Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Poloma has always been a great pubstomp champ. The game isn't balanced around solo-queueing, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My 3s team made Diamond this weekend and we're pretty confident we'll hit Champion by next weekend assuming we don't chain-queue during one of those times there's only one team in queue and they're Champion 1 like almost happened last night. I still don't play much solo ladder though.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I am enjoying the poo poo out of this game so far. Just tried it out for the free weekend and bought it at a discount. When does it go free to play so I can yell at my dota obsessed friend for not having tried it?

Just did a casual match with Croak and on the fifth match carried the hell out of it breaking 1k points for the first time:

I've been using spit spit spit and mending toxin to tank damage during bursts and then Frog Frenzy, with round 4 and 5 no preference. I saw Croak builds earlier in the thread, but I'm not good enough to know what to do with them and this keeps me very alive, so I've been rolling with it. Also, just got Black devil epic skin for croak in a silver box so I'm pretty happy with how my game's going so far.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Countblanc posted:

My 3s team made Diamond this weekend and we're pretty confident we'll hit Champion by next weekend assuming we don't chain-queue during one of those times there's only one team in queue and they're Champion 1 like almost happened last night. I still don't play much solo ladder though.

Pm me when you're on, need to hit GC with my team before season end.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mauser posted:

I am enjoying the poo poo out of this game so far. Just tried it out for the free weekend and bought it at a discount. When does it go free to play so I can yell at my dota obsessed friend for not having tried it?

Just did a casual match with Croak and on the fifth match carried the hell out of it breaking 1k points for the first time:

I've been using spit spit spit and mending toxin to tank damage during bursts and then Frog Frenzy, with round 4 and 5 no preference. I saw Croak builds earlier in the thread, but I'm not good enough to know what to do with them and this keeps me very alive, so I've been rolling with it. Also, just got Black devil epic skin for croak in a silver box so I'm pretty happy with how my game's going so far.

I don't know much about Croak but two general tips:

1) Deceit (EX cloak) is stupid, stupid good. Probably less good with randoms and at low levels where people don't capitalize on it, but it's a very good use of meter practically every single time it's available. You can either Incap one person and then burst another with the stun, or just stun the person you had incapped after your team lines up some big damage/AoEs. In the case of the latter you want to break the incap with stun a hair before all those AoEs go off since it'll prevent the victim from using their various escape tools.

2) Use your mobility to grab orbs. When you use Lunge you automatically grab any small health/energy orbs you pass through, and if you're fighting out of mid don't be shy about just jumping over the wall and getting those orbs too. Unless your teammates desperately need them try to collect them any time it's safe just to deny them from your opponent.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Pm me when you're on, need to hit GC with my team before season end.

Same.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone playing S3? I've been queuing up a bit. Prior to s3 I was spamming casual for some reason. I wouldn't mind playing 2s or 3s sometime. Also, I suck and am diamond.

klerny posted:

I would like to see jade and croak before release :)

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 3, 2017

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Been bouncing in and out. Both Raigon and Jumong got capped a bit this patch, but Ashka helped get my team past the first stage of battlerekt so :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Managed to hit Champion last season but haven't really started the grind this season yet due to some irl stuff.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Been bouncing in and out. Both Raigon and Jumong got capped a bit this patch, but Ashka helped get my team past the first stage of battlerekt so :shrug:
Ashka has been my poo poo for a while. What talents are people taking in 3s?

I've been looking for stuff to play. I like ezmo, but at times he's super tedious to play as kinda like freya.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Khorne posted:

Ashka has been my poo poo for a while. What talents are people taking in 3s?

I've been looking for stuff to play. I like ezmo, but at times he's super tedious to play as kinda like freya.

