Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, it has nothing to do with "skill level" (as if your profession were a video game.). The floors and ceilings here have very little to do with how progressed you are down a mythical mastery tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

100% this. I am not doing a fraction of the good to society that a decent bus driver is.

Not to mention that they are generally wonderful people who have made my life easier many times before. I am sure that BART or whatever it was sees fit to pay them that much for a good reason.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I drove charters in Sacramento too, but I guess I'm just No True Busman

Obviously no, you are the expert.

quote:

That's not my argument. I'm saying that my previous 3 years of Honda Civic experience isn't the same as apprenticing as an electrician for the same amount of time.

Sure, definitely. Their (okay, our) argument is that other things should effect the price of skilled labor besides the rarity and apparent-cost-of-acquisition of the skills. And I'd add, there is a higher cap to driving skills than may be obvious: professional driving gives you many more miles of experience than just a regular commute, and I imagine having your livelihood on the line focused your attention pretty well? And then there's racecar people but that's an extreme - and extremely different - example.

In my experience so far, people in SF tend to think that their city is the best, and that there's a ton of money in it, so every public good which isn't correspondingly hugely funded and made the best is an insult. The left/right disagreements are often just over whether public or private solutions would be best.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

In my experience so far, people in SF tend to think that their city is the best

:what:

(e: to be clear, this is at those people)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also keep in mind that a person with a class B license is held to a higher standard- they get 1.5x as many points for moving violations, and that is even if it occurred when they were in a regular Honda Civic when it happened. A DWI is a 3month suspension, and a DUI a 1 year suspension which also stays on your record for 10 years, pretty much a career killer. A DUI on a Class B is also at .04% BAC, not .08%. And infractions involving a commercial passenger vehicle impose fines that are based on the number of passengers on board. This probably sounds reasonable, but the operator better hope the CHP officer that nails him isn't particularly petty and slaps a $2,500+ fine for not making a "complete" (2+ seconds) stop at a railroad crossing, or inadvertently inching forward a tiny bit when a school bus has its red lights flashing at the time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Their (okay, our) argument is that other things should effect the price of skilled labor besides the rarity and apparent-cost-of-acquisition of the skills.
And what, exactly, should those other things be? And how proportionately large an effect are you talking about.

Panfilo posted:

This probably sounds reasonable, but the operator better hope the CHP officer that nails him isn't particularly petty and slaps a $2,500+ fine for not making a "complete" (2+ seconds) stop at a railroad crossing, or inadvertently inching forward a tiny bit when a school bus has its red lights flashing at the time.
I want to hear more about this mythical CHP officer who is ticketing city busses for minor traffic infractions absent a serious threat to public safety.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dead Reckoning posted:

And what, exactly, should those other things be? And how proportionately large an effect are you talking about.

I want to hear more about this mythical CHP officer who is ticketing city buses for minor traffic infractions absent a serious threat to public safety.

I really don't like your use of "should" there, mainly because it implies that we have to come up with a list of things to affect the price of skilled labor besides rarity and cost of aquisition when the example already given (learning how to program) is already WAY out of line with those things. Make your own arguments. Don't fish for us to do it for you.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I want to hear more about this mythical CHP officer who is ticketing city busses for minor traffic infractions absent a serious threat to public safety.

Yeah that's not what that post said. Go back and read it again.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Yeah that's not what that post said. Go back and read it again.
Yeah, it was.

Panfilo posted:

And infractions involving a commercial passenger vehicle impose fines that are based on the number of passengers on board. This probably sounds reasonable, but the operator better hope the CHP officer that nails him isn't particularly petty and slaps a $2,500+ fine for not making a "complete" (2+ seconds) stop at a railroad crossing, or inadvertently inching forward a tiny bit when a school bus has its red lights flashing at the time.

Otherwise the $2,500 California roll handwringing doesn't make sense.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I literally couldn't give a poo poo how long their training is. My job training was 2 weeks too, and I'm a techbro, so it's just assumed that I have a valuable skill that deserves loads of money. Bus driving is an unpleasant, unrewarding job that most people do not want to do and it deserves comfortable pay and good benefits -- not just a living wage.

Ok cool I agree with you.

All I was saying is that bus driving isn't the ancient Chinese secret that people in this thread were making it out to be.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

http://www.ocregister.com/2015/06/20/chp-imposes-ticket-quotas-veteran-officer-tells-court/

Ok cool I agree with you.

All I was saying is that bus driving isn't the ancient Chinese secret that people in this thread were making it out to be.

Awesome. Glad we can agree.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The CHP commanders telling officers to write more cites (lovely, but unsurprising) really doesn't have anything to do with the idea that a CHP officer would A) be actively doing traffic enforcement in an incorporated urban area large enough to have its own bus system, and B) would choose to pull over a city bus for a minor traffic infraction, rather than, say, pulling over the first beater Oldsmobile s/he can hook up for VC 22450 and maybe find some bonus drugs and warrants.

Did you think I wouldn't read the link?

