Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Actually though, what do people think of stormraven vs land raider crusader for carrying terminators?

Stormraven carries more guns and is cheaper, is faster, the durability difference is probably a wash because of hard to hit. Crusader carries more though, with the stormraven I'd have to carry 5 terminators + a power armor chaplain and apothecary, in the land raider it can be a terminator chaplain plus lots of other poo poo. But the storm raven can carry my contemptor into battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

chutche2 posted:

Actually though, what do people think of stormraven vs land raider crusader for carrying terminators?

Stormraven carries more guns and is cheaper, is faster, the durability difference is probably a wash because of hard to hit. Crusader carries more though, with the stormraven I'd have to carry 5 terminators + a power armor chaplain and apothecary, in the land raider it can be a terminator chaplain plus lots of other poo poo. But the storm raven can carry my contemptor into battle.

I really like flyers because of the whole RAPID TACTICAL INSERTION angle and I am not a big tank fan. I guess it depends what you expect to be fighting. If you are talking about which one to drop your money on I would get the Raven because it's flexible, flyers are good and it can poo poo out a dreadnought.

The Raven is of course way more dangerous for the guys riding in it should they be shot down, but I like to live on the edge.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JBP posted:

I really like flyers because of the whole RAPID TACTICAL INSERTION angle and I am not a big tank fan. I guess it depends what you expect to be fighting. If you are talking about which one to drop your money on I would get the Raven because it's flexible, flyers are good and it can poo poo out a dreadnought.

The Raven is of course way more dangerous for the guys riding in it should they be shot down, but I like to live on the edge.

This sounds like good advice, thanks.

I'll probably get a crusader too though. Having a crusader in the list gives me a non-relic heavy support slot, letting me field a deimos predator or my sicaran venator. But looking over my options I think the stormraven is better if I'm not doing that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm fielding a Hydra in this edition, because Guard hitting keyword [FLY] units on a 3+ is hilarious

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I've been waiting 16 years to throw some Tau together, seems like now is a good time. I kinda want to focus more on the various Fire Warrior Teams in Devilfish and smaller battlesuits than Riptides and Hammerheads. Is it too early to tell how that will work out?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

I'm fielding a Hydra in this edition, because Guard hitting keyword [FLY] units on a 3+ is hilarious

Yeah when I first read that rule I figured Hydras would be a bit lackluster but after realizing just how many units have fly I see that they're gonna be fantastic.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Jeff Sichoe posted:

So in NZ all the Death Guard spray is sold out

At GW

At online third parties

At local hobby stores

so here I am base-coating by HAND like some sort of MONSTER

gahhhhhhhhhh

I heard from Vagabond that it wasn't sold out, but actually couldn't be imported this quickly due to Safety Regulations or somesuch.

Just spend ~150bux on an airbrush instead, a totally reasonable solution.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

StuG Jeebus posted:

I've been waiting 16 years to throw some Tau together, seems like now is a good time. I kinda want to focus more on the various Fire Warrior Teams in Devilfish and smaller battlesuits than Riptides and Hammerheads. Is it too early to tell how that will work out?

Do you consider the Ghostkeel small? because every report Ive read with that thing has involved it just tearing through poo poo.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Take a look at these good boys! They're red and psychic :3:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So two possible lists, one version with a Stormraven and one with a Land Raider. The Land Raider has an advantage in that having it gives me a non-relic heavy support, opening up options for taking relic tanks.

First one:
Vaylund Cal (200)

Tac squad with combi-flamer, plasma, grav cannon (182)
Rhino with 2 storm bolters (74)

Tac squad with combi-flamer, plasma, plasma cannon (175)

Scout squad with snipers and camo (90)

Terminator squad with assault cannon (243)

Predator with TL lascannon, 2 heavy bolters, storm bolter, hunter-killer

And then the stormraven with assault cannons, typhoon launcher, and hurricane bolters (307) carrying a chaplain with a plasma pistol (79), and apothecary (55), cataphractii terminators with heavy flamer, chainfists and lightning claws (245) and a multimelta contemptor (167)

Vs:

Vaylund Cal (200)

2x tac squads with combi-flamers, plasma, plasma cannon (350)

Scout squad with snipers (75)

Contemptor with assault cannon (165)

Terminator squad with assault cannon (243)

Relic Sicaran venator with 3x heavy bolters and a hunter-killer (281)

And then a land raider crusader (Hunter-killer, storm bolter, multimelta) carrying the same group as the stormraven, minus the heavy flamer on the terminators.

