Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Padams posted:

I remember when I lived in Houston and tried to get involved with the local democratic party before the 2014 midterms. After much searching, I finally found the party "HQ" (a converted doctor's office in an office tower) which was nearly empty. There was a bell to ring and some old dude came doddering out. I asked if there was anything I could do to help out. I received a blank stare and he handed me a sign-up sheet to put my email address on then sent me on my way.

When I was at UT, I was part of Students for Barack Obama and whenever we had potential volunteers show up, we'd put them to work immediately. Not just put them on a DNC mailing list to beg for money every day. I don't know if I even got requests to phonebank or volunteer in other ways from the local Democratic party. If I did, they were lost in the avalanche of DNC fundraising emails and requests to put my name on bullshit online petitions nobody cares about. gently caress the useless consultant class. I guess it's smart for neoliberal consultants to just smother any potential progressive energy and activism in a blanket of fundraising and petition spam so that there won't be any real change.

Not sure what neoliberal consultants have to do with your local party being poo poo. Local parties being bad is why you worked with Students for Obama instead of YD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hey CC you should check out the thing I quoted at you

zegermans posted:

Yard signs are like WAAAGGGHHH!!! banners. You need them to convince your side you're winning and have the momentum is a functioning team.

this is actually more important than it seems

the difference between a highly enthusiastic voter and one who's just voting out of a sense of obligation is 5 extra votes from family/friends/neighbors that the former dragged out to vote with them

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off

Concerned Citizen posted:

Not sure what neoliberal consultants have to do with your local party being poo poo. Local parties being bad is why you worked with Students for Obama instead of YD.

Mainly because consultants push the party to focus only on things like TV ad buys and to hire more consultants instead of working to shore up local parties.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

wew

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Lmao if you vote for, donate to, work for, or help in any way the very same people that gave you Hilary Clinton to vote for instead of someone inspiring

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's 2017 and people aren't sure about primarying every Democrat :laugh:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments for Gill v. Whitford today on the Constitutionality of gerrymandering.

See this summary from the Brennan Center.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure Joe Manchin's daughter is literally a pharma ceo that's killing children for profits, and he voted for Jeff Sessions, but he's the best we can do! :shrug:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Rand alPaul posted:

Sure Joe Manchin's daughter is literally a pharma ceo that's killing children for profits, and he voted for Jeff Sessions, but he's the best we can do! :shrug:

unfortunately, given his approval ratings, every clause of this post is unironically true

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GalacticAcid posted:

The Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments for Gill v. Whitford today on the Constitutionality of gerrymandering.

See this summary from the Brennan Center.

sure nice timing that the repubs stole a seat for

the best way to move dems left is join the dsa and make dems form a coalition if they want votes. changing from within will take decades

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

got any sevens posted:

sure nice timing that the repubs stole a seat for

elections have consequences

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Lmao if you vote for, donate to, work for, or help in any way the very same people that gave you Hilary Clinton to vote for instead of someone inspiring

I did become a member of TOP (Texas Organizing Project). It's amazing how much better they are than the Houston Democratic Party. They actually held events regularly that weren't just fundraising dinners. I'm in Philly now, think I might join the DSA chapter here.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GalacticAcid posted:

elections have consequences

the repubs couldve kept the seat empty another four years if hildog won :shrug:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Padams posted:

I did become a member of TOP (Texas Organizing Project). It's amazing how much better they are than the Houston Democratic Party. They actually held events regularly that weren't just fundraising dinners. I'm in Philly now, think I might join the DSA chapter here.

there's a Working Families Party branch in Philly, too. Might be worth checking out one of their meetings. I canvassed with them once this cycle, seemed like they had some good people on board. It's weird though in PA -- they can't cross-endorse the way they can in NY which limits their effectiveness.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

got any sevens posted:

the repubs couldve kept the seat empty another four years if hildog won :shrug:

oh man that would have been some awesome not mattering

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Padams posted:

Mainly because consultants push the party to focus only on things like TV ad buys and to hire more consultants instead of working to shore up local parties.

The parties are bad because they're run by volunteers who don't know what they're doing and often reject advice about what they should be doing. It's really not a money issue. I recall a sort of tale of two committees some years ago - I had two small towns with upcoming municipal elections that I was working with. One was enthusiastic to work with me, they had great leadership. I went out there every week to show them how to use VAN, how to canvass/phone bank, how to write scripts, etc. They narrowly won despite being predicted to lose. The other committee didn't want to listen - they had a strategy that revolved around turning out presidential-only voters. They figure if they turned out 75% of them to vote straight Democratic, they'd win. So they saw no improvement in their performance and lost. The second committee was flush with cash, the first was cash-strapped. Oftentimes locals lack resources to learn how to run effective grassroots campaigns, and that needs to be fixed. But they also are often just a club of people who hangout and don't really care about improving, it's just an ego thing for them. I've said before but really it's essentially a structural issue with local parties - the kinds of people who are elected to run these are often the worst people to do that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

tale of two committees

https://twitter.com/Messina2012/status/872792410572632066

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

It's really not a money issue.

