Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

moths posted:

He's basically schmoozing his way into the production side of the industry, which is annoying because his involvement is one of like three things that would stop me from caring about a Kenneth Hite Vamipre the Masquerade.

I have no interest in White Wolf products. Never have. But hearing Ken Hite talk about it on KaRTAS made me cautiously interested for sure. I'd summarize the interview like this:

Robin: "What should we expect from your work on this game?"
Ken: "I want to cut all the metaplot bullshit, cut out racially insensitive poo poo, and modernize Vampire. gently caress the grognards."
Robin: "Nice. Is there anything standing in your way?"
Ken: "Yeah, the IP owners are huge grognards. But I'll do my best despite them."

Do we know Ken's opinion of Zak? I sure hope Zak doesn't work on it - that'd put me in a hard spot between supporting designers I like and not supporting self-googling sock-puppeteering serial harassers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ken's been cordial with him, but he's also very diplomatic and fence-sitting in general. My understanding is that he gets that it's a tiny industry and you don't want to burn bridges - but he's generally been a stand-up human.

With Z writing that lovely app and twittering all over Ken's announcement, my fear is that OPP management (being rear end in a top hat grogs) will just make it happen.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

With Z writing that lovely app and twittering all over Ken's announcement, my fear is that OPP management (being rear end in a top hat grogs) will just make it happen.

You mean "WW", not "OPP."

jadarx
May 25, 2012

moths posted:

Ken's been cordial with him, but he's also very diplomatic and fence-sitting in general. My understanding is that he gets that it's a tiny industry and you don't want to burn bridges - but he's generally been a stand-up human.

Has this been a more recent opinion? Because I remember him gushing over Zac when Red & Pleasant Land won an Ennie two (?) gencon ago. He only talked about him from a designer perspective, but Zac's horrible behavior was well known at that point (This was this the same Ennie where a bunch of people walked out when Zac won).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That Old Tree posted:

You mean "WW", not "OPP."

gently caress, yeah I do. I even thought to myself that it's important not to mix them up just before I mixed them up.

E: I'm not sure what the timeline is. My take is that Ken is the proverbial "good man who does nothing."

moths fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 4, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PJOmega posted:

Didn't the first Codex Alara predate Exalted? I'm guessing the series was written around the time StarCraft: Brood War came around because it becomes straight up Zerg down the line.

Nah, Exalted 1e was 2001, Alera didn't start until 2004.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm not sure where to post this really...

https://reason.com/blog/2017/06/15/dd-creator-gary-gygaxs-fbi-records-make

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

The follow up article includes a link to this, which I found even more hilarious somehow: https://cdn.muckrock.com/foia_files/2017/06/14/1347138-000_Part_3.PDF

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm reminded of being told that the FBI considered the SCA to be the largest and best-trained militia in the States. For years I thought it was one of those self-congratulatory myths, but I'm not so sure now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The FBI's reaction to 'Dungeons and Dragons' reminds me of the disconnect when Hoover was trying to figure out what was going on with the Beat Poets.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I've heard that about the SCA as well, also that they used to put member names on a watchlist or something. I mean they do teach and practice fighting and survival techniques, it's just that it's carefully curated swordfighting rather than guns and the only governments they want to overthrow are rival cliques fighting each other for the budget.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's more that the SCA is actually organized. There's a clear chain of command and they work on small unit tactics. Most of the gun nut militias in the US practice shooting a lot but couldn't organize themselves well enough to build an IKEA end table and spend most of their time arguing about who's in charge. Militaries learned long ago that teaching people to shoot is the easy part, and you're a lot better off with a bunch of people who are good at small unit tactics but are mediocre shots than the other way around.

The modern day version is that an air soft team that had never touched a real firearm before would almost certainly win a battle against a bunch of gun nuts who spent all their time at the range.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bieeardo posted:

I'm reminded of being told that the FBI considered the SCA to be the largest and best-trained militia in the States. For years I thought it was one of those self-congratulatory myths, but I'm not so sure now.
I did not expect that Gary Gygax FBI thing to bring the SCA/FBI thing up. I think they told me the "SCA is scariest organization to FBI!!!" as a recruiting tactic back when I briefly considered joining up as a teenager; fortunately, one of the middle-aged ex-marines who taught combat telling me he looked forward to "beating me to a pulp on the field" made me think "you know what, I am not interested in joining a group of sadistic medieval hillbillies" and I made my pre-escape.

