Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'all were( largely right), I got the first 'you see some undead acting sort of strange' warning around D175.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Can't let this slide

FTL was a really fun game that gave you a great content-filled FREE Dlc. They also moved on to this http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/Into_the_Breach/

They should have made additional DLC or an expansion. Not sure how you could misconstrue "not enough content" but hey.

Also gently caress not-advance-wars the PC game

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

Curious Expedition goes for :10bux: right now at GOG.

The most curious thing about the curious expedition is somehow finding it in you to play again with a slightly different explorer after beating the game once.

Tias
May 25, 2008

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The most curious thing about the curious expedition is somehow finding it in you to play again with a slightly different explorer after beating the game once.

Hard to get all the cheevos in the first go, for one thing. Also, there are wildly different playstyles that can all win you the game, and each is pretty entertaining in its own right.

Tias fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 19, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm trying out something new for my 1.1 playthrough and just assaulting every lair that I can feasibly take on while also hunting for uniques from day 1 on.

It's day 10 and I've got 3 uniques already.

They're all shields.

e: 4 at day 13. RIP starting axe bro, you were good but not 267/-26 armor good.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

This is a good game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

and they say Germans have no sense of humour. meanwhile these guys are cracking wise in their second (or third) language

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anyone else free the Melon Mugger and have him join your crew? This game is amazing.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Ended up naming my warband The Fools, from the old saying 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread,' plus it's pretty much one of the good self-deprecating names you'd see with plucky band of heroes or whatnot.

Used a seed given in the thread with iron lung on axebro and shieldbro, Veteran combat, Beginner Economy, so far its pretty great!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really glad they did the difficulty split-up before they declared they'd finished the game, it's a pretty great idea.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, I ran into my first necrosavants.

:negative:

Worst. Enemy. Ever.

I can deal with the teleporting, even the heal, even the nine-lives shtick.

But those suckers are hard as hell to actually hit in the first place. I just couldn't hit them enough to take them down without losing some stuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Some stuff:" the experienced mercenary captain's term for human lives.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BenRGamer posted:

Worst. Enemy. Ever.
Welcome to the fold, brother. :unsmigghh:

Unrelated: That sure is a place to build a loving fort in, alright.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I just recruited a horse fucker.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Battle Brothers: I Just Recruited A Horse Fucker

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

metasynthetic posted:

I just recruited a horse fucker.

Well? Is he any good?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

BenRGamer posted:

Worst. Enemy. Ever.

I can deal with the teleporting, even the heal, even the nine-lives shtick.

But those suckers are hard as hell to actually hit in the first place. I just couldn't hit them enough to take them down without losing some stuff.

You'll have fun when facing nimble+overwhelm mercenaries and noble soldiers. But that's what nets are for, right? It's still better than the RNG for heavy crossbow+crossbow mastery enemies (arbalesters and goblin overlords). It feels like steel brow exists solely because of these enemies.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Well? Is he any good?

The game doesn't actually have horses so we'll probably never know

Caros
May 14, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Battle Brothers: I Just Recruited A Horse Fucker

Mike Pence?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Clark Nova posted:

The game doesn't actually have horses so we'll probably never know

:vince:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just recruited a melon fucker. He's pretty good!

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

ditty bout my clitty posted:

They should have made additional DLC or an expansion. Not sure how you could misconstrue "not enough content" but hey.

Also gently caress not-advance-wars the PC game

This is pointless drivel, you haven't played the game they started making after giving you a free DLC for FTL and are already de-crying it. Stupid, uninformed, entitled opinions seem to be your gimmick.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
For gently caress's sake, game, if you absolutely have to make me attack a brigand fort in the swamp and spawn 6 marksmen for a rumored unique weapon, at least don't make it throwing axes.

Tias posted:

Anyone else free the Melon Mugger and have him join your crew? This game is amazing.
Never even heard of that, is that a new event?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Do wandering parties of undead count towards solving the Undead Scourge? I'm getting well tired of butting heads with roving bands of ancient guards!

In related news, holy hell warscythes are a thing of beauty :swoon:

Wizard Styles posted:

For gently caress's sake, game, if you absolutely have to make me attack a brigand fort in the swamp and spawn 6 marksmen for a rumored unique weapon, at least don't make it throwing axes.

Never even heard of that, is that a new event?

I think so. I dare not spoil it, let's just say that if you run into a group of people ready to lynch a man for unnatural proclivities, try and save him :3:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Well, I just ran into goblin wolfriders for the first time. Nine of them.

