Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Inspector Hound posted:

I just watched Little Shop of Horrors for the first time since I was a little kid, and this is a loving awesome movie. My wife told me she had never seen it so I was going to just zoom through to my favorite number, but then I realized they're almost all perfect. Did they...touch up the plant's lip syncing with CGI?

Nope, they filmed every scene with the plant at super slow motion (12 to 16 FPS) so that they could sync the lips perfectly. Every scene involving an actor singing with the plant is actually them mouthing in slow motion, sped up to the normal 24FPS.

That movie is a God drat masterpiece.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Nope, they filmed every scene with the plant at super slow motion (12 to 16 FPS) so that they could sync the lips perfectly. Every scene involving an actor singing with the plant is actually them mouthing in slow motion, sped up to the normal 24FPS.

That movie is a God drat masterpiece.

This is seriously the best practical puppet effect I've ever seen, it stands up better than some of the things people wave around as awesome and timeless (The Thing keeps coming to mind, maybe because of all the absolutely ridiculous tentacle work, like Audrey II picking up the phone). The little plants popping up as backup singers in the last number move as fast as cartoons and their timing is spot on. This is also one of the few times my idealized memory of a movie has been completely lived up to upon rewatching as a jaded adult. Every Audrey number is completely heart-wrenching and hilarious and cruel at the same time. I definitely did not understand the last dentist scene when I was a kid, and couldn't stop laughing.

Honestly what blew me away first though was the perfect choreography and framing of every second from the first number on, even before the "ok pause it so I can Google this has to have been special editioned" moments I kept having from every Audrey II scene.

Also Christopher Guest was the fascinated customer?!?

e Its on Hulu, which has a pretty banging movie collection from time to time

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 13, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Does Hulu have the special edition with the original ending? Because that has the absolute best puppet work ever put to screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjFvcw6ToQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Drop what you're doing and watch Art and Craft on Prime. Funny, heart breaking, beautiful documentary about art forger Mark Landis.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

GonSmithe posted:

Does Hulu have the special edition with the original ending? Because that has the absolute best puppet work ever put to screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjFvcw6ToQ

I feel like the puppetry in the original ending feels phoned in. It's just big plant heads pushing through brick facades and laughing. There's none of the amazing lip synching or intricate vine work that's on display through the rest of the film. Also the song in the original ending is pretty bad and occasionally sounds like it's cribbing from "My Sharona."

It's still better than the theatrical ending though.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Narcos a beautiful filmed show and created on the tru life and happenings of pablo escobar.
I. Know much people in columbia criticize this show because the glorification of an drug baron but I really liked to watched it.
Sadly I have to say the make to much progress especially in the first season so that we only have to see 2 seasons which each has 10 episodes.
But if you see Wagner Moura as Pablo Escobar you will love it. The only critic I have is the too much progress but with a bit luck we get a 3th season without pablo but with all of them that follow the way to become a drug lord.

The show is brutal, drugy and you become a close inside view of the private life of ecobar and how he create  the first drug empire in the world history. By the way you see a lot of the beauty columbian landscape.

Political drug thriller with much violence, don't miss this show.

And yes sometimes the real facts of the show let you laughing out loud and rolling on the floor for fun what this guy did in his lifetime and with the poo poo came through. But I don't want spoil watch for your self 😋

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm not sure when it was added but I just finished Season 1 of Inside No. 9 on Hulu. It's a dark comedy series by Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith, who I mostly know from League of Gentlemen. It is unlike LoG in that it isn't stories in a common setting with regular characters, but it has the same super dark comedy. There's apparently 2 more seasons not available in the US yet, but can't wait for them to be available. The first season was fantastic.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh, Hello is on Netflix, a taping of a Broadway play. I think it's best that you don't read up on it and just watch it. It's a thing of beauty.

Nick Kroll and John Mulaney as two deeply terrible elderly actor/writers putting on a hilarious disaster of a play. It's amazing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Teddybear posted:

Oh, Hello is on Netflix, a taping of a Broadway play. I think it's best that you don't read up on it and just watch it. It's a thing of beauty.

Nick Kroll and John Mulaney as two deeply terrible elderly actor/writers putting on a hilarious disaster of a play. It's amazing.