Kai Tave posted:

My favorites are the real early superhero RPGs where you'd randomly roll to determine your powers and so you could wind up with nigh-literal Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit situations. I remember one story about a guy whose only power was Radio Hearing (Technology)...aka he owned a radio.
I know this is from like six weeks ago but I just saw it and need to get this out

I played in a Villains & Vigilantes campaign for precisely one hour once. I rolled a character with super strength and accelerated healing; cool! I rolled the subsequent numbers, it was something like +3d6 extra strength and +5 regeneration (I see the actual tables were posted on the next page but I cannot stand to read all of them to figure the numbers out exactly).

The next guy rolled up his character, and got something like +6d6 extra strength, +10 regeneration, flight, and heat vision. I laughed and said "I assume I can reroll?" and the GM got kind of indignant like "hahaha, what, you think you're better than the rules?"

Despite the fact that these were people I had been gaming with for years, and continued gaming with for years after that, I was like "hmm, O.K." and got up and left a few minutes later and never came back until they started a campaign in a different system the next year.

I still feel that was the right decision. Even though in hindsight naming myself "[That Guy's Character Name] Jr." and playing an obsequious dork who would never actually amount to anything might have been pretty entertaining. Screw you, Villains & Vigilantes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Once the solar flare hits and all technology gets wrecked the army of epic fat LARPer sirs will establish New Camelot on the entire Midwest

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
It's an honor to meet you Mr. Stirling.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
All my experience with the SCA was desert camping, college level hookup culture, and archery. Is it really insane in the Midwest or something as compared to the coasts?

Hell, our tagline was "gently caress authenticity."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PJOmega posted:

All my experience with the SCA was desert camping, college level hookup culture, and archery. Is it really insane in the Midwest or something as compared to the coasts?

Hell, our tagline was "gently caress authenticity."
SCA varies greatly by group and by region. Some places are all about the costumes, some are about the fighting, some are keen on the material reenactment (brewing mead and assembling chainmail and pressing their own parchment and hand-binding it), some are about the heraldry and courtly poo poo, and some are really into the feasting and mead and wenching.

That last one shows up a lot. There's more than a few SCA groups which are basically swinger club with a medieval veneer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's more that the SCA is actually organized. There's a clear chain of command and they work on small unit tactics. Most of the gun nut militias in the US practice shooting a lot but couldn't organize themselves well enough to build an IKEA end table and spend most of their time arguing about who's in charge. Militaries learned long ago that teaching people to shoot is the easy part, and you're a lot better off with a bunch of people who are good at small unit tactics but are mediocre shots than the other way around.

The modern day version is that an air soft team that had never touched a real firearm before would almost certainly win a battle against a bunch of gun nuts who spent all their time at the range.

That was one of the founding ideas of the Boy Scouts way back in the day, that teaching boys leadership, outdoor skills and how to be comfortable with hard living would prepare them to be tip-top soldiers for the Empire :britain:.
Then WWI happened and the founder who was brought up in late 19th century warfare decided that wars nowadays kinda suck so let's dial back the military aspects of it

I don't disagree with your assessment that airsoft dorks would be more effective in an engagement than one would expect, but I don't know how well the SCA stuff would translate into effective post-apocalyptic militias because

FMguru posted:

SCA varies greatly by group and by region. Some places are all about the costumes, some are about the fighting, some are keen on the material reenactment (brewing mead and assembling chainmail and pressing their own parchment and hand-binding it), some are about the heraldry and courtly poo poo, and some are really into the feasting and mead and wenching.

That last one shows up a lot. There's more than a few SCA groups which are basically swinger club with a medieval veneer.

the variance.

Also, this airsofter is part of Meal Team 6

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was in the Kingdom (then late Principality) of Ealdormere, and we had all kinds. Our little canton had some crafters, some fighters, and a pretty good sense of humour. We toted someone's enormous A-frame tent to Court at Murder Melee one year (the Baron good-naturedly declared us trailer trash), and as things dragged on we'd pick the tent up, shuffle it a few feet further away, and repeat until we were far away to make a run for it.

I think it was that year that I woke up in the middle of a meadow at two in the morning, clutching an empty flagon and a cigar.

Bryniau Tywynnog (which we called Burning Twinkie) had a reputation for being much stricter about keeping things in period, but I don't think I ever ran into anyone from there. Well, except Myfanwy, but she was a professional costumer.

