Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
One thing I can't fuckin' stand is Warmbier. It makes me fuckin' puke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Nichael posted:

I really do agree. Part of the problem with the left, and the general group of people in America who believe in things like science, logic, and evidence, is that they wrap everything they say in fifty layers of unneeded academic language. It's no wonder you can't reach certain demographics when they vastly prefer bing bing bong bong communication strategies.

don't defend that super stupid post. it isn't like an intro class is making somebody translate greek. when you study things, those things have terms. you can get through an intro comp class (where you encounter rhetoric) with three greek terms that are actually not that bizarre because they are related to terms we use in everyday communication. pathos = emotion, ethos = credibility, logos = logic. bing bong.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

sexpig by night posted:

oh my god Fox is really pushing Tillerson's line about NK being 'directly responsible' for the kid's death and just called it 'functionally the murder of a US citizen'.

I mean, they're not wrong, but holy poo poo is this saber rattling the dumbest thing

yeah they need to hurry up and drop some concentrated american culture capsules

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Admiral Ray posted:

when i took my rhetoric courses this is what we did. we were tasked with looking at works and determining who they were for, what message they carried, etc, and then (later) asked to analyze it through some lens or another.

again, the problem lies in the formalization. if you look when the thread had a bunch of idiots fall for @sarrahsanders tweets, the takeaway i'm arguing is "people are dumb as gently caress, and you're dumb as gently caress too, so always remember that". sitting down and describing the formal concept of confirmation bias does loving nothing for people who fell for it

the core goal is teaching concepts on an immediately manipulable, granular level. formal frameworks do not do that - they only really provide a language that those who already understand the concepts can use to discuss it. like wine tasting - what does it mean to the average person for a wine to have a cured meat flavor? loving nothing. it's a meaningless term unless you already have a developed palate and enough data points to compare and familiarity with context. if you want to teach someone to really appreciate wine, you just say go try a bunch of wine and see how it tastes and focus on differences in taste and ignore all the jargon and bullshit until they're having fun and you're having fun and the palate is being developed and there's an appreciation for it. you don't teach someone to appreciate wine by making a baby's first sommelier certification course and making them go through regional differences drills to earn the first taste and then providing wine review descriptions and saying "this, your first bottle of wine, is a bit more moderate in tannins compared to the next bottle". just engage

expressly discarding formality and formal structures and rote learning is essential because those are in their own way forms of bullshit that should always be questioned. who gives a gently caress what aristotle said or what logos means or whatever, those terms only have meaning through the formalized context and the formalized context should be suspect from the start. throw all that garbage out and just gently caress with the kids' heads and show them that they're stupid, easily manipulable idiots and then show them how to protect against it, all from original principles

and if someone wants to sit down and formally look at and discuss the structures behind how it works, they can do that, cool. just take it to a different, voluntary class

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gringostar posted:

:lol: that you're not already at that point

ehh. i try not to say it openly except around the poor bastards i am close too.

Rocks posted:

how about instead of going "welp i rest my case", chuck, instead say "MAN OH MAN CAN YOU loving BELIEVE THIS rear end in a top hat. GO gently caress YOURSELF MITCH"... please and thank you

because they are idiot pussies. they want it to be like west wing or some stupid sophist poo poo like that. they wanna be the lawful good liberal who will hold the high ground and win through reason and debate and a catchy zinger at the end. gently caress em.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
weeeeeeee
https://twitter.com/MHackman/status/876916947912343552

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm gonna throw a party when Mitch McConnell dies.

lol who am I kidding that loving lich is going to outlive me

man my jesse helms party was epic

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

like, yeah, much of academia can be abstruse as heck but we weren't talking about that, and on the other end is a bunch of people who freak out when they encounter new words and automatically think somebody is pompous if they don't dumb it down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

now THIS is what I call accelerationalism!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Admiral Ray posted:

computers are just boxes of electrons that dance in specific ways. like a bee hive

they require magic smoke inside of them to think properly

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mormonpartyboat posted:

again, the problem lies in the formalization. if you look when the thread had a bunch of idiots fall for @sarrahsanders tweets, the takeaway i'm arguing is "people are dumb as gently caress, and you're dumb as gently caress too, so always remember that". sitting down and describing the formal concept of confirmation bias does loving nothing for people who fell for it

the core goal is teaching concepts on an immediately manipulable, granular level. formal frameworks do not do that - they only really provide a language that those who already understand the concepts can use to discuss it. like wine tasting - what does it mean to the average person for a wine to have a cured meat flavor? loving nothing. it's a meaningless term unless you already have a developed palate and enough data points to compare and familiarity with context. if you want to teach someone to really appreciate wine, you just say go try a bunch of wine and see how it tastes and focus on differences in taste and ignore all the jargon and bullshit until they're having fun

now how many glasses we talkin

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fidel Castronaut posted:

You're super dumb, m8

excuse me but that's an ad hominem attack and that means something because i learned in formal logic class that your argument is flawed so the eternal scorekeeper of the universe awarded me a point

~~~~~~~~~~

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

D1E posted:

Is your career officially over if you're a racist Republican and you can't get a show on CMT?

i'm sure he'll fine some other lovely soap box to expound upon all his life man lessons

i'm just glad it's getting cancelled cause my so liked that show and i could not stand it

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

like, yeah, much of academia can be abstruse as heck but we weren't talking about that, and on the other end is a bunch of people who freak out when they encounter new words and automatically think somebody is pompous if they don't dumb it down.

that aint why people automatically think youre pompous

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm gonna throw a party when Mitch McConnell dies.

lol who am I kidding that loving lich is going to outlive me

-A garbage rat

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

of course they are waiting until after the GA-06 to roll this poo poo heap out

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they require magic smoke inside of them to think properly

it's always sad when the smoke escapes and they stop working. :(

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Oh poo poo it just hit me.

Clark Gregg plays Spicey in the TRUMP film/tv adaptation

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I know I've watched too much sci-fi because the word "timeline" followed by an itemized list indicates that this is an hour-long special where someone's time machine has crashed and they're drumming up a list of things that have to be prevented to avoid Disasterpocalypse or things that have to happen for the future to stay on course toward their present-day

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

throw all that garbage out and just gently caress with the kids' heads and show them that they're stupid, easily manipulable idiots and then show them how to protect against it, all from original principles

hahahahaha

yes, this is sound pedagogy

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

now how many glasses we talkin

all of them :getin:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

excuse me but that's an ad hominem attack and that means something because i learned in formal logic class that your argument is flawed so the eternal scorekeeper of the universe awarded me a point

~~~~~~~~~~

your opponent chose to :justpost:

i l l a l l o w i t

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mormonpartyboat posted:

the core goal is teaching concepts on an immediately manipulable, granular level. formal frameworks do not do that - they only really provide a language that those who already understand the concepts can use to discuss it. like wine tasting - what does it mean to the average person for a wine to have a cured meat flavor? loving nothing. it's a meaningless term unless you already have a developed palate and enough data points to compare and familiarity with context. if you want to teach someone to really appreciate wine, you just say go try a bunch of wine and see how it tastes and focus on differences in taste and ignore all the jargon and bullshit until they're having fun and you're having fun and the palate is being developed and there's an appreciation for it. you don't teach someone to appreciate wine by making a baby's first sommelier certification course and making them go through regional differences drills to earn the first taste and then providing wine review descriptions and saying "this, your first bottle of wine, is a bit more moderate in tannins compared to the next bottle". just engage

expressly discarding formality and formal structures and rote learning is essential because those are in their own way forms of bullshit that should always be questioned. who gives a gently caress what aristotle said or what logos means or whatever, those terms only have meaning through the formalized context and the formalized context should be suspect from the start. throw all that garbage out and just gently caress with the kids' heads and show them that they're stupid, easily manipulable idiots and then show them how to protect against it, all from original principles

and if someone wants to sit down and formally look at and discuss the structures behind how it works, they can do that, cool. just take it to a different, voluntary class

ah aight i see ur game.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"just like do some parlor tricks with manipulation and then explain it to them. bing bong, so simple to teach. can't believe people take classes on teaching when it's this easy!"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

lmao Mitch McConnell is such a loving piece of poo poo
https://twitter.com/CAPAction/status/876922909306081280

Not even a full workday to review a bill that severely affects like a fifth of the US economy and millions upon millions of people. Christ almighty.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

hahahahaha

no this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcVnqFxWMDM

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fidel Castronaut posted:

hahahahaha

wait pedagogs can be teachers now????

wtf obama and/or trump

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Again, do we know for sure that scalise got his cock n balls shot off?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
the lamest academic debates are about academia

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Admiral Ray posted:

the ultimate triumph of academia is all the marketing agencies that dominate your psyche and make you buy poo poo you don't even want.

my college experience was so weird seeing like 80%+ of my classmates toting around apple laptops and poo poo.

walk into lecture and see a sea of apple logos in the dark

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

~~~~~~~~~~

nah, i didn't say your argument was dumb because you are dumb but just that u are dum as heck

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how is the cbo scoring that in two working days

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

my guess is it will leak this week and it will be loving terrible, the gop will say gently caress it and repeal Obamacare but not be able to get enough votes for the new lovely one(either because its too awful or because it doesnt kill enough chaff) my guess is trump will start a new fire or some new russia poo poo will leak too. loving them further.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

young people have an overinflated sense of the importance and relevance of academia for obv reasons

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

That DICK! posted:

I still stand by the fact that Mitch McConnell is the most detestable person

Ben Carson should do something about that guy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

euphronius posted:

how is the cbo scoring that in two working days

who knows. my guess is the GOP doesnt give a gently caress at this point.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

nah, i didn't say your argument was dumb because you are dumb but just that u are dum as heck

silly glue elemental, always blind to the rubber vest under a sweater

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is it will leak this week and it will be loving terrible, the gop will say gently caress it and repeal Obamacare but not be able to get enough votes for the new lovely one(either because its too awful or because it doesnt kill enough chaff) my guess is trump will start a new fire or some new russia poo poo will leak too. loving them further.
It will pass with a Republican majority and be signed into law by the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Fidel Castronaut posted:

But there is no changing that other end unless you have a massive overhaul of our culture. It's better to engage them on their terms, while still educating them.

• Locked thread