I've been going yellow->yellow->purple->purple->green, but I'm not sure how optimal all that is. Know for sure you can flex onto red r3, depending on your playstyle.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I've been going yellow->yellow->purple->purple->green, but I'm not sure how optimal all that is. Know for sure you can flex onto red r3, depending on your playstyle.
Conflag (red) is extremely good on t3. Mostly, it extends your range by 40% or so when you shoot through the firewall (depending on how far you are from it) on top of the obvious. Depends what you're against. Makes sense to drastically reduce e cooldown in 3s.

Inferno on t2 is decent as well if you can hit it, but I get that being able to move is useful more often in 3s. Lots of 2s matchups you don't need to take the firestorm while moving because you just want to use the first bolt to bait or proc ignite.

Ashka got so much better with the ranged rework. He's just nonstop pressure now. Before he was too, but he did noticeably less damage before.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 5, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Game will be free to play with 1 hero free (jade) and 5 rotating heroes.

https://blog.battlerite.com/dev-blog-018/

Everyone who bought early access will get 2 free trial keys that unlock 5 extra heroes in addition to Jade, ahead of the frito launch.

So, uh, here's my question. It's June, we're half way through the year, we're three months away from 1 year since EA release and they said f2p launch would be this summer to this fall. Where's the content? They've added.... 1 new hero, 1 new map, and some model updates with... what, 2 or 3 new legendary skins? In a 5 month period since the last major update around Christmas.

Where's the tournament system? Automated, manual, or otherwise?
Where is spectating?
Where are some new heroes?
Where is the variety in gameplay? We had a minigame easter egg mode demoed and that was it.
Where's the progression system?
Where's the updated UI? Hell, where's the loving global chat?

Yes I know there were new hires, mythical man month, blah blah blah, but the amount of content and the release schedule feels like a game on post launch life support, not a title in early access that's ramping up for some huge launch.

I feel like this really could've benefit from some kind of a roadmap. What content should we still be expecting at this point before launch? People have asked and speculated about so many things but development's practically stopped in 2017.

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Also, based off of Freya's price, maybe there will be different ones, it'll take about two weeks to unlock a hero with daily quests giving 150 coins ecah.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Minrad posted:

Game will be free to play with 1 hero free (jade) and 5 rotating heroes.

https://blog.battlerite.com/dev-blog-018/

Everyone who bought early access will get 2 free trial keys that unlock 5 extra heroes in addition to Jade, ahead of the frito launch.

So, uh, here's my question. It's June, we're half way through the year, we're three months away from 1 year since EA release and they said f2p launch would be this summer to this fall. Where's the content? They've added.... 1 new hero, 1 new map, and some model updates with... what, 2 or 3 new legendary skins? In a 5 month period since the last major update around Christmas.

Where's the tournament system? Automated, manual, or otherwise?
Where is spectating?
Where are some new heroes?
Where is the variety in gameplay? We had a minigame easter egg mode demoed and that was it.
Where's the progression system?
Where's the updated UI? Hell, where's the loving global chat?

Yes I know there were new hires, mythical man month, blah blah blah, but the amount of content and the release schedule feels like a game on post launch life support, not a title in early access that's ramping up for some huge launch.

I feel like this really could've benefit from some kind of a roadmap. What content should we still be expecting at this point before launch? People have asked and speculated about so many things but development's practically stopped in 2017.

Uh. I agree, I really hope they're pushing content soon. Not sure I like these frito plans, like, at all.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

As far as I recall, they said they have been focusing all of their attention on making a new UI and a new "campaign-like" tutorial or something. Honestly I think they should've just been focusing on pushing out new heroes, maps, loving with game mechanics, maybe rework some old heroes, anything they can to improve the core game. I mean, look at League of Legends and Dota 2. Neither of those games had a decent tutorial (or any tutorial at all), or UI in the beginning, but the core gameplay was solid, and the content was there.

All this is going to do is bring in new players that burn out on it like everyone else anyways. They've had free weekends and sales that saw a spike in copies sold, yet the player base seems to be steadily declining

I kind of just wish they could have tweaked and repackaged BLC :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002
They need to figure out some way to retain players and keep them online for more than the 5 minutes it takes to do dailies.

