Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The black is fine.

Go gold or a washed-out/distressed white instead of the purple.

The wood already has a red tint and purple s made from a tint of red so it's not going to stand out/contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I kinda need to use that shade of violet on the stencil itself. The colors don't need to contrast, they only need to mesh together in a way that doesn't actively look bad. The shade of the stain is something I have more control over, and I was wondering if it should be lighter, browner or darker or something like that.

I'm probably being a bit of a dumbass about accepting advice right now, but I'm caught up between knowing what I want but not knowing how to best do it

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Lighten the stain then. Not sure what you're using, but Minwax has dozens of shades. Find something with very little red. And if you polyurethane it, remember that adds a tint of reddish as well.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ferrule posted:

Lighten the stain then. Not sure what you're using, but Minwax has dozens of shades. Find something with very little red. And if you polyurethane it, remember that adds a tint of reddish as well.

Yeah this is turning out to be a little difficult

I'm using a color palette tool to pick out matching colors for the violet but they all look really obnoxious and difficult to look at. I would assume that the typical color theory stuff doesn't really apply if you're using 1 color as a background color. Like the complimentary color to violet is yellow, but that really doesn't work for something like stained wood, at least in my opinion. I think I want a muted and earth-toned color scheme where the frame and the lotus pop out. I can tell that a red hue background doesn't work with purple, so that basically just leaves pale shades of brown? Out of the colors I played with, one of these seems like the best compromise:

Although I'm still not sure if it's the best I can do.

Also something I've noticed is that a computerized mock-up of the colors doesn't look the same as it does in real life. As an example, here's a color scheme I used on an earlier woodworking project

To me, the colors on the box look really nice in real life. But when the base colors are copied onto the computer screen, they lose a lot of that depth and just don't look as good. So it's a little difficult to say how the finished product will look. But maybe I'm rambling on too much

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 7, 2017

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

quote is not edit

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Every computer monitor is different and none of them are 100% accurate to real life, your best bet to see how the colors would look on the finished product would be to get some IRL samples of the paints and woods you'll be using and play around with the combinations.

This type of situation is exactly why printing companies send out printing proofs for approval before printing the entire order.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah.

Along with graphic design I do a bunch of woodworking. I have a slew of wood tiles (4x4x1) of different types (pine, oak, etc) and have stained them various colors and left them raw or sealed with different polyurethanes (matte, satin, semi-, gloss, spar varnish, floor varnish, lacquer, etc) so I go to them when picking out colors or to show potential clients. I write down all the info on the back. I made them all form scrap so it's economical and all that.

Maybe consider building your own little library as well for when these things come up. It's better than using stain guides and such from stores because you know how many coats and what brush you used and all that.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I've got some stickers that I want to attach to my sun visor in my car. I've tried with a few different stickers, and they all start to gradually peel off the visor after a few hours. These are all just your typical vinyl or tacky skate shop sort of stickers, nothing special.

The visor itself is made of some sort of textured vinyl as far as I can tell. Similar to plastic, but not as smooth.

My question is- is there some sort of Hobby glue or something I can use to affix these to the sun visor? My main concern is that I hope the glue or whatever compound is translucent, so that I can remove it without a lot of residue at a future date, should I choose to do so. So some type of clear-ish glue that will help permanently affix a sticker to a vinyl-type visor.

Has anyone heard of something like this, or have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Hello everyone I'm back to talk about my project again

Is it common practice to place a graphic on the center of a surface based on the concrete borders of the art (see first pic), or based on the distribution of the paint used, if that makes any sense (second pic)

Disregard the colors, just talking about composition

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what's proper, but I personally think the 2nd one looks more balanced.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
What is the term for this style of drawing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7mpCPRmQ1c

Specifically what I want to know is if finding the form with straight lines is a named technique or style. I'm not talking about crosshatching/shading. I just mean the initial stage of the drawing where the artist is blocking in the shape.

I see it used in figure drawing too, where the figure and shadows are blocked in first. This is different from what I was taught in my figure drawing classes, where gesture and contouring was emphasized.

Sk8ers4Christ fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 19, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e: I don't know the answer to your question, so this is a worthless post!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i think it's literally called blocking in the figure, at least that's what i hear when i see it being discussed

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah, I'd call that blocking

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Minorkos posted:

Hello everyone I'm back to talk about my project again

Is it common practice to place a graphic on the center of a surface based on the concrete borders of the art (see first pic), or based on the distribution of the paint used, if that makes any sense (second pic)

Disregard the colors, just talking about composition

Just an update on my situation, I don't need help anymore. I used a program to figure out the visual center of the graphic and then adjusted it about ten percent higher to account for the human aesthetic focal point bullshit and put it on top of the surface

It was looking really good and then I painted it on with the stencil, but accidentally painted over the outer sides of the stencil in a couple of spots because it was too dark. anyway I panicked and tried to get the paint out by sanding, now the whole thing is slightly defaced so I'm going to have to strip the wood down to the stain and start over

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Subways Jared posted:

My question is- is there some sort of Hobby glue or something I can use to affix these to the sun visor? My main concern is that I hope the glue or whatever compound is translucent, so that I can remove it without a lot of residue at a future date, should I choose to do so. So some type of clear-ish glue that will help permanently affix a sticker to a vinyl-type visor.

Maybe Modge Podge? It dries tansluscent, and it's pretty good at making things stick permanently to surfaces, though I've never tried it on vinyl. It might not be easy to clean though, but I don't know of any glue that is once dried.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i think it's literally called blocking in the figure, at least that's what i hear when i see it being discussed

Thanks, that's probably it. Whenever I searched for blocking in, I got a lot of those stick figures with boxes for the torso type drawings, so I was wondering if there was a more specific term for that technique.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Here's a stupid little question:

I like to write, but I never really put anything out there. I started a blog a few weeks ago on Wordpress, just to keep myself in the habit of writing stuff. I wrote a short story that I thought was humorous, but it's already formatted nice and neat on the blog. It'd be a pain in the rear end to re-format it after copy-pasting it onto SA.

