Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Just lol if you think a legit human Naomi Watts would have a name like Janey-e and, despite being intelligent and strong willed and basically capable of anything would marry a schlub like Dougie Jones who apparently even in his normal routine is so weird that his current behavior doesn't set off any alarms.

Like, what was their courtship like? Why did she, of her own free will, fall for this scrub? That's not what a strong, well written female role would do, it's what a niceguy's idealized woman does.

This is the same show that had a one eyed woman gain super-strength and almost marry a high schooler until a weight bag falls on her head Wile E. Coyote-style, a woman getting premonitions from a log after her husband dies and leaves behind a jar of oil, Shaggy from Scooby-Doo arrested for murder after dreaming he was in an apartment, a dwarf hitman was taken out from a man-child getting advice from a tree brain.

Sure, out of context or compared to the real world, it's very silly and strange. This show works on internal logic, and fate seems to bend around the good will of the main character, Coop.

As for the names Janey E., that's not super weird either. It's like Susie Q. The writers have also written characters called The Man From The Other Planet, The Cowboy, Mystery Man, etc.

And, uh, yeah. There are plenty of strong-willed intelligent women who marry beneath themselves, especially previous generations. Money/stability, the marriage started good but became bad but now they're raising their adopted son (?) together, Dougie suffered from a mental illness and is why he's now prone to "episodes", maybe Janey E. has a Savior Complex. There's plenty to speculate on.

But if you think that a strong intelligent woman can't be in an unfulfilling marriage with a schlub, or that by being in such a relationship means she's not a strong/intelligent woman, let me introduce you to this depressing thing called Real Life.

Also, uh, Dale Cooper is a NiceGuy. That's literally what hosed him up in the Black Lodge.

edit: Unpopular opinion, and it's not intentional, but Season 3 has a big Thomas Pynchon vibe. The whole concept of mysteries loosely tied together, or at least seemingly tied together, but unable to be fully comprehended. Overwhelming conspiracies. Characters with weird names seemingly based on stereotypes, only to deconstruct that idea. Nonlinear seemingly loose structure that works together thematically. Tonal clashes, especially between suspense, horror, dark comedy, slice-of-life charm, slap-stick, etc.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

PantsBandit posted:

Man, I feel like BOB is one of the most revolting villains ever portrayed in media. If I think about all he's done to Coop, stealing his identity, assaulting his friends, imprisoning him for 25 years, it starts to make my stomach turn.

I know the concept of a "happy ending" is so far away from Lynch's priorities that you can see the curvature of the earth, but I really hope BOB gets what's coming to him.

Isn't BOB a kind of manifestation of human decadence? I don't think you can 'beat' him like a conventional villain. But publicly acknowledging his existince, bringing him out of shadows like Gordon et all are trying, would be a huge blow to his power.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So right I have no goddamn clue what's happening in this show but man am I digging the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGUboLZx3Tk

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Whoever had the office guy hire the little hitman is the same guy that owns the glass box, right?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

So right I have no goddamn clue what's happening in this show but man am I digging the music.

From last night's episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrO9ovdJ5WA

A personal favorite that I'm glad showed up. The name's a joke on Coop's situation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so dude from Mulholland Drive is Mr Todd, right? And he answers to someone else? Was it him that gave that little speech about how he wished he didn't work for who he worked for? I have to rewatch episode 1, I guess.

I get the feeling that they're hinting at some major bad guy, but this being an 18 hour movie, he hasn't really been mentioned for something like 5 hours now.

EDIT:

DizzyBum posted:

This is very Cocteau Twins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtBr5JKSuks

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Lycus posted:

Whoever had the office guy hire the little hitman is the same guy that owns the glass box, right?

Seems so. Also probably related with Bad Coop, late hip hop theme lady and her thugs.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im loving it but I should not have started it before rewatching the first 2 seasons. Im completely clueless

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is an 18 hour movie.

For context, Mulholland Drive is 2.5 hr movie that doesn't reveal "reality" until there's less than an hour left of film.

Lost Highway is 2 hrs 15 minutes and doesn't answer anything until the last...20 minutes?

My point is, if David Lynch has on multiple occassions waited to reveal things until the very end, he's probably going to be doing it here where he had 18 hours, full creative control, and an understanding that it's most likely the last narrative film he's directing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fados posted:

Seems so. Also probably related with Bad Coop, late hip hop theme lady and her thugs.

