Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

You can still like/love/adore the game and acknowledge it has flaws.

HZD has flaws, but seems different for different people.

I had a lot of trouble with the inventory system until I stopped looting everything from every animal or loot cache. The game almost break if you try to do that.
Like.... my inventory was full but I was unable to craft any type of arrow until I found that I was playing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played Rise of the Tomb Raider after Horizon (not right after) and that really kind of exposed the flaws in Rise's gameplay, not even getting to the trash fire of the Rise story. I was kind of miffed about the Xbox timed exclusive thing for Rise, but for this third Tomb Raider? Eh, I guess I'll play it eventually if there's nothing else cool on my plate

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It got leaked early by accident because someone working on the game had their laptop out on the subway with the title in full view of other passengers.

It's not super surprising, since we also know that CD is working on the Avengers game and DX was canceled.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Is the next Tomb Raider gonna be launch exclusive to MS also or will it launch everywhere at once?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Morby posted:

Is the next Tomb Raider gonna be launch exclusive to MS also or will it launch everywhere at once?

We don't know but I'd be surprised if it did.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Guw posted:

Jesus, zone 150? What track?

Empire Climb, from 2048. It's kinda one of the easier tracks for Zone mode because of all the long stretches of straights, and forgivingly smooth bends.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lobok posted:

Instead it could use a Bond-esque theme song where the title is sung. It's almost too easy to slot it into the tune of Goldfinger or Moonraker (though my personal, non-Bond choice would be to the tune of Dream Weaver "oooOOH Tooomb Raider / I believe you can find those arti-faAACTS").

What a thrill
With darkness and silence through the night
What a thrill
I'm searching and I'll melt into you
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

[Chorus]
I give my life, not for honor, but for you (Tomb Raider)
In my time, there'll be no one else
Crime, it's the way I fly to you (Tomb Raider)
I'm still in a dream, Tomb Raider

[Bridge]
Someday you go through the rain
And someday you feed on a tree frog
It's ordeal, the trial to survive
For the day we see new light

[Chorus]
(Tomb Raider...)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played Rise of the Tomb Raider after Horizon (not right after) and that really kind of exposed the flaws in Rise's gameplay, not even getting to the trash fire of the Rise story. I was kind of miffed about the Xbox timed exclusive thing for Rise, but for this third Tomb Raider? Eh, I guess I'll play it eventually if there's nothing else cool on my plate

I think the gameplay in Rise is still aight even when stacked against Horizon but if you're too accustomed to HZD's bow mechanics then I'd advise turning the sensitivity settings way down. Lara will spray that poo poo everywhere with a single thumb twitch compared to Aloy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tei posted:

HZD has flaws, but seems different for different people.

I had a lot of trouble with the inventory system until I stopped looting everything from every animal or loot cache. The game almost break if you try to do that.
Like.... my inventory was full but I was unable to craft any type of arrow until I found that I was playing wrong.

I stopped looting when I realized I had infinite money and nothing to buy. I mean, you hit that point in every game but it seemed real quick in HZD, and instead of balancing prices they gated stuff behind parts, for reasons? Id pay a shop keeper 10x what this armor is worth if he'd take it but he wants a stupid lens. Fuuuuuuuu

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

What a thrill
What a thrill
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

[Chorus]

[Bridge]

[Chorus]
(Tomb Raider...)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Collecting animal parts in Rise was less tedious than in Horizon, where you didn't always get what you needed. So removing that tired gameplay thing would be a welcome addition

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lara having daddy issues was certainly a weird direction they went. Whatever interesting character stuff they did in the first game was flushed down the toilet for that nonsense.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

RoTR is better at human fighting than HZD but shooting humans in general is boring so who cares.

The puzzle rooms are great tho, HZD didn't really try to have puzzles and the ones they have kinda suck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

an actual dog posted:

We don't know but I'd be surprised if it did.

If it was, Microsoft would make drat sure everyone knew it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bombadilillo posted:

I stopped looting when I realized I had infinite money and nothing to buy. I mean, you hit that point in every game but it seemed real quick in HZD, and instead of balancing prices they gated stuff behind parts, for reasons? Id pay a shop keeper 10x what this armor is worth if he'd take it but he wants a stupid lens. Fuuuuuuuu

There's a machine parts vendor in Meridian where you can buy all the missing hearts and stuff from.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jimbot posted:

Collecting animal parts in Rise was less tedious than in Horizon, where you didn't always get what you needed. So removing that tired gameplay thing would be a welcome addition

Lara having daddy issues was certainly a weird direction they went. Whatever interesting character stuff they did in the first game was flushed down the toilet for that nonsense.

