Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

Still probably a great power...
In the way pre-WWI Austria was!

lool no

the only think that makes the UK great atm is your nukes

imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no offense

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
can't even do hot imperial queen PM right nowadays
gonna have a hella incompetent corbyin PM in a couple of years :shrug:
who am i to talk, canada is run by corrupt incompetents its the law

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Baloogan posted:

no offense

actually nukes are pretty good offensively

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

redneck nazgul posted:

actually nukes are pretty good offensively

not the UK's nukes lol, fukin countervalue cucks

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Baloogan posted:

what a waste of perfectly good reactor chow

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
keeping up an appearance of britain being great is 100 percent the reason for trident ... which comes at the expense of a functional navy which actually made britain great.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
britain is turning into a liberal-democratic western version of north korea. can't do poo poo but they have nukes so oohwoohwoohoo so scary

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what kind of oval office waves as he is brought into custody for mass murder

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

bump_fn posted:

can white people be terrorists in the UK or is it like america

depends whether you view the irish as white or not

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Least he wasn't shouting about what he did was free speech

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

keeping up an appearance of britain being great is 100 percent the reason for trident ... which comes at the expense of a functional navy which actually made britain great.
Call us when ISIS gets a credible flotilla.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
People who care about nuclear weapons have a disease called 'mental retardation'

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

oliwan posted:

People who care about nuclear weapons have a disease called 'mental retardation'

what do you me

e: its me, im the mental retardation who cant use img tags

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/876742345831612417

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
:ussr:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

idc, btw

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

INNOCENT WHITE MAN UPDATE: they can finally say "terrorist attack", but only in scare quotes

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Yinlock posted:

INNOCENT WHITE MAN UPDATE: they can finally say "terrorist attack", but only in scare quotes

It's important to preserve the benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty, let the police do their job etc

Also I'm sure his accomplices will turn out to be polite, sharp dressers who volunteer for the community and help little (white christian) old ladies cross roads.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

Does the uk still count as an imperial power? I'm pretty sure half of right wing politics in this country is caused by people being insecure we don't have an empire anymore.

The UK still controls 6.800,000 square kilometers of Exclusive Economic Zone because of all the islands they stole in the world's oceans. That's over 8 times the exploitable sea territories that China has. The country with the most exploitable territories in the world is France.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Lol the newb couldn't mass murder.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The UK still controls 6.800,000 square kilometers of Exclusive Economic Zone because of all the islands they stole in the world's oceans. That's over 8 times the exploitable sea territories that China has. The country with the most exploitable territories in the world is France.
ok but the UK has significantly under 1/8th the total land area of china so it's pretty fair if you think about it

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

bbc headline posted:

Attack suspect "troubled but not racist"

And so it begins...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If Corbyn becomes PM, will that be the first time an anti-imperialist is head of an imperial power?

maybe lenin :can:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I don't think you can invade Poland and claim to be anti-imperial tbh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i agree with gerry

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/876918983403773952

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

you totally can but that doesn't make it true

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Gravy Jones posted:

And so it begins...

Perhaps he was just anxious? Maybe due to economical issues?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

Call us when ISIS gets a credible flotilla.
think longer term. the Royal Navy can barely patrol the home waters and keep Russian ships in check right now. I'd be happy if the R.N. had a few more frigates at this point.

And the UK has no maritime surveillance planes!!! (Until 2019.) Which is nutty.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Well, they can't afford an extra 5K for fire-retardant plastic siding, how are they going to pony up the several billion for a carrier group?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
u gotta think long term because navies take a long time to build so you're planning decades in advance. the flip side is that if you neglect your navy then it rusts away and suddenly you wake up and you're screwed.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Without naval supremacy, England is vulnerable once again to French invasion.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

logikv9 posted:

what happens if those rocks were make of yayo

then we gon get rich bby

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

lool no

imo

well yeah jack bruce died and eno sold out

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

Who invaded who during the civil war is kind of in the air (Poland shot first)

quote:

And the UK has no maritime surveillance planes!!! (Until 2019.) Which is nutty.

But the carrier!

(seriously though ballistic subs and carriers seem like they're stupid white whales for any great power that doesn't want to be quite as gung ho at invading everywhere as the US)

Also has the Mail decided that the true culprit was the van and a hypothetical muslim mechanic yet?

quote:

Some tories were apparently unironically terrified about the potential for a french invasion going through the Chunnel back when it was being negotiated.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

nah it's not about that, tacky-rear end rococco. u gotta think in terms of the UK being part of an alliance system and that trident doesn't really add anything to it. a bigger navy adds a lot more capability.

if britain gets nuked then it's world war III anyways but the nuke boosters sell trident to blimps dreaming about the UK having an "independent" capability. the catch is that UK nukes are dependent on US tech (and surveillance/intelligence for nuke targeting) while also hoovering up money from the rest of the military so the UK is more dependent on the US, not less.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/876935081666924544

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

Who invaded who during the civil war is kind of in the air (Poland shot first)
???

The SU agreed to the German peace treaty and then expanded rapidly westwards when the second empire finally caved in late 1918; I don't think you can credibly moan that the Poles shot first after the Red Army attacked the Baltics and Belarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Is this still a thing people get called in Britain? I thought it'd died out during/after the second world war.