Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Went and got the amp.
What a strange day it was! It was at a place that deals with huge gigs, it's essentially a cargo depot but purely for gigs. My amp was with another one stored with Rhianna's stage set. I got talking to a couple of guys who were there and they were part of Simple Minds crew.
It was pretty surreal, I reckon there was about 20 huge trucks parked up being loaded with various things. In another room was a skull about 50 ft tall which was 'being stored from the Brits' - It was really crazy but fascinating.

So I've pretty much only had chance to plug it in and make sure it works, it does and all is good, it's even still under warranty, it smells new, well it is new pretty much..

Life doesn't really get any better for me, I'm already in love :)

That's an amazing story and I'm really happy for you. If I didn't live in a little apartment I'd be chasing down deals on so many loud tube amps!

Kudos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I got this a while ago but never took a picture.

Got a Ciat Lonbarde Cocoquantus2 (bottom).

The Plumbutter2 works well with him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know what the gently caress that is but I want all of it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Are those seriously 4 digit priced pedals?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

Are those seriously 4 digit priced pedals?

They're not pedals.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oldstench posted:

What in tarnation are those. Modular synths?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Oldstench posted:

The Ciat Lonbarde Website posted:

My name is Plumbutter. My face is a psycho-geographical map of the cities of Baltimore and Cleveland. I am a drum-machine, but let me tell you I am more than that, for I also am a “drama machine”. Thus there exists in me, a dialectic between drum and drama, like cops and gangsters, male versus female, or rural versus urban. You can see my wild spaces are represented by a deer-horn, and my downtown by a factory, and in between, a vast swath of suburban developments. It is a gradient of these three areas- urban, suburban, and rural- that informs my electronic synthesis.

Oh... kay... then...

Edit: Upon further research, these things are actually pretty neat and make some nice sounds. The guy who makes them seems equal parts passionate and eccentric, which is always a good thing when it comes to music.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 14, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It looks like a very expensive game of cribbage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oldstench posted:

:stare:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Re: the Plumbutter, here's an effort-post I made about it in this thread when I first got it.

Oldstench posted:

It's described by Peter B. as a "drum and drama" machine.

Here's a top-down, cable-less image of it.

The mixer is self explanatory except for the blue jacks which are panning inputs.

The Man with the Red Steam is an 8 stage sequencer/shift register. A pulse at the green input (clock) moves a stored bit up the sequencer. The red outputs are negative pulse outs, the orange are square outs. The purple input allows data to recirculate. Plug the last orange out into this and you will cycle the sequence. Other inputs allow /7, /6, or /5 sequences. You can also put other orange outputs from other modules in this input to generate new sequence patterns. The red and white buttons are for manually adding or removing new steps manually on the clock beat.

The Snare is part of TMWTRS. The white jack is audio out, pre-mixer. The gray out is comparated noise. The knob increases or decreases the length of the snare decay as well as changes the quality of the noise out. Green input causes the snare to fire. Blue jacks increase and decrease the snare decay via CV.

The Rollz are the main rhythm generators of the system. There are two mirrored sections. The top-most (and bottom-most) are called 3-roll. The middle-most are 4-roll. The 3-roll makes an unstable off-beat rhythm, the 4-roll is a stable oscillator. Orange outs are square pulses. Brown outs are inputs/outputs that make negative pulse outs to drive various other parts. The brown in/outs can be interconnected to merge the rhythms. The knobs dictate the speed of the underlying oscs and the blue jacks increase or decrease the speed via other CVs.

The AVDog is basically a VCO followed by a pair of VCAs. The green jack is a pulse in to ring a state-variable VCF to modulate the VCA. The filter runs at sub-audio frequency and effectively generates a shape function for the VCA. This envelope shape is output at the orange jack. The raw audio (pre-mixer) of the VCO via the VCA is available at the white output, the inverse available at the red output. The unlabeled knob near the blue jacks changes the env response rate to the pulse in. The one labeled Q increases the resonance on the VCF to further change the env response. The blue jacks are for CVing the EG response. The purple jack and the associated knob are for FM. The switch changes the oscillator from "trad" to "gonz" mode (timbre). The lone knob above (below) the red out tunes the VCO.

The Gongue is basically a VCF that rings in the audio range. The Q knob effects the length of decay to sub-audio. You can get sharp plucks, bongo sounds, or huge booming basses from it. The green jack is a pulse input. This is different from the AVDog input though in that the pulse input doesn't immediately cause a sound. The knob below (above) the orange jack increases or decreases the speed of a sawtooth wave. This wave is the delay time between the Gongue receiving a pulse input and outputting a sound. This waveshape is available at the orange and gray (inverted) jacks. White is audio (pre-mixer) out, purple and knob are FM, switch is "trad/gonz" timbre, and the blue jacks are CV ins to change the trigger oscillator response.

Ultrasound is pretty simple comparatively. Green is an audio input. It runs the audio in through something that sounds like a sample-rate reducer. The knob below (above) the green jack changes the amount of reduction. The purple input and knob are FM inputs to tune the internal oscillator. The yellow jack is an output of the high frequency oscillator.

