Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

TildeATH posted:

Indonesia is uninhabitable at 3.7C?

These temperatures are not immediately deadly, they just tend to cause significant excess deaths. Much like how 70 000 excess people died during the 2003 heat wave in Europe. Not everyone died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

Depends on your threshold for "uninhabitable" but 350 days a year of what has in the past proven deadly (the map quoted is integrated with the site https://maps.esri.com/globalriskofdeadlyheat/ that you can play with) is uh... inimical to habitation, yes.

If you hit "About" on that website you can see the methodology by which they derive "deadly". As Flowers says it's just "in the past, people have died a lot at these conditions".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

TildeATH posted:

For all those lazy posters, this is their definition of deadly

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What we need is dehumidifiers.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Humans have a wide variety of technological solutions, whole lotta other species are going extinct :(

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Rastor posted:

Humans have a wide variety of technological solutions, whole lotta other species are going extinct :(

A whole fuckton of humans will be joining those extinct species.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Rastor posted:

There's no practical technical solution to heat/humidity going past the human heat transfer threshold in a population center. If going outside without air conditioning means entering a literally unlivable environment whenever there's a heat wave, then the town/city in question is simply going to disappear.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's no practical technical solution to heat/humidity going past the human heat transfer threshold in a population center. If going outside without air conditioning means entering a literally unlivable environment whenever there's a heat wave, then the town/city in question is simply going to disappear.

There are however behavioral responses that mitigate harm. Modern regions exposed to seasonally dangerous average temperatures shift activity away from noon and towards nighttime.

This is not theoretical. In places like Iraq it is already the status quo in summer. If minimum temperatures were to shift towards something unlivable now then you'd have a problem.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I burned some dead leaves in my backyard this past weekend.

Doing my part! :patriot:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rastor posted:

Even ferns are starting to die off around seattle, according to a blurb I saw in the paper today.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Squalid posted:

There are however behavioral responses that mitigate harm. Modern regions exposed to seasonally dangerous average temperatures shift activity away from noon and towards nighttime.

This is not theoretical. In places like Iraq it is already the status quo in summer. If minimum temperatures were to shift towards something unlivable now then you'd have a problem.

I've been to the tropics with high humidity 34°C at night.

Shifting that a couple degrees upwards is exactly the problem I'm talking about.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I've been to the tropics with high humidity 34°C at night.

Shifting that a couple degrees upwards is exactly the problem I'm talking about.

I was going to say something skeptical but then I looked at the climate in Dallol, Ethiopia, the place with the highest average temperature, and their average lows in July are 31.8 C so, yeah not much room for that to increase safely.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
This is not great... and it's still mostly due to Antarctic sea ice, as the Arctic still ranked 4th yesterday in sea ice extent. Unlike last year, this year has not once been within 2 sigma (it did get really close the second week of May):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 20, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The study linked up-thread is interesting, they applied a machine learning technique (SVM) on a set of temperature/rH input data for a set of cities labelled by whether people died from heatwaves. Incidence of heatwave casualties, not magnitude so people pointing at red zones as death zones are overstating what the authors are pointing out.

Also, the training set is almost entirely from European and NA cities which makes generalization to other regions questionable, and the marking of wide swathes of the subtropics red as of 2010.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What do you experts think about the climate leadership council's proposal on tax & dividend? Good idea? Politically feasible? Sounds like it is developing a diverse group of supporters although the cheeto in chief would probably never get behind it.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

spf3million posted:

What do you experts think about the climate leadership council's proposal on tax & dividend? Good idea? Politically feasible? Sounds like it is developing a diverse group of supporters although the cheeto in chief would probably never get behind it.

https://www.clcouncil.org/founding-members/

yeah here's an idea this group will never do anything whatsoever to change because they all make/made billions

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

spf3million posted:

It's this part that kind of gives the game away:

quote:

4. SIGNIFICANT REGULATORY ROLLBACK
The final pillar is the elimination of regulations that
are no longer necessary upon the enactment of a rising
carbon tax whose longevity is secured by the popularity
of dividends. Much of the EPA’s regulatory authority
over carbon dioxide emissions would be phased out,
including an outright repeal of the Clean Power Plan.
Robust carbon taxes would also make possible an end to
federal and state tort liability for emitters.
To build and
sustain a bipartisan consensus for a regulatory rollback
of this magnitude, the initial carbon tax rate should
be set to exceed the emissions reductions of current
regulations.