The sicaran venator looks fun. Even if I'm not fighting vehicles, the neutron cannon wounds T6 MCs on a 2+, it's fast as poo poo with a good number of wounds, and can fire heavy weapons on the move.

Or instead of the sicaran, I could field a plasma destroyer relic predator with lascannon sponsons plus a rhino.

Vaylund's not very good but he's cool as hell and so I'm going to use him. He only gets 3 attacks and T6 isn't as good anymore, but a giant cyborged techmarine seems fun.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 20, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The gator head is the best one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Tonight on Stargate 40,000

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Texmo posted:

I heard from Vagabond that it wasn't sold out, but actually couldn't be imported this quickly due to Safety Regulations or somesuch.

Just spend ~150bux on an airbrush instead, a totally reasonable solution.

Yeah the dude at GW welly said they have to ship the sprays by boat so there is an inherent 3 month lag... no spray till christmas he reckoned!

Yes, you're right, this might be the time to jump into airbrushing...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Have you guys checked out Tarantulas? I can't believe how cheap they are. 10 points a model for a T5 W4 3+ save turret with BS4+ and a selection of heavy weapons. RAW you only have limited targeting with the heavy bolter and lascannon, you could spend 90 points to put two tarantulas with twin assault cannons down on either side of the field and just shut down any infantry coming within 24 inches. They've got a pretty good chance of surviving one hit from heavy weaponry, and will tank a ton of small arms fire. 60 points for a twin lascannon platform, Guard pay 48 for 2 lascannon teams but guard isn't T5 with a 3+ save.

They're also the cheapest way to fill out a fast attack slot if trying for a brigade detachment it looks like. 81 points gets you 3 of them with twin heavy bolters to fill your 3 slots. Could be a cheap way to make outrider detachments for extra CP if you wanted, if you were already taking the extra HQs. They can also shoot while in melee, which is pretty great. They're hit automatically, but if they live through it they can unload assault cannon fire or whatever point blank into what charged them.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 20, 2017

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Do you consider the Ghostkeel small? because every report Ive read with that thing has involved it just tearing through poo poo.

It's larger than I would like, I'll have to see where I end up points wise once I have at least 1 of everything else I want. I definitely like it more than the riptide.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

StuG Jeebus posted:

Add in a ghostkeel, a sniper drone team, at least 2 broadsides, and a bunch of drones and you'd have a nice little team.

The broadsides alone poo poo out at least 24-48 missiles (if you take 2 missile drones each) at minimum 30", and you can toss in 1 seeker missile per model with a 72" range.

If you want to get tricky, you can infiltrate Shadowsun (12+ inches from the nearest enemy unit) with her 2 drones, and 3 stealth suits plus 2 drones (effectively/potentially giving her loving 15 wounds). Not to mention her two S8 AP -4 D6 Fusion blasters.

Run up Darkstrider and add another -1T to enemy units when you target them in your shooting phase, plus give her the ability to fall back and shoot in the same turn, and you have a wasp swarm of pain your opponent has to deal with. Plus, he has a god drat markerlight.

Back that poo poo up with a couple of broadsides, and crisis suits with 3 weapons each bouncing around...

:unsmigghh:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 20, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have:
9 Crisis Suits with broken ankles
Pathfinders with Snipers
Stealth Suits
60 Fire Warriors
3 Devilfish
3 Hammerheads
9 Broadsides with broken ankles

All purchased 15 years ago. How far away is this from a Tau army?

(Do any bits makers make replacement feet?)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
how the hell do the black templars not have a section banner in the op when the op himself has painted some very pretty templar boys?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

dexefiend posted:

I have:
9 Crisis Suits with broken ankles
Pathfinders with Snipers
Stealth Suits
60 Fire Warriors
3 Devilfish
3 Hammerheads
9 Broadsides with broken ankles

All purchased 15 years ago. How far away is this from a Tau army?

(Do any bits makers make replacement feet?)

:stare:

If you buy shadowsun, darkstrider, and a ghostkeel, you basically have a Brigade detachment or two, that will end up being over 4k points.

You just need some HQ to fulfill the requirements, and the two I mentioned are the most aggressive and synergistic.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I really want to do a dreadnought heavy imp. fists army. Is that viable now? Does the normal dread and contemptor "scale" well? Do they both make sense or is one just better?
I don't suppose stats for bigmar dread is out yet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CC dreads "loving own" now allegedly. So I don't see why not.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I don't think normal dreads are particularly worth it. I mean if you've got the models go for it, but contemptors are so much better at CC. They're better at it than ironclads. And for shooting, go with a venerable dread or a mortis.