Pulling over a bus is 100% likely to start a pissing match with the city transit authority (again, barring some impossible-to-ignore hazard to public safety) and will certainly involve a court appearance, because people with CDLs take their driving record Very Seriously. It's basically a zero upside proposition for the cop, to the extent that I would be surprised if it has happened at all in recent memory.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Did you think I wouldn't read the link?

Good Christ you're impossibly smarmy. I posted the link as proof that CHP officers have incentive to ticket people for minor infractions. Whatever mythical hypotheticals you invent to explain why they wouldn't do that to a city bus are your own problem.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
My contention was that it was absurd for a city bus driver to worry about receiving a ruinously expensive ticket (absent obvious speeding or some larger threat to public safety) after being pulled over by the CHP for a minor infraction while driving their bus, and that Panfilo's hand-wringing was ridiculous on multiple levels.

Your rebuttal to this is apparently, "the CHP has incentives to write citations for minor traffic infractions", which manages to be completely irrelevant to the whole "city bus" thing which was the entire point of the conversation related to the difficulties of being a city bus driver.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Pulling over a bus

You don't read very well, do you?

Panfilo posted:

Also keep in mind that a person with a class B license is held to a higher standard- they get 1.5x as many points for moving violations, and that is even if it occurred when they were in a regular Honda Civic when it happened.

Panfilo's contention is that they can get hosed over while driving their personal vehicles.

It's in the first line of what you quoted when you decided to go tilting at windmills or whatever the gently caress

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You don't read very well, do you?

Panfilo's contention is that they can get hosed over while driving their personal vehicles.

It's in the first line of what you quoted when you decided to go tilting at windmills or whatever the gently caress
:ironicat:

It's 100% clear in the sentence I quoted that he's talking about a driver operating a commercial vehicle with passengers.

Panfilo posted:

And infractions involving a commercial passenger vehicle impose fines that are based on the number of passengers on board. This probably sounds reasonable, but the operator better hope the CHP officer that nails him isn't particularly petty and slaps a $2,500+ fine for not making a "complete" (2+ seconds) stop at a railroad crossing, or inadvertently inching forward a tiny bit when a school bus has its red lights flashing at the time.

The funny part is, you're the second person on this page to manage to self-own while trying for a pointless "can't you read?!" burn.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

oops

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I got pulled over driving a bus once. I was dodging trees in a double decker, as we were trained to do. It wasn't a CHP officer though and I didn't get a ticket.

It's not hard it imagine it happening over the course of someone's career though. Pulling over a bus makes cops feel big and strong.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You don't have a defend a job as being technically complex and hard for it to deserve a living wage, and I'll never understand the impulse of so many leftists to reflexively do so. It's fine to admit that some jobs are relatively low-skill, not terribly difficult ones, and that the people doing them should still be guaranteed enough to live dignified, fulfilling lives

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
People dont choose to be born workaholics or lazy.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

themrguy posted:

You don't have a defend a job as being technically complex and hard for it to deserve a living wage, and I'll never understand the impulse of so many leftists to reflexively do so. It's fine to admit that some jobs are relatively low-skill, not terribly difficult ones, and that the people doing them should still be guaranteed enough to live dignified, fulfilling lives

Thank you for expressing this better than me.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I got pulled over driving a bus once. I was dodging trees in a double decker, as we were trained to do. It wasn't a CHP officer though and I didn't get a ticket.

It's not hard it imagine it happening over the course of someone's career though. Pulling over a bus makes cops feel big and strong.

I've been in a bus that was pulled over before in California, it totally does happen.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Whelp...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://speaker.asmdc.org/press-releases/speaker-rendon-statement-health-care

quote:

Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Lakewood) released the following statement on health care:

“Yesterday, Republicans in the U.S. Senate released a cynical plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act, posing a real and immediate threat to millions of Californians who only have health coverage because of the ACA.

“Preparing California to meet this threat must be the top health care priority for the Legislature, Governor Brown, and organizations that advocate for increasing access to health care.

“As someone who has long been a supporter of single payer, I am encouraged by the conversation begun by Senate Bill 562.

“However, SB 562 was sent to the Assembly woefully incomplete. Even senators who voted for SB 562 noted there are potentially fatal flaws in the bill, including the fact it does not address many serious issues, such as financing, delivery of care, cost controls, or the realities of needed action by the Trump Administration and voters to make SB 562 a genuine piece of legislation.

“In light of this, I have decided SB 562 will remain in the Assembly Rules Committee until further notice.

“Because this is the first year of a two-year session, this action does not mean SB 562 is dead. In fact, it leaves open the exact deep discussion and debate the senators who voted for SB 562 repeatedly said is needed.

“The Senate can use that time to fill the holes in SB 562 and pass and send to the Assembly workable legislation that addresses financing, delivery of care, and cost control.

“The fight for single payer also is moving forward on other fronts. The head of the Campaign for a Healthy California, an organization created to pass SB 562, has acknowledged their ultimate goal is to get a single payer initiative on the ballot, and there remains ample time for them to pursue that before November 2018.

“As those potential options work themselves out, the Assembly will stand with our partners to focus on the real, immediate threat to Californians' health care posed by Republicans in Washington.”

