Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stymie posted:

why is anything you're doing more important than giving someone a shot to try and learn?

it must be genuinely terrifying to live life as though the world is filled with greedy charlatans seeking to take what you've obviously earned entirely on your own

that might work in ditchdigging but in skilled professions it turns out knowing things matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloody posted:

that might work in ditchdigging but in skilled professions it turns out knowing things matters

that's the thing: these tests don't actually test if you know anything

they test if the person administering the test wants the person taking the test to pass and subsequently provides a cover if any uncomfortable questions about the people that weren't hired come up

the only way you know if the person you hired can do the job is if they do the job

also lol at programming being "skilled"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wish any time a programmer described their profession as "skilled" a pipefitter was there to brain them with a wrench

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
every job is a learning opportunity, there's literally no use for a senior or midlevel who can drop in and start contributing immediately

mentoring is free, doesn't take any time away from the existing staff and withholding it can only be borne of spite towards new hires

Iverron
May 13, 2012

giving notice rules especially when it reaffirms all the reasons you had for job hunting in the first place

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm still stuck on how a skills test is more racist than literally any other part of the hiring process.

Why are you idiots engaging stymie?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's not as though we've already had examples in this thread of interviewers using ridiculous minutia in their skills test to weed out candidates that may not have the exact same schooling that they've had (i.e. including a method they can use to disqualify a candidate whenever they choose while maintaining the illusion of objectivity)

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Stymie posted:

because it's easier to produce evidence that an applicant didn't pass your (arbitrary and rigged) skills test than any other reason because you'd have to justify why all your "poor culture fits" all had indian or pakistani last names

I'm the companies that have had to justify their poor culture fit no hires

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

IDK why you guys are arguing with someone who admitted to not knowing anything about hiring people when they mused about hiring managers being held accountable for people they don't hire

mishaq posted:

why the gently caress would you want a company car unless your job involves a lot of driving in which case your job/life sucks

just increase your salary and let you buy/lease your own car

I don't but am curious about what company it is

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we just rejected a team lead candidate for not only not being able to implement naive recursive fibonacci but for arguing that the four-line solution we ended up giving him wasn't correct because "but you have to calculate all the previous values first," aka the thing that every freshman says the first time they see recursion. (he wasn't arguing about performance, but about correctness.)

as a frequent supporter of the "tech screens rarely, if ever, test skills that will be actually used on the job" line i am very conflicted about this. obviously no we don't use the actual fibonacci sequence ever, and i believe i have used a recursive method in production code like once every two years. but you've got 20 years of experience on your resume and seem to never have even encountered recursion, like, as a concept? what does that mean?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i know it's often wishful thinking but every now and again companies get sued when their hiring practices are questionable

things like "skill tests" are methods to insulate companies against such things, and it's pretty pathetic when they get defended as being anything but

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

skill tests are 90% racism and 10% weeding out the real losers who share your race. is that a fair compromise?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no because the 10% still assumes that programming is a "skill"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what is it then

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

Why are you idiots engaging stymie?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

it's a lifestyle

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

power botton posted:

what is it then

the closest comparable act would be masturbation

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stymie posted:

the closest comparable act would be masturbation

so, yosposting

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

raminasi posted:

but you've got 20 years of experience on your resume

20 × 1 year of experience strikes again.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Failed the interview, was asked to implement a resizable stack in C but wasn't allowed to compile or debug, was expected to spot small bugs directly from the source code lol. Oh well.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Failed the interview, was asked to implement a resizable stack in C but wasn't allowed to compile or debug, was expected to spot small bugs directly from the source code lol. Oh well.

wow that's a red flag

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for sure. c in 2017??

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

for sure. c in 2017??