The drinking and sex? Totally college shenanigans. As soon as dark-thirty hit, pretty much every event I attended turned into bonfires and booze. The sex happened to other people, but waking up with a cigar and someone's mug was its own kind of fun.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
My only experience with the SCA was a gaming buddy who explained that if any dudes decided to join, they should ignore all the sword fighting bullshit and spend their time learning courtly dance because doing so was basically a guaranteed way to get laid; since the vast majority of the men were off doing practice military poo poo and all the women were on the other side of the site being courtly ladies, the dudes who said 'screw the swordfighting, I'm gonna go over here where the gender ratio is very much more in my favor' were reportedly in high demand.

So that was a thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FMguru posted:

After all of my experience with LARPs - well, you can't see how flat and unsurprised my expression is right now, but I assure you, it is exceedingly flat and unsurprised.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My only experience with the SCA was a gaming buddy who explained that if any dudes decided to join, they should ignore all the sword fighting bullshit and spend their time learning courtly dance because doing so was basically a guaranteed way to get laid; since the vast majority of the men were off doing practice military poo poo and all the women were on the other side of the site being courtly ladies, the dudes who said 'screw the swordfighting, I'm gonna go over here where the gender ratio is very much more in my favor' were reportedly in high demand.

So that was a thing.

Even if the odds were good, I expect the goods were odd.

My wife's sister and her husband were involved in it for a while. She's the spergiest of costume nerds, and is incredibly talented (as in, makes period replica clothing in museums talented). The better she got at it, the less she wanted to be involved with all the brokebrains SCA people.

She told us about this one chick who was super promiscuous and sexually flirty ~*~*in character~**~, and she had to repeatedly tell her that she's behaving incredibly inappropriately. They moved away a year or two later, and never had to see her again.

Her name was Gypsy Willis, which you might recognize from this incredibly bizarre murder tale!
http://people.com/crime/utah-doctor-trial-mistress-shares-marriage-shocker-in-testimony/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Michele_MacNeill

So, yeah, for all the cool and interesting people involved you get a handful of total creeps along for the ride too, and the cool and interesting people eventually get sick of the weirdos and move on to other hobbies. All their friends from that scene have moved on to other things in the last 15 years

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So that was a thing.

This also works in real life, where training the skill Dance:Sensual is never wasted.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I went to a small SCA event in high school and it was fun and chill, though not so much that I really wanted to get into it. Then I went to another one in my 20s, where an unpleasant woman who was also into Gor kept trying to corner me. It was funny afterwards, because I thought she was talking about "gwar" (I had no idea what Gor was at the time), and was horribly confused.

So yeah, different groups and all that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jimbozig posted:

Do we know Ken's opinion of Zak? I sure hope Zak doesn't work on it - that'd put me in a hard spot between supporting designers I like and not supporting self-googling sock-puppeteering serial harassers.

Belatedly, Ken will always have work coming out that has nothing to do with Zak, you can always just pick and choose which parts of his output deserve your money.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Desiden posted:

I went to a small SCA event in high school and it was fun and chill, though not so much that I really wanted to get into it. Then I went to another one in my 20s, where an unpleasant woman who was also into Gor kept trying to corner me. It was funny afterwards, because I thought she was talking about "gwar" (I had no idea what Gor was at the time), and was horribly confused.

I feel like it might almost be worse to be cornered by a GWAR fetishist, depending on how much you care about surviving the experience.

Anyway, to throw another anecdote on the pile: I had a friend in college who was a Pennsic regular, and while she was broadly interested in SCA stuff, she was pretty open about going to Pennsic for the booze/drugs/sex in the woods. Whatever works for folks, I guess?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"It was weird, she had this squirt bottle full of fake blood and kept calling my dick the World Maggot."

If you're poor and don't mind a a week of communal camping with ten thousand of your closest friends, Pennsic can be a really cost-effective way to keep yourself 'occupied' for a week. The party camps tend (or tended, but I imagine little's changed) to be very generous with their booze, and weed wasn't exactly hard to find even back in the Nineties.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So that was a thing.

