Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Got a letter today and I get to choose 3 points and £100 fine or I can take it to court (as much as it annoys me that they got me right after the limit change sign I'll just take the fine+points)

I'm a bit confused: are they still claiming that you were doing 46 in a 30, but only fining you 3 points - not what the guidance online said you should have got?

Don't get me wrong: I am pleased that you aren't getting banged-up in the slammer*, but I'm curious why you are getting the minimum. Did I massively misunderstand the rules?

(* no-one should get banged-up in the slammer, expect on a Friday night)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mother fucker!
I just did all that cleaning and scrubbing on the brakes of the Crown Vic, and completely forgot that I HAVE A PRESSURE WASHER that would have cut the (hard on the back) work in half, at least!
It's not even buried in the garage - it's right up there at the door!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Savannah is a pretty cool city, nice area to walk around for a few hours stopping in whatever shops seem interesting. Some good food as well...we ate so much food. Tybee Island is typical little beach area and packed with tourists and traps. Still a nice way to spend a day and the water felt great. Did make the mistake of not putting back on block after swimming thinking the umbrella would protect us. We're both burnt as hell from I'm assuming reflection off the sand.

If anyone is near Spartanburg, SC and likes to look at BMW race cars they should check out Heroes of Bavaria at the BMW CCA Foundation. My blurry/non-organized/random photos are here https://goo.gl/photos/EXf4bGHySDPuJBtu9

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I'm a bit confused: are they still claiming that you were doing 46 in a 30, but only fining you 3 points - not what the guidance online said you should have got?

Don't get me wrong: I am pleased that you aren't getting banged-up in the slammer*, but I'm curious why you are getting the minimum. Did I massively misunderstand the rules?

The guidance is for the court sentencing, IF it goes to court. He was not going fast enough for it to go to court by default, so he gets the choice of an FPN and fine. An FPN and fine is always 3 points and £100 for a speeding offence.

Ebay update: Buyer does want it, other guy not happy, says he'll "escalate it to Ebay". Good luck with that, chap.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

The guidance is for the court sentencing, IF it goes to court. He was not going fast enough for it to go to court by default, so he gets the choice of an FPN and fine. An FPN and fine is always 3 points and £100 for a speeding offence.

What's the speed where they don't offer you a FTN and it is court-time?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

What's the speed where they don't offer you a FTN and it is court-time?
I think it's 50 in a 30.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'd appreciate a recommendation folks. My wife's Kia Spectra5 needs at least one front strut (meaning it needs two, of course). It looks like KYB GR-2/Excel-G struts are the favored OE replacement. Any reason not to go with KYB? Other options are Monroe OE Spectrum, Sachs, and Gabriel. Not much change in price either way. there are cheaper ones, with names i don't recognize (who the hell is Sensen?) I've not fiddled with OE replacement much. I have no issue with how it rode and drove on the OE stuff when new. Not a racecar, so no coilovers.

I need to look at it to see if it needs new strut mounts, too, and I may need a lower control arm or two. The bushings are cheap, but I don't know how much of a pain pressing them in and out of the control arms might be. Need to check the CV joints to see if it needs new axles, too...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need someone to convince me to not buy an Evo or that there's better options so I decided to search for some of the cars I love that I passed on and man, 83-85 Celica GT-S notchbacks have evaporated.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I need someone to convince me to not buy an Evo or that there's better options so I decided to search for some of the cars I love that I passed on and man, 83-85 Celica GT-S notchbacks have evaporated.
Have you ruled out a VW R32?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Ebay update: Buyer does want it, other guy not happy, says he'll "escalate it to Ebay". Good luck with that, chap.

I don't use Ebay much, so this is just a curiosity question. Does Ebay give you the ability to create a sale listing like you did, but make it 'private' so that it won't show up on searches in order to prevent that from happening (like unlisted Youtube videos for example). That would be a good solution if it was possible, then if the person you listed it for flaked, you just unhide it and leave it there.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Savannah is a pretty cool city, nice area to walk around for a few hours stopping in whatever shops seem interesting. Some good food as well...we ate so much food.

Savannah is definitely cool for a weekend trip. Where'd you stay?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Have you ruled out a VW R32?

