastic hbo miniseries tho

Last of Us definitely would have made a better miniseries than a game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I played the beta of Overwatch and it felt super bare bones and kind of not very fun

is it any different now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

precision posted:

I played the beta of Overwatch and it felt super bare bones and kind of not very fun

is it any different now

It's different in that there's a meta that exists but that's about it

• Locked thread