I'm assuming he's kinda like Windam Earle, except a billionaire instead of living in a shack. Maybe he wants something from Bad Coop.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

My point is, if David Lynch has on multiple occassions waited to reveal things until the very end, he's probably going to be doing it here where he had 18 hours, full creative control, and an understanding that it's most likely the last narrative film he's directing.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. Dude's only 71. He really doesn't seem the retiring type to me and Clint Eastwood has been pumping out a shitload of huge studio films well into his 80s.

Sure, he could just make furniture and meditate in his winter years but I'd call it a 50/50 chance we'll see another film or two out of him.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Man, I feel like BOB is one of the most revolting villains ever portrayed in media. If I think about all he's done to Coop, stealing his identity, assaulting his friends, imprisoning him for 25 years, it starts to make my stomach turn.

I know the concept of a "happy ending" is so far away from Lynch's priorities that you can see the curvature of the earth, but I really hope BOB gets what's coming to him.

Sorry if I'm being annoyingly pedantic but Cooper's doppelganger and BOB have been pretty firmly established to be distinct entities. The scene of them cackling together in the Lodge in the S2 finale and doppelCoop talking to BOB in the prison mirror implies that doppelCoop is evil enough by himself and BOB is just a passenger in a mutually beneficial arrangement.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

head58 posted:

I wonder if the Diane role was originally written to be Annie but changed when Heather Graham didn't want to do it.

Eh, Heather Graham has actually said that she would have been in the new season had she been asked. And it's not like Lynch needed an excuse to put Laura Dern in as a major(?) character.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I love that Diane is Laura Dern. Between that and all the leather jacketed criminal drug weirdos, this season feels almost as much a sequel to Blue Velvet as Twin Peaks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. Dude's only 71. He really doesn't seem the retiring type to me and Clint Eastwood has been pumping out a shitload of huge studio films well into his 80s.

Sure, he could just make furniture and meditate in his winter years but I'd call it a 50/50 chance we'll see another film or two out of him.

I highly doubt film. He's been on record for the last few years saying that he's completely done with film, he's tired of it and the Hollywood game, etc. He also gave up on his last film idea in favor of Twin Peaks S3. He also said he won't do any more Twin Peaks after this.

It's possible he'll do a limited run TV series, but I really just don't think anyone's going to give him what he wants for another, or if he even wants another. Showtime was willing to take the chance and give him what he wants, but if I remember correctly, TP was shopped around to quite a few distributors before Showtime won out. He talks poo poo about streaming services and binge-watching, so I don't see him wanting to do a Netflix show.

He's also said that he's enjoying the freedom to work on his paintings, music, music videos, TM, and his new music festival and art exhibits. So I think short films, animations, and music videos are still interesting to him, which is why I said "narrative".

But, yeah, I agree that he's completely capable, I just don't think he wants to after everything he's said.

Also, Clint Eastwood's a terrible example. Dude films like Roger Corman, doing things in 3 takes, usually under budget. He gets to make big Hollywood movies because they're usually super cheap and he's really fast and turning them over. Almost he complete opposite of Lynch. Now Ridley Scott says he's got, what, 5 more Alien movies he wants to film himself, and he's 79

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Before this series, it had been more than ten years since Lynch had released a major project. He has never been a super prolific director (by comparison Eastwood has directed eight feature films since Lynch last made one) and at times has expressed frustration with the film industry and suggested he does not feel inspired to make movies anymore.

quote:

"Things changed a lot," Lynch says. "So many films were not doing well at the box office even though they might have been great films and the things that were doing well at the box office weren't the things that I would want to do."

He is uncertain at first, but then appears to make up his mind: he has indeed made his last feature film. That's a yes? "Yes it is," he says.

Grain of salt obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if this his last big release.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Escobarbarian posted:

And man I didn't expect them to make Evil Coop as rapey as they have, seeing how this episode basically confirms he raped both Diane and comatose Audrey.