Kinda hate things that just 'refuse to be hit'

Lost five guys in my first attempt just because none of them would actually land any hits.

I think I'm just gonna start carrying like half a dozen spears in case I run into anything like that again.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tias posted:

Do wandering parties of undead count towards solving the Undead Scourge? I'm getting well tired of butting heads with roving bands of ancient guards!

I think so. I dare not spoil it, let's just say that if you run into a group of people ready to lynch a man for unnatural proclivities, try and save him :3:

Any undead thing counts. Forts, roamers etc.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks!

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I just ran into goblin wolfriders for the first time. Nine of them.

Kinda hate things that just 'refuse to be hit'

Lost five guys in my first attempt just because none of them would actually land any hits.

I think I'm just gonna start carrying like half a dozen spears in case I run into anything like that again.

You'll want to wait till your guys pack serious armour and have above average statlines till you gently caress with wolfriders. They are extremely lethal if they can exploit an opening.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just got the melon event. I wasn't even in the market for a new brother but, well, now it's +1 for the team.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Like most situations in this game, the solution to wolf riders is greatswords plus berserk.

If you are struggling hitting things though, be sure to abuse the flanking bonus. Move as many people around an enemy as you can (even if they end up with no action points to attack) before attacking - move and then delay actions until they're as surrounded as you can get them. You may consider getting backstabber on early brothers with garbage stats as well to help with this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

This is pointless drivel, you haven't played the game they started making after giving you a free DLC for FTL and are already de-crying it. Stupid, uninformed, entitled opinions seem to be your gimmick.

neither the game nor that poster are worth this level of effort

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Tias posted:

Thanks!

You'll want to wait till your guys pack serious armour and have above average statlines till you gently caress with wolfriders. They are extremely lethal if they can exploit an opening.

Everyone on the front line had Hauberks/Nasal Helmets/Kite Shields/Tier 3 Flails or better, save for the two handers who had a greatsword and warbrand, respectively.

Like I said, just couldn't actually hit them to take them down and they just wore my guys down

Second time I didn't lose anybody. Mostly because I equipped as many spears as I could. It's odd, all of my front line has 60 melee skill or better, but it was mostly coin flips for hit chance, I kept losing those ~50% chances, though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Do you field enough archers and pikes, then? I mean, one or two retreating is usual, but it seems odd that all of them could just give you the slip like that.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Tias posted:

Do you field enough archers and pikes, then? I mean, one or two retreating is usual, but it seems odd that all of them could just give you the slip like that.

Two archers with hunting bows, leather lamellar, and ancient helmets, and the only pikeman is the standard bearer, with hauberk/nasal helmet.

Wasn't them retreating, just them dodging everything long enough to deal enough damage to kill my guys. Might just have been a run of terrible luck, but I had similar issues facing the Necrosavants.

Do not like that if I kill the goblin the wolves got an immediate extra turn, either >_>

Edit: Outside of Direwolf gear, what's the best lightweight armor to throw on my archers with nimble?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 20, 2017

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Coolguye posted:

neither the game nor that poster are worth this level of effort

Yea I agree, was triggered because I could not possible disagree more w/ that person's opinion. I loved FTL, it was a total refreshing surprise of a game and the free dlc was something I appreciated and wish more ppl would imitate.

I feel the similar about Battle Bros, which is why I kept posting.

Cheers Battle Brothers, you were a nice, weird distraction for a time.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

BenRGamer posted:

Two archers with hunting bows, leather lamellar, and ancient helmets, and the only pikeman is the standard bearer, with hauberk/nasal helmet.

Wasn't them retreating, just them dodging everything long enough to deal enough damage to kill my guys. Might just have been a run of terrible luck, but I had similar issues facing the Necrosavants.

Do not like that if I kill the goblin the wolves got an immediate extra turn, either >_>

Edit: Outside of Direwolf gear, what's the best lightweight armor to throw on my archers with nimble?

60-65 melee in your front line is too low to be facing off against wolfriders or necrosavs with any hope of no losses. You really have to dogpile them to have any hope of reliably hitting with stats that low.

