Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Two Finger posted:

Thank them for their cervix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Someone on a dating site opened their message to me with "hey what's up? Thanks for your service..." :mad:

Why are you indicating that you are a veteran on your profile in the first place? :raise:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

is he a loving revolutionary war reenactor or a band geek

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Why are you indicating that you are a veteran on your profile in the first place? :raise:

I had an old photo of me and some friends on post in civilians with some army poo poo in the background. Chillax

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I will say one thing about being army and/or infantry: it definitely did make getting laid easy.

Never tried to play the vet card though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Rad Lieutenant posted:

well gently caress that guy

Called it

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
i forgot that he's gay and was momentarily confused when i saw that it wasnt a pansexual vegan fat chick with black nail polish sending the message.

TBeats posted:

why do i care about my driving record?

if you're gonna try and play this card, you should have probably attended the class, made an alternate arrangement or paid the fine prior to getting your license suspended. that conviction date is probably when the hearing for your offense was set to have occurred. if 6 months of time between when you paid the fine and conviction date is worth talking to every retarded person in the planet between the dmv, the court clerks and vasap(if this happened in va), go hog wild. its still a misdemeanor driving violation whether you got convicted in june or december.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

quote:

if you're gonna try and play this card, you should have probably attended the class, made an alternate arrangement or paid the fine prior to getting your license suspended.
probably, but i didn't. i guess since i wasn't responsible then i should just keep throwing responsibility to the wind.

quote:

that conviction date is probably when the hearing for your offense was set to have occurred. if 6 months of time between when you paid the fine and conviction date is worth talking to every retarded person in the planet between the dmv, the court clerks and vasap(if this happened in va), go hog wild. its still a misdemeanor driving violation whether you got convicted in june or december.

thanks!

i really don't understand why you are being a prick about me wanting to understand my driving record, but uh... good on you i guess

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

About an hour before noon today, I start hearing a rather annoyed roommate storming around the apartment and having shouting-matches with his girlfriend (again), shortly before I hear a lot of poo poo being moved around and the front door slamming over the past couple of hours. Half an hour ago, guy sends me a text pleading for me to not lock the front door this evening, because "they"'d be changing the locks at 5, and he needs more time to evac poo poo from the living room.
:lol:
gently caress him. Lock the door.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Two Finger posted:

Thank them for their cervix

im honestly kinda disappointed that Naughty America or someone else hasn't put out a series of Thanks For Your Cervix spoofs

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

gently caress him. Lock the door.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Wait until he's inside. Lock the door. gently caress him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Naked Bear posted:

Lock him. gently caress the door.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I like the cut of your jib.

Dude's 6'4", so I'll have to work on my double-leg takedown in the next 2 hours...or just drink beer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

him the. gently caress door Lock.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Proud Christian Mom posted:

im honestly kinda disappointed that Naughty America or someone else hasn't put out a series of Thanks For Your Cervix spoofs

activeduty.com

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:dogge:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 30, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

God drat I love relishing with the fact that I don't have a roommate and all of my neighbors are awesome.

Seriously, neighbors make or break you. One lovely neighbor or roommate can ruin your life.

We all have each other's numbers, are respectful, text if something is too loud, watch each other's dogs. Everyone's lights are off at 9-10, no one parties hard. It's great.

-edit I actually do have a roommate who is kind of lovely sometimes when they decide to piss on my $700 soundbar because I forgot to take him out at night 🤔

Sounds like you might be the problem :thunk:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
bike dudes

i'm not ready for fancy clipless pedals/shoes and all. right now i just ride in my adidas sambas, any recommendations for better shoes to wear? (i have toe clip/cages/whatever they're called)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You could try the velcro strap pedals instead

Origin8 Pro-Grip II Pedal Straps, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JWZ4MG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KujszbWQ0D2VA

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You could try the velcro strap pedals instead

Origin8 Pro-Grip II Pedal Straps, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JWZ4MG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KujszbWQ0D2VA

I already have these and they seem to work well, was more wondering about shoes to wear along with them

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Just go clipless. Stiff soles evenly distribute the load on your feet while pedaling and it's much more comfortable than riding distance in sneakers. If you want to be able to walk around off the bike you can get mountain bike pedals and shoes instead of "road" shoes. check out the bike thread in ylls. Lots of good info for people just getting in to riding.

E: clipless is also safer than those toe cages btw. You can get your feet out quickly with just your feet by moving your ankles out. Toe cages, if they're tightened, require you to reach down and loosen them which isn't great for an emergency stop.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 20, 2017

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Just go clipless. Stiff soles evenly distribute the load on your feet while pedaling and it's much more comfortable than riding distance in sneakers. If you want to be able to walk around off the bike you can get mountain bike pedals and shoes instead of "road" shoes. check out the bike thread in ylls. Lots of good info for people just getting in to riding.

