Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

A miter saw is never a bad decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

coathat posted:

A miter saw is never a bad decision.

I mean, if you got the money, right?

Speaking of, I just got a pretty good deal on a lightly used Bosch 4212L from Craigslist. Only $100. It's missing a couple set screws, but I can easily get replacements.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

24" bessey bar clamps, usually $24, have been on sale at Home Depot for $13 for a while now. Well, today they're clearing out any remaining stock and are marking them down to $6 and change. I cleaned out two HDs this morning, the third was already empty. They hadn't even put the stickers up at all of them yet. The sale price doesn't appear online, it only shows up in the store. Go get 'em!

This is the actual clamp, it's NOT the clutch style: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-TG-Series-24-in-Bar-Clamp-with-Wood-Handle-and-4-in-Throat-Depth-TG4-024/204986221

Thanks for the heads up. I went to HD and they were sold out already... and so were the 12 other nearest stores within 30 miles. LOL ah well, next time

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I got my first Dremel (a 200) from a pawn shop the other day for $5. I already ordered a 110 piece general purpose accessory kit, but just realized that the tool didn't come with any collets.

Just to be totally sure- this keyless chuck totally eliminates the need for collets- correct? Is there any reason to buy a set of collets instead of the keyless chuck?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yes that thing is great. I don't think you'll need collets for anything wth that.
Get a diamond cut off wheel it is way better than the fiberglass ones and won't explode in your face like they do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rock My Socks! posted:

I got my first Dremel (a 200) from a pawn shop the other day for $5. I already ordered a 110 piece general purpose accessory kit, but just realized that the tool didn't come with any collets.

Just to be totally sure- this keyless chuck totally eliminates the need for collets- correct? Is there any reason to buy a set of collets instead of the keyless chuck?

When I got one of those huge 500+ piece Dremel kits it came with a little baggie of all the different collet sizes. Your kit may come with them too. Though that keyless chuck sounds like the better option overall anyway.

If you are thinking about getting one the flex shafts for your Dremel do not buy the name brand one. Its way over priced! Get this WEN knock-off kit, the whole package is cheaper than the Dremel brand flex shaft, and it comes with a backup Dremel!
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Shaft/dp/B003BYRFH8/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought that kit for my wife years ago, it's lasted longer than either of the name brand rotary tools I owned before and the flex shaft makes so many more jobs actually feasible

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Years ago, Cabela's gave me something like $100 off my first purchase over $500* for opening a credit card with them. Any big box stores selling appliances and/or lawnmowers doing anything like that this summer? Gonna need a fridge and a lawnmower before August and I'm looking for all the discounts I can get. Don't care about interest or financing, but knocking down the purchase price would help.

E: *cabela's cc deal

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 20, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Years ago, Cabela's gave me something like $100 off my first purchase over $500* for opening a credit card with them. Any big box stores selling appliances and/or lawnmowers doing anything like that this summer? Gonna need a fridge and a lawnmower before August and I'm looking for all the discounts I can get. Don't care about interest or financing, but knocking down the purchase price would help.

lowe's offers 5% off everyday on everything with a lowes cc and sometimes offers a 10% off promo

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieWhiskey posted:

You can usually get a 10% coupon for Home Depot and a couple others by going to the post office and say you're moving/asking for a movers package. Sometimes they are hardos and don't want to give it to you but 9'times out of 10 they just give you one.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I just opened a Home Depot card, and if I remember correctly, they gave me an instant $50 off my >$100 purchase plus coupons for $25 off >$200 and $100 off >$1000. I can't find any links online, so you may need to ask in-store.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
If any of you still need the Home Depot Milwaukee deal, I just bought a kit from here and it went through:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...1210757&cj=true

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Thanks y'all on the HD discount tips. I'll go walk in and see what the latest offer is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon is price matching Walmart on a Wen 6-inch Bench Grinder for $27.58

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPFIPQ0/

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Amazon is price matching Walmart on a Wen 6-inch Bench Grinder for $27.58

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPFIPQ0/

And Amazon's stock is sold out. Up to $44 from third party sellers...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm confused, if they're price matching Walmart, can't you just get it at Walmart?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Wal-Mart doesn't make things show up at my doorstep 48 hours later...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I'm confused, if they're price matching Walmart, can't you just get it at Walmart?

Walmart had it for $27 only with in-store pickup.

Sold out in both places though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If you need a small, pancake compressor, Amazon has a Bostich on sale for $99
https://smile.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTFP02012-WPK-6-Gallon-Oil-Free-Compressor/dp/B06Y2LQ5QJ

Comes with a 50' hose and a small accessory pack for inflating various tires, tubes, and toys.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Okay but how well does it compress pancakes?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I do need a compressor. But I want it to be quiet. Ugh money

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I do need a compressor. But I want it to be quiet. Ugh money

California Air Tools has some smaller ones that are way quieter

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Falco posted:

California Air Tools has some smaller ones that are way quieter

2nded, they cost slightly more, but sound like an old fridge running, vs. a paint shaker full of free weights.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We just finished doing a full gut and rebuild of a 60 year old house and I can't recommend a tool more than my Dewalt oscillating multi tool. If you don't know what you are doing it's your best friend.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flashman posted:

We just finished doing a full gut and rebuild of a 60 year old house and I can't recommend a tool more than my Dewalt oscillating multi tool. If you don't know what you are doing it's your best friend.

Those things are really useful just make sure you buy good blades, I like the Bosch carbide ones

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

flashman posted:

If that was the only tool you used throughout the renovation, I would watch that show.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

If that was the only tool you used throughout the renovation, I would watch that show.

I don't own a recip saw so you are closer to the truth than is comfortable to admit....

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Oscillating tools are just fantastic. They are just magical for plunge cuts

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ColdPie posted:

Okay but how well does it compress pancakes?
...and can you put it on a bunny's head?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A guy is selling a mitremite vn4 near me for a few hundred bucks, I'm thinking about grabbing it. It's a niche application, but the price is right. Looking for a sanity check or something here, I guess.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/art/6214400092.html

It looks like a slightly older iteration of the machine, but that doesn't bother me, for this sort of thing that usually just means they put a more modern font on the label. Thoughts?

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
Post had been deleted.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I ended up buying it. Worst-case scenario, I attempt to flip it, but I think I'll sit on it for a while first and see if I get any use out of it. Got a bunch of framing stock and a sweet little mortiser with a handful of bits as well.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Just grabbed this off a listing for $25. Pretty stoked, seems like it has great reviews. Makita 5277NB

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That's a screaming deal. I have a very similar Makita, and it's a beast.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Just grabbed this off a listing for $25. Pretty stoked, seems like it has great reviews. Makita 5277NB

You son of a bitch. I bought one that was a display model 30 years ago to build a monster deck with. It had the reverse windings brake, which Milwaukee didn't bother with, and some other great feature, so I was done with Buy Amerkin. I've still got it. Probably needs brushes, but it still cuts.

edit- also that saw is perfect for you righties who just can't get a left hand cut going with a typical circular saw.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I don't know if there's a thread specifically dedicated to grills, but I figured this may be the best closest place for it:

I need a new grill. It needs to feed a family of 6. I have a budget of ~$300.

Recommendations?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
For only $300, you're just going to get something that will rust out too quickly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I don't know if there's a thread specifically dedicated to grills, but I figured this may be the best closest place for it:

Recommendations?

Buy a blow torch, an angle grinder, and a steel drum.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Recommendations?

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-gas-grill/

Their budget pick seems decent and it's only $220.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Recommendations?

Buy a Weber off of Craigslist.