Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Can anyone explain how the tv episode rating display works? I know it's pulled from tvdb, but where do they get it? Is it only from people who login to the website or are there some clients that can send back ratings? There's no way in kodi to set a rating, or is there a plugin or something? Can I change the one kodi uses, like to trakt? I mean it's not a big deal but I feel like the ratings are usually a point too high in general and I'd like a way to contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Falco posted:

Can anyone with a FireTV see if their Kodi app shows up on the recent apps lately? I have a full FireTV and have had Kodi installed the whole time I've owned it. With the recent software update that automatically pushed on the FireTV Kodi can only be accessed in from the settings menu. I am using Jarvis and haven't yet updated to Krypton.

Okay for anyone having this issue I finally figured out how to fix it. Of course I figured this out after nuking Kodi settings and having to set things back up.

From Redit: posted:

Finally got this working. In the end, I think this process should work (if Kodi doesn't show in the Apps menu (not recent apps))
Delete (do not choose archive, it has to be DELETED from your account) Kodi from your apps list from your Amazon account
Clear Amazon App store data and cache
Reboot
Sync Amazon content
Launch Kodi
It should appear in your Apps menu. Once it's there, you can make it a favorite and it should appear in recent.
The above steps worked on my recently updated firestick. Didn't need to reinstall Kodi or unregister the firestick.
Hope this helps someone else..

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Falco posted:

Okay for anyone having this issue I finally figured out how to fix it. Of course I figured this out after nuking Kodi settings and having to set things back up.

I've been fighting this issue, and just double checked and found that Kodi was archived in my purchases. I've deleted it now, and I'll check on this tonight.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm having trouble with Kodi on an Amazon TV. I can't access the local server, which is a Windows box. Kodi seems to be pulling a weird IP (192.168.49.1) that isn't even in the same subnet. Has anyone seen this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EC posted:

I'm having trouble with Kodi on an Amazon TV. I can't access the local server, which is a Windows box. Kodi seems to be pulling a weird IP (192.168.49.1) that isn't even in the same subnet. Has anyone seen this?

Kodi on my PC shows a weird IP like that too (maybe the same one even), but I can still connect to Kodi through the Yatsi remote on my phone using my PCs IP, so I think Kodi is just showing incorrect info for some reason.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I did some more research and apparently it's showing the up of the fire remote for some reason.

Still can't get it to see the server though. I've gone through the SMB wiki and it just instantly fails every time I try anything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EC posted:

I did some more research and apparently it's showing the up of the fire remote for some reason.

Still can't get it to see the server though. I've gone through the SMB wiki and it just instantly fails every time I try anything.

It's the WiFi Direct interface. 192.168.49.1 is the default address for a system hosting WiFi Direct, at least on Android and Android-derived platforms like FireOS. Apparently the nVidia Shield has the same issue with a few apps.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So you know how TheTVDB has listings for special features and stuff, is there an equivalent for movie extras? I use Emby for the server and can throw stuff in an extras folder along with the movie. But I never really know what to name the files, it's either make something up or boot up the actual menu. Either way is time consuming and I'd rather just reference the work of someone even more anal that I

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I spent like three hours trying to get Kodi to see the shares on a Win7 Pro box. There are a couple of different ways to go about it on the wiki and none of them worked for me. I think I'm going to try SPMC next? Failing that I have no idea what to do. :/

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

EC posted:

I spent like three hours trying to get Kodi to see the shares on a Win7 Pro box. There are a couple of different ways to go about it on the wiki and none of them worked for me. I think I'm going to try SPMC next? Failing that I have no idea what to do. :/

For whatever reason, I had to actually type in my hostname in order to get it to work because it wouldn't see it otherwise. Worth a try if you haven't already.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Milkman posted:

So you know how TheTVDB has listings for special features and stuff, is there an equivalent for movie extras? I use Emby for the server and can throw stuff in an extras folder along with the movie. But I never really know what to name the files, it's either make something up or boot up the actual menu. Either way is time consuming and I'd rather just reference the work of someone even more anal that I

I'm curious, how do those files show up in Kodi? I've only done it for a few movies, but I end up combining all the extras into a single video file and just treat it as a separate movie. It works for me, but takes a lot of time to do all the work.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 16, 2017

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

For whatever reason, I had to actually type in my hostname in order to get it to work because it wouldn't see it otherwise. Worth a try if you haven't already.