E: clipless is also safer than those toe cages btw. You can get your feet out quickly with just your feet by moving your ankles out. Toe cages, if they're tightened, require you to reach down and loosen them which isn't great for an emergency stop.

I keep them loose enough to get out of quickly. I am going to move to clipless eventually, just not ready for the investment in new pedals/one-use footwear when I'm just now getting into the hobby.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I test rode a bike with toe cages and felt unsafe the entire time. I made a year and a half before falling down with clipless pedals.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah, I gotcha. It's an expensive hobby for sure. Check this out https://magazine.bikesoup.com/buyers-guide-commuter-touring-shoe-round/

Maybe get something like these, meant for peddling& walking around a bit, and then add cleats and clipless pedals when it suits you.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Yeah, I gotcha. It's an expensive hobby for sure. Check this out https://magazine.bikesoup.com/buyers-guide-commuter-touring-shoe-round/

Maybe get something like these, meant for peddling& walking around a bit, and then add cleats and clipless pedals when it suits you.

This is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Honestly, my dude, the sooner you go clipless the sooner you'll be glad that you did. Even though it seems weird at first to have a pair of shoes which serve only one extremely narrow purpose, clipless is far superior to anything else in every possible way. It's not an exaggeration to say that my mind was blown the first time I rode clipless. If you really, really need to walk around, just stuff a pair of shoes in a little pack. It's a minor inconvenience.

They don't make them anymore, but if you can somehow dig up a pair of Crank Brothers Quattros (even used; you can get rebuild kits), I highly recommend you give them a try. Combine those with the Crank Bros 3-hole cleats and you'll have a very solid setup with cleats that you can actually kinda sorta walk on.

e: By "kinda sorta walk on" I mean that you won't instantly eat poo poo the first time you hop off the bike.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 20, 2017

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Honestly, my dude, the sooner you go clipless the sooner you'll be glad that you did. Even though it seems weird at first to have a pair of shoes which serve only one extremely narrow purpose, clipless is far superior to anything else in every possible way. It's not an exaggeration to say that my mind was blown the first time I rode clipless. If you really, really need to walk around, just stuff a pair of shoes in a little pack. It's a minor inconvenience.

They don't make them anymore, but if you can somehow dig up a pair of Crank Brothers Quattros (even used; you can get rebuild kits), I highly recommend you give them a try. Combine those with the Crank Bros 3-hole cleats and you'll have a very solid setup with cleats that you can actually kinda sorta walk on.

e: By "kinda sorta walk on" I mean that you won't instantly eat poo poo the first time you hop off the bike.

one of the things that kinda worries me about clipless is getting to try any on, specialized footwear gets hard to find when you're a size 13 :(

i need to spend a day trolling around the bike shops around here

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Shoes might actually be a little easier (in a way) to sort out because some of them will be in European sizes, so you can do a little more fine-grained sizing. It's worth the effort!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

on a scale of 1 (alcoholic runaway dad) to 10 (dad godhood) how bad is it that I want a Ruger bolt action to use to shoot at a range?

i know nothing about guns.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

on a scale of 1 (alcoholic runaway dad) to 10 (dad godhood) how bad is it that I want a Ruger bolt action to use to shoot at a range?

i know nothing about guns.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but if you want to be a dad god you could get a 10/22 break down and suppress it :getin:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but if you want to be a dad god you could get a 10/22 break down and suppress it :getin:

getting a suppresor in california is a pain in the rear end

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Which is what would put it closer to godlike.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Pretty sure they're illegal in California lmao

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A .22 rifle is pretty god damned quiet anyways. You don't even need hearing protection for them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Pretty sure they're illegal in California lmao

quote:

CALIFORNIA SILENCER LAWS
It is illegal to possess a silencer in the state of California. The state legislature defines a silencer as any device meant to silence, diminish or muffle a firearm. This device can be officially manufactured as a silencer or created by the gun owner. Possession of a silencer is a felony in California and can lead to imprisonment, a $10,000 fine or both.

EXCEPTIONS TO CALIFORNIA'S SILENCER LAWS
Peace officers in California are allowed to own and carry silencers. A peace officer is defined as any military or naval officer, a sheriff, undersheriff, deputy sheriff, chief of police, chief executive officer of consolidated municipal public safety agencies that perform police activities, police officers, marshals, deputy marshals, port wardens, port police, inspectors and investigators in the district attorney's office. This list comes from Section 830.1 of the California Penal Code. These peace officer must be regular, salaried, full-time officers and can use silencers when on duty or during the course of duty.

Essentially yes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

ded posted:

A .22 rifle is pretty god damned quiet anyways. You don't even need hearing protection for them.

This is really bad advice

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

This is really bad advice
Well how do you harden your eardrums?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

ded posted:

WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Mawp

Mawp

• Locked thread