I haven't even looked at them to be honest. I think the only thing that will hold me back is the question, "do I need to spend $25K+ on a car?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

I don't use Ebay much, so this is just a curiosity question. Does Ebay give you the ability to create a sale listing like you did, but make it 'private' so that it won't show up on searches in order to prevent that from happening (like unlisted Youtube videos for example). That would be a good solution if it was possible, then if the person you listed it for flaked, you just unhide it and leave it there.
I don't think so. You can do the opposite, and block specific people, but I don't think you can allow only specific people.

TBH the only thing that would work is putting a stupidly high price with a best offer option, and only accepting the right person's offer.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I haven't even looked at them to be honest. I think the only thing that will hold me back is the question, "do I need to spend $25K+ on a car?"
Well since you're looking at Evos I presume you're OK with used cars and I don't see any 2008 R32s for any higher than $20k in my area, and most are in the $10k-$15k range.

Edit: If you're looking for a 2002-2005 R32, THOSE prices are considerably higher and don't usually dip below $18k, at least around here.

edit again: Here's a Jalopnik "Golftrospective" (their word) on the R32 line.

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 19, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Well since you're looking at Evos I presume you're OK with used cars and I don't see any 2008 R32s for any higher than $20k in my area, and most are in the $10k-$15k range.

Oh yeah, used all the way. I've been noting Evo X prices and 2008-10's have tumbled. I'm halfway hoping the '14's will also start to drop over the next year. $25K isn't impossible but I just need to be certain that I need that much car.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah, used all the way. I've been noting Evo X prices and 2008-10's have tumbled. I'm halfway hoping the '14's will also start to drop over the next year. $25K isn't impossible but I just need to be certain that I need that much car.
Sweet deal. Here's a Jalopnik "Golftrospective" (their word) on the R32 line and it's not helping my horrible idea of swapping an all-wheel drive train into my pokey blue MK4. The best part about getting an R32 is that it's a hatchback, thus practical and can be used every day to do everything. Hatchbacks rule, especially ones with AWD and one of the best-sounding engines ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Sweet deal. Here's a Jalopnik "Golftrospective" (their word) on the R32 line and it's not helping my horrible idea of swapping an all-wheel drive train into my pokey blue MK4. The best part about getting an R32 is that it's a hatchback, thus practical and can be used every day to do everything. Hatchbacks rule, especially ones with AWD and one of the best-sounding engines ever.

As appealing as it sounds, the VW styling just isn't my bag.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryrobots posted:

Savannah is definitely cool for a weekend trip. Where'd you stay?
We stayed at the airbase/airport for most of it but Saturday night she surprised me with an ocean view room at Tybee Hotel. I guess it's an almost yearly event for her group so we'll plan it a bit better next time instead of it being a last minute thing. Still a great trip, bit of a drive though...almost 7 hours with a quick food stop

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

As appealing as it sounds, the VW styling just isn't my bag.
Diff'rent strokes! Best of luck on your car search. I'd recommend an Audi A3 wagon but the styling is basically the same as the VW.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I don't think so. You can do the opposite, and block specific people, but I don't think you can allow only specific people.

TBH the only thing that would work is putting a stupidly high price with a best offer option, and only accepting the right person's offer.

Given how many times I've seen absurd listing prices (like 5-6 figures for things that cost $20) I can only imagine this is the reason.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There's a $200 Volvo 740 wagon near me, says "runs with some tinkering". Anyone in Denver looking form something like that?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Re the van driver who drove into a crowd today:

not the usual 'he was such a quiet man' from his neighbours:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/19/finsbury-park-suspect-named-as-father-of-four-darren-osborne-6720145/

quote:

Dave Ashford, 52, said: ‘Someone called me and said it was him and I said ‘It can’t be’. Then I saw the picture on the news and said ‘S***, it’s him’.’

Another neighbour said: ‘He had lived on the estate for a few years. He’s always been a complete c*** but this is really surprising.’

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

just go test drive everything that's remotely interesting in the 20-25k bracket

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

just go test drive everything that's remotely interesting in the 20-25k bracket

I've been looking for cool cars locally, nothing has cropped up that I can afford or that checks the boxes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I've been looking for cool cars locally, nothing has cropped up that I can afford or that checks the boxes.

