Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mormonpartyboat posted:

not only should it, it should also be a competitive sport and kids should be able to letter in coding

i went to a magnet school where you could letter in a foreign language or radio (we had a light jazz station on campus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bump_fn posted:

skipping posts in a hope that the thread has gotten less bad

same skipping 90 pages giving no fucks

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i learned how to code in public school and it was dumb and useless and i didn't pursue it as a career, that's my story

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Joementum posted:

coding should not be a requirement in school

Coding shouldn't be a requirement

Logic (mathematical or philosophy) should be

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
imagine a game like baseball where the only purpose of it existing is to go out in a field and be drunk and yell at people over insanely stupid grudges

but you're 12 and have to behave or you'll fail your school class

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R5ShDS5nxE

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/876927240235360257

haha trumps new lawyer dissed him on twitter

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

"jorbs" that homestar runner dude

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i went to a magnet school where you could letter in a foreign language or radio (we had a light jazz station on campus)

wtf does a magnet school looks like in Louisiana anyway? 95% white kids?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Rocks posted:

i learned how to code in public school and it was dumb and useless and i didn't pursue it as a career, that's my story

learning anything but basic typing skills in school is useless since schools can't keep enough modern machines for students

unless you're in a rich (re: white) as gently caress district

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This album is very C-Spam

I think Baloogan would like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPRa6IDMxD8

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

H5N1 posted:

I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gringostar posted:

learning anything but basic typing skills in school is useless since schools can't keep enough modern machines for students

unless you're in a rich (re: white) as gently caress district

lol you could use dell desktops from fifteen years ago to teach kids about the basic logic of programming and lots of poor schools have chromebooks/ipads through federal programs

like i'm not saying coding in schools is a platonic ideal or anything but it could be done if people wanted to do it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

The Glumslinger posted:

if ur gonna go that route just have a bullshit class

like literally you just look at ads and political statements and cell phone contracts and poo poo like that and see how bullshit is made

~logic~ is for nerds and should be jammed into a locker

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
teaching logic to divine the truth is like teaching statistics to predict the future

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
logic courses would help with the cultivation of our precious STEM-slave future though. might even get a lawyer or two out of it.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/876896864582291458

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

all business degrees should mandate a double major in political science

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
has there been any mattering today

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
[quote="“triple sulk”" post="“473557551”"]
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/876899797994790912

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/876899886272319489
[/quote]

both deleted

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

anime was right posted:

has there been any mattering today

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Somebody teach poor Flynn how to manage his airline and cc points properly. I bet he could get a companion ticket and a real hotel without much effort.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

wanna be that rat

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also, chud parents freak out over having their kids learn common core because it exposes their own dumb rear end knowledge

you think they'll let you teach kids programming?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Gringostar posted:

also, chud parents freak out over having their kids learn common core because it exposes their own dumb rear end knowledge

prgoramming = liberace lies.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Weaponized Information is such a fascinating concept. And we're a generation behind Russia in understanding it.

how many backdoors into the electric grid will be used to affect turnout in 2020

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

mormonpartyboat posted:

if ur gonna go that route just have a bullshit class

like literally you just look at ads and political statements and cell phone contracts and poo poo like that and see how bullshit is made

~logic~ is for nerds and should be jammed into a locker

That would be a class on rhetoric and those classes own.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What Might Have Been :sigh:

https://twitter.com/BrianKiddsMate/status/876906958590226432

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Squizzle posted:

how many backdoors into the electric grid will be used to affect turnout in 2020

all of them

the whole loving grid is made of backdoors.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Gringostar posted:

dad! i need help with this math homework!

you don't need math, kid
god made the world, and we just live in it!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gringostar posted:

also, chud parents freak out over having their kids learn

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Coding shouldn't be a requirement

some kinda systems analysis class would be sweet. 99% of it could be loving around with computer simulations

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

If Trump does actually start a nuclear war and I survive I'm going on a quest to find a working computer so I can call Baloogan a "nuclear cuck" on C-SPAM because most of us aren't dead

imo the likelist nuclear war is like, at most, 10 or so strikes on airbases and then a descalation

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Symbolic logic classes own too. I loved doing truth tables and testing the validity of syllogisms, but they are pretty abstract and I didn't seemany students applying what they were Lear in to argumentation.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Admiral Ray posted:

all of them

the whole loving grid is made of backdoors.

lol

we are never having a legitimately elected prez again, just lol

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

Its kinda scary thinking that the CIA is gunning for the POTUS. That alone is a major win... from certain perspectives.

sure, bobby
e: or do i mean lyndon :thunk:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

imo winning the information war, or building up enough information weapons so that MAD starts to apply will take alot of money and work

I don't think in a free / open society you can defend against information weapons, but you can make it so anyone using IW on you will get a retaliation either kinetic or IW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trLbb0Ucyy4

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Geoscience isn't taught in schools, and though you can't found a geology startup, the jobs with it pay just as well (up to $40,000 with a bachelor's), and it applies to a myriad number of political issues (climate, environmental issues, shortages of water and other natural resources, peak oil). The problem is that you need a car to use it, and the federal grants and loans won't cover the required $1200 field camp course, which is probably why in my experience it skews toward students from middle-to-upper-class backgrounds. At the annual Rock Bowl camping trip, where geology students from across the state compete in events like the rock ID, the fossil ID, quiz bowl, geode roll and rock hammer throw, there was only one black guy out of 100 students. Also people commonly talk about things like "backpacking through Ireland" that just makes me want to vomit

so yeah, probably a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

wanna be that rat

that rat won't live to see the end of trumps first term

• Locked thread