Yeah I've tried hostname and IP. :/

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Speaking of tvdb and others, has anyone else had problems getting the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development loaded in their kodi library? For some reason it sees all episodes as season 1, so it displays 3 copies of each episode. I've tried various folder structures and the like. Never had this problem with any other series.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Kodi doesn't care about folder structure; it cares about file name structure. Rename everything in s01e01 format and it'll pick them up correctly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I finally got around to resetting my shield. I used the backup add-on to make a backup, but didn't think about going from SPMC to Kodi Kyrpton. Hopefully that'll work, otherwise I'll lose all my watched stuff. :(

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

EC posted:

I finally got around to resetting my shield. I used the backup add-on to make a backup, but didn't think about going from SPMC to Kodi Kyrpton. Hopefully that'll work, otherwise I'll lose all my watched stuff. :(

There might be a plugin that syncs your watched status to https://trakt.tv. When you reinstall Kodi you can install the plugin and it should update everything again.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

PraxxisParadoX posted:

There might be a plugin that syncs your watched status to https://trakt.tv. When you reinstall Kodi you can install the plugin and it should update everything again.

drat, I thought I had disabled Trakt awhile back but just logged into the website and everything is there. Nice!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

What's the current status of SPMC vs. Kodi anyway? I'm still on SPMC on all my devices, because I installed it on my Shield and wanted to be sure all my devices were on the same version to avoid MySQL issues. On my Chromebook (with Android apps) switching to SPMC actually fixed an annyoning bug where Kodi would restart after losing focus. So I'm sticking to SPMC for now even though that means I'm one major version behind. Curious where the community is at though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

Speaking of tvdb and others, has anyone else had problems getting the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development loaded in their kodi library? For some reason it sees all episodes as season 1, so it displays 3 copies of each episode. I've tried various folder structures and the like. Never had this problem with any other series.

Lucky you, I'm ripping all my DVDs (and my fianceé's) to Kodi. I had Arrested Development in the pile, and just finished the first disk of the second season. I checked Kodi afterwords, and it worked fine. So I guess something is wrong with your filenames. Here's what mine are:

• Arrested Development
    • Season 01
      • 01x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso
      • 01x07x08x09x10x11x12x13x14.iso
      • 01x15x16x17x18x19x20x21x22.iso
    • Season 02
      • 02x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SurgicalOntologist posted:

What's the current status of SPMC vs. Kodi anyway? I'm still on SPMC on all my devices, because I installed it on my Shield and wanted to be sure all my devices were on the same version to avoid MySQL issues. On my Chromebook (with Android apps) switching to SPMC actually fixed an annyoning bug where Kodi would restart after losing focus. So I'm sticking to SPMC for now even though that means I'm one major version behind. Curious where the community is at though.

The only thing I seem to be missing in Kodi 17.3 is the recommendations on the home screen, which never worked for me in SPMC anyway. The split was over some audio stuff though, but everything looks and sounds good to me so far.

Unrelated: I installed and setup CinemaVision for the first time today, and it's loving insane how easy it is. I went from 0 to a pretty simple sequence in about an hour. Play a movie > lights go to a color loop > trailer plays > lights dim > rating bumper plays > movie plays > lights go back up. There's all sorts of stuff you can do with it, though.

IUG posted:

Lucky you, I'm ripping all my DVDs (and my fianceé's) to Kodi. I had Arrested Development in the pile, and just finished the first disk of the second season. I checked Kodi afterwords, and it worked fine. So I guess something is wrong with your filenames. Here's what mine are:

• Arrested Development
    • Season 01
      • S01E01x02x03x04x05x06.iso
      • S01E07x08x09x10x11x12x13x14.iso
      • S01E15x16x17x18x19x20x21x22.iso
    • Season 02
      • S02E01x02x03x04x05x06.iso

Fixed. You can keep the folder structure but add the full thing to the ISO and make it a bit easier on yourself in the future.

vvv That too

EC fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 20, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IUG posted:

• Arrested Development
    • Season 01
      • 01x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso
      • 01x07x08x09x10x11x12x13x14.iso
      • 01x15x16x17x18x19x20x21x22.iso
    • Season 02
      • 02x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso

Isn't that annoying if you want to pick up at 01x10 for example? Why not rip to individual files per episode?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I want the special features, disk menus, and everything else. I'm basically just archiving the disks now that I have a NAS, and because disk rot has already taken some disks.

I would use the S01E01E02... file format, but I'm used to years of having 01x01 - Episode Name.ext format, so I never changed when I started this project.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So I just had to retire my 1st Gen Fire TV Stick due to it just not keeping up with the latest updates, i'm seeing lots of alternating info (including the OP) about whether or not I can get Amazon Instant Video as an addon or even HBO Go.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

So I just had to retire my 1st Gen Fire TV Stick due to it just not keeping up with the latest updates, i'm seeing lots of alternating info (including the OP) about whether or not I can get Amazon Instant Video as an addon or even HBO Go.

The 1st gen Fire TV Stick should still be able to go. It recently got updated to the new OS/look and still works well enough.

If you're talking about Amazon Video and HBO Go as an add-on on desktop/PC, no. DRM'ed sources are a huge pain in the rear end on PC.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

The 1st gen Fire TV Stick should still be able to go. It recently got updated to the new OS/look and still works well enough.