The writer was the only person who liked the first Tomb Raider movie

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There's a machine parts vendor in Meridian where you can buy all the missing hearts and stuff from.

I know but I had way more money then I needed before I got even there in the game and couldn't buy my dumb stealth suit. I think the part had zero chance to drop before a story mission, and I killed a LOT of bellowbacks trying to get it. (maybe why I had so much drat money.)

Its almost like the games systems conditioned me to think it had lovely drops and I was supposed to be grinding. Weird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

And may that man forever be warmed by the Sun's gentle radiance :worship:.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I don't think it was necessarily a bad setup for the game, it's just that it goes absolutely nowhere for the 20 hours it takes you to get through the main campaign.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it was, Microsoft would make drat sure everyone knew it.

Rise was a flop for square they need a good launch for that series

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The inventory system is the actual villain in H:ZD.

I wouldn't have minded the crafting system if they had remembered to add raccoons to the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Morby posted:

I would be really surprised if this happened again because MS spent a ton for the last one to be a timed exclusive and I don't think that worked out too well for them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno seems like they've been throwing money at (lol) 'console launch exclusives' lately but we'll see.

After Rise I'm not playing it unless Max is back :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno seems like they've been throwing money at (lol) 'console launch exclusives' lately but we'll see.

I'm really curious to know how they squandered the good will/relationships they had through the X360's lifespan will all the third-party studios coming into the XBOne. The whole dual-platform with Windows 10 thing they want now isn't going to do them any favours either, because every single studio knows it means they probably won't get their game onto Steam (at least, anytime soon) where it'll actually make money.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pablo Gigante posted:

What a thrill
What a thrill
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

[Chorus]

[Bridge]

[Chorus]
(Tomb Raider...)

Never played Snake Eater so I'm sad I missed this! That's awesome.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

and they've been really vocal about it when they've done it. so if they haven't mentioned it already, they probably haven't done it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lobok posted:

Never played Snake Eater so I'm sad I missed this! That's awesome.

You should play it immediately, it's one of the best games ever

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
System good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Gigante posted:

You should play it immediately, it's one of the best games ever

Snake Eater is amazing to this very day, and easily the best James Bond game ever.

Suck it, Goldeneye. :colbert:

system gay. so what

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nex Machina just got a 1.03 patch rebalancing some gameplay, surely certain bosses mentioned by reviewers, and also balancing audio. 1.02 tweaked and balanced gameplay also. Looks promising with three minutes until it goes live for me.

e; game's pretty good, if you want a twin-stick topdown Resogun-like but more updated and more Eugene Jarvis this is it.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 19, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/CrashBandicoot/status/876902936755879936

The ol' costume.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

A second ad has popped up too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829UTbRnfiA

I hope he raids Nintendo HQ again. Crash never got the opportunity to match wits with Reggie because back then Reggie was working at Pizza Hut.

Edit:

Mr President fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 19, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For all of the initial praise I thought ROTTR was really disappointing. I'm not even that big on the franchise so I don't think my expectations were even that high, but I liked the first one substantially more. I can't think of a single thing Rise did that it really excelled at. Then again it wasn't terrible in any dept. either except the story which was so bad and uninteresting I frequently considered skipping cutscenes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

For all of the initial praise I thought ROTTR was really disappointing. I'm not even that big on the franchise so I don't think my expectations were even that high, but I liked the first one substantially more. I can't think of a single thing Rise did that it really excelled at. Then again it wasn't terrible in any dept. either except the story which was so bad and uninteresting I frequently considered skipping cutscenes.

I loved the reboot, Rise just didnt have the same spark. But the biggest flaw, was the snow tech.

I played it shortly after uncharted 4 and the mud/snow tech was so much better there that it just looked bad in Rise.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
reminder that Rise of the Tomb Raider literally won awards for its story and writing etc

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh sweet nex machina is launching at midnight

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does Housemarque even do sequels or do they just make a new IP for every game?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They've done like 4 or 5 Super Stardust games at this point, I think that's that only thing they've done a sequel to though

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this one has some resogun elements and seems kind of like a spiritual successor type thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm hype

Wandle Cax posted:

reminder that Rise of the Tomb Raider literally won awards for its story and writing etc

lol didn't deserve poo poo