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I mean, I see his point, but ugh.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly, it's exactly what I want to hear, because I want something that is going to be workable and viable I the long term.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Sorta sounds like he's just waiting for a referendum that will allow the corporate/establishment dems to keep sitting on the fence. I think that's a dangerous and cowardly approach because initiatives are written by advocacy groups, not legislators. We have a better chance of getting ambitious single payer through initiative, but a much worse chance of getting something functional, fundable, or constitutional.

Maybe it's just lip service for Brown and the other skeptics, maybe they're hoping the referendum will fail, maybe he really is just delaying a little bit to work out some kinks. Whatever his thinking though, gently caress him for pretending that "single payer" and "ballot initiative" even belong in the same sentence. No one who actually cared about good governance or accountability would ever allow something this complex and important to be punted to the uninformed public and literal special interests.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

speaking of special interests

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not as big as the SB 562 thing, but after Fresno rather solidly voted in favor of Prop 64, the city council here decided to ban recreational marijuana in the city, with two council members going against what their districts voted for to do so. So that's fun.

Hopefully will be able to do something about these assholes in the next election. We need to replace the mayor too really; he's not great either.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like this bill sprang out of nowhere. Mark Leno has been submitting a complete bill many times over and over. Complaining that the bill doesn't have the details you need and then killing it before it gets to the committee responsible for fleshing those details out is such bullshit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What a loving liar. The only reason he didn't kill the bill is that Californians would have his head on a goddamn silver platter. We're not going to get poo poo.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Martin Random posted:

It's not like this bill sprang out of nowhere. Mark Leno has been submitting a complete bill many times over and over. Complaining that the bill doesn't have the details you need and then killing it before it gets to the committee responsible for fleshing those details out is such bullshit

I mean, the state legislature PASSED single payer when Schwarzenegger was governor.

Twice.

And he vetoed it both times.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the fact that it doesnt have any measures for funding or cost control mean its pretty much a useless bill.

also its not like CA legislators dont have a history of writing dumbfuck stuff. remember that one marijuana legalization referendum that was so badly put together that even NORML didnt endorse it?

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 26, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

the fact that it doesnt have any measures for funding or cost control mean its pretty much a useless bill.

also its not like CA legislators dont have a history of writing dumbfuck stuff. remember that one marijuana legalization referendum that was so badly put together that even NORML didnt endorse it?

the measures were to be added in at committee

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I like 562 and I support it, but god drat did they come at it rear end backwards.

There's already 4 different UHC bills that have come up in California: Prop 186 in 1994, SB 921 in 2002, SB 840 in 2006 and 2008, SB 810 in 2010 and 2012, and then SB 562 in the current session.

There really was no reason to start from scratch on this one.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
throwing a bill at the lege and saying "figure out all the important bits because i sure as hell didnt bother" does not inspire a great deal of confidence in me

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

honestly this whole thing seems like both chambers intentionally half assed everything about this bill after it left the senate committee in an attempt to kill it

e: which is actually pretty much what happened. no one wanted to go on record as voting scary taxes increases

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

throwing a bill at the lege and saying "figure out all the important bits because i sure as hell didnt bother" does not inspire a great deal of confidence in me

LEGISLATING IS WHAT LEGISLATURES DO.

This bill didn't come out of nowhere. You aren't supposed to come down from a mountain and present a complete bill. There's a negotiative process in committee. If it's incomplete after that or there's a substantive reason to kill it, then kill it out of committee on the floor and after the bill has had a chance to get fleshed out.

WE'VE PASSED THIS THROUGH AN EVEN MORE CONSERVATIVE LEGISLATURE, COMPLETE, and it got vetoed.

They are full of poo poo on this and if we were aware of the true procedural methods and fuckery on this we would be in the streets.

The premature death of this bill is utter bullshit and examples need to be made of Democrats who will happily kill poo poo in esoteric bullshit ways then claim procedural incapacity when given the opportunity to act finally in substantive poo poo that is ON THEIR STATE PARTY PLATFORM AND THEY HAVE A SUPER MAJORITY AND EVERY ONE OF THEM IS MAKING HAY OFF OF AHCA.

these people.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 26, 2017

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Democrats will try to throw the fact that "the legislation wasn't paid for" or other excuses around but the fact is if providing healthcare to the citizens of California were a priority for the dems then they could have found the funds. The state of California has about $1.3 trillion in state and local debt, so it seems as though making sure government programs are fully costed isn't as much of a priority as they might make it out to be. I'm not arguing for a balanced budget, nor am I saying that making sure the legislation was costed appropriately isn't important. Just trying to point out the fact that excuses like there's no money or we'd have to raise taxes or cut this are always the excuses used to halt and destroy working class political concessions.

In my own town (not California) we have property developers who have received multi-million dollar property tax rebates while the city poor-mouths that we don't have the funds to provide adequate housing for our homeless population. How many such deals have been struck between the California state government and property developers, or tech firms, etc. and how much of that money could have gone to providing working class people healthcare instead of another tax cut for the billionaire class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

hell the lost tax revenue from prop 13 alone is probably a trillion or two