Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Doing that Alex Jones interview probably knee capped Kelly's attempt at a comeback.

I don't know how much play it's getting outside of internet-land, but that cut final question from her Putin interview doesn't do wonders for her credibility either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Regan was worse than Bush domestically. Bush was worse internationally.

uuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh that's a hard call

i mean central america could conceivably be as bad as iraq. we simply don't know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Doing that Alex Jones interview probably knee capped Kelly's attempt at a comeback.

I haven't watched the interview and I've seen a few people claim it was better than anticipated. Personally I could do without ever seeing Jones or Kelly so I have little interest in watching it.

Which is I think is Kelly's problem. I've seen a bunch of articles that have suggested Kelly is being judged unfairly and people are being too harsh, but that seems absurd on its face. Kelly isn't a new commodity and she's not someone with years of journalistic credibility. She has a reputation and a resume and its a bad one. We're not going to forget that or wipe it clean. If she wants to be a serious journalist she has to earn it and clean up her bad reputation. So when you pull poo poo that looks like softball pieces of Putin and Jones you're not going to get any benefit of the doubt on it.

She and her defenders seem to think that she can just lay all the bad at Fox News' feet and come away clean even without saying anything about it, and that's just not going to fly.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Covok posted:

People were wondering why we were worried before when someone pointed out that Georgia GOP was saying things like "that shooting is going to win us the election."

Close race is close, news at 11

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

theflyingorc posted:

holy poo poo - no, you don't get to say things are radically changed based on one poll that shows movement by less than half the margin of error on that poll

ya the MOE on that poll is 4.4%

covok desperately clings to any chance to justify his brokebrainedness. someone needs to confiscate his keyboard.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The ratings she was getting were already very disappointing even before that PR fiasco, so that may end up having been more like a saving throw that failed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I freely confess that if Ossoff wins I may be unable to restrain myself regarding our local doomsayers and purity commissars. :v:

I really need to stay away myself because I feel like I'm going to get myself probated at the very least if I say some of the poo poo I want to say to the "nothing matters/we're doomed" crowd.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Perry is better for the DOE and America than Tillerson. He apparently has been a pretty hands-off administrator and has focused more on working on behalf of his subordinates and taking their advice seriously, rather than micromanaging them. Honestly, it's probably better to have someone like him in charge of the DOE to lobby for its importance and navigate Congress rather than some physicist.

no and wrong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.49de8fd8cd2a

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HannibalBarca posted:

The ratings she was getting were already very disappointing even before that PR fiasco, so that may end up having been more like a saving throw that failed.

Yeah, I don't think the Putin and Jones things are hurting her as much as its people having rejected Megyn Kelly on her name and reputation and these things she's doing are only supporting that impression and making it worse.

I don't know how she's going to get out of this if she didn't even pull eyes for the Putin and Jones controversies. She better be planning something major if she wants to start beating reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos and 60 Minutes. For God's sakes, we're only a few months away from football season.

I'm hoping she ends up co-hosting 11 PM on MSNBC with Brian Williams. That would amuse me on principle.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Arglebargle III posted:

It's insane that they haven't nominated anyone at State and have a hiring freeze. The org chart was a disaster after the election but everybody assumed things would go back to normal with an adult like Tillerson in charge. RIP

I'm still not sure if he's being actively held back from doing anything, or if this is what he wanted. I thought he wanted to do pro-business diplomacy myself. It's probably a combination though.

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know how much play it's getting outside of internet-land, but that cut final question from her Putin interview doesn't do wonders for her credibility either.

Honestly? I'm interested in Putin's personality, so if it was asked in a less toadying manner it would have been a good question. More "Has ruling Russia had any impact on you, personally?" and less "My tsar, with your mighty muscles, has the blood you've shed for Mother Russia been worth it?"

skylined! posted:

ya the MOE on that poll is 4.4%

covok desperately clings to any chance to justify his brokebrainedness. someone needs to confiscate his keyboard.

They need to ban him from doing anything other than making 13th Age custom classes IMO

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Not that it's great for Rick Perry to be saying these things, but actions matter more than words. Pruitt is actively undermining the EPA's mission while Perry seems to be letting the DOE more or less run itself.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/876969330579263488

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

I really need to stay away myself because I feel like I'm going to get myself probated at the very least if I say some of the poo poo I want to say to the "nothing matters/we're doomed" crowd.

Say it to me, I can take it.

Mods, please don't probate STAC Goat for saying anything to me.

(Trump is going to be president for 8 years)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Not that it's great for Rick Perry to be saying these things, but actions matter more than words. Pruitt is actively undermining the EPA's mission while Perry seems to be letting the DOE more or less run itself.

