Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bip Roberts posted:

We did logo in elementary school and it was good imo

That little turtle owned, yeah.

Ed Balls loved that little turtle so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/876923895424659456

good

when they go low we go lower~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if dems were half as nefarious as the gop made them out to be, poo poo would certainly be interesting

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

I dunno, I could see it as a minor part of the math curriculum. I mean, hell, we're not too far from the days when wood shop or home ec were requirements--a bit of dabbling in BASIC or something might be a good idea.

Haha okay, Bill Gates :agesilaus:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
skipping posts in a hope that the thread has gotten less bad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we did logo too but I'd really like to learn python or something so I can scrape data from spreadsheets and stuff.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Reality Winner posted:

the coding or the other part

both lol

u mentioned u work at a machine shop, u do the CnC machines? 'programming' cnc machines thats a cool way to a middle class lifestyle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bip Roberts posted:

We did logo in elementary school and it was good imo

i was made to do lego logo one summer and it gave me the autism i needed for my technical job today

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

beware unintended consequences. i think the conspiritization of the right has actually made the right more vulnerable to being manipulated by actual conspiracies. if you believe the world is a conspiracy, you're more likely to participate in a conspiracy -- because that's how the world works, right?

u can see the same logic now where both the right and left justify alinskyite tactics because politics is "war." it culminated in the right outsourcing domestic dirty tricks to foreign intelligence.

IMO i can also imagine liberals copying these tactics. might already be going on with western european intelligence agencies.

conspiracy theorists never believe actual conspiracies, so they're hilariously vulnerable to being duped despite how they like to think of themselves as the only aware person

we still got people in this thread being like "lol russia hoax"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn posted:

it was good until you strted posting again

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/876923895424659456

good

when they go low we go lower~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

finally

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bump_fn posted:

In the suk zone every post is a gem

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Agronox posted:

I dunno, I could see it as a minor part of the math curriculum. I mean, hell, we're not too far from the days when wood shop or home ec were requirements--a bit of dabbling in BASIC or something might be a good idea.

Home ec and wood shop should still be requirements. Some kids will never get a chance to use a lathe in their entire life if it isn't required, and that's sad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm fine with schools teaching coding, but don't think it should be part of a national curriculum requirement, which is fine since the US doesn't have those

we do need more logic and debate classes so that kids get trained in the critical skill of defeating people by their own logic in online forums

Serf
May 5, 2011

watching the dog and pony show of the gop vs the dems is kinda hilarious. two teams owned by the same people is basically entertainment

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

missed opportunity, should have replaced guts with balls after scalise imo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

I'm fine with schools teaching coding, but don't think it should be part of a national curriculum requirement, which is fine since the US doesn't have those

we do need more logic and debate classes so that kids get trained in the critical skill of defeating people by their own logic in online forums

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Agronox posted:

I suspect the reason that they still make students use TI-84+s during exams is so that they'll dabble in BASIC on their own, that has to be the only reason

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Joementum posted:

mandatory decartes devouring

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/markfollman/status/876926279768866816

:thunk:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Joementum posted:

On the other hand, you're stupid.

Didn't need any schooling for that ownage.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

holy gently caress a bear got the remote control

:getin:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/876921723366539264

(((IMAGINE MY SHOCK)))

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

should teach logic coding

(like (lisp))

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

jobs week is over

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/876926556693712896

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

:drat:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Are you a bad enough dude to enter Mishka's Kafkaesque shadow realm?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gringostar posted:

missed opportunity, should have replaced guts with balls after scalise imo

yah

he stayed in the twilight zone

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Joementum posted:

like 99% of programming jobs are loving miserable bullshit. it can pay well if you're in the right market or niche but is absolutely nothing like what they try to make it out to be with code.org et al

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

:rip:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JOBS JOBS JOBS

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

gurf morlix

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo winning the information war, or building up enough information weapons so that MAD starts to apply will take alot of money and work

I don't think in a free / open society you can defend against information weapons, but you can make it so anyone using IW on you will get a retaliation either kinetic or IW.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah but Trump personally opened that coal mine, bing bing bong so many jobs :smugdon:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Joementum posted:

coding should not be a requirement in school

not only should it, it should also be a competitive sport and kids should be able to letter in coding

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

triple sulk posted:

like 99% of programming jobs are TRUMP

wow that's worth a lot of electoral votes

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

triggered yet libs, i say on my way to collect unemployment

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol, but but the :laffo: curve said we just had to wait!!!!!!????

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shugojin posted:

JEBS! JEBS! JEBS!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i mean we teach loving baseball to middle schoolers, there's no brain left to damage after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the push for teaching kids programming is strictly to drive down absurd wages in two cities, that's literally it

there are more than enough programmers already and that there are tons of jobs/more jobs than there are available workers is an absolute lie

kids coming out of cs programs in a few years are going to have a laughably difficult time finding work in a field that demands already having experience

• Locked thread