But dreads are rad as gently caress no matter what kind it is, and you'll do pretty well with any of them. Contemptors are just far and away your best bet for CC outside of forgeworld lwith them being way faster, having an invuln, and 2+ to hit at higher strength. Ironclads can do tons of damage and are T8, but their hammer hits on a 4+ and a contemptor will wound T7 vehicles (which is everything lighter than a land raider) on 2+.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 20, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm thinking of getting a second force that can double as a Age of Sigmar army, and Chaos Demons (Khorne) is top of my list.

I've been list building with battlescribe but can't seem to add chaos space marines as troop choices in a demon detachment. I thought this was legal due to sharing the same keywords. Am I wrong or is this a problem with Battlescribe?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Serotonin posted:

I'm thinking of getting a second force that can double as a Age of Sigmar army, and Chaos Demons (Khorne) is top of my list.

I've been list building with battlescribe but can't seem to add chaos space marines as troop choices in a demon detachment. I thought this was legal due to sharing the same keywords. Am I wrong or is this a problem with Battlescribe?

It's a problem with Battlescribe.

Best bet is to add a second Daemons detachment and ignore all the illegal army warnings.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Serotonin posted:

Am I wrong or is this a problem with Battlescribe?
CD and CSM are different catalogs in BattleScribe. They share a keyword, but you still have to tell BS that you want them in the same detachment.

Edit your roster and add a force. BS will ask you to select a parent force. Select your existing detachment of daemons. Then add in CSM. The two forces will be separated on the screen, but selections from CD and CSM will both count towards the detachment restrictions.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Cheers guys.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm glad that 8th makes Proper Chaos an easy thing to have again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Corrode posted:

I'm glad that 8th makes Proper Chaos an easy thing to have again.

Honestly in general the keyword system is so much easier. Particularly toward the end, 7th got big on the imperium allied detachments and that was a messy and cumbersome way to manage like a dozen factions. Then you ended up with stuff like the 1st and 3rd triumverate which let you put them in any imperial army detachment further mucking it up.
Now the keywords really delineate it and let you just throw in what you want.

As an eldar player i feel similarly about harlequins because they were always more of a pain to ally that they should have been (no HQs so no allied detachment for them)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JBP posted:

CC dreads "loving own" now allegedly. So I don't see why not.

I've been tempted to add a Death Company dread to my army because I'm making them BA successors.

:getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
E: I am dumb

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like I must be completely blind to it, but can someone tell me what page the rule is on that says you can't have detachments from different factions in the same army?

It's in the Battle-forged Armies bit I think, all it says is that stuff has to share at least one Faction keyword.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Corrode posted:

It's in the Battle-forged Armies bit I think, all it says is that stuff has to share at least one Faction keyword.

I just found what I was looking for, it's on p.312 under matched play, all units except unaligned must share at least one faction keyword in common

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Megaspam posted:

CD and CSM are different catalogs in BattleScribe. They share a keyword, but you still have to tell BS that you want them in the same detachment.

Edit your roster and add a force. BS will ask you to select a parent force. Select your existing detachment of daemons. Then add in CSM. The two forces will be separated on the screen, but selections from CD and CSM will both count towards the detachment restrictions.

Does this mean gsc can be put in a Tyranid detachment?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

muggins posted:

Yep.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

muggins posted:

Yes it does. Neophytes are a great way to get some back field shooting and objective campers. Just keep in mind that the entire detachment must be gene cult if you want to cult ambush.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Since there's no entry for a "Boss Nob" in the points index, the current interpretation is that one model in the squad gets a free upgrade (similar to a veteran/sergeant tax) at whatever the base model costs (plus the Nob's wargear, obv.) ...is this accurate to how other Ork players have been paying for Boss Nob upgrades in Boyz squads?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So did they get rid of heavy armor for Orks?

What about looted wagons?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

goose willis posted:

So did they get rid of heavy armor for Orks?

What about looted wagons?

Both are gone. Some units come with the armor, but it's no longer an upgrade.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Master Twig posted:

Yes it does. Neophytes are a great way to get some back field shooting and objective campers. Just keep in mind that the entire detachment must be gene cult if you want to cult ambush.

Ahhh yes I just noticed that. Could be a good way to get some extra units, buy if you want ambush you gotta do a real detachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Since there's no entry for a "Boss Nob" in the points index, the current interpretation is that one model in the squad gets a free upgrade (similar to a veteran/sergeant tax) at whatever the base model costs (plus the Nob's wargear, obv.) ...is this accurate to how other Ork players have been paying for Boss Nob upgrades in Boyz squads?

Yeah. It says somewhere else (I forgot where) that squad leaders are free upgrades.