womp womp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PierreTheMime posted:

ive taken no less than a dozen recruiter calls for the job i just quit. its not every day you get the job description you wrote read back to you by hopeful 3rd parties

a few jobs ago i was at lunch with a bunch of discontents from my same employer. one of them had dug up a job ad by my employer for my own, personal position at roughly 1.5x my salary, and we were all having a proper bitch fest. i was somewhat surprised to discover this was 2x or 3x some of their salaries

turns out, come review time, i was the only one with the brazen balls required to throw it in their faces and pitch a fuckin fit

i rocked a 50% raise on that one, and i didn't even do the leg work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the tl;dr on that shouldn't be "omg that dude got lucky". it should be that review time is just business

you can throw dubious poo poo in their faces and pitch a fit and bitch and moan and nobody is gonna hold it against you more than usual

i dared to use a lovely scrap of public info to pitch a fit and i got rewarded handsomely. the worst case scenario was that i got the same as usual. nobody was gonna fire me or gently caress with me extra plus for daring to ask

it's just business

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ive changed my mind. the worst part about getting a new job is having to show my house. you absolutely can't have pets in the house while they show it so i have to spend 5 hours tomorrow just loving driving around with my pets doing ??? cuz i have nowhere to take them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

raminasi posted:

we just rejected a team lead candidate for not only not being able to implement naive recursive fibonacci but for arguing that the four-line solution we ended up giving him wasn't correct because "but you have to calculate all the previous values first," aka the thing that every freshman says the first time they see recursion. (he wasn't arguing about performance, but about correctness.)
I have never seen recursion in any production my professional career with the exception of enumerators, and if I recall function recursion is flat-out banned by a bunch of style guides

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
recursion comes up naturally when you try to parse something.

also once or twice I needed a bespoke levenshtein-like distance function

I know you could just write it with an explicit stack and all instead but when you're just throwing around code to solve a problem fast, recursion feels easier in these cases imo

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

there are lots of inherently recursive UIs (trees) and business objects that can contain other objects of the same type; I'm sure it depends on the type of work but recursion is not that rare

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
ok yeah that's right, I forgot about directory tree recursion and there's probably some math-specific graph pathfinding poo poo too

to me it still smacks of someone trying too hard to be clever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

ive changed my mind. the worst part about getting a new job is having to show my house. you absolutely can't have pets in the house while they show it so i have to spend 5 hours tomorrow just loving driving around with my pets doing ??? cuz i have nowhere to take them.

do they have dog parks? i can walk with my dog for hours too. sorry if you have a teacup poodle or whatever though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i use recursion all the time in my functional programming hobbyist stuff.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

ive changed my mind. the worst part about getting a new job is having to show my house. you absolutely can't have children in the house while they show it so i have to spend 5 hours tomorrow just loving driving around with my children doing ??? cuz i have nowhere to take them.

fixed that for you about 80% of american families selling their house

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
also hopefully that makes your post sound as silly to you as it sounds to me?

you live (temporarily) in wisconsin. it is loving june, one of 3 months where it is nice outside in wisconsin. take your fucken dag to the fucken dag park, jesus

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hey y'all someone is about to give me a p deece six figgies for this house so i can book it the gently caress out of the midwest asap, and he has the nerve to ask for a pitbull-free tour with the realtor? totally unreasonable, am i right folks?

you've joined the privileged class, so get used to people talking to you like this

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

given that youre moving away, maybe go somewhere that youve been wanting to go but hadnt yet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I have never seen recursion in any production my professional career with the exception of enumerators, and if I recall function recursion is flat-out banned by a bunch of style guides

i use em for iterating over (predefined) directory trees sometimes. i just checked a codebase i work on and there are 4 instances which all fit this scenario (for performing operations against node trees in zk specifically)

efb

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 20, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
back on topic: lack of knowledge or dislike of recursion is an immediate disqualification for me. sorry, we're done, NEXT

if you haven't encountered recursion, then you need to go hit the books. if you have, and you don't like it, that's universally because you have only encountered it in scenarios where the iterative alternative is often more obvious and natural. all this talk about tail recursion only emphasizes the point. true recursion is not a simple loop (though with inarguably better form), it is the necessary and proper method of processing an inherently recursive data structure. if you've ever worked with a json or xml file, that's a simple example of what i'm talking about. or programmed anything in a higher level language than assembly (cf parse trees as referenced by another poster above)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i mean i could have done some explicit stack juggling instead but it'd have been a bit less clean

i do recommend tossing an explicit comment in there at the recursive call to make it real obvious/intentional, something like:

code:
// this function documentation points out that the thing is done recursively
func doThing() {

doThing(); // RECURSE
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what makes it real obvious and intentional is that to process your X, you must first process the X contained within it

note for enterprise oop programmers: it doesn't have to be f calling f to qualify as recursion. if you have f call g which calls h which calls j which calls f... that counts too motherfucker

• Locked thread