Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

It's sad and all but I'm honestly surprised that more teams don't do this. The NFL and MLB, for example, are absolutely ruthless about getting rid of "fan favourites" when they can no longer meaningfully contribute or are overpriced.
They got rid of Doan basically as soon as he wasn't good any more. I don't think they're necessarily more ruthless in the NFL/MLB as much as guys fall off a cliff quicker and in much more demonstrable fashion. In the cases where a guy just falls apart the sentimentality for him usually doesnt last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

NHL rosters have more room for meh players though because of how bad most 4th lines and 7th dmen are. NFL and MLB rosters don't really have room to use guys in the same way.

The way the game is evolving I'm not sure how true this is any more, moreso for forwards than defensemen. There's been a massive shift towards fast checking forward 3rd/4th lines rather than plugs.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They got rid of Doan basically as soon as he wasn't good any more.

This is exactly what I meant when I said I'm surprised more teams don't do this? :confused:

grack fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 19, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

It's sad and all but I'm honestly surprised that more teams don't do this. The NFL and MLB, for example, are absolutely ruthless about getting rid of "fan favourites" when they can no longer meaningfully contribute or are overpriced.

I'm just surprised that Arizona couldn't flip him for a late pick or something at the deadline so he could chase a cup.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He had an NMC

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

doan's probably gonna have to agree to PK, not be on the PP, not be paid well, and be on the 4th line, so it will be interesting to see where he goes and how he fits in. he hasn't been the best player on the team in years and he was still the captain, so he did better than dustin brown at least.

also, i don't really think he's been done dirty in any way here. he's not getting cut, free agency hasn't started, and i'm assuming we're retiring his number when he's done

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
shane doan, the most beloved 2nd-liner who has never won anything

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

This is exactly what I meant when I said I'm surprised more teams don't do this? :confused:
Every team does that?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Cutting out Doan now also avoids awkwardness of trading or sending down the captain mid-season.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
jagrs never won a cup in the Bettman Era, at least

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yes, but I'm sure if Chayka said "Chicago are interested in you, do you want to go and try and win a cup there this year? We won't be re-signing you," he'd agree to a trade.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Just saw that Ryan Strome isn't protected, and I haven't seen anyone mention it. Is there no hope left for him?

He's had two weak seasons in a row after a very strong 2014-2015 year. Inconsistent effort and constant benchings under Capuano, although he, much like every other young Isles player, looked much better when Capuano was canned and Weight took over.

Still has the high hockey IQ that he showed in that 50 point season but he's regressed in a lot of areas since. I don't think he has that first line upside anymore, but if it were possible I'd like to see him with a full season under Weight before completely writing him off.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

re: shane doan

they're not competitive and perennially struggle to hit the cap floor, so i dont really see why they cant extend doans contract.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, but I'm sure if Chayka said "Chicago are interested in you, do you want to go and try and win a cup there this year? We won't be re-signing you," he'd agree to a trade.

I'm not sure that's true.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm not sure that's true.

quote:

Arizona Coyotes captain Shane Doan said Monday he has not been asked to waive his no-movement clause but didn't rule out agreeing to do so before the NHL Trade Deadline.

Doan was reacting to a report by Sportsnet on Saturday that said the Coyotes were considering approaching Doan about a trade before the Feb. 28 deadline, one that might give him a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

"I heard about it," Doan said of the report by Elliotte Friedman. "People have texted and talked to me about it. I never said I wouldn't go anywhere. I've always wanted to stay here. If there was ever an opportunity, the Coyotes have always been incredible to me and respectful to me in every way.

"I'd talk about it with my family and make a decision on that if it was to come up, but it would have to be so perfect and so right that it's pretty hard for it to all line up perfectly. It would have to be exactly perfect and that just doesn't happen too often in our sport."

https://www.nhl.com/news/coyotes-doan-open-to-trade-to-contender/c-285745978

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Why would an expansion team want a 3x Stanley Cup winning goalie and Face of the Franchise type player who is still in his prime and who is also universally adored by everyone except cynical goons? Weird

:thunk:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Weird that when they're trying to unload him, all of PAS suddenly loves MAF.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i never knew MAF was universally adored

or a franchise player

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Every team does that?

