Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sinteres posted:

The solo duty there was possibly my favorite one in the game so far, and I'm fine with dumb as long as it's fun. I liked the 67 plot better than you did too though, so ymmv.

Yeah the MSQ absolutely has gorgeous setpieces, cool fights, and individual cool character moments, I just think the overall story was kind of lacklustre.

At the risk of turning the thread into a CIA document (spoilers from the beginning of the Azim Steppe through Lakshmi):

The whole Nadaam plotline really really felt like it was fundamentally unbelievable as a story device. It's super contrived that this warlike society determines their kings through small-scale combat every few years, AND it's coming up soon, AND it allows foreigners to participate, AND a tribe was willing to let us champion them, AND that tribe wanted to help us out of the goodness of their hearts (since we sure as hell weren't offering anything in exchange). And then after we do it all, the response to "let's go fight for Doma" was "sure we always like a good war". Like, did we even need to do any of that poo poo? Couldn't we just have asked them nicely to fight for us and accomplished the same thing?

Then the liberation of Doma was mostly fine, except that it felt insanely truncated. Like--that was it? The entirety of the Garlean forces in the region were in the castle? Is Doma just a handful of villages and a castle calling themselves a country?

Then when we go back to Gyr Abania and it's clear that nothing we did in Doma really mattered. The purpose of the Doman adventure was to force the empire to move troops eastwards, right? So, uh...why do we start winning when the empire has done no such thing? I'm sure that at some point the Chekov's gun of Hien's promise of aid will pay off but as it stands it really seems like the only reason we went to Doma was because we felt like it, not because it was helpful in the slightest.

The Lakshmi segment was legitimately good though and that's where I stopped last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's, uh, quite the saying.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Someone was asking about RDM bars a few pages ago. This is what I got and is very much WIP:

I also realized as I took this screen shot Alt+6 and Alt+7 should be Alt+R and Alt+F, guess I forgot to save. 3rd tier of Black and White spells are probably going to replace compass and sprint and used Alt+Q and Alt+E, I'll put those elsewhere. But everything feels good to me.

Edit: Alt and Ctrl are bound to my M4 and M5 on my mouse by the way.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fire!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fister Roboto posted:

Just do the MSQ until you hit a wall, then go back and do sidequests starting from the highest level ones. Definitely do sidequests that award aether currents ASAP, though, and fortunately it looks like none of those are hidden behind long chains now.

I've got to try to make myself do this, yeah. I just bet I'll feel compelled to do them all even when there's more 'efficient' ways to spend my time because I might be mentally diseased or something :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you know, every ruling class keeping their grip on a multicultural empire has independently hit upon the golden rule that you send your local levies to go oppress somewhere else, partially to remove the problem of divided loyalties, but primarily so that a different ethnicity gets treated as the public face of your oppression, which pretty much eliminates the risk of a coordinated rebellion by itself

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
'hmm, we have this army of disaffected youth willing to do anything to secure a place in our empire, should we send them to go brutalize their own families, or somewhere else where they can become hated instead of us?'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the garleans weren't dumb you wouldn't have a chance of winning.

Thankfully they're dumb

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

you know, every ruling class keeping their grip on a multicultural empire has independently hit upon the golden rule that you send your local levies to go oppress somewhere else, partially to remove the problem of divided loyalties, but primarily so that a different ethnicity gets treated as the public face of your oppression, which pretty much eliminates the risk of a coordinated rebellion by itself

Usually the province is governed by a real human being instead of a JRPG villain though

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

Gaius did that, which is why he's the Garlean hero Eorzea deserves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

If the garleans weren't dumb you wouldn't have a chance of winning.

Thankfully they're dumb

Actually Eorzea repelling the Garlean conquest then turning around and liberating the already-conquered parts of Eorzea matches pretty closely with the history of Greece and Persia

If 5.0 is about a war between Limsa and Uldah where Uldah gets resources from Garlemald then we'll know for a fact it's intentional

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have yet to get any dialogue specific to being a ninja and it's making me really sad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Gaius did that, which is why he's the Garlean hero Eorzea deserves.