Nimble is not good enough (anymore) to warrant scrimping on armor to save a little fatigue. I actually never bother with it on archers anymore as dodge, anticipation, and steel brow are better protection against crossbow 1 shots and other ranged dicks. That said, there are some armors that provide lower fatigue penalties for minimal losses in durability. The two best early/mid game are Blotched Gambeson 70/-5 and Patched Mail 90/-8. If you don't ever get the raiders-disguised-as-wolves event for the direwolf mail then you can get by just fine with the 150/-18 mail. Honestly, the best way to protect your archers is to refine your tactics and movement when you fight necrosavs and riders. If you're doing that right, you don't have to worry about them being hit in melee.

I do usually make a nimble dude or two as a novelty and to use up some of the lower durability/fatigue unique armors I end up with, but they're typically duelists with obscene melee defense, initiative, and don't get used during ranged fights. They are also in no way as useful as tin cans with 300+ durability hats and body armors, brawny, and battle-forged.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tias posted:

Polearm mastery needs to be patched because of this. If you have warscythes, polearm mastery is amazing. +5% to hit, and -25% fatigue for one of the best AOE attacks in the game? Yes, please! But it's total trash on warscythe-lacking peasants. Hook is terrible, Repel doesn't work on the one enemy you want it most for (Orc Warriors), and you can only attack once for 15 fatigue/turn anyway. You'll pretty much never run short of fatigue on a polearm-bro unless you have a warscythe, so why get polearm mastery?

BenRGamer posted:

By the time you hit Necrosavants, you'll want 70+ melee accuracy on one-hander bros without swords or spears, and 75+ melee accuracy on two-hander bros in general. Pretty much every two-hander bro should hit 80+ melee accuracy by level 11.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

golden bubble posted:

Polearm mastery needs to be patched because of this. If you have warscythes, polearm mastery is amazing. +5% to hit, and -25% fatigue for one of the best AOE attacks in the game? Yes, please! But it's total trash on warscythe-lacking peasants. Hook is terrible, Repel doesn't work on the one enemy you want it most for (Orc Warriors), and you can only attack once for 15 fatigue/turn anyway. You'll pretty much never run short of fatigue on a polearm-bro unless you have a warscythe, so why get polearm mastery?

By the time you hit Necrosavants, you'll want 70+ melee accuracy on one-hander bros without swords or spears, and 75+ melee accuracy on two-hander bros in general. Pretty much every two-hander bro should hit 80+ melee accuracy by level 11.

Eh, still around level 6-7 or so on my guys so far.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

aparmenideanmonad posted:

60-65 melee in your front line is too low to be facing off against wolfriders or necrosavs with any hope of no losses. You really have to dogpile them to have any hope of reliably hitting with stats that low.

Nimble is not good enough (anymore) to warrant scrimping on armor to save a little fatigue. I actually never bother with it on archers anymore as dodge, anticipation, and steel brow are better protection against crossbow 1 shots and other ranged dicks. That said, there are some armors that provide lower fatigue penalties for minimal losses in durability. The two best early/mid game are Blotched Gambeson 70/-5 and Patched Mail 90/-8. If you don't ever get the raiders-disguised-as-wolves event for the direwolf mail then you can get by just fine with the 150/-18 mail. Honestly, the best way to protect your archers is to refine your tactics and movement when you fight necrosavs and riders. If you're doing that right, you don't have to worry about them being hit in melee.

I do usually make a nimble dude or two as a novelty and to use up some of the lower durability/fatigue unique armors I end up with, but they're typically duelists with obscene melee defense, initiative, and don't get used during ranged fights. They are also in no way as useful as tin cans with 300+ durability hats and body armors, brawny, and battle-forged.

:O what did they do to nimble?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

:O what did they do to nimble?
It's been a chance for any successful attack to do 50% damage for awhile instead of the old better version which was a chance to re-roll any failed defense check. The old version made a nearly naked bro nigh-unhittable as long as you stacked enough defense/dodge+initiative/etc. The new version will get you killed super fast late game if you try to build for less than 20 fatigue or so. You WILL be getting hit and that <100 durability stuff will get quickly wrecked, even if you luck out on rolls and are only getting hit for half.

Hence, I really only use it on dagger/sword duelists with overwhelm late in the game - no weapon or shield encumbrance lets you wear enough armor to disengage if you eat a couple of lucky hits.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Man, late-game strongholds are something else. When not on mission, I'm looking at ruins that either hold 5+ marksmen AND hedge knights or two leaders, OR 15 armoured weidergängers, 4 fallen knights and 5 geists :stare:

Since I lost a lot of my lvl 12s in the last crisis, I just can't handle either. Any tips, or must I just grind easy missions till I get there?