Smoothing out the new player experience could potentially give them lots of players who are going to log on and do dailies and eventually not login anymore when some other title steals their attention. Like the current player base but on a larger scale. I get why they are doing it from a financial standpoint. It's going to have the biggest return, probably.

BLC had the same problem. Retention. People don't get sick of the game or suddenly dislike it. They just get pulled in the direction of other games. BLC also had way more things to keep you around, from chats to clans to in-client tournaments.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 7, 2017

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

From what I can tell, the UI development is a huge developmental bottleneck for them. They seem to be dumping resources into it, but holding off on literally everything else until they can slot it into the new UI. Lord knows what else may or may not come out with those patchesю

fake e. Also they're clogged on champs because apparently everyone on the champ design team is needed for their huge tutorial campaign :\

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
As posted on the Developer's Blog, a test run of the coming Free to Play system is going on now. Everyone should have gotten two keys (check your spam/gmail Promotions folder) to give to friends or random goons that will give them 6 free champs and the ability to play for free. Post your keys here, get some more people playing! It's still a cool game even though development right now is ultra slow/behind the scenes (depending on how optimistic you are).

To start things off here's my free key, quote this if you use it.

D7G3B-?EN??-W63IC

? == 2

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I already gave away my BattleLite keys, but did we know earlier that this game is getting an Xbox One version? Cause it was just showcased at E3.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's news. Explains what they've been working on in the past 6 months.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://blog.battlerite.com/dev-blog-019/

The new extended tutorial getting shown off.

https://twitter.com/Battlerite/status/874284312132280321

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
New champ, Dryad

https://oddshot.tv/s/4crRdt

I liked dryad in BLC, but I'm gonna be honest, pretty disappointed we went from this:

to bikini lady

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
Next week we get the Summer Mega Patch, which actually looks like it'll live up to the name. Pretty sick!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
They're really into the idea that what the game needed is more giant boobs, aren't they?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Worked for lol

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DNK posted:

Worked for lol

League has other benefits in addition to cartoon titty ladies. If the devs of Battlerite actually ripped off some stuff from Riot, the game would probably be better off. They needed to focus on increasing the playerbase to keep it from stagnating, but they put off the free to play launch for like a year, so the game will die like Bloodline Champions, despite being a fairly fun game at its core.

A shame.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Finally I can have my bikini deer waifu. Edit: It's kind of sad how much better their older design in their dev blog is compared to this one

Also her abilities look generic and boring. Lucie's heal, Queen but without any exploding, ashka's E copied over directly, bakko's shield copied over directly, and rook's ultimate copied over directly after reading the written descriptions and watching the video

Her EX abilities are more interesting and maybe she'll have some interesting battlerites but it's disappointing how generic they make every champion's abilities expecting battlerites to make them at all unique

koolkal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 19, 2017

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

League has other benefits in addition to cartoon titty ladies. If the devs of Battlerite actually ripped off some stuff from Riot, the game would probably be better off. They needed to focus on increasing the playerbase to keep it from stagnating, but they put off the free to play launch for like a year, so the game will die like Bloodline Champions, despite being a fairly fun game at its core.

A shame.

This is repeated ad nauseum on reddit but I think they're making the right choice. If you look at the steam charts you can see the game grabbed a ton of players at launch and only 1% of that base plays regularly. The game is fun as hell but for most people it just doesn't stick. Fixing that (as much as possible) before F2P is crucial; you only get one launch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Worst of all they ripped stuff from both Grimrog and Dryad for her so we probably won't see better versions of either of those characters.

It sounds ridiculous but this game wasn't ready for Early Access. I get that they needed money but the F2P launch taking so long really sucked the wind out of their original hype and good sales. I agree with them that the build 6 months ago wasn't good enough to be F2P - no good newbie guides, missing key community features, some other stuff (I personally think the champ variety was fine though) - but that just means it should have stuck in closed beta for longer. Sure I wouldn't have been able to play it and that kinda sucks I guess but if they had released early access in April and F2P in July that'd have kept a lot more momentum.

Also I'm still pissed about the new character's aesthetics but w/e.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Macavity posted:

This is repeated ad nauseum on reddit but I think they're making the right choice. If you look at the steam charts you can see the game grabbed a ton of players at launch and only 1% of that base plays regularly. The game is fun as hell but for most people it just doesn't stick. Fixing that (as much as possible) before F2P is crucial; you only get one launch.

While I agree with "you only get one launch", I'd contend that the F2P launch isn't that one launch. Because they've had a bunch of free weekends and such, plus the paying playerbase you alluded to. If those people have no reason to stay or come back, then your free to play launch will be crippled by it. So that's fine and everything, but if your game is a year away from being able to sustain players you probably shouldn't have released it and started selling microtransaction stuff in it yet.

It's not going to suddenly wipe peoples memories clean just because the version number says 1.0.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

While I agree with "you only get one launch", I'd contend that the F2P launch isn't that one launch. Because they've had a bunch of free weekends and such, plus the paying playerbase you alluded to. If those people have no reason to stay or come back, then your free to play launch will be crippled by it. So that's fine and everything, but if your game is a year away from being able to sustain players you probably shouldn't have released it and started selling microtransaction stuff in it yet.

It's not going to suddenly wipe peoples memories clean just because the version number says 1.0.
Launch means a lot of press. You'll have reviews and things like Giant Bomb Quick Look-esque videos from varying outlets to make more people aware of it. The f2p weekends are comparatively low-key events that they hope to spread the game via word-of-mouth.

Super Monday Night Combat, which had a closed beta, hosed up and launched early (I forget how exactly they managed to do this, but yeah) and the game didn't even survive six months before updates dried up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My point isn't "don't have a F2P launch", but that if they truly wanted a good launch, they should have just held off on this part of it so that both your players who were hype for it and the new players you want to bring in will be playing at the same time. They've wasted half of their launch push by dumping it a year early.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

It had a lot of momentum at the start. It was all over Twitch. Now it pulls in less than 200 viewers at prime time. There will be a spike of new players for F2P launch, but they are going to have a hell of a time climbing out of the hole they've dug themselves into.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DNK posted:

Worked for lol

LoL actually went away from that method of character design. If you wanna see a game that is all in on giant tits on bad models you wanna look at Smite. And there's your perfect example of why just having tits and nothing else doesn't work. Not that Battlerite is nearly as guilty of that. It's less of a case of "bad big tit character designs" and more of a case of "very generic character designs". Made worse by the same characters having much more interesting non-generic designs in BLC.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2017

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So I came back to this game a few days ago (after not playing since like November?) and it feels good, I really hope they figure out how to keep players going because the core gameplay still seems quite good.

Also I've made it to Platinum. Is there a breakdown of players/tier? Curious how that stacks up. HMU if you want to play (IGN: Cerepol)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
When you log in to the game, be sure to go into quests, achievements, and redeem your prizes. Got a lot of nice cosmetics from those 8 gold chests.

Also, nothing says "We want the Overwatch/LoL audience" like the fact that Dryad has a pose literally called "Over The Shoulder". Not that I mind, anything that expands the playerbase of Battlerite is cool in my book.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of Dryad, her first round battlerite that lets you use her space again during a small window is currently broken (presumably). Specifically, if you use her EX Space, you can use EX Space again during the reuse window, which doesn't activate the cooldown. This means you can EX Space 4 times and then normal space if you have 4 meters - this is a ton of damage and mobility, way more than her ult. Even just doing it twice with 2 meters is super strong.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
new gamemode fuckin owns

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
it's alright but it's no egg brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
With the discord link awol or outright dead where do i find goons to carry my badness till i learn to play?

• Locked thread