Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

Hello thread this is from my friend's cell phone while walking around town.

Do you have non‐Euclidean stairs in your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

The whole thing is ...oddly ungraceful and disturbing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

peanut posted:

The looks like the sad little house from Brokeback Mountain

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Do you have non‐Euclidean stairs in your house?

Definitely getting a sort of Lovecraftian Dreams in the Witch House feeling about that place.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Y'all are gonna be pretty surprised when that house stands up on its chicken legs and walks away.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Y'all are gonna be pretty surprised when that house stands up on its chicken legs and walks away.

Thank you, glad I'm not the only one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Central air? Not bad...

:golfclap:

Took me a while.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bad Munki posted:

:golfclap: A smilie of the bastard spawn of Groverhaus and Baba Yaga's hut would rock

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Who was there first, do you think?

I'm betting on the planter, and the utility put a new pole in and didn't want to put in an XARM so drilled a hole through the brick.

My foot in the door in telecom was in outside plant with my dad. No question that anchor was there first and someone built around it. You couldn't install the "Preformed" http://www.sherrilltree.com/preformed-3-8in-dead-end-guy-splice-orange in that situation. Messenger strand is too stiff, with the Preformed on there makes it much stiffer. You would never be able to feed it through a hole drilled with such little clearance between the anchor rod and the wall.

Plus,(assuming this is in the USA) no utility crew would bother. They have an easement and a jackhammer. Your little wall can suck it. If they ever have to add another guy wire there, that wall will have the corner busted off of it without a second thought.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: They have an easement and a jackhammer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Centurylink is running fiber in my area amd hired yhe laziest loving contractors to run what looks like steel cables for it to run along. These guys were just loving around any time the boss wasn't watching. They also added some guy wires for some poles, including one directly in front of our neighbor's house. They sunk their anchor thingie within a foot of the locate marks for her sewer line with predictable results. Of course nome of them could speak English when approached about it (even though they were swearing in English their entire workday).

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 19, 2017

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Bad Munki posted:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man we should probably keep London Contractors away from robotics.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

therobit posted:

Centurylink is running fiber in my area amd hired yhe laziest loving contractors to run what looks kike steel cables for it to run along. These guys were just loving around any time the boss wasn't watching. They also added some guy wires for some poles, including one directly in front of our neighbor's house. They sunk their anchor thingie within a foot of the locate marks for her sewer line with predictable results. Of course nome of them could speak English when approached about it (even though they were swearing in English their entire workday).

What red lines under my words? loving lazy rear end foreigners

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I was going to say, I hope that's a typo and not autocorrect running with his most used words.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Nah, I'm normally pretty understanding if people have language difficulties but these guys absolutely could speak fluent English. Them being lazy as poo poo has nothing to do with them being foreign, they just happened to try and use language as a way to get out of resposibility for thier fuckup. They should have hand excavated that close to the markings.

Sorry about the typo, I only ever phone post and my phone is poo poo.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i fixed the typo

the quality of other opinions is left as a judgement for the reader

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
diy pool

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Welp, there go my balls

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How much are balconies typically rated for? And does anyone want to make an educated guess to how much water there is in that picture? :allears:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's a lot of weight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

How much are balconies typically rated for? And does anyone want to make an educated guess to how much water there is in that picture? :allears:

I'd say around a ton, maybe even 1500 kg.

e: 800 kg at the least. Judging by the height of the doorway the balcony is at least 2½ m long.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

assuming (im ignoring the weird diagonal corners mind you)

the balcony being 17 feet by 5 feet filled with 3 feet of water(ish) most likely less given the halfass nature of it so lets say half 255/2 127.5

thats 7959.56 pounds of water

gently caress all that.

src: aquarium nerd

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wait how they gonna empty it?

i mean other than literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sneakyfrog posted:

Haha, as if they thought of such paltry concepts as "the near future"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

Cut a hole in the tarp under the bottom of the railing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

By puncturing the plastic in the gap between the floor and the railing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or use a siphon and be patient.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats like almost 20 goons (assuming 400 pound average) weight! :aaaaa:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Why would they even need the siphon? A little patience and the balcony will empty itself into the balcony below it

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

That's actually a thing if properly engineered.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going to go with 0 chance of that being the case here, though arguably fantastic construction given that it hasn't failed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sneakyfrog posted:

assuming (im ignoring the weird diagonal corners mind you)

the balcony being 17 feet by 5 feet filled with 3 feet of water(ish) most likely less given the halfass nature of it so lets say half 255/2 127.5

thats 7959.56 pounds of water

gently caress all that.

src: aquarium nerd

I knew if I thought hard enough, someone would do the math for me :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If the door is 2 m high, I judge the balcony at about 3 m by 1 m (but the angle is a little tricky and gently caress trying to normalise the whole thing).

I’m going to say the window sill is 0.8 m above the floor. Judging by the empty balcony below, the water is 40% of that deep, or 0.32 m.

That works out to almost exactly a cubic metre of water, or one tonne.

Which is a lot less than I expected.

fakeedit: I don’t think the balcony is seventeen by five feet, but my methodology is bad and it little difference in each of the linear measurements makes a big difference in volume.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What the hell is holding that up in front of the door

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

What the hell is holding that up in front of the door

A piece of plywood particle board.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

If the door is 2 m high, I judge the balcony at about 3 m by 1 m (but the angle is a little tricky and gently caress trying to normalise the whole thing).

I’m going to say the window sill is 0.8 m above the floor. Judging by the empty balcony below, the water is 40% of that deep, or 0.32 m.

That works out to almost exactly a cubic metre of water, or one tonne.

Which is a lot less than I expected.

fakeedit: I don’t think the balcony is seventeen by five feet, but my methodology is bad and it little difference in each of the linear measurements makes a big difference in volume.

I think this is close (I'd guess the balcony is 12 feet by 3.5 or 4 feet). I don't think it's really as deep as it seems because of the angle. I'm guessing about 400 gallons at the max which would be 3320 pounds. I think it's probably closer to 300 gallons/2500 pounds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

From what I could tell, that's some scaffolding, with some 2xs resting against the scaffolding, a ladder resting on the 2xs, and another ladder resting on the first ladder.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh i was going by cubic feet of water but eh, whatevs. :shrug: i might have oversized the balcony i was assuming each section of short glass being 3 feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

sneakyfrog posted:

Uh, pull down a corner of the tarp and let it waterfall out? Not that difficult to do...