Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

All republicans are bad because republicanism is inherently evil. Trump is also especially bad because he's making people think it's OK to be a loving Nazi in America in 2017. He's absolutely worse than Bush.

His incompetence as President is also mostly due to the fact that Ryan/McConnell are seemingly worse at their jobs than Hastert/Frist.

Barnie painting by 43, for relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

the black husserl posted:

Nah. It shows how far we've fallen.

Bush was a nightmare. Trump is the endgame. Not surprised people are looking back on Bush fondly.

Bush sent thousands of Americans to their deaths in undeeded conflict overseas. Trump tweets like a retard and has a handful of deaths that can loosely be attributed to him and his cabinet and a healthcare reform that hasn't even been voted on yet.

Let's settle down on calling Orange Cheeto Hitler worse than Bush until the death toll is at least 4 digits, thanks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

No joke, I was waiting for Team Trump to start using this defense:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/876863442791129093

And it took them, what, only 5 or 6 days to come up with it?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nazzadan posted:

Bush sent thousands of Americans to their deaths in undeeded conflict overseas. Trump tweets like a retard and has a handful of deaths that can loosely be attributed to him and his cabinet and a healthcare reform that hasn't even been voted on yet.

Let's settle down on calling Orange Cheeto Hitler worse than Bush until the death toll is at least 4 digits, thanks.

It's a good thing there are no intangible costs you're throwing away in favor of a single metric.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mr Interweb posted:

Jokes on you, I was only pretending to be under investigation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paradoxish posted:

She's a Tory, so she isn't really left-wing anything. Also she's literally a conspiracy nut at this point. Lots of Democrats started buying into her poo poo during the election, though, and here we are.

She is pretending to be left-wing info-wars, but she is really just british conservative who found a new niche market to make money.

She is a liberal/leftist in the same way as Harlan Hill (Not actually one, but plays one on TV twitter)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Pander posted:

It's a good thing there are no intangible costs you're throwing away in favor of a single metric.

A bunch of half-assed ideas he has being fought against tooth and nail by anyone not-red still doesn't make him worse than Bush.

A wall that has still yet to be built, healthcare reform that has still not come to pass, ICE deportations that are little-to-no worse than they were under Obama.

What has this retard ACTUALLY done that is on the same level of evil as W? DeVos removing trans protection legislation in public schools? I'm genuinely asking, because he still seems to have a looooong way to go before he hits W/Cheney levels.

Edit: AND if this site is to be believed he's on the fast track to impeachment, so I don't get it. Educate me because I'm clearly missing something

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jackie Rosen (Dem NV-03) has announced that she will run against Heller in 2018.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I often stop and ask myself who is going to be the monster who gets people saying "you know, Trump wasn't that bad in comparison..."

Because it's coming. Believe me.

I look forward to the inevitable global war to liberate America from Andrew Jackson's ghost inhabiting the body of The Weeknd

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Mr Interweb posted:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nazzadan posted:

What has this retard ACTUALLY done that is on the same level of evil as W?

treating the presidency not as a platform to advance your evil views, but instead as your own personal piggybank so you can alter laws to the benefit of your cronies without caring about the harm you do to fellow citizens

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

It's tough to compare eight years of Dubya to Trump's... what is it, is this year 6 of the Trump Presidency?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

Jesus Christ. He tried to do everything right. He didn't succeed every time, and he hosed up sometimes (a lot?) with some huge blindspots, but you could tell he tried and he cared.

4%.

Being black in America.

America can't remember anything.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Burt Buckle posted:

It's tough to compare eight years of Dubya to Trump's... what is it, is this year 6 of the Trump Presidency?

Technically, but he took 2019 off for golfing at Mar-A-Lago.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LaserShark posted:

Yeah, let's be honest, no goon is getting out of North Korea alive.

Not even the tankies, but that's because they'd fall in love with it and stay. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

Is she supposed to be smiling? All I'm seeing is :cenobite:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

LaserShark posted:

Yeah, let's be honest, no goon is getting out of North Korea alive.

What Kim Jong Un?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

SubponticatePoster posted:

That facial expression is what regular botox injections and deep, sharp regret look like when combined.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nazzadan posted:

A bunch of half-assed ideas he has being fought against tooth and nail by anyone not-red still doesn't make him worse than Bush.

A wall that has still yet to be built, healthcare reform that has still not come to pass, ICE deportations that are little-to-no worse than they were under Obama.

What has this retard ACTUALLY done that is on the same level of evil as W? DeVos removing trans protection legislation in public schools? I'm genuinely asking, because he still seems to have a looooong way to go before he hits W/Cheney levels.