Wasn't this a recurring bit on the Kroll Show?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yes it was. I have no idea why they made a broadway play out of it but it's pretty funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teddybear posted:

Yup I literally just came here to recommend this. It's really, really funny.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm 15 minutes in. Is it entirely a stand up double act or do they ever actually do anything

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm 15 minutes in. Is it entirely a stand up double act or do they ever actually do anything

Keep with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Casting Jonbenet on Netflix is a little too exploitative and cringey for me, but the "private security" guy who also teaches people how to do bondage is incredible. I thought for sure that he was going to reveal that his "security firm" was really a stripper agency and start dancing and tearing off his fake-looking "police" uniform.

Instead it bothers me that a guy who's really into breast torture has a day job that involves chasing and imprisoning people.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm ten minutes in and hoping this gets funnier than "we're two old washed up white guys from New York!!!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm ten minutes in and hoping this gets funnier than "we're two old washed up white guys from New York!!!"

I mean, yes, they keep being the same characters for the whole show, but it gets... it goes places. But if you don't like the characters at all, you may not like it.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They mispronounce a bunch of stuff, also. So look forward to that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is Shimmer Lake on Netflix any good? I'm pretty burnt out on backwards timelines in shows ever since George Costanza's marriage caused it to become a popular trope.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My wife and I turned it off about 30 min in. I just couldn't get into it despite the occasional chuckle.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coyo7e posted:

Is Shimmer Lake on Netflix any good? I'm pretty burnt out on backwards timelines in shows ever since George Costanza's marriage caused it to become a popular trope.

Meh, it's fine.

Seems like they meant it to be funnier than it turned out to be.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Meh, it's fine.

Seems like they meant it to be funnier than it turned out to be.

Same here. I watched it the other night and wasn't wowed by it nor was I upset I wasted my time on it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I didn't know the characters from Oh, Hello and the start was pretty slow but when they actually started their play it was pretty good. It had a lot of theatre meta stuff that probably doesn't work if the audience doesn't know much about theatre.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Teddybear posted:

Thx. I'll watch anything Mulaney despite/because gently caress him for doing anything other than working on a new standup special.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

It's good. There's a lot of little things to like, especially the very dry humor. Not great but worth a watch.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Rewatching The Office and I don't remember hating Jim and Pam this much the first time I saw it. Their relationship is so lazily written, it just feels like the writers are yanking on every cheap string they can to churn out this overly maudlin crap. I've started fast forwarding whenever they have a scene.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Repeat viewings of the Office allow people to realize that Jim is the ultimate "nothing is worthy, everything is beneath me" type of rear end in a top hat, and Jim and Pam were actively trying to become the most boring, milquetoast, 50's throwback nuclear-family possible.

Dwight was just a nerd with some weird ideas, Jim was actively a piece of poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Repeat viewings of the Office allow people to realize that Jim is the ultimate "nothing is worthy, everything is beneath me" type of rear end in a top hat, and Jim and Pam were actively trying to become the most boring, milquetoast, 50's throwback nuclear-family possible.

Dwight was just a nerd with some weird ideas, Jim was actively a piece of poo poo.

Hint: there are no good people in The Office.

I don't know why you ever thought there were?

If you want to see a positive work environment with likable people Parks and Rec is that way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I really wanted Jim and Pam to get in a car accident in season 9 and lose the baby or something. ANYTHING. There was nothing interesting about them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pander posted:

I don't know why you ever thought there were?

If you want to see a positive work environment with likable people Parks and Rec is that way.

Kevin was pretty good

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kevin was great because he never let on how smart he really was, embezzled millions over his career by pretending to be too stupid to count and used the money to fund his dream dive bar

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The red haired lady was pretty good too because she liked to party hard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pander posted:

Robert California did nothing wrong

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You guys forget Creed. Creed was good. Creed was the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

enigmahfc posted:

Well I mean other than being a serial killer and master thief.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

"The last guy who messed with me disappeared. His name? Creed Bratton"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is to The Office's credit that they never did a whole "Creed episode" or whatever, you know most network comedies would have gone to that well eventually.

Plus it ended on such an amazing high note, beaten only by Parks and Rec's finale in the world of notoriously dire modern sitcom endings.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Medullah posted:

This only reinforces his "best" status.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My wife works with a real life Creed. The stories are endless. Guy has a wife in the Philippines that he sees once a year for a week vacation then comes home and doesn't see her for another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I really wanted Jim and Pam to get in a car accident in season 9 and lose the baby or something. ANYTHING. There was nothing interesting about them

I actually thought becoming boring was a good and natural character arc. Even replacing Pam with a younger, prettier Pam after she got pregnant. It reminded me of Sam Malone's arc at the end of Cheers, except Sam was more introspective.