Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Abathur needs a rework. Slug has too many useless / unattractive talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Paranoid Peanut posted:

His last rework was because his talents made his hat "too powerful" and it encouraged people to be hatted all game.

So, in the rework, they nerfed all of his hat talents and then moved them to different tiers from the pushing talents.

Now, you still pick his hat talents for the first 13 levels, but they are just weaker.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His last rework was because his talents made his hat "too powerful" and it encouraged people to be hatted all game.

So, in the rework, they nerfed all of his hat talents and then moved them to different tiers from the pushing talents.

Now, you still pick his hat talents for the first 13 levels, but they are just weaker.

gently caress the hat, mine build 24/7.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nephzinho posted:

gently caress the hat, mine build 24/7.

Mines aren't that good anymore. Plus, there are only mine talents on three tiers. You still end up going the same skills for most of the tiers and Monstrosity still doesn't have a legitimate level 20 talent.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was extremely disappointed to hear Anubarak has some dumb hissy voice instead of his cool TFT voice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mines aren't that good anymore. Plus, there are only mine talents on three tiers. You still end up going the same skills for most of the tiers and Monstrosity still doesn't have a legitimate level 20 talent.

Yes, but you place all the mines in a spot and bait people into it. Why else play Aba?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The good build for Abathur now is locusts, right?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Yes, but you place all the mines in a spot and bait people into it. Why else play Aba?

Still more fun to place them all over the map chokes when there is a zeratul or nova on the enemy team. Much glee as you see their icon pop up in random spots of the map all game long

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tender Bender posted:

I was extremely disappointed to hear Anubarak has some dumb hissy voice instead of his cool TFT voice.

I can't remember who, but some other hots hero sounds a lot like TFT Anubarak. Is it Azmodan?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Anub'arak has had three or four different voice actors over the years but his TFT incarnation was (I'm pretty sure) voiced by Steve Blum, who sounds Quite Similar when he's being Abathur.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

How do you figure? I have a buddy who's an Abathur main and he swears that Abathur has at least four distinct builds, which doesn't exactly scream "useless / unattractive talents" to me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Power Bottom posted:

How do you figure? I have a buddy who's an Abathur main and he swears that Abathur has at least four distinct builds, which doesn't exactly scream "useless / unattractive talents" to me.

My main issue is that you can't play every hero on every map, but every map is in Quick play. If my friends and I go into Quick Play with a good comp and then get Braxis Holdout, guess what? I'm hosed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Not every hero is meant to be played on every map, especially the weirdoes like Abathur and The Lost Vikings. That's why HOTS has multiple maps.

Not every team composition is going to work on every map, especially when you're doing a blind pick of the battleground you're going into. That's why HOTS has multiple draft modes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

bake in half of Holy Ground.

This definitely needs to happen, along with a talent overhaul to remove generic talents and something to make his his E and W feel less like wet farts.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Power Bottom posted:

Not every hero is meant to be played on every map, especially the weirdoes like Abathur and The Lost Vikings. That's why HOTS has multiple maps.

Not every team composition is going to work on every map, especially when you're doing a blind pick of the battleground you're going into. That's why HOTS has multiple draft modes.

IMO they should change quick match to a single pre-defined map that rotates daily, which would solve a whole bunch of problems. QM would be so much better.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Yes, but you place all the mines in a spot and bait people into it and your low HP teammate deliberately runs the long way around them while he's being chased by Valeera. Why else play Aba?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

nerf genji and buff chen

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Turns out when pros hunt into the middle of the enemy team it's still bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Shortest Path posted:

IMO they should change quick match to a single pre-defined map that rotates daily, which would solve a whole bunch of problems. QM would be so much better.

Holy poo poo jesus christ what? gently caress that. Jesus!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
That was a good-rear end series of games

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Macaluso posted:

I can't loving wait for Hanamura Tuesdays

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It would avoid the situation of players picking characters that end up garbage on the map that they get randomed into. If you don't like the daily map, you can just not play qm that day and not have to worry about it on later days, instead of hoping you don't get randomed into a lovely one like Hanamura or Mines. Draft will still be random, so you have options for variety.

What are the downsides to this?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It would avoid the situation of players picking characters that end up garbage on the map that they get randomed into. If you don't like the daily map, you can just not play qm that day and not have to worry about it on later days, instead of hoping you don't get randomed into a lovely one like Hanamura or Mines. Draft will still be random, so you have options for variety.

"just not play that day" is an awful solution

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm giving this idea, The Shortest Path...Right to my toilet!!

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

The complete lack of variety if you play more than a single game a day.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

"just not play that day" is an awful solution

Pesterchum posted:

The complete lack of variety if you play more than a single game a day.

You can still play draft or brawls or ranked, though.

Or, hell, have this be another mode in addition to random qm.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Plenty of people play quick match since it lets them spam a character to learn / get xp. This likely means noticably fewer players on bad map days (hanamura day, bhb day, etc), and people outright losing interest in the game.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
People play a max of 2 games a day from then on?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I don't want to log in on a day off and get like Braxis Holdout as the only map option in quick match. I'd just straight up not play that day cause that map is trash. I'm sure everyone has similar feelings about certain maps. Blizzard shouldn't encourage people to just NOT play

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I'm giving this idea, The Shortest Path...Right to my toilet!!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Abathur builds: mines, locusts, hat1, hat2. Good builds: locusts, hat1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

You realize many if not most players only play qm, right? You don't want to push unwilling players into more competitive modes.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ah yes saturday afternoon, my only chance to play some hots... oh wait it's hanamura day guess I'll never play this stupid poo poo game.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The solution here appears to be to fix Hanamura

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

You realize many if not most players only play qm, right? You don't want to push unwilling players into more competitive modes.

Arguably, QM players are likely dwarfed by AI - only players.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Semper Fudge posted:

The solution here appears to be to fix Hanamura

Pretty much, yeah.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

Most heroes have several situational builds, but for some reason this thread is obsessed with the One Build To Rule Them All.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I miss beta abathur, where I could basically win a match on my own by ignoring my team

Power Bottom posted:

I build either for locusts, or if the matchmaking fucks my team out of a real healer, heals.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tyreal has real potential in being The Knockback Tank™ where his Q and E slap people around. It'd make his dive game a lot stronger, his kit would become a lot more interactive, and player skill would more directly correlate with how effective of a Tank he is. I know for sure I'd trade Smite's speed booster for a knockback effect and shove the boost under a talent somewhere.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to log in on a day off and get like Braxis Holdout as the only map option in quick match. I'd just straight up not play that day cause that map is trash. I'm sure everyone has similar feelings about certain maps. Blizzard shouldn't encourage people to just NOT play

One map a day would get really stale, even if you only play for an hour.

I don't hate any of the maps, and if QM dumps me in one that's "bad" for my character I don't really care. Abathur and TLV are really outliers, most of the time you can still do fine with a tweak in your talent picks and strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I dunno what that patch note about lowering personal rank adjustments was because I'm like 20 games into the new season, just under 50% win rate and already at -6 per game. Just get rid of this garbage poo poo.