Tell that to LA

Gio posted:

i never knew MAF was universally adored

or a franchise player

Credit where credit is due, Fleury absolutely stole the Washington series and was pretty good against Columbus as well.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Jordan7hm posted:

Mrazek's horrible no good very bad season was basically the same as MAF's. He's a good young goalie on a good contract. The worst part is that he'll probably be a better than average goalie given away for nothing.

I couldn't care less if he actually became good, in fact I hope he does, same with Marchenko, because by the time this team isn't poo poo they'll be well past their primes so who cares good luck. It's definitely more that latter part of your last sentence where Holland continues to allow players with trade value walk away for nothing and just because they flame out doesn't make him right. Especially not when you fail to gain more assets and spend all the money you save on giving plugs 7 year loving contracts.

I'm convinced Mrazek won't amount to anything purely because it'll give the Holland-stans more ammo and he'll literally be GM until he dies

e: lol @ u if you don't know that Doan will be on a plane to Detroit within the first 20 minutes of the FA period

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2017

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Suspicious posted:

The "lol Fleury" stuff is amplified here more than anywhere, online or off, and has been getting run into the ground for like 5 years now

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Also, Fluery is the longest tenured Pittsburgh Penguin and most definitely was a franchise player here in Pittsburgh.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I mean that basically says to me he wouldn't go.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

e: lol @ u if you don't know that Doan will be on a plane to Detroit within the first 20 minutes of the FA period

He can play with Vanek who apparently Detroit is interested in again.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Suspicious posted:

I also conflate salary cap realities for wanting to get rid of a bad player

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

huh, there are no direct flights from PHX to MTL? i guess a layover in detroit ain't so bad

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I also conflate salary cap realities for wanting to get rid of a bad player

lmao as if PAS' nonstop bellyaching about MAF had anything to do with his cap hit.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Fleury hasn't been the MAFster in a few years at least. Since changing goalie coaches I guess.

I don't think it's ever been a question he's an awesome dude and a great teammate.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hifi posted:

yes, but they can also talk to him right now which gives them a head start. vegas signing a ufa now would be stupid because players are like a week away from free agency so they aren't getting a discount and they lose their pick if they sign him

lol if you think there's a single 'asset' available in Edmonton worth taking

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Suspicious posted:

lmao as if PAS' nonstop bellyaching about MAF had anything to do with his cap hit.

What's a PAS

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Suspicious posted:

it's exactly the opposite of weird that there are good feelings for MAF right now, since he's very likely not going to be on the pens anymore. hard to hate on such a lovable doof when you don't have to worry about more beachball gifs. and the fact that his hot streak was almost singlehandedly responsible for getting the pens into the ECF doesn't hurt either

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i had a friend link the story to me. i can only assume he was suggesting the wings sign him for some godforsaken reason.

e: though what would it hurt to sign him to a one year deal then flip him for literally anything at the deadline? or am i not thinking about this right

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think the crazy Penguins vs Flyers series from 2012 will always be remembered fondly here, and Fleury didn't do well in that series. He's had that rep here ever since.

I don't think it has to be one or the other, Fleury is just a goalie capable of playing both great and terrible, so he's streaky. Honestly, pretty similar to Rinne.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

streaky is another word for "mediocre"

also rinne is way better than fleury.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Weren't the Rangers rumored to be after Doan at the deadline?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gio posted:

streaky is another word for "mediocre"

also rinne is way better than fleury.

:salt:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Weren't the Rangers rumored to be after Doan at the deadline?

I think brooks has been trotting that every trade deadline for the past 5 years

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Vegas going to get their own AHL team? I haven't seen anything about that

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bizarre deformity posted:

Is Vegas going to get their own AHL team? I haven't seen anything about that

Chicago Wolves

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chicago Wolves

Were they unaffiliated before or did they steal the team from someone? I am not super familiar with who each team's farm team is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Were they unaffiliated before or did they steal the team from someone? I am not super familiar with who each team's farm team is.
They were St.Louis'. St. Louis will send them prospects this year but will have an expansion AHL team soon.

• Locked thread