With regards to Diane, I read it very differently. She and Coop were obviously very close, and whatever the specifics of what happened between them the last time they saw each other, I thought it was a good memory for Diane, from before Coop left for Twin Peaks. That's why she reacted so harshly to Evil Coop, she recognized that he's not the same person. I think her anger and resentment towards all things Coop has more to do with how hard him vanishing must have been for her. If Evil Coop had paid her a visit 25 years ago I imagine most likely she would've told someone at the FBI (not a certainty, but presumably she didn't immediately quit and would've known they were looking for him). I also don't think she would emphasize to Gordon that something's missing in Evil Coop if she was sitting on 25 years of already knowing Evil Coop exists - at that point those bad memories would have maybe overtaken the good ones. She's holding on to the memory of Good/Real Coop, and that's why she was so shaken up.

I guess we'll find out when she has that talk with Gordon.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Franchescanado posted:

Also, Clint Eastwood's a terrible example. Dude films like Roger Corman, doing things in 3 takes, usually under budget. He gets to make big Hollywood movies because they're usually super cheap and he's really fast and turning them over. Almost he complete opposite of Lynch. Now Ridley Scott says he's got, what, 5 more Alien movies he wants to film himself, and he's 79

I mean, Ridley Scott is also a bad example because, despite seemingly working very hard on all his movies, most of them are dull and badly written.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

With regards to Diane, I read it very differently. She and Coop were obviously very close, and whatever the specifics of what happened between them the last time they saw each other, I thought it was a good memory for Diane, from before Coop left for Twin Peaks. That's why she reacted so harshly to Evil Coop, she recognized that he's not the same person. I think her anger and resentment towards all things Coop has more to do with how hard him vanishing must have been for her. If Evil Coop had paid her a visit 25 years ago I imagine most likely she would've told someone at the FBI (not a certainty, but presumably she didn't immediately quit and would've known they were looking for him). I also don't think she would emphasize to Gordon that something's missing in Evil Coop if she was sitting on 25 years of already knowing Evil Coop exists - at that point those bad memories would have maybe overtaken the good ones. She's holding on to the memory of Good/Real Coop, and that's why she was so shaken up.

Those are all great points. I figured evil Coop did something terrible to her before disappearing, but it did seem like Diane only took a minute to recognize that he wasn't the same person. So why wouldn't she have recognized it back then?

EDIT: on second thought... I don't know when that meeting could have taken place if that were the case. Cooper became evil at the end of his stay in Twin Peaks, and I don't think he was leaving and returning during the original series.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

skasion posted:

Before this series, it had been more than ten years since Lynch had released a major project. He has never been a super prolific director (by comparison Eastwood has directed eight feature films since Lynch last made one) and at times has expressed frustration with the film industry and suggested he does not feel inspired to make movies anymore.

Grain of salt obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if this his last big release.

Yeah I get all that but Showtime handed him a shitload of money and almost complete control over this whole thing, and I could easily picture Amazon and/or Netflix getting in line to do the same thing now that everyone's talking about Twin Peaks again. I didn't mean to imply he'd make another wide release studio film, that poo poo ain't happening even if he wants to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

I mean, Ridley Scott is also a bad example because, despite seemingly working very hard on all his movies, most of them are dull and badly written.

He's got some big, well-received movies: Alien, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Blade Runner, Gladiator, The Martian, Thelma & Louis, Legend, Hannibal, Matchstick Men, American Gangster, Black Hawk Down.

He's got some real clunkers. Robin Hood is one of the most boring films I've seen. To say that his movies are, as a whole, dull and badly written, the ones listed pretty much justify his career.

I'm not a huge Ridley Scott fan, I just can't think of any directors as old and with about a dozen movies in the works right now.

Also, my point was originally that Clint Eastwood gets to make movies because he makes fast cheap movies that Baby Boomers love.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Glare Seethe posted:

I wanted to make a post pretty much saying this, so :same:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah I get all that but Showtime handed him a shitload of money and almost complete control over this whole thing, and I could easily picture Amazon and/or Netflix getting in line to do the same thing now that everyone's talking about Twin Peaks again. I didn't mean to imply he'd make another wide release studio film, that poo poo ain't happening even if he wants to.

