Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pepito sanchez posted:

I might be. It's just seemed surreal since Trump won the presidency. Something failed, whether it was polls, or something as big as the electoral college. It's making me go nuts, and I'm not even in USA.

I'm hoping for a Handel loss, even if her Democratic opponent is as soft a D as has been assessed. Trump's basically campaigning for a single district right now, and it kind of sucks (or is it actually planned?) that zero Democrats are joining in on Ossoff's side.

did you have a really long stroke while reading the news for the past six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't believe that the Senate GOP is suddenly going to pump the brakes on AHCA if Ossoff wins. Look at what they are doing right now to keep everyone in the dark on the contents of this bill until it's too late. I've never seen anything like this.

Based on what McConnell is doing I think he's going to roll the dice and see if the public is willing to vote out Republicans in 2018 because of this bill. But he must be assuming that they won't, because if you are a Senate Republican up in 2018 I would stay the hell away from this thing. Even if you are in a 'safe' red state. He probably believes that they can pass the ACHA and make it go into effect until well after the midterms to avoid the fallout. What I really don't understand are these reports that the Senate ACHA bill is going to be WORSE on some things than the House version. I don't get that whatsoever unless he knows he can strongarm the last couple of votes in the Senate, and he's more concerned about getting a bill through conference with the House.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Here's Nate's take on GA-06, if you haven't read it already.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-georgia-special-election-matters/

Sounds about right - impossible to know what's going to happen, and people are going to way over interpret the results.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

OctaMurk posted:

Perry is better for the DOE and America than Tillerson. He apparently has been a pretty hands-off administrator and has focused more on working on behalf of his subordinates and taking their advice seriously, rather than micromanaging them. Honestly, it's probably better to have someone like him in charge of the DOE to lobby for its importance and navigate Congress rather than some physicist.

Paradoxish posted:

Not that it's great for Rick Perry to be saying these things, but actions matter more than words. Pruitt is actively undermining the EPA's mission while Perry seems to be letting the DOE more or less run itself.

No, the Office of the Secretary is reviewing all funding in the department and putting as much of it on hold as he can while that "review" happens.

I know I'm too slow for this thread because I don't spend all day at work on here. But Rick Perry is bad for the DoE. He hasn't proven to be as bad for the DoE as, say Pruitt is for EPA, but just because he isn't swinging from the rafters telling his own department to go gently caress itself, doesn't mean he isn't doing harm.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The goon anecdote as I recall it is that he's twiddling his fingers on getting grants approved and suchlike, with potentially catastrophic effects on the recipients that need that money to, you know, exist.

This isn't an anecdote, it is in emails from the DoE that I have posted. The labs are less affected by this (right now) because they're funded through continuing resolution and they have DoE officers on site to keep the mother ship updated. poo poo will start getting real if/when there is a new budget.

Edit: Also, program managers are planning for the advertised 30% cut. Just because the president's budget isn't binding doesn't mean it is toothless.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 20, 2017

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

pepito sanchez posted:

Why is anyone at all still seriously thinking polls are relevant? If the 2016 wasn't a wake-up call, I don't know what could be. Polls don't mean poo poo anymore. Am I really missing something fundamental?

It was all within the margin of error. Accuracy vs precision. Idk, words.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's been too long since the election for people to still believe this poo poo. The only explanation at this point is that you're just retarded.

The national polls were RIGHT. They had Hillary winning the popular vote by 1-3% and what do you know, that's exactly what happened.

I get the electoral college. But it was entirely projected that she'd win the popular vote in those key states. Margin of error, yes, but I don't know how I'm being retarded, specially when this entire forum was so certain of her win, including the Trump supporters. loving Alex Jones was already crying over the inevitable win. Obviously, she didn't actually get it, I'm just saying polls actually hurt her and emboldened the Trump rally into getting out for the vote. Margin of error my rear end, people didn't get out to vote. For fucks sake, I'm still surprised USA doesn't have a mandatory voting law, at least for the presidency.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
People went out and voted fine, just not in the right states. Polls predicted Hillary winning by around 2% and she did about that. She lost 3 key states by 10k votes. Not exactly a large amount.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

skylined! posted:

did you have a really long stroke while reading the news for the past six months

feels like it. Here and there, it often feels like venting frustration. also, rarely, :justpost:

But I'll shut up now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
oh god we've gone back into election talk. Please let us all stop

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Kekekela posted:

538 was showing Trump with ~30% chance during the runup. A bunch of dumb people thought this meant 0%.

Let's not revise history and say that it was a bunch of dummies who thought that, and not, you know, pretty much everyone in this forum. The problem in 2016 wasn't that a bunch of dumb people pretended 30% meant 0%, it's that a whole bunch of smart people did too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MickeyFinn posted:

He hasn't proven to be as bad for the DoE as, say Pruitt is for EPA, but just because he isn't swinging from the rafters telling his own department to go gently caress itself, doesn't mean he isn't doing harm.

That's all that we were saying, though? I don't think anyone here is jumping for joy that Rick Perry is running the DoE, but he's not as much of a threat as Pruitt, Sessions, or DeVos.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

oh god we've gone back into election talk. Please let us all stop

lol, just wait until tomorrow night.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Z. Autobahn posted:

Let's not revise history and say that it was a bunch of dummies who thought that, and not, you know, pretty much everyone in this forum. The problem in 2016 wasn't that a bunch of dumb people pretended 30% meant 0%, it's that a whole bunch of smart people did too.

yeah it's true tht 538 had a 30% chance but it's also true that every other major media outlet had 0% chance
HOWEVER lets not do this again

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-06-19/sean-spicer-to-lead-communications-office-searches-for-new-press-secretary

:siren:SPICER OUT!:siren:

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 20, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theflyingorc posted:

holy poo poo - no, you don't get to say things are radically changed based on one poll that shows movement by less than half the margin of error on that poll

Polling has been trending in Handel's favor the last week or two because the GOP voters are coming home to their racist white pride party and GA-06 is, at the end of the day, full of FYGM white southerners who will absolutely support American Nazis over a party that wants to help them but also help those people.

Also the Georgia state government is hilariously, and in the governor's case rather openly, corrupt. Deal is absolutely not above loving with the election in any and every way possible to ensure a GOP win.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
https://twitter.com/funder/status/876976689233973248

bye

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

Let's not revise history and say that it was a bunch of dummies who thought that, and not, you know, pretty much everyone in this forum.

You're making a distinction here that I'm not quite grasping.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pepito sanchez posted:

feels like it. Here and there, it often feels like venting frustration. also, rarely, :justpost:

But I'll shut up now.

it's ok bud. we are all in this together. as long as you never bring up the election again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876964061027684352

Doesn't this mean they have ideas such as raising the taxes big?

Lol at any Republican being able to say (or tweet) with a straight face that all the Dems do is obstruct and have no ideas of their own.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

boner confessor posted:

he doesn't live in the district but he lives close enough to it to where it doesn't matter and this is just a silly excuse to paint him as an outsider

iirc he lives in the 4th district while his girlfriend goes to medical school and he's going to move to the 6th when possible
He lives like 1/2 a mile from me, and I live less than a mile from GA-6.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 20, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not really out, more like behind.

:heysexy:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who in christ's name is going to replace him?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Sean made it about 6 months. RIP buddy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guessing Huckabee is going to be their go-to girl for the job.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Last I heard they're seriously considering Stephen Miller, which, just lol.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Sarah

Sandra

Or whatever her name is

Hucklesomething

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, I hope this is because Trump is blaming his approval ratings on spicer.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nothus posted:

Someone told him he had to stay at the job for 6 months, any less would look bad on a resume. So he held on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nothus posted:

Considering his job/boss, that's honestly impressive.

Guy's probably gonna do his best to hide under a rock for his own sanity for a good while.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

Sarah

Sandra

Or whatever her name is

Hucklesomething

she doesnt even want it

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Paradoxish posted:

Malloy is all but handing this state to the GOP on a silver platter, but the real problem with CT is that we're in the endgame of decades of business friendly government policy. It turns out that kowtowing to business interests only works for so long and sooner or later you need those businesses to actually pay taxes rather than just rely on neverending growth. I look forward to becoming Kansas 2.0: Northeast Edition.
5 bucks says CT starts to toll all tractor-trailers driving through the state, much like Rhode Island.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nothus posted:

i hope trump never stops torturing him

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

she doesnt even want it

trump doesn't care

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Night10194 posted:

Supposedly Sean interviewed Laura Ingraham.

Hopefully whoever it is will be as delightfully incompetent as Spicer, and not frustratingly incompetent like Sarah Sanders.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

pepito sanchez posted:

I might be. It's just seemed surreal since Trump won the presidency. Something failed, whether it was polls, or something as big as the electoral college. It's making me go nuts, and I'm not even in USA.
Beyond the fact the polls actually were mostly correct at least on a national level, but were slightly off on a state level (Remember Clinton's loss was by incredibly slim margins in the states that ended up mattering), we also have to remember that different polls mean different things. An election poll is predicting future behavior. And that's not going to be an exact science because opinions change and some people just don't vote. Polls regarding approval ratings are a completely different story because they're not predicting future behavior. They are literally just asking people what they currently believe.

The thing that failed is deeper than polls.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Spicy Sad!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Serfer posted:

The little girl from the little house on the prairie?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why make this announcement before they have the official replacement though? What's the hurry?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Serfer posted:

Hopefully whoever it is will be as delightfully incompetent as Spicer, and not frustratingly incompetent like Sarah Sanders.

They interviewed 3 candidates to replace Spicer.

Laura Ingraham
A brunette lady from Fox News
A former NRCC spokesman

You haven't heard of any of them except for Laura Ingraham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

Why make this announcement before they have the official replacement though? What's the hurry?

tune in next week.....

• Locked thread