I'm trying to remember ARR, did Gaius ever commit any atrocities or ala mhigo-style brutal occupation, beyond expansionist aggression at the behest of Garlemald

I guess besides his ill-advised Ascian alliance, anyway

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Gaius was far too boring to do something like that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

I have yet to get any dialogue specific to being a ninja and it's making me really sad.

I'm pretty sure Yugiri made a quick reference or two, but as far as Lakshmi that's all I can remember too. Kind of a letdown.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to remember ARR, did Gaius ever commit any atrocities or ala mhigo-style brutal occupation, beyond expansionist aggression at the behest of Garlemald

I guess besides his ill-advised Ascian alliance, anyway

Gaius did nothing wrong. I guess he was pretty brutal to the beast tribes in the first place though, right?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm probably going to pick this up in a few days and start playing again. How are the servers holding up after All My Namedays?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Gaius did nothing wrong.

Yeah I was literally about to post that in response to the convo then I wondered if it was actually true-ish :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Gaius did nothing wrong. I guess he was pretty brutal to the beast tribes in the first place though, right?

the eorzeans aren't exactly spotless in that respect either

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

the eorzeans aren't exactly spotless in that respect either

The Limsans seem to be the worst, which makes sense given that they're a bunch of filthy pirates. Sickening.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

at least in that case he had the excuse that he knew they were a primary cause of eikon summoning and made a (poor) attempt to stop it, and hell in the long term that's the goal of the Scions too

itt i'm a Gaius apologist

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nice
Stormblood classes are A+ when it comes to glamour potential

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

DizzyBum posted:

I'm probably going to pick this up in a few days and start playing again. How are the servers holding up after All My Namedays?

90ks are still common, we had a bad outage somewhere that caused a poo poo load of 90ks and server queue lines. Haven't heard anything so far today but we'll see what happens in prime time tonight. Instances seem good now too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I literally don't remember who any of the garleans are or what they did after the backseat they took in pretty much all of heavensward so I hope stormblood reminds me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I literally don't remember who any of the garleans are or what they did after the backseat they took in pretty much all of heavensward so I hope stormblood reminds me

All the Garleans you meet in Stormblood are new, so don't worry.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jinh posted:

90ks are still common, we had a bad outage somewhere that caused a poo poo load of 90ks and server queue lines. Haven't heard anything so far today but we'll see what happens in prime time tonight. Instances seem good now too.

Cool, hopefully poo poo gets more ironed out by the weekend.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Three days into the expansion and I've already been kicked from a party for not having enough HP as a tank. Great change SE, tanks doing too much damage really needed fixing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what does your damage have to do with not having enough HP

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Augus posted:

Don't make eye contact with Fister, he'll post at you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Fister Roboto posted:

Three days into the expansion and I've already been kicked from a party for not having enough HP as a tank. Great change SE, tanks doing too much damage really needed fixing.

You get kicked a lot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Augus posted:

Since tank AP is back to 100% strength, you need to give up damage to get more HP, and vice versa.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Since tank AP is back to 100% strength, you need to give up damage to get more HP, and vice versa.

So give yourself more HP

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd rather have more damage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

have you considered trying a damage-dealer class

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Augus posted:

have you considered trying a damage-dealer class

He's just gonna say something like, "that's all of them."

Which is not exactly wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Have you considered that maybe SE made a really stupid change to solve a problem that didn't need to be fixed? I have seen very few if any people complain about tanks getting AP from vitality.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's probably more that they felt tank numbers were getting a bit too high and wanted DPS classes to still be the best at DPS

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Have you considered that maybe SE made a really stupid change to solve a problem that didn't need to be fixed? I have seen very few if any people complain about tanks getting AP from vitality.

The change was almost certainly made to go along with the new changes to the weakness debuff. Though I think they should have just made the debuff be "damage and healing down by 25%/50%" rather than affecting stats directly, which would have allowed tanks to keep their hybrid stats.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Do you ever make a post that isn't bitching?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mordiceius posted:

Do you ever make a post that isn't bitching?

Whats with your AV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
he's somehow worse at posting than even fister