Well, yes and no. Lynch said he wanted 13-15 episodes. They told him he could get 8-10 episodes and about half(?) the proposed budget, and he told them to go gently caress themselves. Frost went with Lynch in solidarity. Twin Peaks fans let out a giant cry, Showtime scrambled, deals were made, and then it was announced we'd get 18 episodes and Lynch had full creative control. It was, what, a years worth of anticipation over if it was even going to happen?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

Well, yes and no. Lynch said he wanted 13-15 episodes. They told him he could get 8-10 episodes and about half(?) the proposed budget, and he told them to go gently caress themselves. Frost went with Lynch in solidarity. Twin Peaks fans let out a giant cry, Showtime scrambled, deals were made, and then it was announced we'd get 18 episodes and Lynch had full creative control. It was, what, a years worth of anticipation over if it was even going to happen?

Yeah it was a rocky start on arguably the wrong network, but if I were a streaming media company I would be reading this poo poo right here and yelling at someone to start shoveling money in David Lynch's direction.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah it was a rocky start on arguably the wrong network, but if I were a streaming media company I would be reading this poo poo right here and yelling at someone to start shoveling money in David Lynch's direction.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm honestly happier that it's a linear weekly show, though. It's the first show I've been able to watch each week, anticipate, speculate, and talk with my friends. My local theater shows episodes with home-made personal pies and coffee.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Just imagine if we got new Twin Peaks without Lynch/Frost, which apparently was the plan if Lynch fell through.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Theory: Dougie wears green because the only way Cooper will wake up is if Dougie smokes a fat one

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Franchescanado posted:

He's got some big, well-received movies: Alien, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Blade Runner, Gladiator, The Martian, Thelma & Louis, Legend, Hannibal, Matchstick Men, American Gangster, Black Hawk Down.

He's got some real clunkers. Robin Hood is one of the most boring films I've seen. To say that his movies are, as a whole, dull and badly written, the ones listed pretty much justify his career.

I'm not a huge Ridley Scott fan, I just can't think of any directors as old and with about a dozen movies in the works right now.

Also, my point was originally that Clint Eastwood gets to make movies because he makes fast cheap movies that Baby Boomers love.

I'd call half of the films you listed badly written and dull, but that's taste, I guess.

You didn't say a word about baby boomers, though. Roger Corman didn't make movies for baby boomers. :crossarms:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Theory: Dougie wears green because the only way Cooper will wake up is if Dougie smokes a fat one

No joke, the last episode made me suddenly realise that Dougie is probably named in reference to the Douglas firs Coop loved so much. That poo poo went straight over my head for six solid hours.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
sweep the peanuts, baby, sweep the peanuts

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

Just imagine if we got new Twin Peaks without Lynch/Frost, which apparently was the plan if Lynch fell through.

I wouldn't have watched it

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
One of the things I find interesting is how... fallen from grace Diane appears to be. Cooper's reverence toward her in the original show, her Roman goddess name, and her sheer unavailability to us as viewers, give her this almost divine quality. But then we finally, finally meet her, and she's this bitter, chain-smoking alcoholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQztzN-FDLU

I get the impression that the heartfelt, deep connection between Jeffrey and Sandy in this scene is exactly what's being denied to us in this show. The scene where Cooper and Diane are finally reunited should feel like this, but what we get instead is this awful silence and revulsion.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
We have 11 more episodes, I have a feeling we'll get exactly that catharsis at some point.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lynch should direct a VR short film

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

hawowanlawow posted:

Lynch should direct a VR short film

He should make a cow care simulator.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

And More posted:

He should make a cow care simulator.

Cheese comes from milk.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

We have 11 more episodes, I have a feeling we'll get exactly that catharsis at some point.

I love that this poo poo's not even half over yet

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If anything, I'm even more confused about what the rules are for how Dougie operates now because he goes from being childlike to being quick on his feet well-trained FBI agent back to being childlike again.

I'm glad we got to see Coop reappearing to protect Janey, but how does he just turn it on and off like that since it stops as soon as the threat's over? He seems like he's learning everything else for the first time, like he retained almost nothing from Coop, but how did he retain this and nothing else?

I took it to mean that most of the things he learned in the real world are gone, but some deep set habits and instincts remain.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I don't think this was mentioned here, but apparently there is a time skip inbetween the first shot of the RR diner and the dude running in and asking for bing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hP9GI

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Good find. Didn't notice that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the music during that scene was spooky, made me feel like something was wrong.

what's the timeskip exactly? I don't get it? nevermind i see it now

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 19, 2017