Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, my rogers bill went up this month. Wonder what their wheel of "why we need to increase the price" landed on this time. Guess it's time to consider going with start.ca or something, or at least use their prices to see if I can get rogers to lower the bill.

I've been with start for 3 years now, my bill has actually gone down while my profile went up and their customer service level has been great the whole time. Fantastic company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Start.ca looks cool and all but Rogers sells me unlimited 250 down for $73 a month and I've yet to find anyone who can beat that.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
They beat it by not being Rogers.

Rogers delenda est.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oftentimes the bigger ISPs do that via limited-time discounts. 6 months usually?

Also thanks for the comments about Coquitlam infrastructure, I look forward to being there again. West Coast is Best Coast.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Motherfucker

TSI offers 250/20 unlimited cable in my area, for less than what I'm paying for 25/10 DSL (once you factor in the cost of the phone line to support it). Only like $2/mo less, but still.

...except they don't offer static IP on it, because that requires Rogers to play ball and Rogers doesn't give a poo poo.

So before I can upgrade to that, I need to figure out which things I'm running that depend on static IP and can't easily cope with downtime while dyndns updates propagate, and move those to external hosting.

:suicide:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What on earth are you hosting on a residential VDSL connection that can't cope with downtime from a ~1 minute TTL?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ToxicFrog posted:

Motherfucker

TSI offers 250/20 unlimited cable in my area, for less than what I'm paying for 25/10 DSL (once you factor in the cost of the phone line to support it). Only like $2/mo less, but still.

...except they don't offer static IP on it, because that requires Rogers to play ball and Rogers doesn't give a poo poo.

So before I can upgrade to that, I need to figure out which things I'm running that depend on static IP and can't easily cope with downtime while dyndns updates propagate, and move those to external hosting.

:suicide:

You should know that Rogers/TSI Cable ip's rarely change. I've had the same one for years and with a UPS my modem is almost never down so there's even less opportunity to lose the IP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

infernal machines posted:

What on earth are you hosting on a residential VDSL connection that can't cope with downtime from a ~1 minute TTL?

Last time I used dydns the typical downtime was ~2 hours and sometimes as long as a day, which is fine for "people can't play DoomRL online" but quite bad for "Mom can't access her photo backups or private email".

E: the main thing is email, where a minute of downtime isn't a big deal but a day of downtime is, especially if the IP gets reassigned to something else that starts rejecting MX connections rather than just timing out before the DNS gets updated. I've wanted to stop self-hosting email for a while now, though, this just makes it a higher priority. Finding an external mail host that meets our needs and doesn't hugely suck is going to be the hard part.

Maybe I can convince everyone to give up most of their aliases so that we can use Google Apps?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 19, 2017

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'm mostly still surprised you can even run a mailserver when the ISPs here all block outbound SMTP / port 25. Or am I just a basic bitch? I won't admit to being that well versed about email in the first place.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

Last time I used dydns the typical downtime was ~2 hours and sometimes as long as a day, which is fine for "people can't play DoomRL online" but quite bad for "Mom can't access her photo backups or private email".

E: the main thing is email, where a minute of downtime isn't a big deal but a day of downtime is, especially if the IP gets reassigned to something else that starts rejecting MX connections rather than just timing out before the DNS gets updated. I've wanted to stop self-hosting email for a while now, though, this just makes it a higher priority. Finding an external mail host that meets our needs and doesn't hugely suck is going to be the hard part.

Maybe I can convince everyone to give up most of their aliases so that we can use Google Apps?

Aside from google apps you can get a vps or dedicated server for next to nothing now, you could even have a hybrid setup where you vpn out to a server then port forward 25 to your home server.

You can't really run an email server without a reverse dns entry now a days because it will get flagged as spam.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Poking around online I came across http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30805481-Telus-fibre-towns-list-as-of-June-17-2017-some-with-950-250

Looks like Telus has 250/250 and is rolling out 950/250 as of last week in areas that have access to Fiber. Guess I'm making a phone call when I get home.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe don't use a lovely DNS service that doesn't respect TTL then? I've used Namecheap and HE.net for DNS hosting (both have a dynamic DNS service), both have 180 TTL default for DDYNS entries, and can go even lower.

quote:

Stop self-hosting on a residential connection, at least get a VPS.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is Telus ever going to expand its 250/250 to other areas that currently have 150? I'm in Kamloops and Vernon has had it for quite a while :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Perplx posted:

Aside from google apps you can get a vps or dedicated server for next to nothing now, you could even have a hybrid setup where you vpn out to a server then port forward 25 to your home server.

That doesn't get me out of having to maintain the email setup, though, and if I'm going to migrate this loving thing I want to do it in a way that lets me mostly stop worrying about it.

quote:

You can't really run an email server without a reverse dns entry now a days because it will get flagged as spam.