😒

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jim Messina can eat a bag of dicks.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

oh man that would have been some awesome not mattering

that avatar has had a really positive effect on you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The parties are bad because they're run by volunteers who don't know what they're doing and often reject advice about what they should be doing. It's really not a money issue. I recall a sort of tale of two committees some years ago - I had two small towns with upcoming municipal elections that I was working with. One was enthusiastic to work with me, they had great leadership. I went out there every week to show them how to use VAN, how to canvass/phone bank, how to write scripts, etc. They narrowly won despite being predicted to lose. The other committee didn't want to listen - they had a strategy that revolved around turning out presidential-only voters. They figure if they turned out 75% of them to vote straight Democratic, they'd win. So they saw no improvement in their performance and lost. The second committee was flush with cash, the first was cash-strapped. Oftentimes locals lack resources to learn how to run effective grassroots campaigns, and that needs to be fixed. But they also are often just a club of people who hangout and don't really care about improving, it's just an ego thing for them. I've said before but really it's essentially a structural issue with local parties - the kinds of people who are elected to run these are often the worst people to do that.

"one local party was good but got no money from the national party and outside groups. the other local party was bad but got tons of money from the national party and outside groups. therefore all local parties are bad"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876901304207069185

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I wish we had someone who would advocate for our candidates, maybe using some kind of bully pulpit?

Oh well I'm sure it's nbd.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

"one local party was good but got no money from the national party and outside groups. the other local party was bad but got tons of money from the national party and outside groups. therefore all local parties are bad"

Neither of them got money from national or outside groups, one just had local wealthy people bankrolling them. Regardless, most people who try to volunteer know most local parties are bad and giving them money just means they'll spend it on dumb poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

if trump calls 'ahca' healthcare then yeah i'd vote for someone who wants to kill it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hello suck zone

https://twitter.com/Scott_Maxwell/status/876905123653578752

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I wish we had someone who would advocate for our candidates, maybe using some kind of bully pulpit?

Oh well I'm sure it's nbd.

No, Obama is too noble and centrist to do anything like that! droning brown women & children tho......

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Is Grayson running for anything?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Neither of them got money from national or outside groups, one just had local wealthy people bankrolling them. Regardless, most people who try to volunteer know most local parties are bad and giving them money just means they'll spend it on dumb poo poo.

really? it sounds like the first local party in your anecdote won an election that would have been lost if not for them, because the outside groups and larger party organizations weren't paying any attention to their candidate at all

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

zegermans posted:

Is Grayson running for anything?

he might try another Senate run next year but he's extremely poo poo so I hope he goes away

he was at least fun to have around in the house. maybe he'll get back to that

dude mostly just sends emails these days

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
grayson sucks poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol if you don't think having a shitload of trump yard signs didn't immunize people to how loving surreal it was for trump to be a presidential candidate

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Main Paineframe posted:

really? it sounds like the first local party in your anecdote won an election that would have been lost if not for them, because the outside groups and larger party organizations weren't paying any attention to their candidate at all

The moral was that the first local party won because they listened to him.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

i was working for the state party with the goal of helping the local parties run better grassroots campaigns, in the hopes that those improvements would transfer over to improved performance in even years. but essentially that investment is wasted for most local parties, because they just don't really care that much. it's a club for them, not a cause.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i was working for the state party with the goal of helping the local parties run better grassroots campaigns, in the hopes that those improvements would transfer over to improved performance in even years. but essentially that investment is wasted for most local parties, because they just don't really care that much. it's a club for them, not a cause.

How is this different from the unelected officials of the national party?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How is this different from the unelected officials of the national party?

the national party isn't good either, it's all part of the same rotten structure.

edit: and they are elected - by local parties, who are poo poo, who elect state parties, who are poo poo, who then elect national delegates, who don't magically become better because they're national.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

haha that rules

there's so much money being tossed into that race might as well siphon off some

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

it's a club for them, not a cause.

Sounds like you've found the problem with the entire party.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The moral was that the first local party won because they listened to him.

not even just me. i came in from the state party. a congressional candidate's staff was also working to do candidate trainings and improve the local parties, but this particular one was obstinate because they Had A Plan and nothing could dissuade them from following an insane strategy. even afterward they came to me and conceded "huh, I guess we should have tried to win over regular swing voters instead of a strategy of just turning out presidential voters for a municipal election," but color be totally unsurprised that they did the exact same thing just months later. there are a few local parties that are good - I have fond memories of those ones - most of them are extremely useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/876798448808472576

• Locked thread