I feel that somehow this is an elaborate ruse to try to show that you did your due diligence before telling us that you really love the PT Cruiser and are going to keep it as your sole car. And soulmate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

I feel that somehow this is an elaborate ruse to try to show that you did your due diligence before telling us that you really love the PT Cruiser and are going to keep it as your sole car. And soulmate.

He's already got it torn down to do a 100-point subframe-off restoration.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

I mean, this could still happen. I do need to get that p/s line patched though.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Like Dave says - maybe the new rules are only for if you take it to court (which I suspect they would have to do to find out an accurate weekly income from which to calculate a fine?), or perhaps their approach differs if you already have points? (I did the online check and my previous points are old enough to have dropped off), or maybe they just haven't started using those rules yet?

The letter I have now is a 'conditional offer of fixed penalty', where my offence is simply 'Speeding - exceeding 30mph on a restricted road'.

I actually have 3 options on it: 3 points + £100 (payment details overleaf..); go to court (costs £85 + whatever fine you may get); or 'I already have 9 or more points on my licence' (no payment required at this time...)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Update on my stalling Accord for those who are interested: I have found a technical service bulletin for this exact problem for the model year 2000 Accords. I have not yet found one for the 1999, and since the problem in the 2000s is the factory fuel pressure regulator being improperly built to handle "winter mix" gasoline sold in colder climates (eg. Canada) I'm starting to wonder if the 1999s have a similar problem.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

some_admin posted:

There's a $200 Volvo 740 wagon near me, says "runs with some tinkering". Anyone in Denver looking form something like that?

As a rust-belt resident; I will always be looking for something like that.

My in-state $500 find just had a roof-rack mocked up this evening.

Eventually it's going to get 235/75r/15s knobbies, budget lift & roller-paint. Maybe an LS if i stay motivated.
Right now, though, I'm just getting it ready to reliable haul 4 dudes & 1 pupper to a weekend of camping.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I autocrossed a golf R once. I don't know how that compares to a r32. I didn't like it much. It was pretty heavily modded and normally sets times around the same as my stock e46 M3. My problem with it is it drove like a FWD car, not as huckable and throttle steery at all to my feeling anyway. If I have AWD I want it heavily rear biased, I don't much like my WRX on road, on dirt it's not bad but you really have to grab it by the scruff of the neck, throw it around, and keep the throttle planted for it to not understeer (exaggeration, going slower and more controlled weigh transfer leads to balanced driving, but it's not as fun as making sideways choo choo sounds while pretending your Marcus Grönholm).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got offered a trade on the PT Cruiser.

A fuckin' Festiva!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

A fuckin' Festiva!

FUCKIN DO IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfMFtXu3Lz4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Good lord is that a terrible car.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Good lord is that a terrible car.

I'm genuinely surprised that its wheels are that small.

Two words: Donk Festiva.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

A fuckin' Festiva!
This may not be appealing to you but I have watched with interest the amount of salvage/rebuilt Focus ST and a few RS's popping up. Wrecked right and fixed right could be a hell of a bargain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's appealing as hell but they don't have pictures of the car and as the story goes it's been sitting in a backyard for two years so I doubt it's worth salvaging.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's appealing as hell but they don't have pictures of the car and as the story goes it's been sitting in a backyard for two years so I doubt it's worth salvaging.

I'm talking about fully rebuilt ones on eBay that go for $12-18k, 2016's with 5k mikes

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

everdave posted:

I can order from a parts supplier here, message me if you really want to do this but new laptops are cheap these days, but I can help if you want to do a new mobo.

New laptops not so cheap here. For $500 I would have to get a smaller screen (I like the 14"), or have something non upgradeable/repairable and just built real cheap. I'd need to spend $700 for something equivalent, and even then, that's what the lenovo e520 cost and I don't like it as much as the vostro. Send me an email at gmail

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

New laptops not so cheap here. For $500 I would have to get a smaller screen (I like the 14"), or have something non upgradeable/repairable and just built real cheap. I'd need to spend $700 for something equivalent, and even then, that's what the lenovo e520 cost and I don't like it as much as the vostro. Send me an email at p.hough7 at gmail

I will follow up with you tomorrow

• Locked thread