The Deerhorn is kind-of-not-really-like a theremin. There are two oscillators internally that react to your hand moving closer or further away from the antenna on the right. White jacks are direct (pre-mixer) audio outs, red jacks are pulse outs created by hand motion, the orange out is a CV out based on the movement of your hand modified by an internal PLL. The orange jacks and knobs are FM/tuning inputs to the internal oscillators. Bottom-most knob is master tune control.

Simple, right?

Here's some sounds I've made with it:
http://snd.sc/16kGHV1
http://snd.sc/13LwD9H
http://snd.sc/15cO8hq

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The person who made those sounds insufferable

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Peyote: not even once.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pablo Gigante posted:

The person who made those sounds insufferable

I am liking your beep-boops, though, Oldstench.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Picked it up this morning. Worth every cent... This thing is pretty much everything I want in an amp right now, and I've already been told to turn it down.

Now to replace that lovely badge and the power LED with a jewelled pilot light - The only two things that let this down cosmetically.

(click for really big)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Those Champions are solid state, right? I might have missed the conversation. How does it compare to the tube siblings? I keep erring off and on about whether I would want to eventually get a Fender style amp for the sake of tonal variety. Anyway, does it do the Fender cranked to hell breakup sound? I'd love any comparison clips you might have.

On that note, someone should start a rig rundown thread. I'd love to see what complete rigs people have, but more than that I'd love some clips of people's gear, guitar or not. Some of you guys have some weird or unusual rigs and I'd love to hear how they actually sound. Words are good but at the end of the day I can't read a sound :)

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Those Champions are solid state, right? I might have missed the conversation. How does it compare to the tube siblings? I keep erring off and on about whether I would want to eventually get a Fender style amp for the sake of tonal variety. Anyway, does it do the Fender cranked to hell breakup sound? I'd love any comparison clips you might have.

On that note, someone should start a rig rundown thread. I'd love to see what complete rigs people have, but more than that I'd love some clips of people's gear, guitar or not. Some of you guys have some weird or unusual rigs and I'd love to hear how they actually sound. Words are good but at the end of the day I can't read a sound :)

They are. 100W, 2x12 speakers.

I haven't got a lot of experience with Fender tube amps as a reference point, but I played two of my guitars through this, and through a $2500 '65 Twin Reverb reissue, and they sounded drat near identical to my ears.

As for modelling tube breakup, I'm not sure - I play a lot of Mark Knopfler (hence the Fiesta Red '61 Strat replica in my last post) so I mostly use clean sounds.

I will say though, this thing goes *very* hard, and has a lot of gain on the second channel if you want to use it.

Have a look on YouTube for sound clips, there are quite a few that go through all the voices.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Got some new poo poo.

First up, a 2006 ES-175. I just got my PM-100 like 2 weeks ago but this was such a good deal and I knew that it was a killer player due to the reputation of the previous owner that I couldn't pass. It is hard to get this finish right in a photo - it is a very deep red with some very nicely and subtly flamed maple under it.

Here is a family photo (not the whole family but the ones relevant to the 175).

A 2000 PM100 (which is based on Pat Metheny's Es-175), Red (the new one is called Red now), behind that the '70 L5 to keep her company and to the right a '77 D'Agostino 175 lawsuit guitar. Which brings me to my next thing - the small guitar on the right.

It's a Cordova Mini for my daughter. She really wants a guitar and this will be my Father's Day present because getting her wanting to play guitar will be the ultimate present for me. It is an oddball / it has a full size but width but a half size scale. The strings are shot and I will change them but it plays and sounds really good for the size. It has a solid spruce top which helps I'm sure. And a very comfy neck - it is a good travel guitar.

And last,

So I can do all the loops.

I am pretty happy and probably shouldn't buy anything ever now but this is what getting separated does - no checks and balances so all the money goes into music poo poo.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to use it as an amp stand so it counts as new music gear purchase even though I got it for free.
It's a vintage Tektronix oscilloscope stand and it rules.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well I think I have found my amp, it literally does not matter what the knobs are on, it sounds loving glorious. Rehearsal this week then a small gig on Fri to test it properly but so far, oh man it's perfect.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Well I think I have found my amp, it literally does not matter what the knobs are on, it sounds loving glorious. Rehearsal this week then a small gig on Fri to test it properly but so far, oh man it's perfect.

Jealous.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Picked this up for a song locally. Traynor YCV40 modded with Celestion G12H-100 speaker. Sounds awesome but man, the noise from my Tele is killing me (been spoiled with built in noise gate in my current amp) so going to look into a noise gate to keep it in check.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Wanna hear that. Great pic.

So, I've been bitching and moaning and posting audio clips of my amp mod project and not being happy with the recordings, etc. The main issue was the lack of reference monitors so I can get an accurate EQ/mix so that you will hear what I hear when recording.

Well, I've finally placed an order to solve this problem. After looking at consumer-grade monitors (something I can afford) I finally picked out monitors that I think will help me with my recordings:

A pair of Mackie CR5BT Powered Studio Monitors. They have pretty good reviews and I have a long-standing trust of Mackie (though it may not be deserved today, I don't know) and I should have them Wednesday.

