Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but my buddy roped me into trying this and I've never played before. I got the free trial installed yesterday and was finally able to make a character on his server today. I'm probably gonna play that till I hit the wall of whatever the limit on the trial is. But if I want to be playing the newest expansion and have never owned any version of the game -- is there like a "everything you need to play" version of the game, or do I need to buy all of the previous content separately? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm curious about mechanical keyboards but my computer is in a room I share with my fiancé as an office and I don't want her to leave/kill me

PS My phone autocorrected the spelling of fiancé to have the accent, I'm not a bad person

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html

(ignore the pricing there, just the product)

The different mech keys have different sound profiles, I have a keyboard at work with zero resistance (no 'click') keys that have O rings and my office mate doesn't want to kill me (so far anyway).

Renegret posted:

*climbs back on soap box*

The best non-mechanical keyboard I've ever used in my life was a generic Best Buy one I spent like $10 on. It wasn't mechanical but emulated the feel of mechanical keyboards and I'm kind of mad I threw it away because there was nothing wrong with it.

Just buy what feels good to you, basically.

Some years back I had a lovely laptop that had the most amazing micro-switch keys I've ever used in my life. I would absolutely love a full size keyboard with low profile keys that had those switches, it was so comfortable to use. The craptacular apple keyboard does not count.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sinteres posted:

I did this until the start of Azim Steppe, but letting go and just sticking to the MSQ made the game a hell of a lot more fun. I'm sure I'll go back and do the rest of the side quests after I finish the MSQ, but being overgeared and having flying will make them a lot less irritating, as will not feeling a time crunch to finish them all ASAP. There are some cute stories in the side quests, so imo it's better to enjoy them for their own sake later instead of feeling pressured to rush them all now.

FWIW the only thing that actually annoys me about all the sidequests is I still only have the one dungeon unlocked, and I really like doing dungeons (especially since as a DPS it means I can queue and still get world stuff done while I wait)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm curious about mechanical keyboards but my computer is in a room I share with my fiancé as an office and I don't want her to leave/kill me

PS My phone autocorrected the spelling of fiancé to have the accent, I'm not a bad person

Yeah well it should have corrected it to fiancée.

Libertine posted:

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but my buddy roped me into trying this and I've never played before. I got the free trial installed yesterday and was finally able to make a character on his server today. I'm probably gonna play that till I hit the wall of whatever the limit on the trial is. But if I want to be playing the newest expansion and have never owned any version of the game -- is there like a "everything you need to play" version of the game, or do I need to buy all of the previous content separately? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From a trial you'll want to get the Complete Edition.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 19, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Libertine posted:

There is a complete edition you can buy, which is the whole deal.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Libertine posted:

is there like a "everything you need to play" version of the game, or do I need to buy all of the previous content separately? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is a complete edition of the game that includes the two major expansions, including the one that just came out, and the OG game. It's up at the Squenix online store for 60bucks, and probably available on steam or something.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Do the blue icon sidequests. Those are your unlockables. Dungeons, currents, Hunts.

Also yeah theres a boatload of exp in SB, Yoshida wasn't kidding. 67 Bard at Azim Steppes as of last night, and 64 Paladin from just farting around with roulettes and running dungeons with other people so they don't need to deal with queues and picking up side quests to knock out when queued on the higher level stuff as Bard.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Any ideas when green man gaming will be sending out the actual game key?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Libertine posted:

Stormblood has Heavensward, but there is a complete package that has all three (this one I think: https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Online-Complete-PC/dp/B071CMXD5H?th=1)

There's also a new player referral bonus that I think your buddy can get that will give both of you some helpful stuffs.

If you want to play with gunes, you'll both need to transfer to excal (unless there's some hiding on his server). Worth it if you love doing group content imo, plus friendly group chatter.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Beaten hard to the punch

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My only real 'fear' re: sidequesting and lots of dungeons is that I might hit 70 before I finish the majority of the MSQ and 'waste' that XP

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr E posted:

Any ideas when green man gaming will be sending out the actual game key?

Probably only tomorrow at some point.

Early access covers you until Friday though.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

victrix posted:

Worth it if you love doing group content imo, plus friendly group chatter.