Didn't someone say he was actively cutting DoE labs?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

perpetuating climate change denial for any right-wingers still listening to perry as the adult in the room is indirectly damaging to (what should be) the shared goal of diminishing co2 emissions and.

perry continuing to whistleblow climate denial is dangerous, and people will end up leaving the department over it. period the end.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/876966271216218112

Imagine CENTCOM is less than pleased at this revelation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Good. If they actually pass this piece of poo poo. The public may go insane with rage.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

the administration plan is to cut DoE labs, something Perry has been providing pushback against

http://www.elp.com/articles/2017/06/doe-head-rick-perry-advocates-for-energy-research.html

skylined! posted:

perpetuating climate change denial for any right-wingers still listening to perry as the adult in the room is indirectly damaging to (what should be) the shared goal of diminishing co2 emissions and.

perry continuing to whistleblow climate denial is dangerous, and people will end up leaving the department over it. period the end.

if perry actively started saying "yeah global warming is man-made and caused by CO2", he would make his boss look like an idiot and be replaced by somebody intent on turbofucking the DOE. better that he stays and shills for the nuclear power industry, which is actually a good thing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rick Perry has really said too much about this other than reaffirming his commitment to support DOE laboratories a month or so ago. Most of the cuts to DOE research are part of Trump's proposed budget as far as I know.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Party Plane Jones posted:

"Been exposed to", but still :stonk:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Jesus, and I was annoyed at navy medical losing my vaccination records 8 months after getting a full schedule and making me get them all again.

Yikes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Lord posted:

The goon anecdote as I recall it is that he's twiddling his fingers on getting grants approved and suchlike, with potentially catastrophic effects on the recipients that need that money to, you know, exist.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876964061027684352

Doesn't this mean they have ideas such as raising the taxes big?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Is any of that English

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The best part about residence shaming John Ossof is that he has probably spent more of his life living in the 6th district than Karen Handel has.

Mother fucker grew up there and has only not lived in it to attend Georgetown, be an aid in Washington, and live with his girlfriend while she finishes her degree at Emory.

It's hilariously disingenuous to label him as anything but a rich white kid from the Atlanta 6th.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

um ill have you know karen handel has lived in the sixth as long maybe probably for possibly as long as ossoff has been alive maybe

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Why is anyone at all still seriously thinking polls are relevant? If the 2016 wasn't a wake-up call, I don't know what could be. Polls don't mean poo poo anymore. Am I really missing something fundamental?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

pepito sanchez posted:

Why is anyone at all still seriously thinking polls are relevant? If the 2016 wasn't a wake-up call, I don't know what could be. Polls don't mean poo poo anymore. Am I really missing something fundamental?

That they weren't very far off, actually, and that you're buying into right-wing alarmism.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

pepito sanchez posted:

The polls were accurate within margin of error

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

pepito sanchez posted:

Yeah, not really. Polls have been fine. It's the people reading them that seem to have an issue.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

pepito sanchez posted:

30% chance of victory isn't 0%

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

They're useless in the sense that they don't predict a winner with any certainty in this case, but they're probably not too far off the end result. They seem to indicate either could win tomorrow.

They're useful as a barometer for the general sentiment, with a large margin of error.

edit: I will make a sacrifice to the polling gods to ensure victory this time, so don't worry! Polls polls polls

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

skylined! posted:

um ill have you know karen handel has lived in the sixth as long maybe probably for possibly as long as ossoff has been alive maybe

And now a message from Former President Barack Obama:

Barack Obama posted:

John ... As... Off... is a dirty... squirrel... and he isn't going to get that... nut.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876964061027684352

Doesn't this mean they have ideas such as raising the taxes big?

Haha, the same people that worship this man think Obama was as stupid as Trump obviously is if you read even a single tweet.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

538 was showing Trump with ~30% chance during the runup. A bunch of dumb people thought this meant 0%.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Chilichimp posted:

That they weren't very far off, actually, and that you're buying into right-wing alarmism.

I might be. It's just seemed surreal since Trump won the presidency. Something failed, whether it was polls, or something as big as the electoral college. It's making me go nuts, and I'm not even in USA.

I'm hoping for a Handel loss, even if her Democratic opponent is as soft a D as has been assessed. Trump's basically campaigning for a single district right now, and it kind of sucks (or is it actually planned?) that zero Democrats are joining in on Ossoff's side.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Ossoff is big for the narrative, and specifically because it might have real ramifications on the stuff currently happening in Congress, especially the AHCA. Ossof wins and Republicans might get scared and change their approach/votes. Handel wins and those same Republicans may feel safe to just be all they can be for the cause.

But the people saying "20 pt swings are meaningless if the democrat needed 21 pts to win!" are just idiots. We're seeing tons of evidence of a wave. Its just not yielding results in deep red elections to replace Republicans who were chosen specifically because the GOP assumed their seats would be safe.

But its probably best to just tap out of this thread for the next few days because the poo poo posting is going to come out in force regardless of what happens.

A wave is probably not much comfort for people who live in deep red states, where it apparently still isn't enough to stop republicans from doing literally anything they want and getting away with it. I can understand the frustration/despair.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whichever side wins, the other side will demand a recount.

It will be a fun shitshow to watch, at the very least.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pepito sanchez posted:

It's been too long since the election for people to still believe this poo poo. The only explanation at this point is that you're just retarded.

The national polls were RIGHT. They had Hillary winning the popular vote by 1-3% and what do you know, that's exactly what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Haha, the same people that worship this man think Obama was as stupid as Trump obviously is if you read even a single tweet.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: Dems want to raise taxes big!

• Locked thread