So: No recording this weekend. I look forward to working my recording process with something at least approaching reference-level monitors. I think that will remove a lot of uncertainty about my recording workflow and results. Fingers crossed. This has been a long time coming and I fear I should have really saved up for a much more expensive set of monitors, like the Yamahas that I see everywhere. I'm not that patient, though; and I think it's pretty clear I'm kinda impulsive.

I think they look somewhat ridiculous with the green accents, but feature/spec-wise they seem to be a decent investment.

Here's a stock picture to hold over until I take delivery:

I'm just going to assume they work with my Xbox-One or Xbox controllers somehow. Microsoft XBox-Tone.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My wife and mother surprised me with a gift that's supposed to cover the next half decade of birthdays and Father's Days.

1967-1969 Hagstrom H8 bass.

One of 2200 produced. It's only strung as a 4 currently. Was owned by a local music store owner before he died.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Your family got you a haunted bass.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Bought a cheap Mexican Fender LH Strat in Lake Placid Blue:

(stock photo)
Should get here Wed/Thurs.
Will be doing some mods to it, shortly thereafter:
pop in a Duncan JB (black open coil) in bridge position
replace wiring and pots
switch stock knobs for Tele style chrome knobs
replace pickguard with HSS routed pickguard (white pearloid) from Warmoth
GOOD TIMES

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Got a fully modded Moisturizer coming next week. Not my pic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Picked this up for a song locally. Traynor YCV40 modded with Celestion G12H-100 speaker. Sounds awesome but man, the noise from my Tele is killing me (been spoiled with built in noise gate in my current amp) so going to look into a noise gate to keep it in check.

How much noise are we talking about? I haven't met a properly installed, properly-wound single coil that bothered me that much even with high gain pedals.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Got a fully modded Moisturizer coming next week. Not my pic.

That's awesome. You using it for shoegaze, surf, indie rock?

I needed an inexpensive reverb pedal so I got:

One of the only reverb pedals that has the "drip", the plunky sound at the end of the notes that springs give.

Because my new amp doesn't have reverb:

Marshall tube crunch, in an apartment appropriate size.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

That's awesome. You using it for shoegaze, surf, indie rock?

Dime-a-dozen talentless noisey crap.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah so shoegaze then.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

I needed an inexpensive reverb pedal so I got:

One of the only reverb pedals that has the "drip", the plunky sound at the end of the notes that springs give.

I always assumed that was an amp modeling pedal. Huh. Weird.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I always assumed that was an amp modeling pedal. Huh. Weird.

It definitely looks like it, but its a model of this:

The box of reverb springs with a tube driven circuit.

Might buy the reissue model tomorrow from a guy whos selling it for a good price.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

umalt posted:

Ah so shoegaze then.

This works equally well for the music I like: sludge/stoner/doom/drone/etc./zzzz/yawn/lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought a couple of used Digitech pedals (The Digichorus and Digiverb) for cheap recently, but I'm not really a fan. They're not true bypass so my guitar tone is noticably different even when they're off.

On the other hand, I bought a Joyo Analog Delay, which is really an analog-voiced digital pedal (kind of replicating an MXR Carbon Copy from what I understand) and it sounds fantastic.

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 20, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

I bought a couple of used Digitech pedals (The Digichorus and Digiverb) for cheap recently, but I'm not really a fan. They're not true bypass so my guitar tone is noticably different even when they're off.

On the other hand, I bought a Joyo Analog Delay, which is really an analog-voiced digital pedal (kind of replicating an MXR Carbon Copy from what I understand) and it sounds fantastic.
Yeah, most of the old Digitech/DOD pedals will leech a bit of your tone if you chain too many together. When I was a kid, EVERYBODY wanted the DOD/Digitech pedals, for some reason. Eventually, we started buying Boss/Roland poo poo instead. I'm old.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I still have an og DOD Deathmetal that I'll hook up occasionally for shits and giggles. I have to be pretty committed when plugging it in since of course the footswitch is broken and it's incapable of being turned off.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How much noise are we talking about? I haven't met a properly installed, properly-wound single coil that bothered me that much even with high gain pedals.

It's an American Standard tele so I'd like to imagine the pickups are done right. It's a fair amount of noise that can magically disappear if you stand in the exact right spot facing a certain direction, so it's crap the pickups are, well, picking up. Rolling off the volume reduces it significantly. Seems like a fairly clear cut case for a noise gate.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thumposaurus posted:

I still have an og DOD Deathmetal that I'll hook up occasionally for shits and giggles. I have to be pretty committed when plugging it in since of course the footswitch is broken and it's incapable of being turned off.

if you ever get into harsh noise the old dod death metal is like 75% of your sound

they're really awesome when you crank all the knobs to where it starts self-oscillating and run a drum machine through it

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've run a theremin and keyboard through it before to great joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Oh man, the DOD footswitches ALWAYS broke. Such pieces of poo poo.

Oh, that said, I bought a classic pedal today.

Even though they aren't true bypass or as cool as handpainted made in the USA boutique pedals, I still like Boss.
This one is to replace an original orange DS-1 I lost years ago.