It's literally an attempt to bribe the American public into rolling back industry regulations disguised as a climate plan. Carbon taxes are worth discussing (although they have serious problems if they're implemented on a nation-by-nation basis), but the Climate Leadership Council's plan is about what you'd expect.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 20, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If you have never experienced 50+ degrees Celsius in either a dry or wet heat, it's probably hard to imagine why that is deadly. Dry, you cannot enter the sun, it is like someone is running a blowtorch across your skin and the air itself is painful to breathe. Wet, it is the same, but your body also cannot use evaporative cooling to regulate temperature.

The difference between 45/ish and 50 degrees is unfathomable. Dry heat is uncomfortable and dangerous, wet heat kills. The red places of that map have a high relative humidity in their climate, put the two together.

It is not sustainable for human life to survive in those conditions without modern conveniences, a shift to that climate is one of the major reasons why the cradle of civilization is a blasted wasteland now.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 21, 2017

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
The only solution is mass suicide

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

The status quo is mass suicide

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Buy stock in companies who formerly produced landmines and still have the tooling, pretty much.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Buy stock in companies who formerly produced landmines and still have the tooling, pretty much.

In the grim, dark future Lady Di collectible plates will be our currency

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Thanks for all the very informative posts guys. We've finally obtained our Canadian PR visas and are landing next month. The information I've read in this thread and in other places has played a pretty large role in our decision to make sure we have a future outside of a developing country.

Sad thing is people here (Brazil) would think I'm nuts if I told them that climate change was that important of a factor in our decision. Even here in the capital, where we're going into our second year of weekly water rationing. There's just no way the governments down here are prepared for what's coming.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Even at 100-110 dry heat, air conditioning really struggles and also leads to more a/c burning more fuel. hooray!

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

Even at 100-110 dry heat, air conditioning really struggles and also leads to more a/c burning more fuel. hooray!

No one outside of the US understands your non SI units.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BattleMoose posted:

No one outside of the US understands your non SI units.

43.33c

I say chaps, it feels like forty-three point three three repeating degrees today.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Choose! Choose the form of the Destructor!

https://twitter.com/ashonashs2/status/877221612877230082

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Looks like a kettle to me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I'd prefer a dog iceberg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hippo about to eat you.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Feds see Lake Mead levels to be 20-feet lower in 2019
https://kdminer.com/news/2017/jun/18/feds-see-lake-mead-levels-be-20-feet-lower-2019/

Bad news for American Southwest

quote:

The sensational news about record-setting snowpack in the Sierra Nevada of California and “atmospheric rivers” delivering over 1,000 percent of normal winter rainfall to Big Sur has disguised a much less-than-sensational record of winter moisture elsewhere in the West, according to the Arizona Department of Water Resources.

The winter snowpack on the western slopes of the Rockies – the source moisture for the Colorado River – is producing much less runoff than had been anticipated.

As a result, the federal Bureau of Reclamation now is predicting that Colorado River releases from Lake Powell into Lake Mead will be far lower than what the Bureau had anticipated in March of this year.

Indeed, the bureau now is predicting a huge drop in Lake Mead inflows from those predicted just a month ago.

According to BOR’s June 24-Month Study, projected flows into Lake Mead most likely will result in water levels 20 feet lower on January 1, 2019 than the bureau had estimated in its 24-Month Study released in May.

The May 24-Month Study prepared by BOR (based on the Colorado River Basin Forecast Center’s water supply forecast) concluded that on January 1, 2019, Lake Mead’s depth likely would be 1,096.77 feet.

Just one month later, the Bureau now is projecting Lake Mead’s surface level on that date at 1,076.53 feet, literally inches above the level that would trigger automatic delivery cutbacks, mostly to central Arizona’s allotment of Colorado River water.

On top of that the less water in Lake Mead the lower the pressure of the water moving the turbines. Which means less electricity generated. The Hoover Dam will cease generating power at 950 feet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, RIP.

It's not like Phoenix has been a byword for hubris for 30 years.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, RIP.

It's not like Phoenix has been a byword for hubris for 30 years.

Phoenix has a two-punch combo of seniors and pavement that will boil an egg that just never fails to disappoint.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's so hot in Phoenix that mailboxes are melting

Paint on street signs too

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

enraged_camel posted:

We need to ban things from melting, to stop the Obamocrat lie of climate change.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Related: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/23/arizona-heatwave-homeless-phoenix I can't imagine what happens if the power grid fails...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

xrunner posted:

Related: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/23/arizona-heatwave-homeless-phoenix I can't imagine what happens if the power grid fails...

Bunch of boomers might die?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Phoenix was too hot a few days ago for planes to take off. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Bunch of boomers might die?

:gizz: