Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

^^^^ that's pretty cool. looking forward to more hidden gems like that added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Woah, is that quest in vanilla or is that from that Recon mod?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Manual hauling assignments are an ok stop gap, but it's less than ideal. They'll only take one pile before switching jobs again. It'd be nice if the pawns prioritized perishables, but I think it becomes an O(n) search problem (with N being every tile on the map worst case) vs the current proximity search that can exit as soon as it gets a target through it's quickish localized search grid. I think the solution is a "haul everything in this zone asap" designation. I think tynan is trying to avoid short-term "order zones" in general though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

Manual hauling assignments are an ok stop gap, but it's less than ideal. They'll only take one pile before switching jobs again. It'd be nice if the pawns prioritized perishables, but I think it becomes an O(n) search problem (with N being every tile on the map worst case) vs the current proximity search that can exit as soon as it gets a target through it's quickish localized search grid. I think the solution is a "haul everything in this zone asap" designation. I think tynan is trying to avoid short-term "order zones" in general though.

It doesn't have to be an O(n) search problem. When a perishable item is first generated (e.g. you slaughter an animal, or some food arrives via drop pods), you can add it to an "unstored perishables" list along with its coordinates. Pawns can reference that regularly and know if there is a perishable they need to haul, and quickly calculate the distance to it based on their coordinates and those of the items in the list. This would be a lot faster than constantly scanning the entire map for perishables.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Woah, is that quest in vanilla or is that from that Recon mod?

It is the recon mod. There is also an abandoned colony quest, but not sure how to get that started. Largely I have been going to peace talks with the natives, ship crashes, and now this abandoned lab.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

enraged_camel posted:

It doesn't have to be an O(n) search problem. When a perishable item is first generated (e.g. you slaughter an animal, or some food arrives via drop pods), you can add it to an "unstored perishables" list along with its coordinates. Pawns can reference that regularly and know if there is a perishable they need to haul, and quickly calculate the distance to it based on their coordinates and those of the items in the list. This would be a lot faster than constantly scanning the entire map for perishables.

Instead of making it about finding perishables I guess it would just be a priority sort for the needs-hauling list. Still, it's a real time comparison of valid hauling options (deterioration rate, current hp, prox) vs get-closest. If you simply do is-deteriorating+prox over prox, you'd force the pawns to clear the food (+wood/old clothes?) list before carrying anything else and that might be worse.

The "haul these first" zone or priority setting seems simplest and most player-driven and would certainly be less hauling micro than currently needed. I get that it would be great if the pawns knew better, but AI is hard.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 17, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Dunno if this is quite how you want it to work but there's a mod that does something like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933645080

quote:

Adds new WorkGivers for hauling, which prioritise hauling perishables or food over non-perishables. Items will be considered perishable if they would rot in less than a year or deteriorate to zero hitpoints in ten days or less.

Rain, which causes higher deterioration rates, will be taken into account.

Perishable items will only be given priority for hauling if they are not under a roof or (in the case of rottable things) can be hauled somewhere colder.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Theres work tabs which the workshop link doesnt really explain, so you have to watch this horrible video. It does a bunch of stuff thats basically just better ui. It also lets you prioritize each individual task even delivering recources to a construction job. But its basically stock ai i think just more control. Im going to try it on my next playthrough, im not sure yet if this will make an even bigger mess of things or not the way i play. The part of the menu im talking about starts around 5 mins in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3hO8CtsYH2o

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
E: duplicate

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hahah, I love it when stupid tribals attack my caravan despite being hilariously outgunned.

"Hmm why yes, I'm sure my steel spear will do great against this guy's legendary power armor!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How do you guys manage clothing? It's the thing I micromanage the most, after hauling.

Specifically, power armors and parkas both have movement speed and global work speed penalties, which I hate. So whenever I notice a pawn wearing them while working indoors, I order him to take them off. Then, when he isgoing outside, or heading out to the battlements to defend against a raid, I make him put them back on.

I built this little armory specifically for power armors:

Manually managing this becomes pretty tedious as the colony grows, though.

I looked for a mod that makes pawns automatically adjust their clothing/armor based on environment temperature and whether there are enemies on the map. Couldn't find anything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Assign -> outfits

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Assign -> outfits

Yes, I looked at that. Seems very basic though. Is there a way to configure conditions for each outfit? For example, "if cold, search for a nearby available parka and wear it, otherwise don't."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I vaguely remember hearing about a mod for this back in like A10 days but not since then :shrug:

There's probably a scenario stat parameter to gently caress around with that if you'd rather just make it simple.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah all you have is the various outfit setups. what you actually want is devilstrand gear for protection from day to day, and power armor should only be used in active combat situations.

or just eat the work speed penalty and go with it because you're rich enough to stamp out loving power armor and a 10% work speed penalty really shouldn't bother you that much at this stage.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Coolguye posted:

yeah all you have is the various outfit setups. what you actually want is devilstrand gear for protection from day to day, and power armor should only be used in active combat situations.

or just eat the work speed penalty and go with it because you're rich enough to stamp out loving power armor and a 10% work speed penalty really shouldn't bother you that much at this stage.

I never notice the work speed penalties, I always twinge at the armor slowly degrading while wearing it day to day though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure item degradation speed from use (separate from exposure) is settable in scenario options, if it really bugs you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Zone or occasion based outfits is mostly just a glaring omission because of the presence of downsides to certain outfits. It just feels bad to say "yeah whatever, live with power armor 24/7" or explain how you foolproofed your arctic base so nobody ever goes outside instead of worked around parkas. Given the average gently caress it advice there's little reason anything other than devilstrand shirts, pants, and dusters exist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sure there is a lot of reason for these things to exist, it's called the first 4-6 years of your colony's existence.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

None of those are as stylish as tentacled cultist vestments and a cthulhu ritual mask :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I'm never playing on arctic maps again. The cold itself isn't a huge issue. Hydroponic farms though... they get annoying real fast.

Malfunction? Better have a spare component, otherwise you lose those crops on that farm.

Solar flare? Too loving bad, you lose ALL your crops.

Accidentally poke a hole in your outer wall? Lose ALL your crops to freezing arctic weather INSTANTLY, as the room's temperature changes from 21 C to -30 C in less than one second (I hate lazy programmers).

Heck, the things don't even protect against the plague event, which, again, kills more than half your crops.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the absolutely ridiculous energy usage of sun lamps, which requires you to build a poo poo ton of energy generators, which also randomly break down.

Overall, huge headache. Which is a shame because the arctic climate is otherwise fun to play on, with each season offering different challenges, flora/fauna, etc.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

What's the current version and name of the cult mod(s)? I tried using the most obvious candidate but got a lot of errors as if it wasn't updated for 17.

You probably got the right one, but didn't download the mod it depends on. They're called 'Call of Cthulhu - Cults' and 'JecsTools'.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Do people really just have their colonists chill in armor 24/7 instead of putting it in an armory? :psyduck:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I'm never playing on arctic maps again.

You can grow stuff in gravel, and there's usually a lot of gravel tiles in ice sheet biomes. Aside from this there's gobs of mods that make it more interesting without actually making it easy. Medieval Times is pretty great overall (wooden planter boxes, coal mining, coal-powered heating and lighting, including a coal-powered sunlamp alternative). There's also a Skylight mod that isn't especially game breaking (5 steel per tile to allow daylight through constructed roof).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sokani posted:

You probably got the right one, but didn't download the mod it depends on. They're called 'Call of Cthulhu - Cults' and 'JecsTools'.

The Elder Things playable race mod isn't updated but as far as I know everything else cult-related is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Donkringel posted:

1) Holo emitters. Either load a pawn via floppy disk, or scan a dead pawn. That pawn is now alive again but confined to a specific area. If they go to far they are transported back into the emitters field. I have a 20 med 20 art skill doctor I keep in the infirmary crafting drugs, medicine and art.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

Do people really just have their colonists chill in armor 24/7 instead of putting it in an armory? :psyduck:

Yes because gently caress arming 12 colonists every raid

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The other issue with wearing power armor all the time is the constant wear-and-tear that reduces its durability, and hence effectiveness.