I never did courtly dance, but I did contra and square dancing in college. The look on a woman's face when she realizes you actually know how to spin her so she can have fun without worrying about being dropped...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dr. Quarex posted:

I did not expect that Gary Gygax FBI thing to bring the SCA/FBI thing up. I think they told me the "SCA is scariest organization to FBI!!!" as a recruiting tactic back when I briefly considered joining up as a teenager; fortunately, one of the middle-aged ex-marines who taught combat telling me he looked forward to "beating me to a pulp on the field" made me think "you know what, I am not interested in joining a group of sadistic medieval hillbillies" and I made my pre-escape.

I know this is from like six weeks ago but I just saw it and need to get this out

I played in a Villains & Vigilantes campaign for precisely one hour once. I rolled a character with super strength and accelerated healing; cool! I rolled the subsequent numbers, it was something like +3d6 extra strength and +5 regeneration (I see the actual tables were posted on the next page but I cannot stand to read all of them to figure the numbers out exactly).

The next guy rolled up his character, and got something like +6d6 extra strength, +10 regeneration, flight, and heat vision. I laughed and said "I assume I can reroll?" and the GM got kind of indignant like "hahaha, what, you think you're better than the rules?"

Despite the fact that these were people I had been gaming with for years, and continued gaming with for years after that, I was like "hmm, O.K." and got up and left a few minutes later and never came back until they started a campaign in a different system the next year.

I still feel that was the right decision. Even though in hindsight naming myself "[That Guy's Character Name] Jr." and playing an obsequious dork who would never actually amount to anything might have been pretty entertaining. Screw you, Villains & Vigilantes

As the writer of the FATAL & Friends, review, I can honestly say that the only fondness, I have for V&V is nostalgia now. It was either that or Superhero:2044 for superguy games at the time and that was it, and even I'm not insane or grog enough to claim 2044 was a good or even playable game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Not to dig on SCA people - they seem nice - but my friend's mom was a rather earthy former hippy type who used to be in the SCA and she described it as extremely hornt out at all times. Or, as she put it "those SCA guys would gently caress mud."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Desiden posted:

You missed out on getting your own freaky sex slave, you god drat dummy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's all over the industry pages, but in case anyone hasn't heard, Stewart Wieck passed away yesterday. He was 49, in good health, and apparently just collapsed after a fencing session. He was always incredibly nice to me the handful of times I met him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Peas and Rice posted:

It's all over the industry pages, but in case anyone hasn't heard, Stewart Wieck passed away yesterday. He was 49, in good health, and apparently just collapsed after a fencing session. He was always incredibly nice to me the handful of times I met him.

I was just about to post that. I met him at a couple of the Grand Masquerades. A really great guy.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
In regards to Gygax's FBI file, a police confidential informant is the modern equivalent of a gullible teenage girl at a witch trial. To me, it basically reads like someone with a grudge got contacted by the FBI and took the opportunity to sling some mud around. The whole "personally answers every letter from prisoners" thing has a much nicer explanation than "he's a drug-addicted, armed profligate,": Gygax was a devout Christian (specifically a methodist, I think) and works of mercy like corresponding with prisoners are things Christians are especially supposed to do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I used to get a letter from prison about every other month at a previous job, and I always wrote back. I didn't know that was subversive!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CHIMlord posted:

In regards to Gygax's FBI file, a police confidential informant is the modern equivalent of a gullible teenage girl at a witch trial. To me, it basically reads like someone with a grudge got contacted by the FBI and took the opportunity to sling some mud around. The whole "personally answers every letter from prisoners" thing has a much nicer explanation than "he's a drug-addicted, armed profligate,": Gygax was a devout Christian (specifically a methodist, I think) and works of mercy like corresponding with prisoners are things Christians are especially supposed to do.

He was a Jehovah's Witness if memory serves, although not a terribly devout one. They talked a little about it in Playing at the World.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So FFG is finally going to unshackle the narrative dice system Jay Little made for WFRP3e from other people's IPs. I have never played a Android/Netrunner game, but with all the art they have built up, I think that art and this system could be a good match. They certainly imply so in the release.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I wonder if they'll do an actual Android supplement or just do what WotC did with Magic and put out a small online thingy to go with the existing art book/setting guide.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just came here to post that Stewart Wieck was extremely important to White Wolf, and without him there wouldn't have been a White Wolf as we knew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Siivola posted:

I wonder if they'll do an actual Android supplement or just do what WotC did with Magic and put out a small online thingy to go with the existing art book/setting guide.

Just guessing, but I doubt their contract for Netrunner IP includes making an RPG.

• Locked thread