Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Erpy posted:

It doesn't really elaborate on Kevin's reasoning. It could be that Kevin had enough interaction with Ouroboros as part of Estelle's group to realize that Weissmann and the society weren't messing around and use of the big guns was in order. Or it could be Kevin simply being a spiteful bastard.

It's probably a combination of Kevin wanting to try out his new toy, and Weissman being an excellent subject for it. Since if that last page is anything to go by Kevin was the person who designed the salt bolt, or at least had a hand in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That schematic was clearly authored by Kevin Glaham, not Graham.

Don't sweat it, though. Even Mr. Prezident gets the two of them mixed up.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

Kevin was only four or so when Weissmann was excommunicated. He hadn't even met the Argents yet.

If unused art from the Falcnvrt asset rip is anything to go by, Weissmann and Rufina were originally supposed to know each other. That doesn't fit the timeline in the finished game, though.

Never trust a man with tiny hands.

Actually, Kevin was around 14 when Weissmann was excommunicated. It happened in 1195, which was 7 years before the start of FC. If you take him to the Loewe battle in SC, Kevin says Rufina died 4 years ago. Depending on how long Rufina had been a member of the Church, it WOULD be possible for her to have at least met Weissmann before he was kicked out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eh what's ten years here or there

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. What, regular old knifemurder isn't holy enough for the church anymore?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Knifemurder is still fine, it just has too high of a survivability rate for their taste.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be fair, for all the Church/Kevin knew, Ouroboros may have had some way of bringing Weissman back from the dead if they had used more conventional methods to kill him.

Granted, it could very well have also been Kevin showing a sick sense of humor.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What, we're just going to shank our enemies like a common pleb? Why not lower ourselves to the use of sharp sticks or chunks of flint while we're at it?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. What, regular old knifemurder isn't holy enough for the church anymore?

Alard posted:

Knifemurder is still fine, it just has too high of a survivability rate for their taste.

Pretty much this. It's #4 and #13 on the evil overlord list:

The Evil Overlord List posted:

4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

<snip>

13. All slain enemies will be cremated, or at least have several rounds of ammunition emptied into them, not left for dead at the bottom of the cliff. The announcement of their deaths, as well as any accompanying celebration, will be deferred until after the aforementioned disposal.

If you ask me, it's the assassination equivalent of "Nuke it from orbit: It's the only way to be sure." The irony (or poetic justice or whatever the hell you want to call it) was just icing on the cake. :v:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In a universe where an ordinary janitor can get shot and still only look pale "from exhaustion", you don't wanna take any chances, especially with a guy who already teleported away when he felt cornered moments earlier and who's backed by a group who has access to Divergent Laws objects. By the time Weissmann realized what was happening, it was already too late for him to flee or do anything aside from "standing still and dying".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd love it if it was Olivier in that stone. You know he'd team up with the Lord of Phantasma just to troll his friends.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he's the one who convinced the Lordophant to say 'If only you were more darling and naive, JOSHUA BRIGHT' :bigtran:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Really Pants posted:

he's the one who convinced the Lordophant to say 'If only you were more darling and naive, JOSHUA BRIGHT' :bigtran:

Wouldn't put it past Olivier...

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

One RPG cliché that always bothers me. No matter how badly the boss gets curbstomped, we're all "omg toughest fight ever how did we do that?" :argh:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'd love it if it was Olivier in that stone. You know he'd team up with the Lord of Phantasma just to troll his friends.

Most of us would, but sadly, "Wings of White" is a pretty clear clue.

Not enough Olivier yet! :colbert:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Most of us would, but sadly, "Wings of White" is a pretty clear clue.

Sieg finally gets his chance to shine as a solo character!

Just you wait, spookyman! Once we have Julia's murderparrot on our side, nothing shall stand in our way!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

vdate posted:

Sieg finally gets his chance to shine as a solo character!

Just you wait, spookyman! Once we have Julia's murderparrot on our side, nothing shall stand in our way!

Sieg is a better character than Kloe anyway. :colbert:

... really though, these games. Even the pet bird has like, 5 or 6 portraits. It's amazing. :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always liked how this series changes the name on the textbox depending on what hat the character is wearing at the time. Kloe and Olivier add their titles and real names during that great scene just before the finale in SC, Mueller sometimes has "Major Vander", and even Julia has "Captain Schwartz" in her textbox. It's a minor detail, but it's not something you see much.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to the continuing adventures of Seig dunking on random punks in cutscenes.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Our long national nightmare is over, Sieg is back and ready for action.

Oh and I guess Kloe's there too, whatever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Super Jay Mann posted:

Our long national nightmare is over, Sieg is back and ready for action.

Oh and I guess Kloe's there too, whatever.

Time for unlimited la tearal's and la tear-alls.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This was the first time Kloe wasn't a near mainstay in my party. A ton of bosses won't hesitate to interrupt your casting, so healing is honestly best left to Tita and Kevin.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This was the first time Kloe wasn't a near mainstay in my party. A ton of bosses won't hesitate to interrupt your casting, so healing is honestly best left to Tita and Kevin.

Even in the former games, Kloe's task wasn't healing in the first place, it was posing as a healer while nuking stuff 'til it glows like an orbal lamp while leaving the heals to folks with a lesser ATS stat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I never get tired of the sight of Estelle and Josette teaming up to bully Joshua into submission. :allears:

It's a neat little touch to have Dunan and Ambassador Crainagh meet and get on friendly terms in this scene, seeing that (very minor Cold Steel 1 spoiler) the Imperial Chronicle 2 years later mentions that Dunan has become Liberl's ambassador in Erebonia, just like Crainagh is the Empire's ambassador in Liberl.

