Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not everywhere has Uber(tm) or public transport after reasonable drinking hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sassassin posted:

Not everywhere has Uber(tm) or public transport after reasonable drinking hours.

Where? Where doesn't have Uber and also bars not in walking distance?

By "Uber" I mean ridersharing in general, not Uber specifically.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

WampaLord posted:

Rural Arkansas, for one. Drunk drivers swerving all over the place after like 8 o'clock is a common occurrence. There's a taxi company here but they're ridiculously expensive. I just tend to drink at home.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't it technically not illegal to drive drunk in some state up until like the early 1980s? I wanna say one of the Dakotas

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of people who don't drink often can get "hard to walk in a straight line" drunk after just "a couple beers" and I don't want those people driving just so some professional drinker who claims to not feel a buzz until drink 5 can.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Sucks to be them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

Rural Arkansas, for one. Drunk drivers swerving all over the place after like 8 o'clock is a common occurrence. There's a taxi company here but they're ridiculously expensive. I just tend to drink at home.

Sounds like someone should buy one of those folding scooters and start a business of picking up drunks and driving them and their trucks/cars home for like $40 a pop.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
"Turn on your monitor" is a dumb, unfunny phrase

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Uber should be an option for sure or some kind of ride sharing. But many folk can "walk the line, touch their nose, etc" while still bring over the .08 limit.

I think drunk driving is bad and should be cracked down on, I just dont think failing a breathalizer should be end all be all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Turn off your computer and never turn it on again.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

We Know Catheters posted:

How do you feel about the phrase "Suck my dick, you fuckman"? I'm sad that it seems to have dropped out of use.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

A hell of a lot of rural areas. Do remember that there are people who live in a house that's more than a mile away from the nearest other building that isn't a shed. The suburbs also sometimes toss bars into the NIMBY category so the bars have to be too far away to walk. Even if they're close you probably can't actually walk there thanks to a highway or something.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't it technically not illegal to drive drunk in some state up until like the early 1980s? I wanna say one of the Dakotas

In Wyoming you can drive your 4 wheeler down main street to the drive up liquor store and order a rum slush and no one gives a poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

Im not saying drunk driving is cool and good. And if you hurt someone while drunk, then there is the guillotine right over there.

Im just saying that an arbitrary bac limit at a random stop shouldnt cause someone to be treated thr same as straddling the median at 60mph totally inebriated. It should be based on competence at the time, not a breathalizer number.

Imo the solution is better public transit and affordable vehicle recovery.

Waving around a loaded firearm while drunk should not be responded to until the person actually pulled the trigger

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Sunswipe posted:

How do you feel about the phrase "Suck my dick, you fuckman"? I'm sad that it seems to have dropped out of use.

That one is ok. 👍

Also the phrase "you guys" bugs me for some reason.

Altared State has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jun 19, 2017

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Jastiger posted:

Im just saying that an arbitrary bac limit at a random stop shouldnt cause someone to be treated thr same as straddling the median at 60mph totally inebriated.

We do this in Australia. If you go over, it's divided between low, medium, and highly over the limit. If you're just slightly over, there are different consequences to if you're double the limit. Does this not happen in the US? Does this not happen in (parts of) the US?

I wonder where the (general, not singling anyone out) attitude of "driving as a right that should only be taken from you in extreme circumstances" comes from. Where I live, to get your licence, you have to do 120 hours supervised driving if you get your learners permit at 16, which is the earliest you can get it, and even then, you can't get a full licence until you're 21 at the earliest. I wonder if making it easier to get a licence enforces an attitude of entitlement to driving.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
You can get a harsher sentence for being way over the limit but it varies from state to state. Other than that if you blow over you're hosed regardless pretty much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Whitlam posted:

I wonder where the (general, not singling anyone out) attitude of "driving as a right that should only be taken from you in extreme circumstances" comes from. Where I live, to get your licence, you have to do 120 hours supervised driving if you get your learners permit at 16, which is the earliest you can get it, and even then, you can't get a full licence until you're 21 at the earliest. I wonder if making it easier to get a licence enforces an attitude of entitlement to driving.