Is it though? Ever since cross-server group finder became a thing.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Thanks guys, looks like that's what I need.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Probably only tomorrow at some point.

Early access covers you until Friday though.

Their twitter page says they are going to start sending them out sometime tonight. So we'll see what happens.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Is it though? Ever since cross-server group finder became a thing.

Goons helped me burn through the entirety of 2.x, HW, and 3.x in the ~3 weeks leading up to SB, not to mention a heroic goon effort to gear people up at 60 to blast through 3.x.

Could I have gone through all the DF content alone? Probably. Would it have been nearly as much fun? I doubt it. I don't think the speed thing is really a concern now, but that was also a factor. Plus completely patient shepherds who were chill about waiting for the mountain of cutscenes I had to watch.

I got to do Coil and CT in one night, Alexander and Warring Triad on another, shitloads of trials, and had goonbros and broettes providing color commentary on a range of dungeons, trials, and raids.

ymmv, but I'd rather be chatting with names I recognize after a few days or weeks than the faceless masses that make up DF.

Anyway, FF14 is a cool and fun game and I did actually play it solo at 2.0 launch, so if he likes FF/mmos at all I'm sure he can have fun with it regardless, just consider it an advertisement for the goon FCs :shobon:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All 3 of the Excal goon FCs are cool and good and have greatly enhanced my experience of the game when I transferred there. 100% worth it.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Skaw posted:

Do the blue icon sidequests. Those are your unlockables. Dungeons, currents, Hunts.

Yeah but blue quests are still gated behind MSQ, right? Most hubs don't have quests on them until you progress the MSQ through that hub, at least in the early SB areas.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

My only real 'fear' re: sidequesting and lots of dungeons is that I might hit 70 before I finish the majority of the MSQ and 'waste' that XP

Just do the MSQ until you hit a wall, then go back and do sidequests starting from the highest level ones. Definitely do sidequests that award aether currents ASAP, though, and fortunately it looks like none of those are hidden behind long chains now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Just do the MSQ until you hit a wall, then go back and do sidequests starting from the highest level ones. Definitely do sidequests that award aether currents ASAP, though, and fortunately it looks like none of those are hidden behind long chains now.

I've just been grinding rdm and haven't started stormblood content yet and I must say that I'm thrilled to hear this (and also that the quest markers are blue now). I followed a guide for HW so it wasn't too bad, but how cruel it was to hide those quests behind chains for anyone trying to figure it out on their own.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, I was planning to do every side quest this time since there weren't at least they aren't moogles. this is gonna bug me now.

I've been lucky enough to be able to just do every story quest so far, it feels good not seeing that level lock so I think I'll just keep questing and whatever's wasted is wasted. 50 quests are like 2 dungeons runs anyway lol

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Pryce posted:

Yeah but blue quests are still gated behind MSQ, right? Most hubs don't have quests on them until you progress the MSQ through that hub, at least in the early SB areas.

Yeah that's right. Definitely go through the MSQ immediately, then peak at the unlockables that become available and do currents, and then immediately move on to the next MSQ. Any others would be up to you, but I definitely recommend Hunts so you can use those as daily experience injections while waiting on roulettes. One stars unlock at 63, two stars at 65, three at 67, and then B ranks at 70. The queats are available in Kugane at the Holstery, with the Hunt Board outside on the side facing the main aetheryte. There is NOT a new seal, for anyone wondering. Veteran Hunts reward Centurio Seals too.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
Euro PS4 code for early access, earrings and minion here!

M8G9-ANNK-DHH4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any trick to executing Dragon Sight (and Goad I guess) quickly on a controller? After selecting a party member, pressing the button, and then selecting the enemy again the execution time is long enough I'm lucky if I don't clip a GCD

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

victrix posted:

Goons helped me burn through the entirety of 2.x, HW, and 3.x in the ~3 weeks leading up to SB, not to mention a heroic goon effort to gear people up at 60 to blast through 3.x.

