Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well yeah. Also I'm not sure what swimming has to do with it. Even if you can swim you're probably hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm the complete lack of visible reaction as I plunge into a raging torrent of water to my near-certain demise

But I also came to the thread today to post that my spirit animal is the fat wiener dog that lives at a restaurant near my office and eats nothing but greasy dumpling scraps.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
haier that video is from india and happened a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6PmR2hYW3E

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I see you bolded the good parts.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm the complete lack of visible reaction as I plunge into a raging torrent of water to my near-certain demise

But I also came to the thread today to post that my spirit animal is the fat wiener dog that lives at a restaurant near my office and eats nothing but greasy dumpling scraps.

I would like a picture or video of the fat dog as a palate cleanser please.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Me and my girlfriend are selling all our stuff at the moment since we're going back to the UK next month. She's back in her hometown at the moment so I have to deal with people who show up to buy stuff. When my girlfriend is here they all spend at least an hour asking questions and trying to haggle, even if they just want to buy something like a 5rmb cup. Now though they all see me, poo poo themselves that they have to speak to a laowai and just say ok ok and pay me full price before they've even seen what they are buying.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

big time bisexual posted:

Haier makes up his stories?!?! I never knew.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Poldarn posted:

You could cleanse your palate with the marten that drowned in my son's paddle pond 2 nights ago. It kept screeching for some time. Thought it was just brawling with the cats as usual. :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you have a pool of any size please cover it when it's not in use, or get/build something like a Froglog to give trapped animals a way to get out of the water.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Me and my girlfriend are selling all our stuff at the moment since we're going back to the UK next month. She's back in her hometown at the moment so I have to deal with people who show up to buy stuff. When my girlfriend is here they all spend at least an hour asking questions and trying to haggle, even if they just want to buy something like a 5rmb cup. Now though they all see me, poo poo themselves that they have to speak to a laowai and just say ok ok and pay me full price before they've even seen what they are buying.

Nice.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

big time bisexual posted:

I knew it! I even asked CG about it and she said "I don't know, it is all over the Chaoshan people Wechat. Everyone is talking about it and saying it happened here."
So someone made up a fake story, it went viral, and LOL.

She did show me videos of her hometown and the water is still inside the first floor of everyone's houses. Her mom is stuck in the house and too much of a baby to leave.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Haier posted:

internet.txt

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Poldarn posted:

He's not fat, but here's a picture of my wiener dog giving the stinkeye to mainlander tourists at the Eiffel Tower:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Poldarn posted:

Haha alright, I'll snag one tomorrow morning

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I had the idea, if I had a real camera, to do a series of portraits of the animals at scooter repair shops in Taipei. Half the ones I see seem to have a shop pet, usually a scruffy mutt dog the sight of which makes people scoop up their precious lovely inbred mini poodles as they walk by.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do Taipei people also refuse to use leashes and spend half their time running after their dogs screaming as they charge into traffic/fight other dogs?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

Do Taipei people also refuse to use leashes and spend half their time running after their dogs screaming as they charge into traffic/fight other dogs?

Nah, usually--at least, not any more or less often than in the US--dogs that are off leash are well-behaved.

Taipei dog owners do completely baffle me by taking their dogs to night markets inside strollers or backpacks, though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In south Taiwan you get a mix of dogs in strollers or strapped to chests like babies and free roaming mutts that will chase you if you're out for a jog. In other words it's basically Bangkok.

Speaking of which, the baby touching thing bothers me to some degree but I'm kind of cool with it. All babies in Bangkok, not just white or mixed, get unsolicited attention so at least we're just being treated like everyone else. I guess I prefer everyone trying to play with my kid in public to being terrified that he's going to annoy everyone by being a loud, energetic baby and someone is going to make a passive aggressive comment behind me about what a terrible parent I am for needing to ride the metro with a toddler.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the baby touching thing has nothing to do with china, when my kid was an infant old women and servers in restaurants constantly tried to touch her

Heffer
May 1, 2003

The Great Autismo! posted:

these videos have warped my sense of reality, my wife is very relaxed with our son because she's from a rural area that's Not China, and in China i would always be like "where's our son, is he ok" and she's like "don't worry he's fine" as he's halfway across the courtyard playing with some little chinese girl, and i'd sprint over there to be near him. it is so unbelievably relaxing to know that he is not in China in right, thank God

Don't worry about strangers. Statistically, your son is much more likely to be kidnapped by somebody you know.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Efexeye posted:

the baby touching thing has nothing to do with china, when my kid was an infant old women and servers in restaurants constantly tried to touch her

I've noticed Indian kids at the playground like to just pick up and kiss my baby without asking, dunno if that's standard procedure. (it's a very cute baby)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

P-Mack posted:

I've noticed Indian kids at the playground like to just pick up and kiss my baby without asking, dunno if that's standard procedure. (it's a very cute baby)

it has to do with leeching their life essence away

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Efexeye posted:

It usually doesn't extend to men though. In the west people get really weird about random men around their babies but in Asia it's about 50:50 men and women coming over to play.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

no ring?

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Haier posted:

I knew it! I even asked CG about it and she said "I don't know, it is all over the Chaoshan people Wechat. Everyone is talking about it and saying it happened here."

She did show me videos of her hometown and the water is still inside the first floor of everyone's houses. Her mom is stuck in the house and too much of a baby to leave.

Boy it's a good thing the Chinese government takes mold remediation and flood damage recovery efforts seriously, otherwise this might be a serious problem with long-term effects!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

JP tax department

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

curufinor posted:

State of the art wrt facial recognition poo poo w/ neural nets and poo poo:
1. Has ~2-10sec latency (in addition to internet latency)
2. Can only handle ~20 million classes (with special obscure tricks, too) without asploding
3. Can't handle vastly differential poses without 100x more data
4. Is vastly vulnerable to pretty generalizable attacks, both w/ attacker control of the screen and just w/ attacker control of the face

maybe they have a bit better than state of the art? (lolno)
maybe they hired some goddamn frauds who promised the world? (lolyes)

Everyone wearing surgical masks all the time is also a little bit of a wrench in the gears.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

Everyone wearing surgical masks all the time is also a little bit of a wrench in the gears.

In 2045 a chinese guy will rip off V for vendetta and the chinese netizen underclass will rise up as Guy Coughs

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Meanwhile, in Australia/UK/China

quote:

The [Aussie] Defence Department will terminate its relationship with a Sydney data centre in 2020 and move its secret files back into a government-owned hub, because a Chinese consortium bought half of the centre's parent company.

quote:

The ownership of Global Switch changed in December when the London-based parent company, Aldersgate Investments, accepted $4 billion in cash for a 49 per cent stake from Chinese consortium Elegant Jubilee

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-20/security-concerns-over-defence-files-in-data-centres/8632360

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

numerous comments objected to the Red Dress Charity Run. People reacted to the photos with comments like:

"Demons;" "Really despicable;" "One word: really (expletive) nauseating;" "They're all so weird looking;" "Foreign bastards in China are an abomination against heaven;" and "Really (expletive) disgusting, takes 'disgusting' to a whole new level."

One person echoed a commonly-heard Chinese refrain about expats: "A large proportion of the foreigners that hang out in China are losers."

Other comments referred to China's authoritative police forces. Online comments ranged from "This should be regarded as an illegal gathering;" "Imprison them for 15 days;" to "Where are the chengguan (city management workers famous for causing altercations)?" and "Where are the cops?"

The event had been originally posted to Weibo without being described as a charity event, which was later corrected in the comments. However, some Chinese commenters were not persuaded by this information.

"Don't try to use some (charitable) event to change what this is: a group of foreign trash along with a group of crazy domestic trash," wrote one person. "Foreign trash is attempting to insert their retardedness into China."

http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2017/06/20/red-dress-charity-run-attracts-online-controversy

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

hahahaha I just realized how poorly covert cultural subversion attempts would go in China. The great wall of apathy and poo poo talking

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I wonder how different the comments would be if instead of dresses, it was only "red running attire". not very different

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

I watched it a few more times... Is it me or does that guy look brown? I wonder if I just got duped by local Chinese Whispers and it was in Bangladesh.

it may or may not be chaoshan but i definitely saw that video on weibo 3-5 weeks ago

edit: gently caress years ago, beaten

there have been some really good gifs recently of chinese people dying in traffic but i cant post them

LentThem fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 20, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

it's me, im the foreign trash

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/8ioo2pt.gifv

not the china I know

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Foreign trash is attempting to insert their retardedness into China."

It's called plunging.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Running in the 90's

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baronjutter posted:

It's called plunging.

:vince:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

It's called plunging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Fasdar posted:

Boy it's a good thing the Chinese government takes mold remediation and flood damage recovery efforts seriously, otherwise this might be a serious problem with long-term effects!
LOL. Mold is not a health hazard in China. It is just a discoloration that keeps happening. Better to ignore it. Maybe put some green tea on it, since green tea is the same as bleach in TCM.

Blistex posted:

Also the part where the government ID photos are all like 15 years old and everyone looks like plastic mannequins.

If they had critical thinking skills they would lose face when they realize that if only losers are coming to China it must not be very good in general, since all the winners and money makers are going elsewhere. Even Chinese don't want to be in China. It's like being the cashier in a tabletop games shop and complaining about the neckbeards and smell.

As I get closer to my leaving, the most common question is "WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?" along with butthurt like "U DON'T LIKE CHINA???" and asking why I don't want to stay here forever. They think that I am allowed to simply arrive here and stay as many years as I want, have the same lovely rights as a local, and that I feel the same way about China as they are supposed to. Answering that I am not a Chinese citizen isn't a good enough excuse. Many see me leaving China equating to me hating China, because if I liked it I would do everything in my power to stay here. Maybe it goes with their idea that if a Chinese can get work in a select foreign country, there's a 90% chance they are going to try to stay there forever.

It was a source of many break-ups and deletions by dates and plunge partners before, because they were convinced they would be the one that got me to see the glory of Mainland China, and I would just park myself right here and never leave. They seriously thought I could and would be able to stay, get married, buy a house, never leave, and have no desire to go to my own country or go live in any other country. It was pure delusion, and I found it be a delusion that was so common that I wouldn't even get into the discussion because it was so tiring.

Now that I am closer to leaving I just tell them "It is a matter of culture. Most foreigners are not happy in China after a while, because Chinese culture is too different." When asked what the cultural differences are I just say "Everything."

• Locked thread