If you're talking about Amazon Video and HBO Go as an add-on on desktop/PC, no. DRM'ed sources are a huge pain in the rear end on PC.

yeah my first gen Fire Stick is a laggy piece of poo poo ever since the latest update.

I should have mentioned i'm using an RPI 3 Model B now with OSMC.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Photex posted:

yeah my first gen Fire Stick is a laggy piece of poo poo ever since the latest update.

I should have mentioned i'm using an RPI 3 Model B now with OSMC.

The easiest and least painful way to get Amazon Video and HBO Go is to buy another $35 Fire Stick.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The easiest and least painful way to get Amazon Video and HBO Go is to buy another $35 Fire Stick.

Yeah, it looks like it, I may just go the other route and cancel HBO Go. :smugbert:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Photex posted:

The OP hasn't been updated in decades, trust nothing it says.

I spent some time getting the latest version of Kodi and trying some addons, so I'll try to refresh it soon.

But also: anyone that wants to do a new thread is welcome to.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I bought a new external drive to host my files and hooked it up last night. I edited the existing file paths to the media, cleaned the library, and did a rescan. Now, everything is showing up twice - one is a broken link, and the other a working link, but with no cover art. How do I fix this? So I have to dump all the paths to media, clean the library, and then reimport everything?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I deleted all the paths, wiped the catalog, and recreated the path and the catalog and everything works properly now.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 29, 2017

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I'm gonna make a new thread. Send me anything y'all think needs to be in it. Stuff like: remotes, hardware to run Kodi, your favorite add-ons and skins, FAQs, etc.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I must be incompetent at googling. Can anyone tell me if you're able to use the android voice search on a harmony remote? I'd have it connected to a shield.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

So I'm gonna make a new thread. Send me anything y'all think needs to be in it. Stuff like: remotes, hardware to run Kodi, your favorite add-ons and skins, FAQs, etc.

Hardware listed from best and most expensive to worst (or hardest) and cheapest.

$200 - Shield TV - Runs Kodi, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, is a Chromecast Target. Kodi installs and updates from Google Play store. Supports 4k and HDR. Supports Nvidia gamestream and comes with a voice remote and controller

$90 - Amazon Fire TV Runs Kodi, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix. Supports Miracast screen mirroring. Kodi Has to be sideloaded or installed using a tool. Supports 4k. Comes with a voice remote.

$70 - Mi Box at Walmart - runs Kodi, Netflix, is a Chromecast Target. Kodi installs and updates from Google Play store. Supports 4k and HDR. Comes with a voice remote.

$40 - Amazon Fire Stick Amazon Fire TV Runs Kodi, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix. Supports Miracast screen mirroring. Kodi Has to be sideloaded or installed using a tool. Supports 4k. Comes with a remote.

$35 - Raspberry Pi 3 - Features and apps dependant on OS that you install. Doesn't come with poo poo. Needs power supply, SD card, case, and remote.

Don't bother build a PC to run Kodi unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

The Nvidia Shield TV is far and away the best user experience, easiest to get setup, has the most features, and supports every major streaming service. The only real downside is that it is more than double the price of the next best boxes. There is a Shield Pro, but it's probably not worth it for most users. It has a built in harddrive, more USB ports and an IR receiver.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Make sure FLIRC is in there, FLIRC owns. For PC at least.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Minidust posted:

Make sure FLIRC is in there, FLIRC owns. For PC at least.

This is how I connect my Harmony 650 to my Shield. I didn't even have to configure it, just added it as a device in the Harmony software and it was all good.

Also note that Shield supports 4k so its something that will be around for a few years.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I finally got an nvidia card and the gamestream poo poo to the Shield is pretty swell!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Make sure to throw the term "fully loaded" in at some point.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Have they sorted out the audio pass through issues on Android? Are the Android boxes capable of changing the refresh rate to match the video being played? I've been using an Intel NUC for quite a while but the hand me down SSD I put in it has finally failed. A new SSD costs as much as an Android box so I was thinking of getting one. The NUC has been great by the way.

Edit: looking at the Mi Box, seems pretty good.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 30, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TomR posted:

Edit: looking at the Mi Box, seems pretty good.

Probably the best bet. I admit that I've been super happy with my El Cheapo China box, but I know they're a total crapshoot. It's probably not worth the $30 savings over the Mi if you have a ton of issues or have to return it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bonzo posted:

This is how I connect my Harmony 650 to my Shield. I didn't even have to configure it, just added it as a device in the Harmony software and it was all good.

Also note that Shield supports 4k so its something that will be around for a few years.

Is that a Nu Shield without the IR, or does the flirc give you more commands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Did some reading and it looks like the Mi Box doesn't support refresh rate switching. The feature may be added with a new firmware and a Kodi update. It doesn't support all the audio codecs either. There are a few other features I can't find answers on but I think I'll just fix my computer because I know it works.