I meant as more of a "Goon cross-server DFs are possible if you have IRL friends on another server" rather than "Don't play with goons" :shobon:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they're used to signal the start of chains now, which is nice if you want to do the side quests with the cute stories.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Goddamn, gently caress the 70 monk quest. The target list and controller targeting in general is not remotely good enough to support a solo fight like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My god, the Azim Steppe is gorgeous.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I played this game a long time ago around ARR launch and got a Black Mage to max level and killed Ultima Weapon, Garuda, Titan (hard mode), and Ifrit (hard mode)(

About how far behind am I? Could I come back and pick this up and not feel like an idiot? I didn't really level any other classes/jobs while I played besides what was required for Black Mage.

Thanks

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Boat posted:

I played this game a long time ago around ARR launch and got a Black Mage to max level and killed Ultima Weapon, Garuda, Titan (hard mode), and Ifrit (hard mode)(

About how far behind am I? Could I come back and pick this up and not feel like an idiot? I didn't really level any other classes/jobs while I played besides what was required for Black Mage.

Thanks

Good news! You no longer need to level other classes for cross class skills. You should be just fine picking this back up and playing through Heavensward & Stormblood.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

My god, the Azim Steppe is gorgeous.

Too bad that's where the plot takes a turn for the kinda dumb, and, as of finishing the level 67 story, it hasn't really recovered

It is gorgeous though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there any trick to executing Dragon Sight (and Goad I guess) quickly on a controller? After selecting a party member, pressing the button, and then selecting the enemy again the execution time is long enough I'm lucky if I don't clip a GCD

Can you do macros on console? I was browsing through the commands earlier (though I haven't made one yet) and noticed that there's a "/target last target" option so you could do something like /target x /action Dragon Sight /target last target and do the whole thing with one button press.

At least that's how they worked when I played WoW so I'd hope it works the same in XIV

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dick Boat posted:

Thanks

Sounds like you have all of the post launch content to go, so that's 100 quests before Heavensward.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you do macros on console? I was browsing through the commands earlier (though I haven't made one yet) and noticed that there's a "/target last target" option so you could do something like /target x /action Dragon Sight /target last target and do the whole thing with one button press.

At least that's how they worked when I played WoW so I'd hope it works the same in XIV

Controller on PC actually but yeah macros work fine. Target last target is a good idea--I have three empty buttons right now so I could even put that in it's own dedicated slot to avoid the issues with macro queueing.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
For those asking about the G13, I bought one on impulse a few weeks ago when someone posted here they were on sale (Thanks Someone!) and have a hard time imagining going back to the keyboard. I have no idea why people hate the thumbstick aside from maybe the fact that it's angled to the side rather than being a straight top-down thumbstick. I have no problems with it and like the way it fits ergonomically so that my other fingers are in a natural typing position. Being able to make a 4x3 layout for my hotbars with a 2nd and 3rd mapped to an alt- and shift- so that I've got a pretty easy 36 buttons available is incredibly baller and while you could conceivably do the latter with a keyboard and have it be just as smooth on the fingers, being able to move with a thumb-pad while also executing those commands is what sets it apart.

Okay, that's my last shill for G13 this month.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SettingSun posted:

All 3 of the Excal goon FCs are cool and good and have greatly enhanced my experience of the game when I transferred there. 100% worth it.

This.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Too bad that's where the plot takes a turn for the kinda dumb, and, as of finishing the level 67 story, it hasn't really recovered

It is gorgeous though

The solo duty there was possibly my favorite one in the game so far, and I'm fine with dumb as long as it's fun. I liked the 67 plot better than you did too though, so ymmv.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the most fun tank? I think I'm done with healing for a while. The "drop a dot or two and spam one attack spell" pattern all three healers use now is boring. I'm thinking DRK so I can level from 30, but I could be persuaded to try PLD.

DRK is still fun for me but I'd say it's taken a hit since SB - I think mostly because a lot of the interesting choices (when to Delirium vs. Souleat, being on top of the Reprisal button waiting for it to proc, dropping your DoT and maintaining it) are gone. It's a pretty simple class now, with nigh-infinite mana if you play it with half a brain, a special gauge that doesn't really mean a lot, and the only truly important decision being when to drop Grit so that you can maximize DPS with Blood Weapon -- you might put it back on again if you start needing more HP or MP regen, but otherwise, it's pretty static. I liked it initially because it felt like the most complex of the Tanks; not sure how I feel about it now, although I'm waiting to decide at 70 (only at 62 atm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

heeeeeelp meeeeeee