Building your entire country, as a matter of public policy, around cars and cars alone. If you can't drive you can't work a job, you can't buy anything, you can't have access to essential services. Not having a car and license is pretty much house-arrest in much of the US. You might as well lock someone up in prison than take their license away.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A hell of a lot of rural areas. Do remember that there are people who live in a house that's more than a mile away from the nearest other building that isn't a shed. The suburbs also sometimes toss bars into the NIMBY category so the bars have to be too far away to walk. Even if they're close you probably can't actually walk there thanks to a highway or something.

Yea, but if you're that rural, do you even have a bar you can drive to that isn't an hour away?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Building your entire country, as a matter of public policy, around cars and cars alone. If you can't drive you can't work a job, you can't buy anything, you can't have access to essential services. Not having a car and license is pretty much house-arrest in much of the US. You might as well lock someone up in prison than take their license away.

Thats the solution Arizona went with.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Whitlam posted:

We do this in Australia. If you go over, it's divided between low, medium, and highly over the limit. If you're just slightly over, there are different consequences to if you're double the limit. Does this not happen in the US? Does this not happen in (parts of) the US?

That makes sense.

But yes the reaaon its seen as a privilege is because its almost required to move up economically in 95% of the country. Its not something that is easy to do without and keep gainful employment. Thats why i think we can be way too draconian.

In the United States a lot of our punitive measures ensure offenders can never really recover or move up economically. See: child support, dui, sex offenses, certain drug charges.

As for example of a drunk person with a gun, this is where and why i think the secomd amendment is retarded. If youre drunk with a gun, that isnt a crime unless youre brandishing it. But thats different than driving. I wouldn't say driving drunk is the same as brandishing a gun about.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
There you go, thanks for replies. Most of my friends can't drive, which is probably the result of the combo of the 120 hours requirement (although that is dropped after you turn 21), and the fact that we actually have a decent public transport system (at least in metro areas).

Jastiger posted:

I wouldn't say driving drunk is the same as brandishing a gun about.

I'd respectfully disagree. No, they aren't literally the same, but they're both pretty unnecessarily dangerous, and people are idiots. I wouldn't trust someone who was drunk with a gun any more than I'd trust a drunk driver.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Whitlam posted:

No; America is "you're over or you aren't." You get nastier penalties on top of a DUI if you cause a crash and kill somebody but if you get caught driving erratically while doing nothing else wrong a DUI is a DUI. What we do do is ratchet up nastier penalties as you accumulate more of them. Some people just don't learn and end up losing their right to drive for life. I think it varies by state as the states are who deals with driver's licenses and what have you but I'm pretty sure there isn't much variation. It can also vary on what type of driver you are; the limits are lower for people who drive big rigs.

WampaLord posted:

Yea, but if you're that rural, do you even have a bar you can drive to that isn't an hour away?

Probably not which is really part of the problem. Some parts of America are very sparsely populated with some super remote people. There are towns so small they can't support a bar so you have to drive or only support a little lovely one so if you want variety it's time to go elsewhere. The responsible thing to do is of course arrange a designated driver or just like drink and pass out on somebody's porch but this is 'murica! I'm not going to be the one that stays sober and has no fun, drat it! Last time we drank at my house Charlie puked on my couch, pulled down all my curtains, and cried into his cell phone drunk calling his ex for four ours. Then he got in a fight with a street sign and lost. Let's go out so the bartender has to deal with that instead.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cisgendered white women are worse than cisgendered white men.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Blue Star posted:

Cisgendered white women are worse than cisgendered white men.

They certainly yell a lot more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

well why not posted:

In Australia driving punishments are VERY severe
By what standard?

Jastiger posted:

In the United States a lot of our punitive measures ensure offenders can never really recover or move up economically. See: child support, dui, sex offenses, certain drug charges.
How is child support a punitive measure?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some parts of America are very sparsely populated with some super remote people. There are towns so small they can't support a bar so you have to drive or only support a little lovely one so if you want variety it's time to go elsewhere. The responsible thing to do is of course arrange a designated driver or just like drink and pass out on somebody's porch but this is 'murica! I'm not going to be the one that stays sober and has no fun, drat it! Last time we drank at my house Charlie puked on my couch, pulled down all my curtains, and cried into his cell phone drunk calling his ex for four ours. Then he got in a fight with a street sign and lost. Let's go out so the bartender has to deal with that instead.
Well, the obvious solution there is don't invite Charlie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

By what standard?

quote:

Australian law allow police officers to stop any driver and perform a random breath test without reason. Roadblocks can be set up (for example, leading out of town centres on Friday and Saturday nights and after football matches or other major events), where every single driver will be breath-tested.
This differs from UK and US laws where police generally need a reason to suspect that the driver is intoxicated before requesting a breath or sobriety test. It is an offence to refuse to provide a sample of breath when requested with severe penalties including prison

quote:

If you have been charged with drink driving, and it is your first offence you can expect to receive a disqualification anywhere from 3 months to 3 years depending on your reading. Novice range, special range, and low range PCA offences have an automatic suspension of 6 months, and a maximum fine of $1,100. The magistrate does have the discretion to reduce the period of suspension, but not less than 3 months.

quote:

If you have previously in the past 5 years been convicted of another major offence the penalties will be increased. A major offence includes any previous drink driving offence, and traffic offences such as driving negligently. For subsequent novice range, special range, and low range PCA offences the automatic suspension is increased to 12 months with a maximum fine of $2,200. The minimum the Magistrate can reduce the suspension is to 6 months.

quote:

High range PCA offences will be increased to a maximum fine of $5,500, and an automatic suspension of 5 years. This can only be reduced by the Magistrate to a minimum of 2 years. The Magistrate can also order a term of imprisonment for 2 years.

quote:

If you are convicted of certain drink driving offences, it is mandatory for the NSW courts to make Interlock Orders. Very few exceptions exist.

It does vary by state, but generally if you're caught over the limit (and it's easy to be caught) you lose your license for 3 - 12 months. Certain times of years (holidays, long weekends) license demerit points are doubled to make everything even more severe.

And I support it. No one has any excuse to be drunk behind the wheel. Not ever. Drinking alcohol is never necessary.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
PHUO: People who have to be drunk to have fun are sad.
PHUO 2: I hate being drunk. I love being buzzed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

You hate being wasted but love being drunk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being buzzed is overrated.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sassassin posted:

You hate being wasted but love being drunk.

I guess we need to define "drunk." Either that or most people actually love getting wasted?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
People love getting shithoused. Go to any bar around midnight if you don't believe me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

well why not posted:

It does vary by state, but generally if you're caught over the limit (and it's easy to be caught) you lose your license for 3 - 12 months. Certain times of years (holidays, long weekends) license demerit points are doubled to make everything even more severe.

And I support it. No one has any excuse to be drunk behind the wheel. Not ever. Drinking alcohol is never necessary.
I mean, I wouldn't call that "VERY severe" though. Like, not being able to drive for three months if you're caught driving drunk is about the absolute minimum I'd think of as reasonable. Less than, even. When you consider the potential harm, and the fact that the consequences (both legal and otherwise) are so well-known, there's really no excuse. If you think there's a chance you might be even slightly drunk, you shouldn't be driving, and if you do so anyway then you shouldn't be left in a position to make that mistake again.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Field Mousepad posted:

People love getting shithoused. Go to any bar around midnight if you don't believe me.

That was my interpretation. I like feeling that little burst of energy and happiness, but I hate swimming, feeling paranoid and having a hangover.

e: Bar scene being my interpretation for what drunk is, that is.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

PHUO: People who have to be drunk to have fun are sad.

Correct right here. Its fun to feel good, not feel all woozy and poo poo.

As for Tiggum, child support payments a delinquent payments can be so punitive as to ensure that neither parent can escape poverty.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

As for Tiggum, child support payments a delinquent payments can be so punitive as to ensure that neither parent can escape poverty.

How the gently caress does that work, where is the money going where both parents are somehow losing money?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't like David Lynch's stuff

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That's not unpopular

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Lynch's stuff, but I think a big reason why he refuses to "explain what things mean" is because they don't mean anything and he just films them to create an overall sense of uneasiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sitting on the curb like it's a bench makes you look like riff raff, double so if you're smoking. Also any sort of public spitting is 100% riff-raff behavior and I think singapore has the right idea about respecting public property.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like Lynch's stuff, but I think a big reason why he refuses to "explain what things mean" is because they don't mean anything and he just films them to create an overall sense of uneasiness.
Hasn't he pretty much said as much? He just films what seems spoopy scene for scene or episode to episode but don't look for some grand unifying consistency or to make total sense of his work.