I'm actually about to try an item repair mod that lets you use repair kits to repair items because the whole thing is just triggering me.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Malfunction? Better have a spare component, otherwise you lose those crops on that farm.
sun lamps..., which also randomly break down.

Fluffy Breakdowns prevents the problems with machines breaking down randomly, and even comes with a cost so its not unbalanced.
Now you can complain about your builder maintaining one machine, going across half the map to build a wall, then traveling back to base to maintain another machine! Progress!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Skanky Burns posted:

Fluffy Breakdowns prevents the problems with machines breaking down randomly, and even comes with a cost so its not unbalanced.
Now you can complain about your builder maintaining one machine, going across half the map to build a wall, then traveling back to base to maintain another machine! Progress!

Yeah, I looked at that mod, but decided against it for the reason you mentioned.

In an ideal mod, equipment would also have a quality modifier, which would (in addition to equipment efficiency) affect breakdown rate. A superior quality wind turbine constructed by your 'godlike' construction guy should generate more power, for example, and break down a lot less often than a shoddy one.

Taking a step back though, basically there is a lot of "busy work" in the game that is

a) unproductive
b) unpreventable

Cleaning is a great example. I've actually been using the doormat mod, and read somewhere that Tynan looked at it too, but he decided against implementing it to the core game because "it makes the cleaning job too easy."

That is a very worrying mindset, if true.

Maybe it's because I'm used to playing simulations that are all about optimization and efficiency (e.g. Factorio), and manual tasks for responding to non-preventable events just rub me the wrong way. I want to be able to automate everything (including when, where and during which activities pawns wear certain types of clothes) and watch the simulation run itself, taking over manual control during more major events like raider attacks or toxic fallouts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skanky Burns posted:

Pro tip: if you set everyone to carry materials to blueprints using Fluffy's Work Tab, building becomes much faster.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pro tip: if you set everyone to carry materials to blueprints using Fluffy's Work Tab, building becomes much faster.

With work tab you can also set some worthless 0 skill constructor to have"maintain equipment" as his #1 (and only construction) priority and solve the issues with fluffy breakdowns too

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Cleaning is a great example. I've actually been using the doormat mod, and read somewhere that Tynan looked at it too, but he decided against implementing it to the core game because "it makes the cleaning job too easy."

That is a very worrying mindset, if true.

Surprise, many of Tynan's ideas about what makes a good game are actually really terrible. On the plus side he's exposed pretty much everything to be overridden by mods :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Surprise, many of Tynan's ideas about what makes a good game are actually really terrible. On the plus side he's exposed pretty much everything to be overridden by mods :shrug:

Yeah, I understand. It's something I appreciate about the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The current cleaning job basically requires one janitor for a colony of like ~10 people which is really not that onerous

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The cleaning area mod makes it a lot nicer too, so your people stop trying to clean the corn

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Azhais posted:

The cleaning area mod makes it a lot nicer too, so your people stop trying to clean the corn
Yeah the biggest problem with the game right now is that it conflates "areas I don't want to catch on fire" with "areas that must be kept clean". Both are confusingly labelled "home area", and it expands automatically whenever you declare new storage or growing zones.

Decide to plant some trees on the far side of the map? Your janitor will immediately run over and start getting the pebbles off the rocks.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I just make my drug addicts clean since i have to restrict them to special zones anyway. Also people near mental break i make clean the rooms since being near nice stuff makes then happy again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Azhais posted:

Yep it's basically mandatory, so you don't have assholes going to polish the sand around the sealed geothermal plant 300 tiles away from your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just wish that in addition to the default "allowed areas" there was also "restricted areas" you could define, and could define them for each individual pawn and animal.

For example I want my animals to be able to hang out freely anywhere on the map, except for the kitchen/fridge.

There has to be a mod that does this. I just haven't had a chance to look.