Is it bad form to submit a link to a blog? I mean, I'm sure as hell not monetizing it or getting anything out of it by views.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What's the best value for a colorimeter these days? I need IPS and TN support for sure, TFT would be nice too.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

UWBW posted:

I like to write, but I never really put anything out there. I started a blog a few weeks ago on Wordpress, just to keep myself in the habit of writing stuff. I wrote a short story that I thought was humorous, but it's already formatted nice and neat on the blog. It'd be a pain in the rear end to re-format it after copy-pasting it onto SA.

Is it bad form to submit a link to a blog? I mean, I'm sure as hell not monetizing it or getting anything out of it by views.

Do you want feedback on it? Many people prefer to give feedback when they can quote the parts of the story they are discussing. I wouldn't call it "bad form," just less likely to get read/critiqued.

I personally also wonder if it's worth my time to give feedback when you won't take the time to reformat it. That could just be me, though. Are you planning to actually make changes if people give you feedback?

If you just want people to read it, a link seems perfectly fine.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

UWBW posted:

Did you write it directly on your blog? As in, you don't have a .doc or any other file on your computer for it?

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

gmc9987 posted:

Did you write it directly on your blog? As in, you don't have a .doc or any other file on your computer for it?

I use Google docs on a chrome book, actually :v:

No files at all

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
A non-goon friend of mine is a professional artist, and is working on a Kickstarter project which is a 52-card deck made up of caricatures of various members of Trump's administration. The art is done and is amazing, and he's on the verge of getting things rolling, but he's having trouble finding a printer.

Apparently every printer he's contacted has just turned him down, saying they don't want to print something like this that could potentially be controversial or get them grief from the POTUS (or they're Trump fans and think that he shouldn't be mocking the president).

Can someone please recommend a printer who would be willing to *gasp* print something controversial? Recommendations on where else to ask would be appreciated too.

Art that will end up on the cards:

Edit: Not sure why the image won't display? R-click open in new tab works just fine?

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

China.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

He tried. No one he contacted in China wants to potentially get hosed by our orange president in some manner.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seriously? Jeez

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Seriously. I was kind of amazed and saddened myself.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A local print shop is probably his best bet. Or if he's tried them in his town, try the next town over. Or try a local art cooperative and see if anyone there is a printer or knows printers.

poo poo try one in DC, they probably print this type of stuff all the time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

kedo posted:

A local print shop is probably his best bet. Or if he's tried them in his town, try the next town over. Or try a local art cooperative and see if anyone there is a printer or knows printers.

poo poo try one in DC, they probably print this type of stuff all the time.

I'm sure that he tried local ones, but I'm not sure how far he pushed the definition of "local". Thank you for the suggestions! Anything posted here I'm going to pass along. I'm hoping to stumble into some sort of "someone knows someone who knows someone" sorta deal...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How many decks does he need? A big company like Bicycle is probably less likely to care about the subject matter than a mom and pop, assuming he can meet their minimums.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

How many decks does he need? A big company like Bicycle is probably less likely to care about the subject matter than a mom and pop, assuming he can meet their minimums.

I'm not sure, and I'm not really sure if he's sure yet, since it's a kickstarter and it could potentially take off and result in increased demand and more print runs, etc.
I'll pass along the observation--thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These are all made by Bicycle, so unless you're asking them to print stills from the piss tape, I think they'll do it.

https://www.zazzle.com/funny_dump_trump_political_cartoon_art_bicycle_playing_cards-256791419228228222

https://www.zazzle.com/funny_donald_trump_pig_political_cartoon_bicycle_playing_cards-256847009685430176

https://www.zazzle.com/notorious_dissenter_bicycle_playing_cards-256033445857640460

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Thanks a ton. That's the sort of concrete thing that might really help. :)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I can't think of any more ways to describe it for a Google search.

Remember when you were a kid in school and the teacher had those die-cut seasonal borders and decor (like for Halloween, there'd be bats and cats and pumpkins, and Valentines would have cupids, etc) for the bulletin board? I'm trying to find a stack of cardstock shaped like cats. Any idea where else to look? I've hit the local craft stores and no one understands because likely the bulletin board poo poo is ancient history.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/m/bulletin-board-border-trim/c/r4/

Bulletin board borders?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, look up teacher supplies stores, it's definitely still a vibrant (if kitsch) market. Or look specifically for scrapbooking stores if it's die cut shapes that you're looking for. You can even get stuff like the Cricut to cut your own shapes. Magical!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! Too bad the search continues, I can't find plain feline ones. A lot of cat in the hat though...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a good resource for finding new words? Like you'd type in "a tendency for inappropriate remarks" and it'd recommend stuff?

Currently, I just chase rabbits down the thesaurus hole, but that can get circuitous and lead to dead ends.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I could really use some help with something I'm trying to figure out with Photoshop CS5.

Let's say I have an image that I started with:

Then there's a 'zoomed out' version:

Is there some tool or something to help me find out by how much I need to resize the original to get the same size as the 'zoomed out' version (ie, so it would perfectly overlap)?

Oh no, and now then there's a rotated version!

Any way for me to find out how much I have to rotate the original (and around which point) to get it to perfectly overlap?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would set the overlapping layer to a lower opacity so that you can line it up manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Nessa posted:

I would set the overlapping layer to a lower opacity so that you can line it up manually.

No way to do this witout trial and error/doing it by eye?

It feels so... primitive...