It's a shame Ries wasn't added to the cast yet by the time of this scene. I imagine she would have joined in with Estelle's and Josette's eating contest just for the hell of it. She'd probably have walked away with Josette's goggles and Estelle's hair clips afterwards. Shame on Falcom for not creating a dialogue portrait of Estelle wearing Josette's goggles, btw.

I liked how the scene played out between Kloe and Joshua. Kloe knows she has no chance and she doesn't even WANT him to say yes because of Estelle, but she still needs some closure, so she delivers a confession that's doomed before it begins. Joshua does the right thing and stamps out all false hope for Kloe, but he's obviously having difficulty rejecting her and Kloe gets revenge by playfully toying with him for her own amusement afterwards. It's also a nice moment for Kloe who shows that she's selges ahead of Josette at this point and a nice resolution for harem-like shenanigans. Scenes like these are kinda why I'm not overly fond of Cold Steel's everybody-can-love-Rean approach, even though I doubt Falcom's gonna change their bonding mechanics in later arcs.

One thing that was a bit disappointing about SC was how quickly and abruptly it ended after the final boss was defeated. In FC, you got to run around Grancel and talk to practically everybody with a dialogue portrait. In SC, you escape the crumbling Liber Ark and the credits roll almost immediately. I had kinda been hoping for a celebration afterwards, so this door filled a void that was definitely there after finishing SC.

Also, "fishermen being splashed with water" sounded sillier than it was probably meant to be, though Joshua is one of the few people I can imagine delivering that line with a completely straight face.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 19, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

Don: *munch* You're not gonna hear ME say no. All the complicated financial stuff goes right over my head, so just don't count on me there.

Heh. Speaking of my previous rant, I missed this line and its significance.

That looks weird for at least two reasons. First, I can't imagine Julia with long hair. Second, I can't imagine her out of uniform - even after having seen the whole "Sister Julia" thing. Of course, at least she looks properly unhappy being dressed up like that. :v:

Erpy posted:

I never get tired of the sight of Estelle and Josette teaming up to bully Joshua into submission. :allears:

:allears:

Erpy posted:

One thing that was a bit disappointing about SC was how quickly and abruptly it ended after the final boss was defeated. In FC, you got to run around Grancel and talk to practically everybody with a dialogue portrait. In SC, you escape the crumbling Liber Ark and the credits roll almost immediately. I had kinda been hoping for a celebration afterwards, so this door filled a void that was definitely there after finishing SC.

That was a bit of a disappointment. At least the ending credits roll gave us a bit of closure.

... although now that I'm thinking of it, I want to play a game starring Cassius as a newbie. Dude, how the gently caress did you end up befriending a Dragon?

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Given how Cassius is said to "understand the true nature of all things", I imagine that as a game protagonist, he'd be a bigger Gary Stu than people were accusing Joshua of being. :haw:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, isn't it outright said that the only reason the events of the first game even got to the point that they did was because Weissman baited him out of the country for a while?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A Cassius game would have to revolve around trolling everyone in Liberl.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, isn't it outright said that the only reason the events of the first game even got to the point that they did was because Weissman baited him out of the country for a while?

Yeah, though frankly that one was rather believable without any handwaving. Since Cassius is a former army colonel who's worshipped by many of the army's veterans and who still has tons of contacts within the Royal Army, it goes without saying he would have been able to crack the case open a lot easier and faster than Estelle and Joshua could, even without his S-ranked fighting skills and Sun Tzu-like planning abilities.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Erpy posted:

Yeah, though frankly that one was rather believable without any handwaving. Since Cassius is a former army colonel who's worshipped by many of the army's veterans and who still has tons of contacts within the Royal Army, it goes without saying he would have been able to crack the case open a lot easier and faster than Estelle and Joshua could, even without his S-ranked fighting skills and Sun Tzu-like planning abilities.

I hope Ourobouros has a Cassius committee that has to fool proof their plans against his involvment or come up with poo poo to kep him distracted so their plans go off without a hitch. Like an entire staff of people for him alone.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CVE posted:

I hope Ourobouros has a Cassius committee that has to fool proof their plans against his involvment or come up with poo poo to kep him distracted so their plans go off without a hitch. Like an entire staff of people for him alone.

Okay, we need someone to distract Cassius. Who-
Not it!
Not it.
Not it! SOOOOO not it!
Not me.
... Aidos dammit.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like how the game doesn't even bother to show us the Estelle-Joshua conversation at the end of the door because we've been with these characters long enough to know exactly how it goes down. :allears:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Junpei posted:

Cassius committee

Campanella got that job, if I recall.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Campanella got that job, if I recall.

Yeah, he and Supermaid.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

Given how Cassius is said to "understand the true nature of all things", I imagine that as a game protagonist, he'd be a bigger Gary Stu than people were accusing Joshua of being. :haw:

People were accusing Joshua of Stu-iness?
:psyduck:
:psyboom:

Did they loving miss the end of First Chapter bombshell?

Erpy posted:

Colonel Richard what are you doing?
Colonel Richard you stop this coup this instant and explain why you thought it was a good idea or Aidios help me I'll be very disappointed in you.

How Cassius would have solved the coup.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omobono posted:

Colonel Richard what are you doing?
Colonel Richard you stop this coup this instant and explain why you thought it was a good idea or Aidios help me I'll be very disappointed in you.

Richard: SENPAI YOU NOTICED ME!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Let's send Tita, Kloe, and Mueller down the Silver Road and Joshua, Josette, and Julia down the Golden Road

• Locked thread