It's fine for incoming mail; for outgoing mail we relay through TSI.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Godinster posted:

Is Telus ever going to expand its 250/250 to other areas that currently have 150? I'm in Kamloops and Vernon has had it for quite a while :(

From what I understand, Telus is planning on spending (3?) billion or so dollars in the next 3-4 years building out their fiber infrastructure. I'm hoping that the bulk of that goes to residential fiber buildout. I just saw that Vernon deal, looks amazing if you can get it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

originalnickname posted:

From what I understand, Telus is planning on spending (3?) billion or so dollars in the next 3-4 years building out their fiber infrastructure. I'm hoping that the bulk of that goes to residential fiber buildout. I just saw that Vernon deal, looks amazing if you can get it.

As predicted Net Neutrality is torpedoing investment in infrastructure

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Can't wait for tpia to be able to use fiber infrastructure.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
From what I've heard Telus is (understandably) launching Fibre projects in smaller towns to get practice at it, rollouts in smaller towns to get a stable idea of what does and doesn't work. It's easier to test gigabit in Terrace and refine your methods before you ask to tear up the streets of New Westminster.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Godinster posted:

Kamloops has been perpetually 3-5 years behind Vernon and Kelowna in internet infrastructure for at least 20 years, maybe longer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Novus has a 1gig/$69 promotion right now

:smug:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

Novus has a 1gig/$69 promotion right now

:smug:

Link to promotion?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Link to promotion?

Call them directly, I got it from the rep who came to my building in New West

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Of course the Rogers installer never showed up for my Start transfer. And of course the first available appointment is six days later, this Wednesday. I think I might spend the install window camping the parking lot, wearing a sandwich board with my unit number on it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Link to promotion?

Also

http://www.novusnow.ca/internet/

It's being called a "summer sale" so not sure when it ends, best to get on it ASAP if you can!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Telus needs to get that gig over to Alberta faster...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The problem with 1gbps is that I rarely utilize the full amount, like honestly after this year promotion, I'm gonna drop back down to 300mbps because there's literally no point to 1 gig in my case other than showing off speedtest results

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get more Linux ISOs??

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

The problem with 1gbps is that I rarely utilize the full amount, like honestly after this year promotion, I'm gonna drop back down to 300mbps because there's literally no point to 1 gig in my case other than showing off speedtest results

Yeah I basically just wanna have it just to say I did. My 150mbps pipe seems pretty sufficient for me thus far.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The only reason I upgraded to 100mbps is to get the 10mbps upstream instead of 2 or 4.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Also with most gigabit connections you will only really see about ~930 Mbps under ideal conditions and really good hardware. With average consumer routers you'll likely see a lot less as the WAN/LAN bridge is pretty lovely in most of them and you'll range anywhere form 300-800 Mbps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a good router and do see ~950mbps on mine according to speedtest, it's just pointless overall.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I dunno, getting 40+ MBps from Steam is nice. Also being able to grab poo poo off Technet roughly instantaneously.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I dunno, getting 40+ MBps from Steam is nice. Also being able to grab poo poo off Technet roughly instantaneously.

Well yeah, but 40MB/s is around the 300mbps tier which I'd drop down to, not 1gbps ;)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I can't tell if Steam just rate limits single connections to that or what, but I definitely didn't get those speeds on my old 250Mbit connection.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Without buying equipment with 10Gbps interfaces ($$$$$$$$), 950-980Mbps is all you'll ever see from overhead (like TCP ACK's being sent back).

bigmandan posted:

With average consumer routers you'll likely see a lot less as the WAN/LAN bridge is pretty lovely in most of them and you'll range anywhere form 300-800 Mbps.

Pretty much anything made in the last 5 years will easily do 1Gbps NAT thanks to CTF, where people see poor performance is blindly assuming third party firmwares are better (that do not included the required proprietary blobs to support hardware acceleration).

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

John Capslocke posted:

Without buying equipment with 10Gbps interfaces ($$$$$$$$), 950-980Mbps is all you'll ever see from overhead (like TCP ACK's being sent back).

Pretty much anything made in the last 5 years will easily do 1Gbps NAT thanks to CTF, where people see poor performance is blindly assuming third party firmwares are better (that do not included the required proprietary blobs to support hardware acceleration).

It really depends on the price range. Some of the newer stuff in the $50-100 range won't go past 600-700 Mbps. Somehow our customers end up buying them even after recommendations when they sign up for gigabit service.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It's almost like the vast majority have absolutely no use for 1gbit and it's all a big marketing ploy!! Craaaaazy

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

But its the tier of service best suited to let a family of 5 enjoy all their photos and music and movies. plus online games all with no slowdowns!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Sorry the 1gb package is best suited for a family of two plus dog. You should step up to our 5gb package for your family of 5. Each user requires 1gb/s so their instagram is lightning fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

It's almost like the vast majority have absolutely no use for 1gbit and it's all a big marketing ploy!! Craaaaazy

Yeah there is no way I'll keep this package once the promo price year is over. It's completely absurd and unnecessary.