Edit: AND if this site is to be believed he's on the fast track to impeachment, so I don't get it. Educate me because I'm clearly missing something

There's a qualitative difference between the two - Trump's agencies are deporting the very same people Obama deprioritized / put on deferral lists / etc. It's going to be a hell of a lot harder in the future to get unauthorized immigrants to come forward for Congressionally legislated programs, never mind unilateral executive actions that could just as easily be used to draw up deportation lists when the next Republican rolls around.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I have such alternative facts to show you.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nazzadan posted:

He has weakened our institutions and norms in a way that will reverberate for decades. Unless Trump gets us into a war somewhere, it will be difficult to quantify his damage in concrete terms. When some lovely thing happens 20 years from now, and our political system is too dysfunctional to handle it, you will probably be able to trace a line back to Trump blasting thru the unwritten norms of our government. I realize that is a tenuous and unprovable connection, but Trump probably has done more damage to our government and international standing than Bush, even considering the damage the Iraq war did to our international standing and the American citizens trust in their government.

Basically people who study such things have seen in their mind the end result of the things Trump has set in motion, and even if he is stopped this year by impeachment it's going to be bad.

Also, when I talk of damage, you kinda have to lump Trump and the alt-right / tea party together, since Trump rode in on them and their threat is what keeps republicans supporting Trump.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 19, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nazzadan posted:

A lot of things take time to take their toll. Bush installed a lot of idiots at every level of government, including a lot of Liberty University grads. The damage they were causing wasn't immediately apparent, but slowly unfolded itself over time. Katrina is a prime example - Brown was appointed to lead FEMA years before the disaster. And of course the NeoCons throughout his administration are largely responsible for the Iraq war, the after-effects of which continue to this day. Also the people he put in charge of the economy and financial regulation. Give Trump some time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

BlueberryCanary posted:

That facial expression is what regular botox injections and deep, sharp regret look like when combined.

I don't think they are capable of feeling regret (or any other kind of empathy)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshrogin/status/876913605781979137

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-lawyers-idUSKBN19A1CM?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just can't fathom why people will blindly follow a specific party like it's a religion. If you aren't rich what has the GOP done for you on the past 50 years?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

quote:

Andrew Weissmann, who headed the U.S. Justice Department's criminal fraud section before joining Mueller's team last month, is best known for two assignments - the investigation of now-defunct energy company Enron and organized crime cases in Brooklyn, New York - that depended heavily on gaining witness cooperation.

Trump team..... ded

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

America can't remember anything.

It boils down to nostalgia. The further away from a Presidency we get the more fondly we look back at it because we are comparing fresher wounds. Eventually Obama will settle at a much higher rating than Bush once the memory of his actual years fade and our brains start replacing them with "better times".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Obama's presidency won't become a halcyon period for America until another black person is elected.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

I just can't fathom why people will blindly follow a specific party like it's a religion. If you aren't rich what has the GOP done for you on the past 50 years?

Sanctioned your hatred of everyone different from you.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

Offered me a comforting narrative that eases my deep seated existential anxiety about my place in a changing world.
"I don't have to change with the times, everything was ok that way it was before those blacks, gays , liberals , ruined everything.".

Do you ever feel like things are going to hell and you have no place in the world? What if I could tell you why its happening and offer a solution if you will only follow me? How much is that worth to you?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Do you ever feel like things are going to hell and you have no place in the world? What if I could tell you why its happening and offer a solution if you will only follow me? How much is that worth to you?

You can have my health insurance, working wages, and unions, just please validate my racism and homophobia.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Offered me a comforting narrative that eases my deep seated existential anxiety about my place in a changing world.
"I don't have to change with the times, everything was ok that way it was before those blacks, gays , liberals , ruined everything.".

Also once you've internalized your otherizing of political opponents (through oversimplification of their positions, for example) it's hard to even acknowledge that there might be valid reasons for those beliefs, let alone jumping changing your own positions to match theirs.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

So the president is now one of those "it's just a prank, bro" youtube trolls.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

She's in the middle of a sentence.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Is Louise Mensch accurate or is she left-wing infowars

Louise Mensch is the new disinformation tactic: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/16/fake-news-sites-reports-facts-louise-mensch

tl;dr she reports some real stuff amidst a deluge of mis/dis-information, just like a proper disinformation campaign should. This is more subtle and nefarious than infowars because it often can't be dismissed out of hand.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So any last polls for Georgia?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Louise Mensch is the new disinformation tactic: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/16/fake-news-sites-reports-facts-louise-mensch

tl;dr she reports some real stuff amidst a deluge of mis/dis-information, just like a proper disinformation campaign should. This is more subtle and nefarious than infowars because it often can't be dismissed out of hand.

What is the goal of her disinformation campaign? Is it literally to generate clicks and make money, or is there something more sinister?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So any last polls for Georgia?

I asked my dog what Ossoff's odds of winning are, he said "ruff"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

Jackie Rosen (Dem NV-03) has announced that she will run against Heller in 2018.

He's very vulnerable, nobody here likes him. Reid took most of the heat while lots of people mostly ignored Heller, but he's getting raked through the coals over his healthcare vote and lying about Planned Parenthood funding. He tried to chicken out of his town hall with some bullshit " conference call town hall" where you could listen in over the phone and he would answer pre-packaged questions.

gently caress him and Amodei, I'm like half a mile from not being in that toad fuckers congressional district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

We'll all be eating crow when it turns out Flynn is the good guy and has been playing the long game to take down Trump :obama:

His son is probably balls deep in all this too. That is absurd leverage.

• Locked thread